Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Sweet, it looks like we are in planning stages to represent Florida at conclave this year and that I will be doing fire breathing for it. Good times! The council for Burning Man has received our Intent to Perform Form, so we have cleared our first hurdle. Now we will be moving onto the nitty gritty.

Any other goon fire monkeys here?

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Turtle Blogger posted:

I will be in a fire conclave for the first time this year. I will be doing hoop. I'm really excited to perform in the ceremony. It blew my mind at my first burn and it'll be my pleasure to be a part of it and also get front row seats to the man burn.

Awesome, I love me some hooping.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

fits my needs posted:

Looks like a majority white people thing. Cool for white people I guess or heavily Americanized minorities that will be accepted if they're white enough.

Yep, just white people with a sprinkling of P. Diddy.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Anyone going to Transformus this year?

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Glad to see virgins going! I might finally be able to lure one of my long time friends to go with me.

I will, if I get the time off. I've definitely good things about it from people who go to multiple regionals a year.

It is great, I go to a lot of regionals and it is probably my favorite.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Yay! It's official. Just got this message today.

quote:

We are happy to announce the official intent response has been mailed out and we are on the list!!

HEY YAH!
Welcome to the 2014 Fire Conclave.

This year 43 groups have applied for perform in the 32 available spots within the Great Circle. At present this includes 14 small groups and 29 large groups.

We have 23 returning groups and returning Shins, as well as 12 new groups and new shins, and there are 8 returning groups with new Shins.

We are super stoked to work with everybody again, and we’re especially thrilled to welcome the new Shins to the fold. The new Handbook of Awesomeness can be found on the Fire Conclave Resource page http://tinyurl.com/2014-FC-Resource-Page

Without further ado --Welcome!

Aish Tamid ~ Brian
~ Returning Group, Returning Shin
~ Philadelphia, PA, USA
~ Unsure leaning towards a large group
I'
Aries Fire Collective ~ DanaBlaze
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Sebastopol, California, USA
~ Small Group 10 to 25

Beyond Fire Tribe ~ PoppBear
~ Nevada City, CA, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Burn Academy ~ Scorch
~ Returning Group
~ Long Beach, CA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Burning Sensation ~ Black Dragon
~ Returning Group, New Shin
~ OC/LA, California, United States
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Cascadian Fire Collective (CFC) ~ Pi-Trick
~ Eugene Oregon
~ Unsure leaning towards a small group

Church of Flaming Funk
~ Celeste
~ Alaska, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Circo del Fuego ~ Justine Xander
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Primarily, Brooklyn, NY, U.S.A. California, U.S.A., and International.

Controlled Burn ~ Erika
~ Reno, Nevada
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Empire Fire Collective ~ Brian
~ New York, New York, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Empyre ~ WendyT
~ San Diego, CA, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Fire Muse Circus ~ Adriane
~ Salt Lake City, UT, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Flameology ~ Spark
~ Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Florida Fire Collective ~ Kevin Daniels
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Flow Templars ~ Quidam
~ Los Angeles, CA, USA

Garnish ~ Michael
~ Philadelphia, Portland, Bay Area
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Hawaii Fire Artists ~ FIRESOUP
~ oahu,big island ,kauai,maui.. Hawaii
~ Large group - 20 to 50

HoT CoCo ~ Crush
~ Denver Area, Colorado, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Incineration Congregation ~ Alicia
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Boston, MA, USA

Kenna Tribe ~ Felix The Fire Cat
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Los Angeles, California
~ Small Group 10 to 25

KOI ~ Hex
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Cincinnati, OH, USA

LA Fire Brigade ~ Jenn
~ Los Angeles, CA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Luminesque ~ Joey
~ Ukiah California
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Lumininjas ~ Luna
~ chico ca

Ministry of Flow Fire Collective ~ Britt Dawg
~ San Francisco, CA, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Minneapolis Fire Collective ~ Fire Mama
~ Minneapolis, MN, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

MythMaker ~ Hjeron O'Sidhe
~ Vancouver BC Canada
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Nero's Orchestra ~ Arashi
~ Oakland, CA, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Nocturnal Sunshine ~ Tica Bonita
~ Santa Cruz, ca USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

NW Fire Conclave ~ Kyle
~ Seattle, WA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Oregon Fire Conclave ~ Jpeace Love Circus
~ Portland, Or, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Pyro Sagas ~ Rex
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Las Vegas, NV, USA

PyroKlectic ~ Jana Banana
~ Phoenix, Tucson, Sedona, Flagstaff, AZ- Las Cruces, NM- El Paso,TX- San Francisco, CA- Marina Del Rey, CA- New York, NY
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Pyromance ~ Brit Says
~ New Group, New Shin
~ St. Louis, MO, USA
~ Small Group 10 to 25

Pyrophylactics ~ Warren
~ Returning Group, New Group, New Shin
~ Ventura, CA
~ Small Group 10 to 25

Radiant Heat ~ Natalie
~ Vancouver, BC, Canada
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Revolutionary Motion ~ Drex
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Washington, DC, USA

Rocky Mountain Fire Forged
~ Houston
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Denver, Colorado

Surreal Fire ~ Moth
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Sacramento, CA, USA

Tahoe Fire Dancers ~ Andrea
~ New Group, New Shin
~ Lake Tahoe, California, USA
~ Small Group 10 to 25

UK Fireworks Collective ~ Loz
~ Edinburgh, Scotland

Utah Fire Tribe ~ Rio
~ Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
~ Large group - 20 to 50

Vulcan ~ Krissy
~ Oakland, Ca
~ Large group - 20 to 50
super excited...

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 4, 2014

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

quote:

Congratulations ********!

Dear ********,

Congratulations, you’ve been awarded a Low Income Ticket to Burning Man 2014: Caravansary!

Looks like my ticket is secured!

I was curious about something and I am not sure if I read it here. I am thinking of flying out and getting supplies there and packing out may be an issue. There is a company that I vaguely remember that rents whole camping packages for the playa including a tent, shade structure, food supplies etc. This seems like the most viable option but I cannot for the life of me find the link. Does anyone have any idea of what I am talking about?

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

psyched for all you lucky devils that get to make it out to he playa this year!

I can't make burning man but perhaps I'll see some of you other beautiful individuals at Alchemy, Transformus or one of the other burns I'll be at on the east coast

TAKE CARE TAKE CARE TAKE CARE

I will be at Transformus, also, my regional is in 10 days. http://www.floridaafterburn.net/

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

We briefly considered going to afterburn. We will be in south Florida at that time for our honeymoon, but lugging all of our burn crap on a 2 week honeymoon is a bit extreme!

Preheat is the one coming up in a week and a half or so, Afterburn is in November. You def consider coming to either one, they are smaller but pretty drat awesome. My theme camp this year which is Center Kamp Tavern combined with Beer Camp to make a drunken village, should be pretty great.

Edit: Just realized how busy I am going to be this year with burns, I don't think I am going to get a chance to decompress!

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

kunoichi posted:

Oooo I will be going as well. See you there! I will be camping with Hookah Lounge.

No poo poo? Are you on the Florida burns FB group? This is Nemo.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

kunoichi posted:

Yes I'm a member there but have never posted. Name is Christa. Interestingly enough, somehow you met/interacted with my roommate at afterburn last year, because you are friends on FB.

Really? Last Afterburn is somewhat of a blur. Who is your roommate? If you don't want to post here than I have PM's.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Thanks for the kind words everyone. We are beyond excited as well. I am in Miami, my friends moved to SF last year. I'll be meeting them the week prior to BM then we're all driving together to the desert. It will be amazing.

If you're in Miami you should come up next week for a regional in Lakeland.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

kunoichi posted:

Yes I'm a member there but have never posted. Name is Christa. Interestingly enough, somehow you met/interacted with my roommate at afterburn last year, because you are friends on FB.

TURN DOWN FOR WHAT!!!!!

What an epic weekend. I hope you enjoyed yourself! I know I did.

RicochetD20 posted:

I didn't expect there to be so many goons at PreHeat.

Last year at Afterburn I brought Tequila for the tavern, and this time around I'm bringing whiskey.

I am pretty sure I killed all the tequila at Afterburn and PreHeat, I love bartending at Center Kamp Tavern.

Edit: 8:00am Sunday at our regional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caOEWOz3SR0

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 29, 2014

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Just left ranger training, what a great time. It is required for anyone who wants to ranger and I suggest it to everyone.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Well... It would seem that someone committed suicide at the Utah regional by running into the effigy. What a way to go... I'm heading to Transformus in two days and expect to hear people talking about this non stop.

http://burners.me/2014/07/14/burner-community-processes-its-greatest-tragedy/

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Off to Transformus! If any goons want to hang out, ask for Nemo at Cosmic Raspberry. We are on the left side of the left lake on the map.

Edit: Here is the map https://mapsengine.google.com/map/u/0/edit?mid=zCNl_DAcECsk.kzmjQTVwU5hg

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
So, for the past 3 or so months I developed an uncontrollable cough which developed into chest pain. While at Transformus that pain increased 10 fold, I lost most of my stamina due to lack of breath (if I took a breath halfway it would hurt really bad) and actually had to walk off conclave halfway for the first time ever. I finally went to the hospital only to find out that I have pneumonia and chances are it's chemical based due to fire breathing. What really sucks is that I have been to multiple burns with this (kind of funny to me actually) and that I may have to give up fire breathing for a long time if not forever. What really really sucks is that any last shred of hope of going to BM has been axed and I won't be able to perform in conclave. :( This loving sucks balls. Sorry for posting this but I really needed to vent. Burn brightly guys and scratch my name into the temple.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
About to move from Florida to Portland Oregon, I hear there is a huge burn community out there and was wondering if anyone here is involved there.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Turtle Blogger posted:

Im a portland burner, there are a ton of burners here. There is a weekly meetup at a bar in SE called Roadside Attraction every tuesday. Theres also a portland burners facebook group. If youre a flow artist or acrobat or circus person or even just like dodgeball or chilling in the park, come to Monday Funday at cln summers park(on nice weather days). Hope this helps. If you ever see a buff dude rocking 2-4 hula hoops in public, come say hi, thats me.

I am already a member of the Portland facebook group, my name on there is Nemo Curat. I do fire breathing primarily but also staff and fans and am heavily involved in Florida's conclave and our local fire jams. Can't wait to meet everyone when I move, the few I have spoken to all seem cool as hell. Feel free to add me on FB.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Was on the art grant committee for the Florida regionals, approved a project because it sounded cool. He had one of the actual jets used in the movie Tank Girl. It was supposed to be converted into an art. The guy got a lot of cash and nothing ever came of it. This was over a year ago and the rumor is that the grant went on drugs.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 15, 2014

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

orange sky posted:

Are you on drugs right now? That was really hard to read for some reason.

Exhaustion and typing on a phone. I believe I had been up for 2 days straight before typing that.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Making my yearly post. Is anyone attending Florida AfterBurn this year?

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

BlueBayou posted:

Simpsons version of BRC was pretty faithful

Especially the space coyote

I was actually pretty shocked, it was complete with fire spinners and a drum circle. I had a nice chuckle at the tuba guy.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

OniKun posted:

The Tuba guy is actually David Silverman, who plays a flaming tuba at the Burn and also happens to be one of the head honchos on The Simpsons.

That's awesome...

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Invite secured :smug:

Also, will be in Miami for love burn next week. It's only the second year but a burn on the beach? Hell yeah!

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Ok, looks like I will be camping with Feed The Artists, it's between that and Planet Earth. If I end up going with FTA I will be on playa a week early.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Looks like I will be performing in conclave this year :)

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Turtle Blogger posted:

Me too, for the second time. Which one are you in? I'm in garnish

Garnish? I loving love you guys. I'm doing breathing for Florida fire conclave this year.

Really excited, the guys from need to burn are in the crew this year.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 12, 2015

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Turtle Blogger posted:

Are any of y'all going to Soak? Its the Portland regional burn. I'm going for my 4th year, arriving EA

I miss my Portland family and I miss a roadside attraction.

Question for the group; What's the policy on posting gofundme's for theme camps here? I'm in the process of building a haunted house by night and freakshow by day and will be test running it at Florida Afterburn this year before bringing it to the big burn next year. I have been wanting to do this camp since my first burn and have an amazing team of people with loads of experience, I just want to make it as epic as possible.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 9, 2015

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

This sounds loving awesome. Can't wait to see it. It sounds like you guys have it under control but would love to help or at least be a parttime spooker. I live out of state but rick and storm are my family so I try to get out to help set up CKT on thursday. Where do you live?

I live in Tampa, Rick and Storm are awesome and CKT is my usual camp, lol. This is Nemo.

Edit: Hit me up on Facebook, i'm in the Florida burns group, just search for Nemo and I will add you to the Haunted house group. Only slack I got was from some raver kid and he actually told me burns should be about PLUR... So I named the camp "Pain, Loathing, Unrest, and Rot"

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 9, 2015

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Cool, I received mod approval to post the gofundme for the haunted house.

http://www.gofundme.com/ty46d4

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Just got home from the Kentucky Regional burn! It was seriously the best year ever! Now to start gearing up for Transformus! Anyone else headed to NC?

Considering it, depends on burning man funds. Had a blast at rainformus last year.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Well, it looks like my theme camp arrangements are falling apart so I either have to find a new place to camp or just set up in tent city :(

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
I had to drop out of the Florida Burns art grant committee this year as I am test running my new theme camp and will be applying. I plan on traveling with this next year to a lot of regional burns as it grows and eventually having it on the playa. We had our first build meeting yesterday and it went great, I couldn't be more happier with my crew. Since this is my first time leading a major theme camp I was wondering if you guys could have a look over my proposal and let me know what you think. I didn't include my budget list as it is incomplete while I wait for section leads to get back with me.

quote:

Camp Creepshow
“Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places” - H.P Lovecraft

Come one, come all! Step right up ladies and gents and pay witness to the greatest show on this plane of existence or any other! On one side we have before you a structure of the upmost curiosity, the barracks as you will for the carnivals talent and single reason this carnival has been off limits until recently, so please enter at your own risk. Some guess that the structure itself is flickering between our world and one the human mind cannot comprehend, it truly is a place of wonder but only for those who wish to test the boundaries of their sanity. Enter at your own risk and realize, this is your choice, your radical self-reliance, one that should not be taken lightly.

Over here feast your eyes on amazing wonders sacrificing mind, body, and soul with the sole purpose of bringing the freaks straight to you, our lovely and lascivious patrons have the chance to enter into our bizarre realm and partake of the fruit of our twisted minds. Life is a hideous and rotten thing that is decaying before our very eyes, and from the backdrop behind what we know demonical pieces of truth which when comprehended reveal a "reality" a thousand fold more hideous. There are few personages who know truly what wonders are opened to them in the stories and visions of their youth; for when as children we listen and dream, we think but half-formed thoughts, thoughts that brought us awe, wonder, and inspiration. And when as adults we try to remember, we are dulled and prosaic the magic has been replaced with the poison of life. The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown. Step through and experience that which you have lost. And perhaps you will find wonder again. Welcome to Camp Creepshow!

Now that we are past the flavor text I would like to explain what this camp is about and its goals. First and foremost, we want something different; we came up with a carnival of horrors theme camp complete with a full haunted house. This camp came to me at the burn with the ferris wheel effigy and has stuck with me since, in a sense it is my dream camp finally coming together with a crew that is more than I could possibly ever hope for. Each and every one of us is an expert in our fields. During working hours (night time) for the haunted house we will have what I am calling a “Sanctuary Crew”, I am fully aware that some of the things going on could make things rough for some people which in turn, we will have a barker booth announcing for people to enter at their own risks and signs up with warnings. This does not mean that the faint of heart will not be able to enjoy the camp, there will be so much more involved that will keep people entertained such as stilt walking/jumping, jugglers, talent shows, etc. This is also a green camp, we will have recycling and trash receptacles, things commonly used at carnivals that are considered M.O.O.P. will not be used most of our members are seasoned burners and know better. Beforehand, at our live meet and greets I will be stressing to our members that I do not want to see any trash left lying around. A small group will be assigned to LNT crew throughout the weekend and everyone involved in the camp will be sweeping the area for MOOP after breakdown.

Activities

(Really quick, one of our members is an EMT who will be there with full gear; I will also be there with a breathalyzer for anyone wanting to participate in suspensions or the fire circle)

A full on modular haunted house, we are making it modular to adjust for the plot that we receive (This is a huge camp and I am hoping to stay away from the nosebleed sections as a lot is based around traffic and our barkers bringing people in, we are also investing a lot on decorating and making the entrance as authentic as possible). There will also be sound running through the haunt playing ambiance to add to the experience. Rules have already been set, there is to be no touching whatsoever, we are not using animatronics as that is pretty drat lame but already have a full cast who will be our “spooks” so to speak. Jean-Paul who has 13 years’ experience with Howl-o-Scream, Bob Warner who has 20 years’ experience building and running haunts, as well as Nicole Alcaro will be our leads for the haunt itself

Live suspension shows for experienced suspension artists/professionals and a few going up for the first time, this requires needles, different types of hooks, and bio equipment which will all be listed in the budget list. Accompanying the suspension will be a closed off clean room where we will be prepping for the suspension. Everyone involved in the piercings are licensed professionals and OSHA certified. At all times the suspended will have a spotter crew checking for cleanliness and offering support. Suspensions have been going on at the burns for quite a while now with no incident, but this go around I plan on setting up our clean area the same exact way you would see at a professional piercing studio. The only ones allowed inside will be the suspenders, suspended and spotters, gloved and washed by hospital standards. We also have a pre-built cube custom made for stationary suspensions, if we plan on swinging it will be done on a rig specially built for such a thing or a large branch that will be tested beforehand. All grey water from this section will be properly contained and disposed of offsite.

A stage where we will be holding the talent/freak shows all weekend, one end will also act as our primary DJ booth for the weekend. There is a strict rule at the camp of no happy EDM or Jam Bands, people can’t walk 10 feet without hearing the bass drop and I want to start adding variety to the Florida burns. Music listings include things such as Goth, Industrial, Metal, Punk, 80’s, Old Wave, new wave, etc. This is part of our day time activities along with many other activities in store for the kiddies (a roast of Brian Wiener is being planned). Suspensions will also be involved in our day time shenanigans. One side note; we will be adhering to burnt oranges sound policy very strictly and then some. We know our music selection may be a bit different and will be setting speakers up so that the main focal point of the sound is in our camp

Saturday night Halloween costume party, this is exactly as it sounds.

We will have an area to do FX prosthetics and make up, this is not only for our camp, anyone at the burn is able to come and get painted up. Our crew for makeup is absolutely amazing; I will include some of the work that has come out of these individuals. I have two people on creative design, professional face painters so to speak and two on prosthetics.

Matt White will be providing special effects such as laser shows, tunneling and all that jazz. We will also be using chilled fog machines to get that low to ground fog effect around our camp.

A ghost ship acting as a dance floor and hang out spot. The ship in question is the one from last AB and PH at Matt Whites camp, this time decorated to become a haunted ghost ship so to speak. This will also be the location of one of our bars.

A main bar serving only specialty drinks that fit the theme of the camp. Indy Glo is bar lead and has come up with quite a few specialty concoctions. She has put quite a bit of time and effort into perfecting the recipes that I am sure will be an absolute hit.

A chill zone that consists playing horror movies all weekend, I have already decided that the screen will be pointed away from the burn in case people passing by are not in the mindset to see a horror movie.

A separate sound section which will be piped directly into the haunted house using small computer speakers, this is to add ambient sound to the experience.

Friday night fire show in conjunction with Hippytrix and a full fire circle the rest of the weekend including extinguishers, nomex blankets and safety staff at all times. The circle will be controlled and away from anything that could pose a possible risk, breathalyzers will be on hand and I plan on working very closely with CATS. It is possible that two fire puffers will be utilized.

Constant talents throughout the day in front of camp such as stilt walkers/jumpers, fire eating/breathing clowns, jugglers, and a barker podium. The recruitment phase is coming from our talent/freak show members.

Workshops for costuming, costume makeup, juggling, stilt walking, fire eating, and throwing your own haunt. There will be more to come on this one but those are the main ones off the top of my head.

A hearse with a coffin as a decorative center piece, this is highly dependent on the space we will have, it will probably be parked right next to the entryway to the haunted house

Last but not least; Bloody marys will be served as a special treat in the mornings, how could you possibly have a horror based camp and not serve bloody marys?

Community Involvement

Within the planning phase itself I have been consulted by a large amount of members wanting to help in some way with this camp, many of whom are camping elsewhere, I am still in shock and awe at the positive responses received since my first announcement even from those who won’t enter a haunted house. The planning phase actually began a few years ago by me, when I attended the burn with the ferris wheel effigy, it reminded me of an adult carnival and every carnival needs a haunted house. Main planning phase began around the time of preheat and has been booming since then with weekly meetings by the leads to our first build day tomorrow 6/28/15, reoccurring every week up until Afterburn. Originally planned as a haunted house, thanks to the support and involvement by the community it has grown into something much larger with the additions of the suspensions, bar, freak/talent show, and workshops. Many have signed up as build crew and yet again, quite a few of these lovely people are involved with other camps, they are just amazingly psyched about this camp and want to see it happen. Bob Warner, who has been building haunted houses for around 20 years, is overseeing the build itself. I plan on this camp to grow into something more amazing than it already is. Future plans include carnival games, a “dunk the sparkle pony” tank, recruiting more talent for the shows, and much more. I eventually want this to be a full on haunted carnival. The camp itself will also be toured to different regionals and my dream is to eventually have it on the Playa. As for activity for the community, that is what it is based on, there will never be a dull moment, there will always be something going on for people to get involved in. If someone from another camp has the urge to scare people on cast a lead will sit with them, give them a primer and rules and send them off to the makeup and costuming area. My main impact that I want is to show new burners and old that there is more to a burn than chill domes and EDM and why radical self-expression it is one of my favorite principles. Maybe, and I am praying for this, we hope to inspire others in the community to envision different sorts of camps and interactivity and see people’s ideas for theme camps that never happen, perhaps this will change things for the community as a whole and we will see some more “strange and different” theme camps in the future.

Timeline

Planning phase is now coming to a close, it ran roughly from April until today 6/27/2015. Facebook group created for general spit balling and organizing, weekly meetings between leads, and inventory checks. During this time section leads were selected based on experience and drive. Minutes have been kept from most of the leader meetings; here is an example from our first meeting…

“Notes from tonight's meeting! Thank you again Nemo Eshelmam, Matt White, and Nicole Alcaro for your time!
For starters, we need to start getting roles assigned like Matt has suggested. We all know our strong points and weaknesses.
Nemo and Byrnie : The Freakshow which consists of a clean zone
Matt : VFX
Jean-Paul, Nicole, Bob : Props. Get a chat/topic started where all three of you can start figuring out what you have. Nicole, you mentioned the hearse! kiki emoticon
Indy: Bar! I’ll be thinking of rad drink ideas (got a real cool one in the works already) a will be in charge of this area. Making sure we have plenty of bottles, drink ideas, set shifts for the bar, etc etc.
Nemo: Grant proposal. Micro or Macro grant?
Project Manager: Will work closely with Nemo and the Secretary. This person will alongside Nemo keep a close eye on each project to make sure things are going smoothly and timely. Maybe set up weekly/biweekly meetings. Some meetings for the core crew/leaders some meetings for everyone camping/helping. We need to make sure everyone is on the same page and COMMUNICATING. Set build days.
Stage: Patton?
Sound: Kevin, Stephen, Steven?
Make-up: Christine, Caroline, Bobby?
Promoters: ?
Kitchen: ?
Graphic Design (for posters or just facebook posts): ?
Secretary: Note taking, camp dues, book-keeping, paypal, Go Fund Me, etc.
We need to start making separate posts for lists:
*build materials <--- dimensions, what’s needed, how many ^We need an idea for camp size! This includes how much room there will be for whoever will be camping^ example: PVC, pallets, posts, tools, black plastic, paint, etc
*props
*Bar: I’ll be making a list of specific liquors for specific drinks.
*emails: if we are going to do any outside of facebook contacting we need emails of the crew
*movie ideas for the chill zone
*List of campers
*List of cast (I think we need to make a schedule for this as well)”

Build phase begins 6/28/2015 with our first live meeting, we have people coming in from all over Florida, this is where I will be assigning sections to the crew who have not already been placed. This will run every Sunday until Burning Man and continue right after up until a week before Afterburn if needed, which chances are it won’t, as I had mentioned before I have an awesome crew who are hyped to build this camp. Set up will begin (with permission) the Wednesday before the burn; there will be quite a bit to transport even with me renting a u-haul for the weekend.

Please be brutally honest, having been voting on these things for the past few years is making me want to step the game up a bit. We have had trouble at the Florida burns with having anything different than your average chill dome and DJ booths playing EDM and a bunch of us are doing theme camps this year to show how broad of a concept they can be. We also already have around 180 ft of wall done for the main haunted house.

Edit: Here is a rough layout of the camp, there is one that is to exact scale but nothing is labeled and I am in lazy mode right now.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 30, 2015

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

mitztronic posted:

Weren't applications due over a month ago, and any time to update the application now closed? Or is this for next year? Confused

It's an application for Florida Afterburn, I will be test running it at regional burns before bringing it to ttitd.

Edit: I have mod approval to post the gofundme. http://gofund.me/ty46d4

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 30, 2015

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

goodness posted:

Does anyone know any local burns or conscious gatherings around Arkansas? I plan to be in CO by October which is probably a lot closer to some events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regional_Burning_Man_events#Colorado

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

FRINGE posted:

BMO pockets a lot of money in ways that I think suck, but theres no reason to allow the piggies to demand endless butter and flushing toilets in the middle of a no-city-infrastructure salt flat via an extortion letter.

I mean this is a real issue (unlike the cops needing butter fountains):

http://burners.me/2014/09/27/burnileaks-workers-want-rights/

Its actually a longer article, thats just the core list.

"6. Volunteers may work for many years without reimbursement or consideration for the value of their experience."

Last I heard that is what volunteers do.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Since I have mod permission I am going to throw down my go fund me again for my theme camp, we are test running at Afterburn in Florida, then I think Alchemy and Tfus, and finally BM next year.

http://www.gofundme.com/campcreepshow

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Just got home from Transformus. While it was amazing, we had our first ever death. It was a somber temple burn.

What happened? I have been avoiding the Tfus facebook group since I am a bit miffed that I was unable to go this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

goodness posted:

They found a man face down in a pond, he died offsite at the hospital.

I just read this on the tfus group, they have a crowdfund going for the family, going to donate.

• Locked thread