Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I am really shocked people are surprised at the "Claire has a history of rape" subplot. These two obviously have a complicated marriage, which is quite plainly not sexually intimate. It has taken paints not to explain it - not even Frank's revelation of his homosexual dalliances explained it. This goes to great lengths towards explaining it even more.

And it's being very well handled, actually. Claire's monologue in bed was chilling, especially when she started referring to herself-as-victim in the third person. I do that. I think *everyone* who has been raped or abused does that. But being a sociopath, Claire takes it in her own direction. Goddamn, this show is dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kaworu posted:

I am really shocked people are surprised at the "Claire has a history of rape" subplot. These two obviously have a complicated marriage, which is quite plainly not sexually intimate. It has taken paints not to explain it - not even Frank's revelation of his homosexual dalliances explained it. This goes to great lengths towards explaining it even more.

And it's being very well handled, actually. Claire's monologue in bed was chilling, especially when she started referring to herself-as-victim in the third person. I do that. I think *everyone* who has been raped or abused does that. But being a sociopath, Claire takes it in her own direction. Goddamn, this show is dark.

Just finished that ep, and yeah, that monologue was pretty spot on. It was also an interesting way of showing how she handled the anger that she felt, and still feels, at herself for being a victim.

I think it's also interesting to contrast it with the congressman running for majority whip, who was upset about an election decades earlier and is still not able to "get over it," allowing his vindictiveness to lead him to destroy another person's family. Claire's anger and loss of justice is infinitely worse, but she has the strength to, rightly or wrongly, "strangle" her outrage to maintain chillingly pragmatic self-control. Of course, she sublimates it and expresses it in other ways, but it's still a demonstration of how incredibly tough she is.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Holy poo poo. I'm not reading anything else but I just had to take a break at work because of how intense that hit me. Almost as hard as it hit her. :hurr:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

"Welcome back" :stare:

Jesus loving Christ I am not doing ANYTHING ELSE today.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Episode 9 is directed by Jodie Foster :monocle:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I shall watch this soon and join you all in the house of White. :haw:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Accretionist posted:

Title suggestions?

"Did you think I'd forgotten you?"

I'd love to know how many people came into that going "yeah, I'll just watch the first one, see how it plays out" and were all ready to come back later for episode 2, continue meh-ing about it all; and then they let the autoplay just roll right on.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Sharkie posted:

Just finished that ep, and yeah, that monologue was pretty spot on. It was also an interesting way of showing how she handled the anger that she felt, and still feels, at herself for being a victim.

I think it's also interesting to contrast it with the congressman running for majority whip, who was upset about an election decades earlier and is still not able to "get over it," allowing his vindictiveness to lead him to destroy another person's family. Claire's anger and loss of justice is infinitely worse, but she has the strength to, rightly or wrongly, "strangle" her outrage to maintain chillingly pragmatic self-control. Of course, she sublimates it and expresses it in other ways, but it's still a demonstration of how incredibly tough she is.

Yeah, I just wanted to say I really agree with this post and you basically elaborated really well on what I was trying to say and drew broader connection in the episode so, cool :)

I will add that the line between the people who allow themselves to be victims and the people who do the victimizing is growing, if anything, thicker and bloodier than it already was in season 1. And where does one draw the line?

Also, I still LOVE Stamper (the actor who plays him got my vote for "most underrated actor" from season 1) so I really want to see more material for him. I actually think him and Rachel getting ready to eat Indian take-out in a bare room with only a frameless futon and a single lamp. I find his relationship with Rachel fascinating because, like certain other relationships in the show, it's the absence of any obvious sexual motivation that gives it intrigue.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

20ozMonkey posted:

The beginning of episode 5 at four in the morning. :psyduck:

Just as weird at 2am.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
God dammit I gotta resist the urge to marathon this.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, ep. 4. I know this is a no spoiler tag thread, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone, so I'll just say that I found it more shocking than ep. 1. That she does that during the interview, but perhaps only doing it for political reasons, is a great piece of characterization.

That must have felt good though.

kaworu posted:

I actually think him and Rachel getting ready to eat Indian take-out in a bare room with only a frameless futon and a single lamp. I find his relationship with Rachel fascinating because, like certain other relationships in the show, it's the absence of any obvious sexual motivation that gives it intrigue.

I think it's really interesting, but I can't help but find it ominous. I honestly thought that food might end up being poisoned. That doesn't really make sense, but I just don't see things ending well for her.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
:stonk:

Frank, you ruthless mother fucker. :argh:

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Sharkie posted:

Holy poo poo, ep. 4.

I just finished EP4. Holy poo poo is about right.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I'm almost done with episode one and holy titties man! :stare:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It is 4am, I've seen six episodes today. I didn't mean to watch this many.

Power struggles... quite literally.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Has anyone seen a Zoe.gif yet? Its the only way I can adequately explain how thoroughly this show has blown the brains out of the back of my skull.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Its like GoT but they offset it so we wouldn't see it coming.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seven eps in and this is about as good as last season, except I don't understand what's going on with Tusk and the Chinese as much as I understood the whole Russo situation last year. Still very pretty and well-acted and whatnot.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Surgery yesterday, nothing but marathoning through season two today while I'm stuck on the couch. I'm up to episode eight now and I'm trying to spot what Frank's long game (if any) is this season. Destabilizing the President and Tusk's relationship seems too straightforward.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pancakes posted:

Surgery yesterday, nothing but marathoning through season two today while I'm stuck on the couch. I'm up to episode eight now and I'm trying to spot what Frank's long game (if any) is this season. Destabilizing the President and Tusk's relationship seems too straightforward.

Six episodes in and it's pretty obvious of what he's doing. He's been dismantling the President every step of the way. He hasn't straight up said it to the audience as he did in S1 but to me the goal is the ruin the President on both a political AND personal level.

The idea that Claire is actually playing along this on the personal side of things is amazing. She loving terrifies me.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Six episodes in and it's pretty obvious of what he's doing. He's been dismantling the President every step of the way. He hasn't straight up said it to the audience as he did in S1 but to me the goal is the ruin the President on both a political AND personal level.

The idea that Claire is actually playing along this on the personal side of things is amazing. She loving terrifies me.

I meant specifically for this season. Similar to getting the VP to step down in season one. I feel like completely taking down the President within months of becoming VP is fast, even for this show.

I think it's clear he's isolating the President from multiple angles, I'm just wondering if we'll get a master stroke moment this time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just watched the first ep. That was great! Love this show.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Pancakes posted:

I meant specifically for this season. Similar to getting the VP to step down in season one. I feel like completely taking down the President within months of becoming VP is fast, even for this show.

I think it's clear he's isolating the President from multiple angles, I'm just wondering if we'll get a master stroke moment this time.

The master stroke came right about the end of episode one when a certain reporter exploded like a water balloon.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The casting choice for the hacker was PERFECT!

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Just finished the season, really great stuff. I don't think there was one performance I found lacking.

eta- Special mention of Reg E. Cathey who got to show what he can really do with Freddy this time.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 14, 2014

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Color grading is all wonky this season.

Skin tones look orange/yellow in a lot of scenes. And its inconsistent too.

GomJabbar
Jul 25, 2013

by The Finn
Good to see Zoe's career is really on track

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

GomJabbar posted:

I hope her current situation doesn't go too off the rails

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

aBagorn posted:

She dragged herself into that mess.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

aBagorn posted:

She's just waiting for inspiration to hit her.

GomJabbar
Jul 25, 2013

by The Finn

Propaganda Machine posted:

She's just waiting for inspiration to hit her.

The on the job training really came through

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Let's stop, people. This is derailing the whole thread.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

We've got to train ourselves to avoid these situations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What is up with Kevin Spacey's throwing motion?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The end of episode 1 was legitimately more shocking and terrifying than Game of Thrones' big shocking event last year. It being only the FIRST EPISODE, Kate Mara being listed in the opening credits as a starring cast member, the seeming importance of her figuring it all out... and then BAM. :tviv:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

precision posted:

The end of episode 1 was legitimately more shocking and terrifying than Game of Thrones' big shocking event last year. It being only the FIRST EPISODE, Kate Mara being listed in the opening credits as a starring cast member, the seeming importance of her figuring it all out... and then BAM. :tviv:
It's less surprising if you ever saw the UK version of House of Cards. The fact he didn't do it at the end of last season actually made me sad because i thought it actually was a change weakening the overall narrative but now, i think it was a really good idea to keep it for episode 1 of season 2.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Episode 4, :tviv:

I thought Season 1 was really good, albeit maybe a touch overrated, but the second season is blowing me away.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

GomJabbar posted:

All she needed was a push in the right direction

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aaaand just finished the season. Incredible ride all around and man that final shot was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Poor Stamper :(

• Locked thread