Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
The Directed Sale had about 30 minutes of clusterfuck followed by the easiest sale ever. There were tickets for days. Hopefully, the directed sale goes the same way.

Burning Man fundamentally changed my life. Prior to going to the Burn, I was practically a nihilistic pile of poo poo who didn't really do much of anything productive. Somewhere inbetween the dust storms, building my camp solo, naked bike rides, and dancing, I realized just how powerful human agency was and that giving up on life wasn't really a positive thing to do. Since my first Burn in 2011, I've landed a full-time job, a beautiful girlfriend (who also goes to Burning Man), I've completely changed my outlook on life, I'm a more wholesome and positive-thinking person, and I really could go on. It's funny, because it's totally possible to go to Burning Man and spend the week just partying and having a blast, but I spent most of my first year having this ridiculous spiritual experience and ended up missing every single thing I intended to do. I stayed sober the entire week and cried more than I ever have in my entire life. I still have a hard time believing that this city is going to rise again, but here it is, year after year, continuing to be ridiculous, amazing, inspiring, and none of the above. I've started volunteering a ton in my region, and also working a lot with the Gate/Perimeter/Exodus folks. It's simultaneously funny and stupid that a festival in the desert has completely changed me, but so it goes. That's my page one two cents, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

gadgethugs posted:

Heard back from GPE so I'm getting kinda excited for that. Now back to wondering if tickets will have sold out by the time my flight lands tomorrow.

Welcome to the family. GPE is awesome and, by far, my favorite thing to do on Playa. The work is hard but the satisfaction of doing something really important with a fantastic crew is awesome. I'm zeBuns. Say hello!

mitztronic posted:

Got a ticket and a car pass. See you guys on the playa :)

So excited. Hoping I can find a camp to play a DJ set or production at. Not going to hold my breath though... I just don't know anything about the different camps and where my sound would fit at. I have some friends who know lots of people that play at sound camps, but I'm not interested in playing electro or dnb / whatever on the playa.

I'll most likely be camping with Burning Sky.

I know some camps have open decks, but honestly, DJs are really a dime a dozen out there... everyone wants to play a set somewhere. I'm sure you can find something if you put your ear to the ground, though. Welcome!

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

WOW! Just finished resting up from the weekend. Sacramento/Foothills burners just threw the Burnal Equinox celebration, and it was quite fantastic. It has grown from a one-room-and-parking lot mini-event into a full-on camp-out with two stages of music, dozens of theme camps, and FIRE! It was a fantastic time. I worked through most of the event, but we all know that "work" at Burning Man events isn't exactly work...

If any of you are looking for a great half-way point celebration next year, I advise you attend and have a blast. It was a great time, despite some county laws coming down on the event (no gifting of alcohol, unfortunately) and some rain.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Alfajor posted:

My camp's first meeting is tonight. I doubt we'll commit to making 300 gallons of beer again, but we'll probably make at least 50.

In my experience, it usually goes like this:

"Okay, we are never doing X again. Let's do 1/4 of x."

"Well... how about 1/2 of x?"

"Okay, 4 times more x it is."

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Hooray, placement going out. It's happening again!

Unplaced this year, aiming to be off of 7:00 and H. I did two years in the suburbs, and then one year on A street, and I forever want to return to the Suburbs. Bringing along a gang of virgins and a couple of veterans, we're planning on making cocktails and chilling.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

gadgethugs posted:

Can't speak more good words about the hexayurt and swamp cooler combo. My partner and I had an H12 tricked out like a (very) small flat. Shelves, drawers, full sized futon. Also 120v AC provided by solar panels but I digress. Hey Booger what thickness boards did you use ? The first year we used our hexayurt (without a swamp cooler) the temperature was more or less bearable for naps any time of the day. The biggest benefit the swamp cooler brought was keeping a consistent temperature throughout the day with all the door opening / closing.

Unrelated to hexayurts; who else is doing GPE this year? I'm all signed up in their management system now I just need to figure out who to sleep with for a sweet perimiter shift.

Perimeter fills up really fast. You just have to keep your eye out for one to open up and jump on it. It's kind of tough, and you'll probably do a midnight - 6am or 6am - noon shift for one.

I'm working something around seven shifts this year, I just recently signed up for all of my stuff and I'm totally excited.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

I leave on Thursday and I have packed absolutely none of the things. fuckfuckfuck

See ya'll out there.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Alfajor posted:

Please add to OP:

drat. I didn't even know that happened. What day was this?

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

The Tuba guy is actually David Silverman, who plays a flaming tuba at the Burn and also happens to be one of the head honchos on The Simpsons.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Ticket secured through gate, but it looks like this will be my first year in five where I might not be able to make it... debating whether I want to go for early entry through midweek, or do event week only... Bleh. New jobs suck.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Just signed up for my shifts. Another crew is trying to recruit me, too. And I'm running the hell out of my theme camp.

It's funny how Burning Man slowly becomes Working Man. I hear the next step is Radio Man, and then Spreadsheet Man.

And somehow, it's more fun than ever. Dammit.

Anyone working GP&E this year? If so, see you in the hole.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

gadgethugs posted:

Ephemerisle has the best moop. We found a giant floating couch, a floating disco ball that belongs to the bump bed (they put their art car on a barge), and we pulled up another anchor with one of our own anchors.

Yeah just signed up for my lighthouse and apex shifts. See you in the hole indeed.

Ahhh, Apex. ADHD with vehicles. Lexicon is awesome, runs it real well.

I'm mostly doing Airport Gate, 401k/Ira recruited me into it. I have that, plus gate opening, plus exodus, and then another gate shift. Taking it easier than last year.

That reminds me, I still need to sew up my patches...

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Out of five years on Playa, I'd solidly rank this one as 4th best.

2014 > 2012 > 2011 > 2015 > 2013, for me.

Something was off this year, and I'm not sure what.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

RACHET posted:

There was a euro sparklepony invasion this year mooping all over the place

This was certainly happening. Certain camps like Robot Heart have become destination parties for rich and famous folks. If you look carefully around the crowd there, you'll see some ridiculous types of people there.

I liked the weather - it wasn't that. But I sure as hell did see a lot of people who were on their first year complain about it.

But I don't think the problem is virgins, either - virgins are great, and bring a ton of energy to BRC...

There were tons of darktards... a loving ridiculous amount. I'm not a costume cop or anything, but walking around completely not illuminated at night is a retard deathwish. The backroads were filled with parking lots rather than camps. The amount of turnkey camps was loving ridiculous this year - Cirque De Gitane, PlayaSkool, Dragonfly Den, to just name three off the top of my head that rubbed me the wrong way. Working at the airport gate, I got to meet tons of the exact wrong types of people who seem to be flooding the event. For some reason, every major media outlet seemed to do daily reports at Burning Man - and I knew this because cell phone reception was absolutely perfect this year and people were posting twitter updates and such - heard this from friends who arrived later in the week due to work. Tons of people ran around calling their friends and texting people to find out when the next "big party" was, rather than living in the moment. Someone chastised me for missing the "epic" Tycho sunrise set and then was surprised when I asked - who the gently caress is Tycho? I thought they were talking about the guy from Penny Arcade. More and more of the event appears to be catering to bro-chella douchebags who are looking to take instagram pictures and hit up the next big DJ set. I know of a few companies/groups that build art cars for plug and play camps... and their "style" was all over the playa this year. I counted at least twenty unique cars of theirs that were most likely rented for the week. Working Gate Actual, I met more than one delivery guy who had the sole job of driving in and dropping off some massive RV, only to fly out on a charter plane a few hours later, with a functioning EA pass from a theme camp and a ticket. I think about the burner who wanted to make a (funky art project/funny interactive thing) who could not get a ticket so one of these guys could deliver an RV.

The art? Awesome. Some of the people? Even better. Helping co-run a fantastic bar with a napping dome? gently caress yeah. Everything else? What the gently caress is happening to the event I fell in love with five years ago? I'm happy to see I'm not the only one feeling this way, as sad as it is. I've been involved in my region, helped bring art to the burn and regionals, do a poo poo-ton with GPE on and off playa and at regionals, but something was seriously loving broken with the 2015 Burning Man event.

Sorry to poo poo on the heads of any 1st/2nd years who came out and did it right and had a blast. I love you guys. I just hate the awful 10%ish of Burners who would be better served getting VIP at EDC or Coachella or Ultra or nearly any festival on Earth, and I wish that Burning Man hadn't become the weird mecca for these types of people to come and waste a ticket at.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkOlPGdOznI

??? He appears to be an artist playing at Coachella, point stands.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Looked up Tycho, he played a headlining-ish time slot at the Mojave tent at Coachella this year. Still confused as to why you think he's some kind of underground artist?

How was your second year at Burning Man? You appear to know a lot about how the event runs. Tell me more.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

FRINGE posted:

The rangers arrest people? That ... doesnt make sense?

There are multiple agencies that go by "rangers" - The BLM (Federal Law Enforcement types) and the Black Rock Rangers (the guys in khaki/tan, Burning Man volunteers). BLM have authority to arrest and cite people and patrol the event rather heavily.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

RE: The White Ocean thing

1. gently caress Plug and Play, but if you want to prank/interact with/gently caress with their camp, do it in a way that opens a dialogue and isn't damaging. I think they're a stupid fucktard camp too (especially knowing certain things about who camps there and what they do) but stupid fucktards are allowed at Burning Man too and they do provide a pretty big and cool thing to share with the community. Also, straight vandalism that floods the playa, screws with potable water, etc doesn't really hurt a millionaire camp with vendor service. They had fixed everything except the damage to the playa by the next night so I mean, woo good prank guys. They have trucks coming from Reno daily with everything they need, and one more truck isn't much of a problem. Vandalism doesn't engage them and the russian mafia billionaires and crown princes that camp in there aren't going to go "gee, someone dumped bullion cubes into my water. I gotta rethink my Burn and how I approach my life." DPW taking over the 747 and demanding to speak with Larry Harvey while engaging the city and other participants in some good ol' fashioned theater? That's good. That didn't gently caress the playa up and it probably made someone think.

2. It's pretty much confirmed as an entirely inside job by disgruntled ex-workers at this point so it wasn't even really vandalism by people looking to get justice as much as it was sabotage by people who feel stiffed.

Also my sixth year was my best loving year ever and I thought I was going to graduate, but not anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

http://tickets.burningman.org/

Little bit later than usual.

• Locked thread