Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

SoulChicken posted:

I remember back in the days the FFXIII thread was huge as we shared our love of killing tortoises. I wonder if I should read anything in to this thread being only two pages so far! For some reason I'm nervous about dropping $60 on this one, I'm torn.

The thread's like a day old; the general FF thread had a bunch of pages of LR discussion before ImpAtom caved and made this thread. Also, I imagine some people (including me) are still occupied with other games like Bravely Default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I finally started this a couple days back after finishing Bravely Default. Even though I had read plenty of reports from people saying the time limit was basically no problem at all, I was still a bit apprehensive at the beginning because, hey, it's a timer. Now, though, I've just finished Day 3 and have done two of the main quests and 4/5s of a third. I've also done 27 sidequests and 22 Canvas of Prayers things, so I'm finally starting to feel comfortable about the time crunch (or relative lack thereof).

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are you sure about that? Nothing in game mentions it. And some guy on gamefaqs posted:

I believe I read that thing about the lower HP = stronger attack on that garb when I was skimming the strategy/analysis portion of the guide earlier, actually.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Just tested this on the Ark fighting a boss do I really need to spoil this: Noel: No HP scaling at all. Damage was the same when I was at 100% hp, 50% hp and 10% hp. Scales from the MAG stat not STR stat. Deprotect increases the damage done, not Deshell.

I took another look, and it turns out I was reading about different but similarly named spells to what you were talking about. My bad.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I was skimming strategy/analysis portions of the guide again and happened to find out how lucky I apparently was to randomly stumble upon the rare merchant dude without any foreknowledge of him or his spawn/movement patterns on the first day he was available. This was a super cool thing to happen, too, because I really love abusing Jump with that Shadow Trooper garb.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I'm just starting Day 6, and I really don't have much at all to do at this point. I have a few Canvas of Prayers quests I could work on, along with 2-3 sidequests, but the main quests are all wrapped up. Does anyone have advice on good things to take care of before blitzing to the end of this first playthrough?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Aurain posted:

Yeah, you can. It's probably the beat way to go about it technically. A level 3 Blitz you raised from level 1 will have a lower ATB cost than a level 3 dropped one. The auto ability will be worse in all likelihood but apparently you can mess around with those somehow. It seems more metagaming tactics than anything else though.

Basically if you mix ability A and ability B together and both have different auto-abilities, the ability from A is the one passed on. Fortunately, the game is pretty nice, and the strength multiplier will always be higher than that of the two abilities, and the ATB cost will always be the lower of the two abilities, so order isn't important there. That means that you can farm for a high level ability with a rare auto ability and then just make it eat the one you've raised from level 1 to get the reduced ATB cost and higher strength multiplier.

Note that that's definitely not something necessary to do in a normal playthrough and probably not even super necessary on hard, but it's an option for if you really want to min/max. However, if you do decide to do this, it helps to plan it out, otherwise you'll end up like me and have to do a second run through normal because you extincted the stupid thunder monkeys that end up being the only source of Thundara, Thundaga, and Electric Blitz (among other things).

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 26, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Does anyone have any timing tips or tricks for Whirlwind Kick? I wasn't expecting it to be as hard to get the perfect timing down for it as it has been since I hit smaller windows in fighting games all the time. I guess it's a bit different though with the hits not having the same feel as in a fighting game.

Also, as much as I like the Martial Monk outfit itself, I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed by the Whirlwind Kick animation. I actually like Punt's animation more, but oh well.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Sailor's Tricorne fittingly goes super nicely with the Splendid Admiral garb, too.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I finally got cracking on the final day, and I have to say I'm really surprised at the jump in difficulty in the normal encounters. Before I was feeling all full of myself because I was genociding even the meanest monsters without breaking a sweat, but now I can't even stagger these monsters. I think I've become over-reliant on Jump for that, so I guess I'll have to rethink things and go back to other conventional stagger methods.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Welp, I beat the final boss and got the rare weapon drop first try, only to realize I forgot to extinct the drat Chimeras like an idiot.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Systematic System posted:

Be sure to throw that up on the Outerworld service. You don't lose it or anything. Also a good idea to do it with Bladed Lances, and Gagnrads (since you can't get more than one normally), and ethers, turbo ethers, and elixirs.

I already reverted to an earlier save, otherwise I totally would've done that.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

When you're doing the optional part of the final dungeon, note where the Chimera spawns. That's the only room he'll ever show up in, so you'll need to exterminate him in there

Note that you apparently can only do this after completing the optional segments of the dungeon later on.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I don't recall Chimera Omega being a big deal. Just have your EP fully stocked and you can go crazy with Overclock, whether you need it to stagger or to do damage.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

chumbler posted:

It would have been neat if they had put in a way to decouple a garb's appearance from what it does. Some of the cooler looking ones have kinda crappy built in skills.

On the flip side of the coin, some of the more interesting unique abilities are on the most awful fanservice garbs, like that Siren Strike skill that does quick hits that inflict short-lasting ailments being on the only garb that's less clothed than the Amazon Warrior.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

When switching from Aerora to Thundara and from schema to schema, do your best to avoid triggering the spell finales so you can keep up the constant stream of casting. Instead of blocking, it helps to have an outfit that can nullify most or all of magical damage that you can just switch to to tank stuff while still casting. It also helps to have one of your outfits be Equilibrium+ as its special ability will help you keep up the onslaught.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Magic Slash with the double physical finale item (Locket Pendant I think?) is how I did it in my first runthrough. Just to check on some things:

- You're inflicting both Deprotect and Deshell, since Magic Slash accounts for both
- If you have space in your setups, you might also consider Imperil paired with an elemental potion
- You're popping items like Warrior's Potion or whatever else so you're going at him with Brave/Faith/Haste active
- It helps if one of your setups is completely immune to magic damage so you can switch to it real quick to tank spells while still doing minor amounts of damage or reinflicting statuses instead of guarding

Honestly, if you fulfill all those requirements, you shouldn't really need Overclocks to take him down, especially given you're in a second playthrough.

Oh yeah, one other thing: even though Magic Slash does both physical and magical damage, it apparently only factors your physical stat into account, so make sure you're pumping that up as much as possible in that garb setup.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Fedule posted:

On the opposite end of this scale, does anyone else think it's loving stupid that the rare passive "Committal" doesn't work on abilities that you have levelled up from 1 causing them to now cost less than 40 ATB? (eg, Heavy Slash costs 35 if you raise it all the way from Lv1). Don't see why they couldn't have just designated "heavy" abilities like Heavy Slash and Beat Down instead of doing it via ATB cost.

The simple answer here is that, since most of those abilities start at 40 ATB cost, just farm for level 5 abilities in Hard later on when going for your Committal copy.

There are actually new strategies for end-game stuff, that don't involve Magic Slash or Artemis' Arrows at all (except for specific things). It seems more like the two-element spells, and good ol' attack/light slash are the most powerful abilities in the game. I don't have a Aeronite video, but here's Ereshkigal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qGwqlSRPvM

Note that this is a completely maxed out setup that's also abusing a few interesting consequences of the battle engine to make poo poo hurt way more than it should (more about this here: http://etrosgate.com/lr/buffering-abilities). The description to that video also has a link to a video which is much more reasonable for a first playthrough while still being quick and impressive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=947DzrduHcw

Edit: Oh my god this maxed out video with the buffering exploit is pretty incredible, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hshVPtE8F24

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 5, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

That buffering technique has actually been present and useful in all three games, although its effects here are pretty dramatic thanks to the large amount of the same particular bonus effect one can stack into the same schema.

Also, I gotta say, it's quite cathartic to see Aeronite and Ereshkigal pretty much just melt away so fast like that, and it really makes me wish there was some sorta extra superboss DLC so we could see them destroyed, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Fun Aeronite glitch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO_x2MLeAUE

• Locked thread