Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:siren: Since all episodes will be released simultaneously, no spoiler tags are necessary in here. Read at your own risk!

House of Cards is a Netflix Original based on the BBC series and novel of the same name.

Kevin Spacey stars as Frank Underwood, the Democratic Majority Whip of the United States Congress. As Season 1 began, he was told that the President, whom he had helped elect, would not be appointing him Secretary of State as they had agreed. This sets Underwood on a course to seize power by any means necessary, with the help of his wife Claire and an ambitious young reporter named Zoe.

Throughout the course of the season, we saw just how far Frank was willing to go in his pursuit - up to and including literal murder. His personality is not that of a clear-cut villain, however. We also see him express genuine feelings of concern, friendship and love - particularly towards his wife, who is complicit in his actions but also struggles to earn her own identity.

By season's end, Frank had earned the offer of the office of Vice President - which he naturally accepted.

Starring:

Robin Wright as Claire Underwood. The head of a powerful nonprofit organization. As Season 1 ended, despite her rebellious nature to prove she is her own person, she was still firmly on Frank's side - or, more precisely, allied with Frank against the rest of the world.

Kate Mara as Zoe Barnes. By turns played by and playing against Frank, she is ambitious and vicious, particularly after she is fired from big-time fictional paper The Washington Herald and resorts to working an online gig. Her and Frank have a complex relationship, physically and emotionally intimate. She is seen to be piecing together Frank's plans.

And of course, Kevin Spacey as Frank.

Season 2 will be available at midnight, February 14th, all at once, on Netflix.

precision fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Finally. I cannot wait for this.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Welp doesn't look like much work is getting done tomorrow.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Is anyone here actually intending to stay up all night to watch it all? I'm considering it but we're out of coffee and we're stuck inside in a snow storm.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Being stuck in the snow is exactly why I'm going to watch as much of it as possible tonight.

On that note, gently caress snow I wanna be back in California. :mad:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hey, lucking out by living in Europe, no need to stay up and I can marathon the whole thing during the day. Awesome. I seriously can't wait for this, S1 was already some of my favorite TV (streaming whatever) of all time and I've watched the S2 trailers more times than I'm willing to admit.

Have they released a list of directors for S2 yet?

E: Also you might want to put it in the OP or title or whatever that people probably shouldn't hang around in this thread until they've watched all episodes. I think there was a similar thing last year too.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 14, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I wish I could marathon it but just like last year it's coming out at a time when I'm really busy. Ah well, see y'all next week.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There's also going to be a 3rd season supposedly. I'm curious how much Netflix is paying Spacey and some of these Hollywood-quality actors for this.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

E: Also you might want to put it in the OP or title or whatever that people probably shouldn't hang around in this thread until they've watched all episodes. I think there was a similar thing last year too.

Might want to throw up a spoiler thread for all the people that marathon this. This way there is no crossing of the streams.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
This IS the spoiler thread, that came straight from the mods.

Regy Rusty posted:

I wish I could marathon it but just like last year it's coming out at a time when I'm really busy. Ah well, see y'all next week.

I had to chance to marathon season 1, but no such luck this time. :smith:

I still think releasing a show all at once is a silly way to do it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man I loved the first season of this, but I do wish that they didn't release everything at once, I'll definitely be pacing out my watch of the episodes. Episodes need space to breathe, I don't think an episode like the one where Frank returns to his college and hangs out with his buddies would have felt as strong if I'd watched the entire thing in one go, and storylines like Claire's attempt to leave Frank and find a new life lack impact when they're not spaced out over the period of a few weeks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

JohnSherman posted:

Seconding

I had to chance to marathon season 1, but no such luck this time. :smith:

I still think releasing a show all at once is a silly way to do it.
Netflix did some customer surveys on that issue and they found that the majority of people preferred the option of being able to marathon the whole thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean, it's not Netflix's problem if you have no self control. :)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Title suggestions?

House of Cards 2: Electoral Boogaloo

Inspired, I know.

giogadi posted:

Is anyone here actually intending to stay up all night to watch it all? I'm considering it but we're out of coffee and we're stuck inside in a snow storm.

That's (sort of) the plan! I saw it reported as going live at 12:01AM PST / 3:01AM EST. Seems like a good opportunity for a brief pre-game nap!

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 14, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Based on the trailers there's quite a few major additions to the cast for this season, but Netflix haven't put up a listing of actors and bios the way they did last year, so I haven't been able to dig up the full slate. My most anticipated new appearance is Jimmi "Liam McPoyle" Simpson. I have no idea who his character is or what he'll be up to, but I can't imagine him not being fun.

Last season I really liked Michael Gill's President Walker, and I have to assume his role will be much beefier this season. I find him rather sympathetic, since he's clearly a pragmatic and competent guy, and he's even shrewd enough to pull that cutesy little switcheroo on Frank near the end of S1, but he's still wayyyy out of his depth. He's inevitably going to get wise to the fact that he's being played by Frank and Tusk, and I look forward to seeing how Gill plays that. If the show keeps patterning itself roughly off the BBC version, I imagine he'll be directly analogous to the king on that show.

Rubbergoose
Jul 13, 2006

Hell yeah, I almost forgot about this.

precision posted:

Yeah I mean, it's not Netflix's problem if you have no self control. :)

A lot of the complaints about Netflix releasing whole seasons at once came from people who missed being apart of a community that got to experience pivotal moments in the show at the same time. To which I say "gently caress you, find something else to talk about around the water cooler."

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
How does that midnight release time work? Is it based on a specific time-zone?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's midnight PST, I'm fairly sure. 1AM mountain, 2AM central, 3AM EST.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's midnight PST, I'm fairly sure. 1AM mountain, 2AM central, 3AM EST.

drat, not staying up until 3 for this. Guess I'll get to it some other night.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Any word on who's directing the episodes now?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Jerusalem posted:

Man I loved the first season of this, but I do wish that they didn't release everything at once, I'll definitely be pacing out my watch of the episodes.

Agreed and I hate constantly being asked what episode I'm on.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Any word on who's directing the episodes now?

The first two episodes will definitely be directed by Carl Franklin, who did 10 and 11 of season 1, so that should get things off to a good start. IMDb also says about half of the episodes will be directed by James Foley, but some of them are marked as "unconfirmed". No word on the rest as far as I know.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So no chance of David Fincher coming back?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

iSheep posted:

I think it's been said he's not back for this season -- though I hope the opposite, obviously.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

iSheep posted:

Looks like he will be busy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gonna binge this poo poo. ETA 1 hour folks! Depending on how I feel afterward, I may or may not go to work.

Verisimillipede
Jul 17, 2006

Been looking forward to this, pretty much anything Kevin Spacey touches is gold in my book. Frank Underwood is such a great anti-hero and reminds me of his character in The Usual Suspects, Keyser Söze.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
season 2 is go

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Nice of them to include an autoplay recap of season 1.

I know what I'm doing for the next few hours.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Zoe has a good entrance. And exit. (godwhatashittyjoke)

edit: Her butt. The exit is her butt.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 14, 2014

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

What the gently caress :stare:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Claire's line "I'm willing to let your child wither and die inside you if that's what's required" just made me drop what I was holding. The show's not easing back into things gently or pulling any punches.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

david puddy posted:

What the gently caress :stare:

I was surprised. Were you surprised?

I was surprised.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Accretionist posted:

I was surprised.

Just a tiny bit

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Holy poo poo Frank. I thought it might happen, given the location, but to actually follow through :stare:

edit: lol Constance Zimmer packing

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Uh, wow.

That was loving crazy. poo poo just got real.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Welp, there it is!

I figured it had to happen based on having seen the British version, and from the trailers I had a hunch this was the scene and the location. But happening in the first episode? That surprised me.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sweet loving jesus House of Cards, I needed to sleep tonight :psyduck:

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Season 2, upping the stakes and giving no fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Accretionist posted:

I was surprised.

I was loving surprised. On to Episode 2!

• Locked thread