Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Mikkelsen brothers taking american TV by storm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Brock Samson posted:

Mikkelsen brothers taking american TV by storm!

I remember seeing Lars in the latest season of Sherlock as Not Rupert Murdock. He was fine in that and I think he will be fine in House of Cards.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh gently caress yes :hellyeah:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I'm a few episodes into season two and I haven't read the thread because spoilers. At the point I'm at the plot revolves around campaign contributions and I'm having a hard time caring. Without going into plot details, does it get better? Is this show worth my time?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

nelson posted:

I'm a few episodes into season two and I haven't read the thread because spoilers. At the point I'm at the plot revolves around campaign contributions and I'm having a hard time caring. Without going into plot details, does it get better? Is this show worth my time?

Yes, it gets much, much, much better. There are a couple dud subplots but things really pick up as it goes on and the ending is pretty amazing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

nelson posted:

I would say yes, but also if you're at the point where you don't care so much about a show that you have to ask other people if you should even continue, then it's probably not for you and you should just stop watching if you don't care. For what it's worth I never felt this way during the second season.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
The senate scene was pretty awesome early on - pretty much the wet dream of anyone that posts regularly in D&D.

True story, the senate actually has that sort of power and it happened in the late 80s.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Solkanar512 posted:

The senate scene was pretty awesome early on - pretty much the wet dream of anyone that posts regularly in D&D.

True story, the senate actually has that sort of power and it happened in the late 80s.

The one where they physically dragged in Senators to get a quorum? I thought that was awesome too. :D

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Did they ever explain why Hammerschmidt didn't go public with what he learned? The show set him up as a man with nothing to lose, and he basically chooses to do nothing and admit defeat. Does House of Cards not take place in a world where conspiracy mongers will pore over every scrap of evidence for even the most implausible theory? Because if Hammerschmidt just threw everything he had on Frank up on the internet anonymously, the right-wing blogosphere would poo poo itself climbing over each other to prove it right.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

nelson posted:

I wouldn't bother. Season 2 just gets more and more ridiculous subplot events. In season 1 that was still kind of ok, because it was largely Spacey doing Underwood perfectly, but more screen time in the second season is devoted to other characters. The first half of HoC season 1 was one of my favorite seasons of tv ever, I was extremely disappointed by season 2.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

DStecks posted:

Did they ever explain why Hammerschmidt didn't go public with what he learned? The show set him up as a man with nothing to lose, and he basically chooses to do nothing and admit defeat. Does House of Cards not take place in a world where conspiracy mongers will pore over every scrap of evidence for even the most implausible theory? Because if Hammerschmidt just threw everything he had on Frank up on the internet anonymously, the right-wing blogosphere would poo poo itself climbing over each other to prove it right.

Hammerschmidt took Janine at face value when she denied everything. That settled things for him; he doesn't believe it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PassTheRemote posted:

I remember seeing Lars in the latest season of Sherlock as Not Rupert Murdock. He was fine in that and I think he will be fine in House of Cards.

Oh that's him? He'll be great in House of Cards.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I wouldn't bother. Season 2 just gets more and more ridiculous subplot events. In season 1 that was still kind of ok, because it was largely Spacey doing Underwood perfectly, but more screen time in the second season is devoted to other characters. The first half of HoC season 1 was one of my favorite seasons of tv ever, I was extremely disappointed by season 2.

Season 2 does have this "ramping up" syndrome that I've seen elsewhere (like Season 2 of Arrow) but I think the fact that it's a contained story (only 3 seasons) will make it retroactively better.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Saw a report that season 3 got released early, can anyone confirm?

Source: http://uk.businessinsider.com/house-of-cards-season-3-early-netflix-release-2015-2?r=US

EDIT: Andddddd it's gone.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/11/8021935/house-of-cards-season-three-is-on-netflix-right-now

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 11, 2015

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah, it got Beyonce'd apparently. It's gone now, though.

Just as well; I got stuff to do and intend to binge on Saturday the 28th.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dang. :\

I'll put together a new thread for S3 soon.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is it ever revealed who sent the inept bomber to Frank's house?

I can't for the life of me remember.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is it ever revealed who sent the inept bomber to Frank's house?

I can't for the life of me remember.

Frank himself did, I think.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

No, that was the brick in S1. The bomber was an anti-abortion activist IIRC.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That's right. I still don't remember much about the S2 guy, but yeah i must be thinking about the brick.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

computer parts posted:

Season 2 does have this "ramping up" syndrome that I've seen elsewhere (like Season 2 of Arrow) but I think the fact that it's a contained story (only 3 seasons) will make it retroactively better.

Just curious, where did you see it will only be 3 seasons? I tried looking and couldn't find any confirmation either way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hobo Clown posted:

Just curious, where did you see it will only be 3 seasons? I tried looking and couldn't find any confirmation either way.

Honestly I don't see this show going further than this upcoming season. I mean, what else can Frank possibly want? President of the World?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly I don't see this show going further than this upcoming season. I mean, what else can Frank possibly want? President of the World?

I don't know where they'd go either, just curious if that was ever made official.

But yes, I'd be interested in watching Frank murder and lie his way to achieving world peace and becoming the first Earth President.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

In the British version, Uruqhart became Prime Minister in 4 episodes and there was still room for more storylines after that happened. Really, it's just a question of how much time the showrunners want to play around with President Underwood before going for the big finish.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The main villain for Season 4 will be the King of Mars, portrayed by Benedict Cumberbatch.

You heard it here first!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I could see that.

Start a war to retain being president under emergency powers, while playing alliances against each other to eventually end up with a USA that's top dog instead of on the slide. It'd fit him. He already played chicken with China as a pawn. He's obsessed with legacy, too. No way he'd want to be remembered at the president that "did alright."

I'd see it more a series of cold wars than straight up war against 1st world nations, or proxy wars, if they went that way though.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I liked season 2 just as much as 1, by contrast.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 12, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I would not mind if this took on more global political plots

Why would Underwood settle for just America anyway

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The show can work without Underwood ascending to higher and higher offices. The British show's second season was about a feud between Uruqhart and the king, yet strangely enough Uruqhart was not crowned the new King of England at the end of it.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Solkanar512 posted:

Sorry for the necro, but what does this refer to?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Paper With Lines posted:

Sorry for the necro, but what does this refer to?

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-02-24/news/mn-11822_1_senate-chamber

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

That is awesome. The best part is that Packwood complained about lost honor. Bob Packwood was a serial sexual harasser who was expelled from the Senate for dishonorable conduct.

lol

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Supercar Gautier posted:

The show can work without Underwood ascending to higher and higher offices. The British show's second season was about a feud between Uruqhart and the king, yet strangely enough Uruqhart was not crowned the new King of England at the end of it.

I think this season can be for Frank scheming and establishing himself as President, but you see cracks starting to form, especially with his right hand man dead in the woods. I think near the end of the season you'll see something happen where he'll have to scramble in season 4 to keep covering up the death of the congress guy or the death of the journalist lady. Forgive me, I'm horrible with names.

I think next season is when it all completely goes to poo poo for him and ultimately his legacy will make Nixon look like Lincoln. I think the series ends with him getting arrested, impeached, committing suicide, or any combination of those 3.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 12, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I only just discovered this series, is the s1 thread still on the forums (not in archive)? I'd like to read along

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

double nine posted:

I only just discovered this series, is the s1 thread still on the forums (not in archive)? I'd like to read along

I'm pretty sure it's been archived. From memory, the season 1 thread got locked not long before the S2 release, so it would've been at least a year ago.

I wouldn't worry about it though, since there's no fixed broadcast schedule everyone posts at various points during the series rather than chronologically. You'll almost definitely read someone reacting to something you haven't seen yet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, the big issue I have with the RELEASE THEM ALL AT ONCE! policy is that it basically makes it impossible to read the thread to discuss a particular episode/scene without a serious risk of being spoiled on future events.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, the big issue I have with the RELEASE THEM ALL AT ONCE! policy is that it basically makes it impossible to read the thread to discuss a particular episode/scene without a serious risk of being spoiled on future events.

That's intentional.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is actually season 4.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

JESUS CHRIST that is NOT the way to deal with a drunk depressed self-destructive person!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

double nine posted:

You won't be able to "read along" unless you like spoilers.

E: this is what I get for not refreshing before posting :(

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

double nine posted:

JESUS CHRIST that is NOT the way to deal with a drunk depressed self-destructive person!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Jerusalem posted:

This season's thread was extra fun, given how episode one pans out :v:

• Locked thread