Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
When is Too Human going to be backwards compatible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barraiya
Jun 3, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

When is Too Human going to be backwards compatible?

Probably never.
Silicon Knights got slapped down by Epic in court a few years back and can no longer sell or distribute anything they made using the Unreal engine.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/too-human-pulled-from-xbox-marketplace/1100-6402644/

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Well what about Bomberman Act Zero or Over G Fighters?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Business Insider acting like people care about backwards compatibility

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

morallyobjected posted:

Business Insider acting like people care about backwards compatibility

It does matter. At console launch. Lmao 2 years later after millions of people sell their games

At least nobody will gently caress it up next time

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I like BC. For whatever reason going back to last-gen games is easier this time around (maybe it's because this gen's "last gen" universally supports widescreen), and the Secret Sauce emulator makes all the tearing go away. So many god drat games came out for the 360, too, it's a good excuse to go back and play stuff I missed when it gets announced for BC and my local game store has loose discs for $2.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yep

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i never have enough time to play all the current games i want to nevermind going back for the ones i left behind

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome! posted:

i never have enough time to play all the current games i want to nevermind going back for the ones i left behind

Big yep

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I like BC. For whatever reason going back to last-gen games is easier this time around (maybe it's because this gen's "last gen" universally supports widescreen), and the Secret Sauce emulator makes all the tearing go away. So many god drat games came out for the 360, too, it's a good excuse to go back and play stuff I missed when it gets announced for BC and my local game store has loose discs for $2.

I think BC is even more important for this generation... HD makes such a huge difference in games. I had no interest in going back and playing SD Xbox games on my Xbox 360. They didn't hold up at all. Xbox 360 HD games still look good on the Xbone though.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The Grey posted:

I think BC is even more important for this generation... HD makes such a huge difference in games. I had no interest in going back and playing SD Xbox games on my Xbox 360. They didn't hold up at all. Xbox 360 HD games still look good on the Xbone though.

Didn't the 360's BC Emulator upscale OG Xbox games to 720p by bumping up the framebuffer size?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Has anyone else been having connection issues, particularly in the UK? I keep getting randomly kicked out of multiplayer games and getting a message in GTA that I'm signed out of XBL but the store seems fine and my iPad hasn't had any issues.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Well see thread title.

Really though, bc is only helping the xbox so much because the ps4 doesn't have it. It stands out because it's actually done remarkably well.

Still doesn't change the fact that nearly every current gen game runs better on ps4.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

Didn't the 360's BC Emulator upscale OG Xbox games to 720p by bumping up the framebuffer size?

It's got an upscaler but it's still upscaling from 480p and there's not much of a positive effect on the image.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

Well see thread title.

Really though, bc is only helping the xbox so much because the ps4 doesn't have it. It stands out because it's actually done remarkably well.

Still doesn't change the fact that nearly every current gen game runs better on ps4.

Helping in the sense of people have a nice thing to say finally on their podcast or in sales and interest among the general public?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not helping at all. Nobody buys an Xbox One for XBox 360 games.

It's a slight boost in sales of older games that wouldn't be moving units anymore, but only the digital ones bring any money to Microsoft.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheScott2K posted:

It's got an upscaler but it's still upscaling from 480p and there's not much of a positive effect on the image.

A decent chunk of games on the original Xbox were 720p native or 1080i native on the original Xbox with component cables hooked up to an HDTV. Those'll run in 720p or 1080i on the Xbox 360 if they're otherwise supported by the backwards compatibility.

Many people never had anything better than a CRT that could do 480i or 480p with their original Xbox, so when they stuck those games into their new 360 and fancy HDTV, they'd think the 360 was doing something special for 720p or 1080i output.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

fishmech posted:

A decent chunk of games on the original Xbox were 720p native or 1080i native on the original Xbox with component cables hooked up to an HDTV. Those'll run in 720p or 1080i on the Xbox 360 if they're otherwise supported by the backwards compatibility.

Many people never had anything better than a CRT that could do 480i or 480p with their original Xbox, so when they stuck those games into their new 360 and fancy HDTV, they'd think the 360 was doing something special for 720p or 1080i output.

There was an update on bungie.net around the time that the 360 launched that claimed that the 360 would bump up the rendering resolution when running in backwards compatibility mode on a 360.

Maybe it was just a Halo-specific thing though.

edit: Found it

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

fishmech posted:

The "decent chunk" was a very small number of games - most notably done FIFA titles and Freedom Fighters. I think Enter The Matrix was the only one to make it to 1080i.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 11, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheScott2K posted:

The "decent chunk" was a very small number of games - FIFA Street (2?), Freedom Fighters (!), and Crash Team Racing were the most notable.

7 720p and 1080i supporting games. 41 more 720p games.

It includes stuff like most of the Tony Hawk games on the system, a decent chunk of the later sports games, the best version of Soul Calibur II, The Warriors, and that Dragon's Lair game that was actually pretty good.

In comparison the PS2 has 7 1080i titles and no just 720p games. And the GameCube of course does nothing higher than 480p.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 11, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

That's still a very loving small number of games, fishmech. Also I'm betting two of those 1080i PS2 games are GT4 and Tourist Trophy, neither of which actually render gameplay above 480p.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheScott2K posted:

That's still a very loving small number of games, fishmech. Also I'm betting two of those 1080i PS2 games are GT4 and Tourist Trophy, neither of which actually render gameplay above 480p.

Almost all of them are on the 360 backwards compatibility list, which is a much smaller list of games than the full 1000 or so Xbox library. A lot of people would have tried them on their new 360, saw that it suddenly played in higher resolution with the backwards compatibility, and mistakenly assume that was a special feature of the backwards compatibility.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

fishmech posted:

Almost all of them are on the 360 backwards compatibility list, which is a much smaller list of games than the full 1000 or so Xbox library. A lot of people would have tried them on their new 360, saw that it suddenly played in higher resolution with the backwards compatibility, and mistakenly assume that was a special feature of the backwards compatibility.

What about cases like this: https://halo.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?cid=7139

Halo 2 on the original Xbox never originally supported 720p, but it did on the 360.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Instant Sunrise posted:

What about cases like this: https://halo.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?cid=7139

Halo 2 on the original Xbox never originally supported 720p, but it did on the 360.

That was a one off thing where Microsoft specifically built the emulator to improve the Halo titles. They did not bother implementing it for other things.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Freedom Fighters runs like rear end at 720p on the 360 (worse than the Xbox), I bet the thing they did for Halo 2 just doesn't have a similar success rate for other games.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

TheScott2K posted:

Current gen consoles have one very big quality of life improvement over the last generation: suspend. Assuming it also works with BC games, it alone would make playing old games better on Xbone.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Suspend is this generation's version of wireless controllers coming with the box - a seemingly minor change that you definitely miss the hell out of when you go back and it's not there.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

TheScott2K posted:

Suspend is this generation's version of wireless controllers coming with the box - a seemingly minor change that you definitely miss the hell out of when you go back and it's not there.

Yeah the switch, the 3ds, xbox one, ps4 and Vita all have it don't they? I think wiiu doesn't. So pretty much every modern console has it. And they better not drop it ever.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i never even really use it on ps4. its great on 3ds/vita though.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Awesome! posted:

i never even really use it on ps4. its great on 3ds/vita though.

It's great that the PS4 and XBone have Games and apps loaded on different levels so you can suspend a game, watch something online then go right back to playing.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
xbonx

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Behold, a Porsche that looks like all other Porsches

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so how much?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm sorry guys. Nobody deserves this crap, not even you..

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Minecraft in 4K.

"We're searching for games that are fresh."

Yes you are Phil. You really loving are.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I missed the first hour is the Xbox One X a new console or just another Xbone revision? I can't tell.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I missed the first hour is the Xbox One X a new console or just another Xbone revision? I can't tell.

Xbone revision that tightens up the graphics

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheScott2K posted:

Xbone revision that tightens up the graphics

So what's the Xbox One S then?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well guys I have to apologize.

I doubted the XbonX could do real 4k but if the graphics are really as lovely as they have been on every game they showed it just might.

This is a loving disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

So what's the Xbox One S then?

An Xbox revision that does what the PS2 Slim did and plays 4K blurays/netflix

• Locked thread