Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
People who are mad about interceptors are just not using the proper strategy to deal with them. Yes, the align-fit inty is impossible to catch or hold down, but they're also incapably weak. The only people they can kill are the afk or terrible, and they have to run from anything that can hit them.

Chasing them around with the normal theta defense fleet is dumb because they can outrun you and you'll never catch them. They are happy to let you chase them around because they know you'd rather be ratting and they are making you waste your time. These are tactics straight out of our own playbook!

Instead, what theta should do is make a rota fund that pays for one guy in an arty wolf or thrasher to chase them around. That guy spends a couple hours playing benny hill until they get bored and gently caress off, and the fund partially offsets his lost ratting time.

Cerebral Wolf posted:

I've still not flown one!

Are they viable for solo dicking about in lowsec?... I'm guessing they are a little too fragile?...
They're viable everywhere because you have the speed and maneuverability advantage to run away from anything that can kill you, except another interceptor. However, lowsec is where you'll find a whole lot of assfrigs and destroyers, which are the things that an inty always has to run from. So it's not the best space to use them. If you want to dick around in an inty, go straight for null.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

S-Alpha posted:

But it's still the same "a bloo bloo bloo, this thing I like that's really good should stay really good" whining.
"a bloo bloo bloo a thing that I dislike can get around my minimum-effort security blanket and kill me when I'm not paying attention or even sitting in front of the computer"

I have no particular personal love or hate for interceptors, and totally applauded the agility nerf that removed the 2s warp. I also think the 8au/s warp speed is just a bit ridiculous (not the absolute number, but the spread in warp speeds between the fastest & slowest ships is really crazy. I'd love to do some slight tweeks to that system). But what additional nerfs do you want? Nullification is the ability that makes them work, do you want to get rid of that? Do you want their base agility to be so bad that even with 2x istabs they take 4 seconds to warp? What exactly do you think is so OP?

A ship that is really good at one particular hyper-specific task and can be completely countered by multiple other ship types isn't overpowered. It's just a gimmick that you are too lazy to deal with.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CainFortea posted:

Look, I'll try and do this simply for you Tuxedo. If inties were balanced and fair, then why is it almost always interceptor gangs? HAC gangs are less and less often, hell even blops gangs are becoming less frequent.
Because they're cheap and the people who are using them are risk-adverse pissants who don't want to fight. They just want to annoy you. Mostly because a bunch of the people running interceptor gangs through our space got kicked out of their space by goons.

It's like you people haven't even looked into our history or something. This is what we used to do to other people. And we mocked them when they complained!

S-Alpha posted:

If their agility were brought down enough to make it so that, assuming an agility fit, they could be brought down by a halfway decent gatecamp, then they can keep their bubble immunity as far as I care.
This would make it so that an inty without agility mods would have cruiser-like align times. Terribly align time makes their fast straight-line speed useless. Congrats, you just made interceptors terrible for anything except coward gangs, all so that maybe you'd have a shot at killing one in your lazy gatecamp.

edit: Tuxedo Catfish's idea isn't bad though. A minimum 3-tick warpout would be an adequate inty nerf and make catching a covert+nullified T3 a bit more possible.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 20, 2014

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

moolchaba posted:

Or just give hictor bubbles the unique additional effect of -15% agility.
An agility penalty would be kinda weird and makes me very suspicious of it having a lot of potentially OP uses more than just being a interceptor counter.

My dream change would be to alter all nullified ships so that you have to hit a higher speed to warp out of a bubble instead of 75%. Going from the formula on aligning from the eve wiki, 90% seems like a good number. It would make everything take a bit longer to warp when bubbled, and pretty much kill the 2s warp interceptor in nullsec. But outside a bubble the inty would be just as fast & maneuverable as ever.
code:
        Ares     2i Mal   3i Mal   Loki
50%     1.31     1.14     1.01     3.45
75%     2.61     2.29     2.02     6.90
90%     4.34     3.80     3.36     11.46
95%     5.65     4.94     4.38     14.91
x% is % of max speed, numbers are seconds. The ares is a basic tackle fit with 1 nano, the Mals are maledictions with 2 & 3 istabs, the loki is a covert fit with 1 nano & a poly rig. Uboat T3s could still use the mwd trick to warp in 10 seconds.

The trouble with this idea is it's a code change, not just twiddling the stat numbers in the database.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FoF posted:

I will admit I completely forgot to take in account the ship itself lock range and not the range of the disruptors.
Remember also that sensor disruptors get kinda crappy in falloff.

quote:

In engagements that are limited due to b0tlrd and not full coalition vs coalition fights, then yes a triage carrier is really good.
Massed triage carriers are in fact so good in giant coalition vs coalition fights that every doctrine in widespread use specifically takes them out of the picture via alpha damage. Nobody brings triage carriers to a fight anymore because the triage carriers have already won all the battles it was possible for them to win.

That's not what happens when something is not good enough and needs to be buffed.

quote:

If 2000 of those 4000 show up to defend their space and 3000 of the 40000 show up to take it who is actually fighting harder for it?
A for effort only matters in grade school (and themepark mmos).

How come nobody in N3 was willing to get into stealth bombers and siege random RUS systems for a couple hours?
Ask that question and you have the reason why, ultimately, the CFC's balance perspective has a ton more legitimacy than the N3PL side, as articulated by Grath. The CFC was willing to do pretty much anything to win. For several weeks we ran into the slowcat / Wrecking Ball fleet, for which the only counter was "get more supers than your opponent". (Oh, and some other ~secret~ tactics that Grath swore existed but wouldn't reveal.) Who has the most supers is a loving stupid balance, but oops, looks like we did have the most anyways.

N3PL was willing to fight but only so long as these conditions were met:
*they didn't need to recruit and make equal partners with the inferior low-skill masses from TEST, EMP, various minor southern alliances, and sundry former abandoned allies
*they could avoid fielding any subcap counter to FYF by assigning drones to a ship immune to ewar
*none of their line pilots had to put in a lot of time commitment
*they thought that capital escalations would always go their way because they had supercap supremacy
So why exactly should Grath's bitching bear any loving weight whatsoever? In hindsight it reads as nothing more than "I should be able to dunk on whoever I like because PL has SP and Big Ships."

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Ok since we're having the numbers vs power debate and FoF pulled the hyperbole card by escalating to dumb questions about whether 2 frigates should win vs 1 titan, I thought I'd bring it back to the reality of what kind of numbers we are talking about when complaining about "OP".

In the Wrecking Ball doctrine, which is the most extreme example of unsupported caps versus subcaps, each Healer Aeon can repair at minimum 5000 ehp per second on a tank Archon. That is a worst-case scenario where the archon pilot has IV skills and only T2 tank gear. If the Archon has carrier V and a modest 250m in deadspace hardeners, that can easily grow to 6000 ehp/s. But we'll be conservative with the 5k number.

So let's say the CFC decides to suicide a bunch of Baltec Megas into the Wrecking Ball, at close range with CN antimatter. They do 500 dps each, which is easily matched by the Archons using Gardes. So we'll say that 1 Archon = 1 Megathron, and each Aeon negates 10 Megas via rep power.

x Archons + y Aeons > x + 10y Battleships, so the WB side can fight outnumbered 11:1 and win with no losses.

This envelope math is why the CFC's best idea for a while was to bore the other side to death.

edit: tl,dr FoF is dumb.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 21, 2014

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Uba Stij posted:

To be fair to FoF, I also used the same comparison when discussing how there's not ~true balance to the force~ in the current scheme of things. Granted I'm not as adamant, but I'd like it to be as easy for smaller guys to deal with larger groups as it is for the larger groups to "just throw bodies" at the smaller guy.
I completely agree that there should be methods for smaller numbers to do well in nullsec. But that should not, in general, be in battle versus a prepared opponent with superior numbers. Areas where I think an outnumbered group should be able to get an advantage:
*Metagame (possible now)
*Sovereignty (not possible)
*Harassment (currently marginal)

In the great Sov Rebalance debate I generally like the category of ideas in the "use it or lose it" side, where mil + industry indexes have more impact on how strong a sov claim is (or how expensive your sov bill is). Mechanics along that line would give a small, dedicated group some tools to weaken a larger, uninterested opponent. But even then it would be more of a tool for gaining a negotiated settlement than outright victory.

quote:

Though the argument for the whole "making and managing allies" is a valid one that solves it. PL are pretty much "we're happy doing our own thing" which is fine, but it's also proven to be an issue when dealing with this subject.
I think PL's real problem is they want to have their cake and eat it too. They don't want allies because they like having the maximum opportunity to get in fights, but they also want to win all the time. That attitude was fine when they were being carefree nomads who dunked on random sov-havers all over eve, but the only way to keep it in their current state is pushing distorted game mechanics.

PerrineClostermann posted:

I thought that was made clear back during the Fountain War? He even got banned, iirc. And his redtext avatar wiped out.
Back then he was dumb about politics and strategy and other difficult topics. Now he's dumb about basic math.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
^^^ awesome

kalstrams posted:

Oh, now that is very interesting. Do we have any working "invincible interceptor" fits ?
Put three Inertial Stabilizer IIs on any interceptor other than a Crow or Malediction. If you have Vs in evasive maneuvering and spaceship command, congrats you have an invincible interceptor. As long as you don't get hit by smartbombs or lag, you cannot be pointed or shot before warping. Now put 2 hypervelocity rigs on it and you have a taxi that can go anywhere in the universe in under 20 minutes.

(The Ares can actually get to 2s warps even if you have pretty crappy skills by loading on 4 istabs and rigs. And the malediction can do 2s warps with 4 istabs, but why bother when the others are much easier.)

VVVV
edit: oh I guess so, I was just looking in EFT and it doesn't complain about a character with evas man 4 so I didn't pay attention. whatever, the point it an invincible interceptor is easy and not some special "fit".

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 22, 2014

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ablative posted:

So basically never.
I'd describe it like this: Eve pvp is a fuzzy and complex rock-paper-scissors system. It's fuzzy because a ship hull isn't the only factor, so you can't tell just from the ship type whether the other guy's rock is really a rock. There are plenty of ways that someone can make their rock into an anti-paper rock, at the expense of being much worse against scissors. All you can do is look at the probabilities, and be ready to change your tactics -- or just GTFO -- when you find out you were wrong.

It does take a while to learn (memorize really) where each ship class and hull variant is on the big r-p-s wheel of strengths and weaknesses. But since that knowledge is like 90% of where player skill matters in eve, it's kinda ok that it's difficult.

The other thing is that sometimes you take your ship against an opponent that, in theory, you have no hope against. But the other pilot was an idiot, or didn't know how to fit his ship, or was drunk off his rear end, so you win. So if you have a cheap ship and the other guy has an expensive one, maybe it's worth rolling the dice on a fight you have no business winning.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Leper Colon V posted:

Well, ultrafuck.
OK, ignore all those other guys talking about what we currently use or don't use. Because the current state of Goonwaffe is this:

Fly whatever the gently caress you want. Get cash money.

If you have ECM skills, fly a blackbird even though the "official" doctrine ewar is Celectis with Damps. You'll still get reimbursed enough to buy another when you die. The Celestis guys get even more money, but once you have enough for a second ship who really cares? Fly a blaster moa, a RLML bellicose, or any other T1 cruiser you can fit out. Get paid. Bring a drake to totally inappropriate fleets. Get paid.

All the assholes we dislike just ate tens of trillions in losses from the war, and while they're trying to grind back to some sort of fighting capability, we're still rich. We riding bikes son, and right now the bikes have diamond-encrusted seats and gold spinners.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lowkin posted:

So my time in High-sec hosed me over with the missions where I am located now, I am at a -3.61 with the faction I want missions with. Is there a way I can pay for standing or am I just going to have to grind out lvl 1 missions for days to get to the -2.0.

Also as an amarr player should I stop training lasers? seems like none of the ship fleet doctrines include lasers.
You can do the SoE epic storyline, the end reward is bonus standings for any of the 4 empires. There are 50 missions, but it's designed to be possible for new players so you can blitz through the thing in a good cruiser.

(Don't do lowsec pvp in the space controlled by the empire you like doing missions for. They ding your standing for crimes committed in lowsec space they own.)

Train lasers if you like lasers. Which particular gun the big fleets are using is more FOTM than anything else. Lasers aren't great for the current big fleet meta, but they're perfectly fine for other PVP. If you like missions, lasers mean you are pretty tied to amarr ones to be efficient, since you can't switch damage types.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sorus posted:

Since I stumbled across this little gem of a thing in this thread, I was wondering if I could get a bit of guidance.
If you are training logi V to fly logis, get gallente cruiser V because the guardian is meh. If you're doing it just for the carrier pre-req, do the carrier thing. Other directions:
a) finish of some other T2 ship Vs (ex interceptor V is pretty key if you want to actually fly those)
b) do the leadership grind so you can bee a wing / fleet booster
c) pick a new race (prob galente or maybe minmatar) to go into
d) train a different character on the account to keep your clone cost low

Sorus posted:

I also don't know what, if anything, I can use now that would let me be somewhat useful fleet wise (aside from being just another warm body).
Realtalk: everyone in a fleet is just a warm body, unless they're a FC, scout, intel, etc. A logi pilot is just playing a different flavor of whack-a-mole, a cap pilot isn't making independent decisions. It's much better to have fun and be invested than to be "useful", because people who do everything to be "useful" burn out and quit.

Lowkin posted:

I was going to try and get a armegeddon drone mission boat, I thought missions were the preferable income. On the forums it says 60-80m and hour.
I was making atleast 20m an hour doing lvl 3 missions in high-sec so that doesn't sound that profitable.
Missions have a huge spread based on ship used and how you're doing them. There are people who make 100m/hr by blitzing, but that requires a lot of knowledge of which missions to auto-reject because they're slow. I'd bet a drone 'geddon is on the low side of 60, but you can be pretty afk with drones.

I've heard that level 3s can be nearly as good as 4s if you blitz them, and with way less investment.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Omi no Kami posted:

That's me being unspecific with my terminology- the un-fun guys I talked to said if I liked the invisible rear end in a top hat aspect of gameplay that acting as a scout (in, I assume, a cheap covops ship) was more fun and cheaper than earning the skills and ISK to effectively operate a bomber.
A covops is better for scouting because it's cheaper, and sometimes a scout needs to use probes. But covops can't do anything else but sit around and be invisible. Being a scout is great, if you have a gang to be the scout for. Solo, covops are generally useless for pvp.

Bombers can do these three things
1. In a well-organized group, launch bomb waves which can destroy large numbers of ships like the hand of a vengeful god. Bombs can only be used in 0.0 / w-space, you cannot launch them in high or lowsec. You need a group because one bomb can barely kill a frigate.
2. In a group with other covops-type ships, use a black-ops bridge to drop via covert cynos.
3. Solo, kill a very limited range of targets: mainly unarmed ships or battleships that are too dumb to carry some anti-frigate drones.

Bombers are good ships to be an invisible rear end in a top hat in, but target selection is important.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Make your own zero-effort eve ad today! People will appreciate your ironic lack of cleverness or humor. They definitely won't say that it's the exact same joke as last year only worse. :rolleyes:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Leo Showers posted:

So let me get this straight, please ensure I am not missing anything.
You're missing that the community the ad is for is basically clone-goonfleet. If eve was a Civ game, zulusquad would be a chunk of the map that flipped to our cultural hegemony.

I'm not sure whether that makes the unfunny ad + slapfight ironically humorous, or just sad, like a kid desperate for an abusive dad's approval. :(

Klyith fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 2, 2014

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
FYI to the thread to maybe defuse some tensions, Kitchner isn't a rejected j4g, he's EXE's (head?) diplomat. Not every person who gets a SA account is doing it to get into goonfleet.

I'm sorry for insulting your ad dude, but I watched some of the tournament stream and there are two other ads with the same guy so at least you've got company. Also maybe think a moment before getting all made at zulu being called a goonfleet-clone. Most of us like goonfleet / SA-gaming-community, or we wouldn't be here. It's not an insult to observe that some non-goons wanted a similar community.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lowkin posted:

Who are the big corps in EvE?
http://evemaps.dotlan.net/alliance/all/memberCount

quote:

Did BNI just join the opposing side to CFC?
No, they just made their own new side. They're probably not going to go directly against the CFC because that would be suicide. God knows what they will do with that collection though. It's too big for the kind of roaming gently caress-around stuff Uba is proposing. Also the big war is drawing down.

My bets are either going to Curse and looking to pick up something out of the mess in that area, or NPC delve. I can't see anything else working -- these guys aren't Sniggwaffe, they can't do the pure nomad thing.

quote:

Also does anyone hate this marmite collective as much as I do. Do they just sit in Hi-sec gate camping to catch War-decced alliances.
Yes, dumb people hate them. Smart people don't give a poo poo because you can look at your active wardecs, and if you see marmite on it you know to avoid the two or three places they're likely to be. It's not like you'll be surprised by a roaming marmite gang.

There have been groups doing that for years, ever since wardecs have existed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
:words: a brief history of suicide ganking :words:

Uba Stij posted:

I asked a few people and apparently it is an exploit. Go figure. I'm still not sold on the reasoning but it's not my game.
Specifically:
-Using one slot on a paid account to gank, biomass the character, make a new one, and gank more
-Abusing trial accounts by making ganking characters and then ditching the account

At this point it's sort of a historical artifact from way back when. In 2009 CCP buffed Concord to about their current spawn timers (I think it got a second buff again, but don't know when). Before that you had almost twice as much time to gank someone. Before the buff it was really easy to make a new character (with 900k SP back then) and go to town with a catalyst or thorax. After the concord buff you had to invest way more training into it, which made the whole burner character thing less popular.

Circa 2010 if you were in goonfleet you'd see karttoon grinding sec status by chaining rats in 5 systems in a loop. Then he'd go blow it all at once by using a mad bomber battleship full of smartbombs to kill & pod 20 miners. That was really the most efficient way to blow your sec if you wanted to get the most damage for your grind time.

All this because it wasn't until 2012 that gankers figured out the trick of jumping into a ship already in space* and warping before the space police show up. If you undock a -10 character from a station or jump through a gate, the faction police already in space can scram you unless you were in a very quick-aligning ship. So the "boomerang exploit" quickly became common knowledge and lead to a renaissance of ganking with permanent -10 alts.

Then CCP removed insurance for concorded ships, making constant ganks prohibitively expensive for most people. But at the same time they gave us the T3 BC, and a bit later added the tags-for-sec thing, which have turned ganking into more of a profession than random griefing. On the long timescale you can definitely see the balance tip back and forth as players get more sophisticated, and CCP makes ganks more difficult to compensate.

*actually first someone, possibly helicity, discovered that if you blew up a ship and warped before concord arrived, you could keep warping around until your criminal timer expired, jump through a gate, and evade concord entirely. That was declared an exploit, but the idea stayed around.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FoF posted:

Or you know just stay out of the echo chamber but since you said it:

So if Montollio doesn't form the HBC and TEST doesn't leave the CFC what happens come Odyssey? CFC redivides up assets in Fountain? And then what?
Of course not you rear end. You've really drunk the coolaid if you think we were looking at TEST's moons when they were still officially in the coalition. If anyone was saying anything about TEST's moons, it was probably something about not letting Baki Yuku "manage" them.

As for what happens when Odyssey hits if TEST was still in the CFC, who loving knows? That's a year after TEST mostly split to take Delve with PL as the HBC. Lot of poo poo happens in that year. Before TEST split the map looked like this. NCdot was still in tribute and Solar still owned the drones. I can construct a lot of alternate timelines starting from there, and very few of them involve your Inevitable Goon Betrayal.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FoF posted:

Goons were a huge part of taking DQPB as well so you could probably move the time frame up past that assuming TEST still maintained relations.
That was very much the start of the split. TEST+PL started the Delve invasion, without Goons. The CFC as a whole didn't come in until the proto-HBC stalled out halfway. Remember that we had just finished a war against Raiden and the tracking titans, and that PL was on the other side for that one.

I've never understood how Goons are the Brutus Iscariot for TEST, given that we're the only ones who stabbed you in the chest. Pretty much the whole rest of Eve stabbed you in the back. But somehow we are the ones who were plotting against you the whole time. :iiam:

Rather than hang out here and be aggrieved, why don't you join sniggwaffe and bug any PL guy you see about why they abandoned you?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

padijun posted:

e: serious question: how long does an ESS stay up? And is the bonus determined by how long it's been up total or the times since it's been cached out?
AFAIK the ESS should stay anchored forever. Possibly they despawn after 30 days of no interaction like the mobile depot, but that was never said anywhere so I think not. They're limited to 1/system so CCP doesn't have to worry about clogging up their database.

The bonus goes up for every rat killed in the system, then resets back to the start when it's shared / stolen. So nothing to do with total time anchored or number of times used.

mikey posted:

Is it the speed/sig ratio, or what? It can obviously fit far more shield transfers and do cap chains, and used to be pretty good after the first logi rebalance.
The sig is the worst for logis, but not by that much. It's mostly the awful speed when AB fit and the terrible resist profile of T2 caldari ships.

If you fit 4 rep / 2 cap xfer it doesn't gain much rep power over a scimitar. But the 5 rep / 1 cap requires pretty good skills and is horribly vulnerable to jams. Basically the areas it's better are not worth the bad stuff.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 4, 2014

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Famethrowa posted:

How the gently caress are we feeding kills to MOA? :cripes:
When we lived in Delve there were some dedicated guys who eventually cleaned Burn Eden (I think?) out of NPC Delve. But you can't occupy all of Venal, it's too big. If a group wants to sit around and pick off easy targets, you can't really do anything about it.

The worst thing you can do is sperg when people get killed by them. The stupid people got their punishment with a loss they can't get reimbursed, and the guy who had an unavoidable disconnect or client crash wasn't doing anything wrong. Yelling at people to tighten their shot groups is just forum porn for the other side.

smg77 posted:

According to posts in eve-o GMs are sending back canned "it is your hardware or your ISP" for tickets related to socket closures.
What, really? They had announced loss reimbursements for the DDOS stuff, are they claiming that all this socket closed nonsense is unrelated?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cerebral Wolf posted:

Can anyone suggest some good videos etc for solo pvp?...

I keep losing. I had a good shot at killing a stabber in my jaguar last night but then another one jumped on me and I died horribly.

Actually, how the gently caress do I even know what I should/shouldn't be engaging?..
1) Here's Kil2's old youtube channel, he has stuff with commentary explaining things. I'm not sure that videos can really teach it though. It feels to me like the people who are really good at solo are the ones that are so numb to loss that they're always the one with the coolest head.

2) A jag is a crap ship solo. It has miserable DPS for an assfrig, it takes way too long to kill anything. Long fights mean more time for friends to show up.

3) Don't engage people with friends. :)

nessin posted:

Apparently Snigg is on a recruitment spree this week, even if Xenuria's tenure was brief. The newest recruit, Alphastarpilot: https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/alphastarpilot
Except that's SniggWAFFE. And the message here isn't that PL is nabbing a FC, it's that -A- is a miserable place to play eve and nobody there is happy. If I was a RUS leader, I would be really worried about them and how quickly they're going to fall apart the first time anyone seriously comes at them.

Unless, of course, I was ukranian and had bigger things to worry about.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Red Crown posted:

two months

I guess somebody saw the headlines after B-R about $300,000 spaceships lost and thought this was how you play eve?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

goodness posted:

If they get me irl, name a station after me.
We will spell your name in space by lighting 1000 officer cynos.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Ok thank goodness for this:

a ccp dev posted:

If we make a skinning system proper, we would have to go the route of "the thing that changes the color of your ship" is an item of some sort that can then be applied/fitted/affect to your ship.

We will not continue with the BPC implementation as it is very limiting and unsustainable in the long run.
Because that answers the main "this is not what we asked for" first impression I got from the blog. I do think the 350 aurum aka 1/10th of a plex is a tiny bit on the steep side for a cosmetic item that is lost if your ship blows up. At that price not that many people will be using paint on pvp battleships.

I'm getting the impression that fully custom colors ala that ui mockup with the hello kitty scorpion will be forever impossible. But lacking that, a new "paint slot" that you could put a "paint item" into would be pretty tight. Like rig slots they could divide them into S/M/L/cap sizes to keep the price discrimination they're going for with the pilot program.

Also CCP artists must have their monitor brightness turned allllllll the way up to stave off icelandic winter darkness. Because 4 new paint schemes, and they're all dark as gently caress.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bagu posted:

Also, they should probably let you turn seeing [skins] off if there's any kind of client side load from them.
My understanding is that the V3 graphics use shaders to do the colors on a neutral texture map. So for example, the half-dozen different catalyst variants already in the game have no real additional memory or performance impact versus looking at a regular catalyst. They have the exact same skin textures but different color shaders.

It looks like they're going slightly further than that with these hew ships -- they very much look like they mostly share textures with the base ship but with new or additional color layers. So some additional memory used. But in the hypothetical future full skinning system that Rokh could be painted blue instead of orange stripes for no additional cost in artist time or client performance.

Also,

Tolth posted:

A maelstrom - http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=22314707.
He was in a bubble when he died so I don't know if I actually contributed much,
You've already been richly rewarded but just to give you even more props: your tackle absolutely contributed to Baki's death. He was in a bubble, but on the killmail you see he had a Micro Jump Drive fitted. That can jump out of a bubble, and only a warp scrambler will turn it off.

Newbie tacklers do still matter! :shobon:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Leo Showers posted:

I'm getting performance anxiety from the Vyst edit, but here's another one. I think these comics are great because the possibilities are endless.

(BTW timg your big images plz.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bilirubin posted:

Ah of course, targeting speed. Thanks folks. Have to say it makes the game sound much more appealing. Up to this point in reading on tackles I was thinking best strat would be to pick unusual Y-Z orbital angles, but factoring in speed as well man you could piss some folks off
Which exact angle you fly at doesn't matter in the simple example where one ship is shooting at you. The thing that matters is transversal, the absolute number of degrees/second that you are moving across his view. So moving fast on an orbit that's farther away is worse than moving somewhat slower in a very tight radius.

All guns in eve have a tracking stat, which corresponds to how many deg/sec it can track a target (the actual stat is in radians/sec). If your angular transversal is higher than that, the damage rapidly degrades.

Second, all guns have a signature resolution, which gets compared to the signature radius of your ship when it shoots at you. If your signature is smaller than the gun's signature, the damage degradation from tracking is even worse -- but only if the guns can't track you. If you are sitting still, or moving directly towards or away from that ship, your transversal will be very low and being small doesn't help.

(Math on the eve wiki)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

snooman posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one completely unrealistic thing EVE does is apply the same transversal velocity to both you and anything you orbit. In a real world scenario the orbiter's guns wouldn't need any tracking at all since they would essentially be pointed at a more or less motionless object as the ship rotated around it.
Yes, and the gif is actually wrong because it shows the orbiting ship having no trouble tracking the center ship. In the two ships were using guns with the same tracking, neither one would be able to hit (or both would).

At the deeper level, most of Eve's code sees ships as simple spheres that don't actually have a front or back, only a movement vector. When you see your ship rotating to change direction, that's just your client interpreting the change in vector and keeping your ship pointed to where it's going. In fact nothing of the sort happens, and the overview will display your true angular transversal as the server sees it (ie you and your opponent have the exact same number versus each other).

In reality this hardly ever matters because orbiting fast enough to out-track your own guns hardly ever comes up. AFAIK interceptors are the only ship you have to be aware of the issue on a everyday basis.

(The ship-sphere thing is also why, for a short period of time until it got patched, some ships would warp while apparently facing sideways.)

vyst posted:

It's Friday and i'm tired and I know if you tell me who you are I'll feel like a moron because it will be like oh duh. Cut me some slack
CapII I think. edit EFB

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
BTW the Groon / Rote team is facing PL in the NEO, 40 minutes from this post.

Good luck dudes!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
No boundaries wins, PL is out! I just had the thought that the only thing that could make Goonfleet's tournament history any funnier would be if Groon (and Rote) won this one. That would just be the most amazing thing.

(Also I have no idea how PL didn't bring out some AT ships for that match.)

edit: very amusing, somebody in TRI now owns telefishopolis and used the character for their tournament team. Was surprising to notice that name.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 8, 2014

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

JakeLiebenow posted:

Have to give them props for being the perennial phoenixes of EVE. They always manage to put themselves in a position to be killed several times over, but never really seem to go away.
Who, TEST? They got killed once and haven't done anything of note since then. The fact that they've made it a whole year and a half without disbanding is a pretty far cry from being a perennial phoenix. More like a very slowly decaying zombie.

mikey posted:

Well, a triple MJD Domi team nearly lost to a no-scram team with a few Claymores that had burned out their MWDs and/or launchers, sooooooo
That one was pretty ridiculous. And there's been a few dud compositions (exodus's triple vindi, now table is making GBS threads the bed with a bad gila setup). But other than that it's been pretty good. Honestly though even the first weekend wasn't that bad. When you consider that there were one or two experienced teams that lowballed the entry bid so didn't even get it, it feels like there are close to 32 teams that are at least competitive, if not great.

Right now I think the biggest weakness of the current format is the initial seeding. Double elimination helps, but there were definitely sections of the draw that were pretty weak. One reason the second half of last Sunday was such a joke was that there were good teams in the losers bracket right away.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

bonewitch posted:

Not sure about the NEO prize but I imagine its pretty large as well.
NEO prize is straight cash money, $25k divided among the top three teams 12/8/5. So actually a lot less than than the AT ships when you consider that all 50 ships would have a theoretical value of like $50k in PLEX.

Daler Mehndi posted:

A while back, I saw some Hydra Reloaded fleet in local, and said something to the effect of "Hydra still exists?" The very first reply was something about winning the Alliance Tournament. I figured it was just a joke reply, but apparently they're quite a bit more serious about it than I thought.
I think Hydra as an alliance pretty much exists only as a team to enter the tournament with. HUN is fairly similar. And I think a big reason that a couple corps reformed TRI was to put together a powerhouse AT team (they had 3 different teams in the NEO).

The tournament is starting to become an entire separate eve profession at this point.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kalstrams posted:

What about UAxDEATH (~Ukrainian Death~) who has founded an alliance called Legion of xXDEATHXx with executor corporation Angels of xXDEATHXx and main corporation The xDEATHx Squadron and with a pet/renter alliance Shadow of xXDEATHXx?
Those are dumb as hell too, but foreigners get a special exemption from mockery based on dumb names. Someone who doesn't speak english as their first language might not realize that xXxDeathShadowxXx is the name a 14-year-old chooses.

OTOH most of us think MACTEP is a cool name, but I've heard that other russians think the fake-cyrillic is cheesy.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hemophilia posted:

Has CCP openly stated any intention to break afk ratting? I don't loving understand CCP when it comes to nullsec income.
Not per se. There have been a number of times that devs have said that they want eve to be a more active game, but in a very general context.

A number of people thought that the anom frigate change was directed more at afk ratting (with sentries at the time) and that killing the naga / talos ratting was a side effect. I was pretty convinced that it was directed at sentries, because even though the t3 active ratting was crazy profitable, it was so active that nobody was going to do it for hours at a time. But then during the ESS threadnaught that one dev slipped about "huge amounts of isk entering the game" from nullsec ratters, and I'm not sure anymore.

Wolfy posted:

I also do wonder if ratters make up a significant portion of the ISK side of the PLEX market.
I'm sure it's a lot. As much as we complain that L4 mission runners can make almost the same amount of isk/hr as a nullsec ratter, most of them make far less. Other occupations are just as lucrative (wormholes, faction warfare) but have much fewer people doing them.

But thinking that CCP cares about who are the consumers of plex or how much they're going for is a bad assumption. They care about sudden price changes for plex, and they care about the number on their balance sheet because they mark them as a liability. But I don't think they care if they're being used by miners, missioners, nullsec ratters, or whoever.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pugnax posted:

See, I think I need to quasi-disagree on this. Is there a single other sizeable/space-important entity in Eve outside of GSF that has had particularly good leadership? I'm hard pressed to think of one. Maybe PL in it's own way, but that involves not having a hard leadership structure, so I don't think it counts. Montolio was great at doing what he did (namely building a wack-rear end, albeit large and strong, coalition) and keeping the line members occupied and entertained.
Don't think so much about the guy at the top. The most important part of the leadership is the structure underneath, all the guys who actually do the work. If they're unhappy and feeling poo poo upon, they're going to stop doing work and your alliance collapses. TEST did that all the time, people were routinely scapegoated for whatever went wrong. You can't let that kind of thing happen and think it's not weakening your team.

Goonfleet did well even way back when the CEO was a complete shithead. Remedial was dumb as hell, but the rest of the pyramid was pretty good and ran the war machine. And as I understand it Sesfan (#1) was a FC CEO who ran fleets and was pretty hands-off for everything else. Mittens' byline on TMC about liking delegation isn't a joke, it's a pointed instruction.

mikey posted:

e: I'm not ignoring that GSF was given Deklein for free
*Free with purchase of 5 years of undying friendship. I always love seeing grrr goons people complaining that we didn't "earn" our current position, as if TCF was holding a lottery for who got Dek when they shut down.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alexzandvar posted:

Oh and of course I know about the "Kick ENLI" meme, I wasn't around for the start of it, but I kinda understand why it started "Test was bad", "We don't want ex test" ect.
Nah, we say Kick Enli the same way we say Kick Widot and Kick Merchi before you. Don't take it personal. :unsmith: Of course we also said Kick Battlestars and Kick LoveU, and actually meant it for them because they were loving horrible.

It would help if there were people in Enli who actually posted on the forums or something. That whole vow of silence thing your CEO has you on is getting kinda weird at this point. You can't possibly be worse than SMA.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Filthy Lucre posted:

Wasn't -A- decent at one point? Or have I been reading old propaganda?
The old -A- that propaganda was for is completely different from the entity that has the -A- ticker now. There have been probably two complete turnovers between Evil Thug and today.

Right now -A- is a name that has enough history & cachet to recruit mediocre pvp corps that can't get a better situation but still want the possibility of being in a relevant 0.0 alliance. The fact that their traditional home is a region that absolutely nobody wants is a big part of their cockroach act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Uba Stij posted:

No, neither do the bloggers spamming their stuff. It's claimed "because you are banned from reddit" but according to Reddit admins, we're not. So figure that one out.
It's reddit, whoever is the main admin for a subreddit is free to be pretty drat abusive within their little kingdom. I'm sure he tried to get TMC banned from reddit entirely after the "upvote scandal", obviously without success. But he's free to ban you from his subreddit by deleting threads over and over.

Gotta say that episode was pretty dumb on TMC's part in the first place. The guys in charge should have known that reddit was gonna be super-hostile to the goon-run TMC, and you gave them the flimsy excuse they needed. r/eve is pretty pathetic in terms of threads/day, you really didn't need a boost to be seen.

• Locked thread