Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Good OP, but you forgot to mention Chocolina (well, sort of).

Static Rook posted:

3. The fourth number for the stupid cult code in Luxerion can't be found until much later than the other 3. If you want it totally spoiled because it's dumb and Hope won't shut the gently caress up about finding it: It's in the Warrens, in the big middle area. The gates open at midnight. Thankfully, no other quests I've come across since have been as annoying as that one.

That was actually the first one I found since I farted around in that area all through the first night. The one on a random wall in the arcades took me basically the whole goddamn second day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Proto Cloud posted:

The demo's combat system was incredibly janky, the moves are spammable and the game way too easy. (definitely doesn't feel anywhere near as tight as Valkyrie Profile like you suggest from my experience at least)

Does it get any better after this or am I just gonna stick to playing Bravely Default some more?

The demo has you overleveled and much better equipped than the same portion in the actual game (which is to say, the first like 15 minutes of the actual game). The niblets that you two shot are actual fights, though still not particularly threatening.

I still haven't had that much time to get very far in the game yet, but the difficulty on normal mode is surprisingly high. Zomoks, gorgonopsids, and gaunts can and will kick your rear end until you learn their timings, and I imagine enemies stay pretty difficult until you get the broken setups. It's going to take me a bit to break the habits 13 and 13-2 gave me.

Murodese posted:

The character writing in this game is much, much better than both previous, as is the voice acting. The Lightning/Snow arc is particularly well-done.

I'm still not all that far in, but I agree with this. So far even the old characters seem to be written well, and Lightning herself even has some semblance of a personality, though it's not much beyond "Is pissy a lot" and contradicts her claims that she feels nothing. And I'm finding that I kind of like Lumina despite generally disliking that character type.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

McDragon posted:

Am I just poo poo at working out how to fight things or did I end up somewhere I wasn't supposed to? Ended up in the Warrens on the first day and the robots and robot bugs took ages to kill and took gently caress-all damage most of the time. Did manage to pick up a Thundara and Sparkstrike and they seem pretty good, but only really used them on regular crap enemies so I don't know how much better they are. Oh, ended up with Red Mage and a bunch of good things in the Ark too.

Also, please shut the gently caress up about the stupid loving numbers Hope. Then kill yourself you stupid annoying little prick. Should have let the God-Robot murder you. Does he ever just gently caress off and let you do stuff without going on and on about inane bullshit? Or can you turn his volume off at all?

Just spamming poo poo at them is largely a waste of effort and ATB gauge. I know this because I did the same poo poo. Those enemies (especially the bugs) are pretty harsh early on, but I think it's to teach you that you're relly supposed to be paying attention to stagger conditions. Unfortunately that does tend to lead to a lot of waiting around, but you can generate and maintain the stagger wave without really having to spam.

Just wait until you get to your first gaunt or zomok :unsmiggh:. I like this game's combat and how it doesn't pull its punches.

On a side note, I submitted a score for the demo but didn't get the special garb from it. Doesn't show up in the reward barter thing. It's not that big of a deal, just kind of annoying that I must have messed something up somewhere.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

For people looking for a decent early boost, here are a couple things you can do that will help:

-The dlc items are really good for the early game, so if you have those from preorders, 13/13-2 saves, or just shelling out cash, you can use those.
-Yusnaan has a really good blitz ability right out of the gate and sells the tuxedo, which is a solid physical damage garb (color it with Hitman colors)
-Dead dunes has an outfitter right at the start who sells a garb with deprotect and deshell built in (also appropriate shades to go with the above Hitman suit)
-The first town in the Wildlands sells 4 garbs with a good built in magic attack for their respective element, as well as some baller hats
-If you do a bit of the Wildlands you'll come across a chaos area that will have a behemoth in it. You'll want a decent defense for it and a good store of potions since he does a lot of damage even through guards and one of his attacks is hard to time a perfect guard on, but it's not too tough and nets you a ridiculously powerful weapon.

For reference, I have not yet fully finished a single one of the main quests, including the Shadow Hunter and am on the third day, so these things should be pretty easy to do even on day 1 or 2.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

How worth it is it to wait until day 7+ to clear any of the main quests? I'm putting off Noel, but I'm right outside the door to Snow on day 4 and debating whether to teleport out and come back later (seems like it'd be a bit of a chore if it's even possible) or just go ahead and do it. If not waiting until day 7+ means I'd miss out on getting his awesome ice axe or something, I'd kick myself. Haven't done much of anything on the other storylines yet yet.

Also the dress and matching sword make Lightning actually look vaguely like a human being and is nice looking on its own, to boot. And do you ever get another color palette?

Edit: Oh, and does anyone know how double element spells interact with resistances? For example does an immunity paired with a weakness give normal damage, increased damage, reduced damage, or no damage?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 16, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Murodese posted:

The T3 spells are not great for staggering, they're way too slow to cast and use too much ATB. You're better off being able to chain-spam 3 T2 spells than a T3. I only used T3 spells a handful of times throughout the game - they make sense in 13/13-2 because you can hit hard with magic during staggers, but it just doesn't compare to melee in staggers for 13-3.

Yeah I've found that the 4 garbs that have the + versions of the basic spells are generally pretty good since a full chain of the + spell is pretty fast, cheap, and hits hard at the end. It's a shame midnight mauve isn't that great, since it looks good.

I've only finished Snow's and Noel's stories so far, but Snow's was really good and the fight against Snow himself was great. Noel's was kind of half assed, just like Noel. Inoffensive, but bland. He was a jerk to fight with all his evading, though. Been mostly doing side quests in Luxerion and am now on day 6 with 4 left.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Just finished the Shadow Hunter fight.

Took me a couple tries, but I thought it was really fun. Fighting Noel seemed closer to a Devil May Cry boss fight than a typical JRPG fight. I also thought the pre-fight banter was pretty neat, if only for Noel and Lightning being stone-loving cold to each other and showing signs of mentally cracking. "You want to find Yeul? Find her in death." :stare:

I liked how Lightning was being :smug: as poo poo to him, too. Lightning is so much more interesting and fun as a character when she can actually emote and interact with people, even though she's supposed to be dead inside. I want to believe the voice directors just said "You know what, gently caress being accurate to the story, let's actually make it fun." Hope also has some good moments from time to time. Mostly when he's making fun of Lightning instead of being an annoying nag or creepy pervert.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm wearing the Business Suit you get from Yusnaan and I've heard a few comments about it.

"Hey is that a suit?"

"Is she an official?"

Also when wearing the Warrior of Etro suit from FF 13-2

"A Knight? I didn't think we still had any of those!"

The knight-ish one (can't remember its name) from the rare shop gets similar comments to the 13-2 armor, I think. The paladin garb makes people talk about you as a holy knight or member of the order, at least in Luxerion. I need to run around the towns one of these days wearing all the different outfits just to see what people say. They really came up with a ton of lines, and it's a little touch that I appreciate.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Hah, just got a good exchange during "The Saint's Stone."

Warehouse Worker: "I'd open these crates, but you would have to smash them open, haha!"

Lightning: "I can handle that."

Warehouse Worker: "Wait, you're joking, right?"

Lightning: "No, not really."

Snarky Lightning's pretty great.

Getting fireworks from the chocobo ladies in Yusnaan was pretty great too, with Lightning absolutely hating having to say the special phrase and rushing through it as fast as possible while Hope and the chocobo ladies make fun of her. Also her completely flat delivery of the line from the play when you just get the dress. I can't wait to get to the moogle portion if it's as great as everyone is saying.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 18, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This game is great. I was a little concerned about the time limit at first, but it is definitely manageable. I beat the Shadow Hunter, which was an incredibly exhilarating battle. So much strategy involved, and it required good timing of guards to instantly stagger him. Took me five tries, the final lasting eight minutes and giving me a whopping score of 1 point :lol: but I felt a sense of accomplishment and badassery that I haven't in a game in a long time.

I took care of most of the side quests in Luxerion, and am about to move on to Yusnaan, but I was wondering about the Born from Chaos quest. How early are people generally strong enough to beat it? Dude was taking like ~1500 off per hit when I fought him earlier and gently caress that noise.

If that's the one with the green dragon in the chaos area of Luxerion, I think you can technically beat it as soon as you get it, provided you're good enough with your perfect guards. You do want to have the right elements going in, though. It's weak to lightning damage. I'd recommend going to the first town in the Wildlands and picking up the electronica garb if you want to make it a little easier on yourself. Having the quiet guardian's heavy guard instead of regular guards would also help. Past that it's just a matter of attrition.

One thing I noticed about chaos area fights, though can't confirm since I only went that long once, is that if you take long enough they will eventually turn off regen on the monster out of pity.

Also I'd say pretty much everyone is going to suck on their first attempt against any boss or monster that isn't trivial, just due to not knowing attack/guard timings, weaknesses, or the best way to stagger them. I blew through full stacks of potions on my first reaver, zomok, and dreadnought fights, and now they're pretty much just speed bumps. Though that being said I still don't have a good answer for flame cyclone and diving strike besides just tanking them. Both are really hard to perfect guard.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 18, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

mikeraskol posted:

Drive Reavers to extinction and then pick up the sword from the ground in triumph.

Don't worry about the animals the world is ending soon anyways.

I don't remember anything being said about saving the animals for the new world, so I guess they don't have souls. Plus, given the ending, none of them make it to Earth anyway. I assume Lightning is just eradicating species for fun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Two words: cowboy hat. You'll thank me.

Sorry. Blue propeller.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

How exactly do the conditional moves work, for lack of a better term? Sometimes when an enemy is staggered Beat Down/Jump will become Launch, but there doesn't seem to be much consistency in when or why this happens.

I think that is dependent on the enemy as one of their specific stagger effects, not the attack. I know I've launched reavers with measly light slashes before.

That being said, some attacks do specifically say that they launch, so who knows.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 21, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Campbell posted:

Dear lord jumping right over from beating the 13-2 main story into 13-3 is a shock. I need to do more reading on how to actually do combat because everything seems way harder than it's probably meant to be. Opposed to frantically filling ATB meters and swapping back and forth from paradigms, I feel like I'm just button mashing and toggling schemes and hoping for the best (and not getting the best). Maybe I'm getting into fights that are too tough for me though. I've blown through Day 1 only doing a single prayer quest and a few steps of the main story and it feels like I'm blowing it. Guessing stuff with stabilize soon but maybe I have a restart coming my way, who knows.

Anyhow, here's a 360 Art of War DLC code:
jy3wh-px4pm-gq9w2-4jk64-qyfhz

Thoughtlessly button mashing and toggling schemes is what you don't really want to be doing. Each enemy has specific stagger conditions and weaknesses that you want to take advantage of, and each attack you have has different stagger power and stagger time. Generally you can treat non-elemental physical attacks and ruin like you would commandos in the previous game. They slow the decay of the stagger gauge and tend to do high damage when the target is staggered, but don't contribute much stagger themselves. Magic and the elemental strikes work like ravagers, boosting the stagger gauge but not doing much to keep it from falling quickly. Early on you just lack a good variety of commands and garbs, but you'll pick up more over time. It's a really good idea to hit the first town of every region since you'll get access to a lot of good garbs that way, and don't worry too much about canvas quests or side quests. Most canvas quests you'll complete more or less by accident while doing something else, and side quests you can just gradually do.

The main thing about the combat is just that you have to practice it. This game is a lot like 13 in that you can't really grind your way out of having to learn the system, but it's rewarding once you do.

Also I took your code. Thanks for that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Purple lightning is a great garb for just running around due to its enormous max ATB, but its unique spells do jack poo poo for damage. Likewise blue mage. Do they scale off of strength or magic?

vvvv Hmm. I am using them as my strength-based loadout, but the specials deal less than a single fira 3 on my magic set. Doesn't really matter, though. It's fun enough running around as Strider Lightning. If only light slash made the appropriate noise.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 23, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Anyone know if using the hybrid element spells like Icespark and Flamestorm are the same as/worse than just taking Fire/Blizzard/Etc? My main mage schema is the Witching Hour and i'm just rolling hybrid spells on two slots and imperil/ruinga on the other. I just tried Aeronite and boy was my imperil then nuke strategy not working at all.

Well, their combo chain is a little shorter so you get to the finisher faster, and you can set up a 4 element + imperil/deshell setup more easily, but I think the price you pay is net damage is a tad lower (don't recall the ratios off the top of my head). I generally just go for the element+ garb that is appropriate for the region I'm in since almost everything already has a weakness in the first place, somewhat reducing the value of imperil.

On a side note, anyone have any particularly interesting/odd setups they like? Debuffer quiet guardian/paladin with a magic schema and a physical schema (helter skelter because it's overpowered as hell, if rather unfortunately named) is certainly effective, but gets a bit boring.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ Fang in general is great. It's a shame she has such a limited role in the game though, like Sazh.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Haha, the Bahkti sidequest in the Dead Dunes got real dark real fast. I love it.

The side quests in general have really been what stands out in the story for me, though some of the main quests are good (Snow's). Many of them deal with some aspect of how people don't age but can still die, and how much their perception of time has been warped. They're a little inconsistent in many cases, like whether or not the children still develop emotionally, or in one case time stopping just didn't affect one person and how most make no mention of the impending end of the world (maybe only the Order people know about it?), but on the whole I think they're pretty well written for a FF game and clearly were not the work of Toriyama. There are a lot of really dark ones like the one you mention and the one that gives the dark knight garb. Armand's is a bit of a gut punch, too.

One thing that's worth doing when there's time is just reading through the various quest and completion notes in the log. None of it is particularly new or revelatory if you paid attention to the events in the side quest, but they flesh out Lightning a bit more. Also the canvas quests all have completion text and some of the are pretty good.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 24, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ More or less that, yeah. Magic scheme with the appropriate 1 or 2 elements and deshell or imperil, physical with a heavy hit, lighter hit, elemental hit, and either a defense (I put mediguard or counterblow on mine) or another attack, and a defensive with preta or ghost hood, deprotect, heavy guard, another debuff, and something that can maintain stagger since I'm not sure if debuff casts still do.

ImpAtom posted:

It's best to have dedicated schemata. You don't gain any benefit from mix and matching.

And yes, that accessory is insanely good. On certain Garbs it can literally make you immune to all physical damage.

I think that would be my main complaint about the battle system, which I overall really like. It doesn't really feel like they give enough reason to try to mix up schema or go for anything other than specializing, which leaves a lot of pretty useless garbs (like who is ever going to use white mage?). It's a hard balancing act to be sure, and I don't really know of a good way it could be fixed without really sitting down and thinking about it, but a start would be putting a higher cost on the ghost/preta hoods like cutting max ATB in that scheme down to the cost of a single skill, or you lose 10% of your current health at the start of every fight or something. And even then I'm not sure it would do it since it would still be something you could just toss on for bosses.

Also the 'Transform X' auto abilities should trigger every time the conditions are met instead of once, but the buff itself have a very short duration or something like that. And I have no idea why area sweep exists when there is already blitz. I guess its damage per ATB spent ends up better, but it's still just as slow.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 25, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Higher level Punt gives it hilarious DPS for a very low ATB cost. It's not the Best Attack Ever but it's very good for what it is and hilarious to use on anything it can knock into the air.

Well, that's kind of the issue with a lot of job systems. You kind of have to force yourself to use other things once you find a really good winning combo. That is why stuff like the Four Job Fiesta for FFV is fun because it basically forces you to figure out different ways to handle combat. LR obviously isn't as varied as FFV or Bravely Default but it still functions under basically the same logic of "here's a bunch of toys."'

The Hoods was certainly way too good for what they are though and really should have a more significant downside tied to them. The no-damage thing is theoretically a big deal but in reality it just gives you a schema to stick debuffs on.

Yeah it's hard to make a job system that is both balanced and interesting, and it's certainly not ruining my overall enjoyment of the game or anything. I just value interesting combinations and solutions to problems more than optimizing. I was using a hood for a while but eventually dropped it because it made the combat too boring.

Having 3 schema with worthwhile offense does help staggers go a bit quicker and has less downtime, but it's not a huge improvement and you have to be more on the ball with defense. I think one thing that would have helped a bit is making the 'Soul of the X' abilities tied to garbs apply to every schema. It would allow for interesting combinations like dark knight plus saboteur drain, and they could make the more individually powerful garbs not have souls to balance it out. Would take some redesigning of the system that obviously won't happen now, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 25, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

What's a good weapon that has Jump on it? Shadow Hunter is pretty mediocre by now, so I'm left in an awkward position where I either need to have two physical Schemata, or have one physical Schemata with crappy stats.

Ruffian in the Dead Dunes sells the dragoon spear which I think is around the same stats as shadow hunter, and an upgraded version for a chunk of change. You have to have met the boss and done a bit of the main quest first to open the store, I think.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Do elemental attacks like Sparkstrike draw from attack or magic? Not sure which garb I want to be putting them on.

The elemental strikes/blitzes are attack. The tabs in the menu are trustworthy for that information. It gets murky for the blue mage and ninja unique skills, but those are supposedly attacks as well.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Grimace posted:

That Twitch xbox video is painful, but those other garbs you showed are pretty great. Here's hoping SE will still develop a few more even though the game has been out in Japan for four months.

Both looks pretty cool, and the one that is basically Lightning Must Die mode is something that would be cool to see more of in the game. Huge boosts with huge drawbacks like the dark knight garb are cool. Also the game could use more absurd FF boss garbs. I appreciate simple, mostly functional designs like dust and shadow, but sometimes you need a ten foot long spike on one shoulder and a furred half cape on the other while half your face is turned into some void portal. Or just being covered in moogles.

But most importantly, they need to make a dlc tonberry garb. Almost 0 ATB recharge speed, 0 starting ATB, and a skill that one shots any normal monster.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 25, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Systematic System posted:

I really hope we get some brutally difficult DLC bosses. I've really enjoyed the battle system so far, but nothing has taken me more than two or three tries to figure out.

So far the only real problem I've run into is not being able to do enough damage to the last ones of the big monsters before they just win by attrition, but that is no doubt due to the dumb schema I'm running. Unfortunately I don't think boss dlc or any dlc past what we just got seems all that likely. It's a shame, because the core combat system is really good and wouldn't even need much more polishing at all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

"I'm only in this for the steak." :colbert:

Actually, the only times I've heard Lightning sound somewhat happy/proud was when she's talking about eating/grilling Behemoth steak, which granted, is probably justified.

Lightning loving loves steak and talking about steak. Given how much she talks about cooking over campfires, I want to believe that when it was her night to cook before the events of 13 she just went in the backyard and made a fire instead of using the stove.

As for how the games rate relative to each other, I think LR is the best, followed by 13, with 13-2 pretty far in the rear. Linearity and batshit stories are not problems for me, so I don't really have a problem with 13. 13-2 just added a bunch of things I hated (Serah, pointless towns, a tedious and grindy pet raising system) or was a step back in a lot of ways, particularly the lack of difficulty. There were certainly parts of it that I liked, but they weren't enough to overcome the bad. LR just has a great battle system and difficulty curve, its non-linearity is done well, the music and visuals are good, it does some neat things in the story and side quests, and Lightning herself is actually a pretty enjoyable character, even if her characterization is pretty inconsistent.

All that being said, I can't really disagree with most criticisms like the overarching story being insane and early game combat being kind of rough, but those just don't bother me that much.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 27, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

For those who have gone to a second play through, since side quests apparently get reset is there any indication of which ones you've already completed? I farted around too much and am almost out of days and so won't be able to finish all the side quests, and I don't want to waste too much time again on a second play through.

Also everything about the moogle village was great. Moogle chucking, Lightning being Lightning to Mog, and the best adornment in the game (giant anime Lightning mask).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Just swap to normal if you want some challenge. You shouldn't have any particular issues with time unless you manage it extremely poorly or are simply bad at the game and die a lot. Outside of the goddamned earth eaters there's only one non-final boss that really proved to be a big problem, and even then he only took 3 attempts (and the earlier losses were directly because I screwed up and got too greedy). The dlc and outerworld reward garbs are also really good and can carry you for quite a while.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 10, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It would have been neat if they had put in a way to decouple a garb's appearance from what it does. Some of the cooler looking ones have kinda crappy built in skills. Cyber jumpsuit is neat, but dispel is just not terribly useful. Likewise primavera, vigilance, and Siegfried. I used bold vanguard, intruder, and dust and shadow a lot, personally. Bold vanguard in particular was really customizable color-wise.

The two super-FF dlc ones are also pretty cool for being so incredibly FF armor.

vvvv Yeah. I am ashamed to admit that I used amazon warrior for a while because speed strike and the passives were better than my alternatives. Fortunately innocence was decent and I eventually got higher level attack skills.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 22, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In case anyone needed further proof that Japan lacks good taste, these were apparently rejected garb designs:

We missed out on penguin Lightning, Garland/Mordekaiser Lightning knocking people down, a proper moogle suit Lightning, sentai Lightning, and Asura Lightning. If only there was hope in dlc.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 6, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The only things you really miss in 13-2 are Liam O'Brien hamming it up incredibly hard and Snow Villiers, time cop.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Artix posted:

So since the game is on sale and I still have a little money in my wallet to burn, are any of the DLC costumes worth getting? I already have Cloud and FFX Yuna since they came with the game for me.

Most of the dlc garbs and weapons/shields fall behind once you're out of the early game. FFX Yuna and the 13-1 and 13-2 costumes stay decent though, and the ultimate power or whatever they're called dlc garbs (they're the ones that look incredibly FF) are fun without being too broken. The yellow one also gives you a weapon and shield that pretty much let you turn on Lightning Must Die mode if you use them. But really just buy them if you think they look cool.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

People should be positive toward this game because it is A Fun Game that generally succeeds at a lot of neat things it tries, makes Lightning an actually pretty fun character, and lets you be a pretty princess with a pumpkin for a head. People who don't like it are usually big babies about time limits or take FF too seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

If they can mod it so Sazh, Snow and Caius all are wearing it, I'll consider it worthwhile.

Why would you do that to Sazh? Hasn't that poor man suffered enough?

• Locked thread