Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Its most important combat feature is being radically vertical :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

smg77 posted:

And that it doesn't start with A.

I wish someone had told me this when I first joined.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Leo Showers posted:

I want to say that the Interceptor vs Interceptor fight against N3 in 0-W was amazing.

You want to look at this full size, it's sexy

Does anyone have a link to a video of this? I don't think I've ever seen a large scale Interceptor battle before.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

smg77 posted:

The most obvious core agenda RL money maker protected by the CFC coalition is the propaganda website created by The Mitanni of the GSF. The typical CFC pilot would take a bullet in RL to protect The Mittani and the money he makes from his website. The website is a powerful propaganda tool which nets him interviews, exposure in the gaming media, and shapes the identity of the CFC pilot as they drink the narrative from it like one would from a fire hose. What’s the narrative they follow? The narrative that protects the core agenda RL money maker is “it’s us against them”. Following this narrative in a video game is simple, easy for the line pilot to understand, and can be directed at a target with little effort. Would these CFC line pilots do the same for their CEO or Alliance? Probably not due to the fact that their in game identity is worth more as a CFC pilot (aka mistaken Goon) than it is as just a (insert name here) Alliance pilot.

God its like a horrible, pretentious, 2clvr4u high school essay. :barf:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

hemophilia posted:

I find it really funny how the 'cultural revolution' a couple of years caused such an incredibly loud outcry from TEST. Like they knew that poo poo was pretty much targeted at them and a few other shitheads spread across CFC alliances. The mere suggestion that people reign in the stupid poo poo and not be a rude loving bigot 100% of the time really did drive them up the wall. I wouldn't be surprised if that jokey 'movement' was the thing that caused us to ultimately have a falling out.

I stopped playing eve a few years because I couldn't take TEST bigots and shitloreds anymore. Since goons and TEST where still best buddies at that time I just decided there wasn't anyone left to play eve with. I even resubscribed when heard about the test/goon split, with the hope I could watch them burn. But once you've been in dreddit your painted a spai for life.

Anyway groons are cool so no regrets on the millionth resub, yet.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Sir_Substance posted:

a monumental circlejerk.

Quite literally in this case.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Pioneer42 posted:

I'm right there with ya, man. I'm one of the oldest characters still left in Dreddit, and it sucks that all the people that I learned the game with and had fun with for several years and the people that are now in my corp/alliance are completely at odds with each other both politically and behaviorally.

And it is a real tragedy, as you explained. During our first week the intention was to be a friendly, respectful, mature EVE corp, and one of the first characters to be kicked from Dreddit was Furkle--and for a rude behavior which is par-for-the-course for most members these days.

The drift towards more and more rotten behavior came in two waves--the first was when we hooked up with [LODRA] and Dreddit became imitators of the older, cruder goon behavior of the time. The second wave was towards the end of that year, and was a combination of the current 4chan corps joining TEST and the fact that the reddit site itself had undergone a massive shift in its userbase at the time due to a surge in popularity. Later, GSF successfully cleaned up its act, which greatly furthered the behavioral divide between the two.

The only reason I stick it out with Dreddit even though it's nearly intolerable is because it is my EVE history, and the only other group I would even play this game with is you guys, and it's doubtful that could ever happen.

And with spring starting to roll around, I am really starting to miss Sigma gardenchat. :(

I feel the same way. I was one of the first people in dreddit and it wasn't always as bad as posters in this thread make out. The early days where fun and from what I remember the shitlords where a small minority. The combination of joining with the 4chan corps and the declining quality of reddit probably put the nail in the coffin of dreddit as being a decent corp not long after they moved into Fountain. Certainly I remember playing less and less after that and finally rage quiting eve after trying to call someone out for being an absolute poo poo and being hounded by the free speech brigade.

As has been pointed out having such dreddit on your corp history, won't win you any sympathy from vyst, it certainly didn't for me but there's always GROON who I'd defiantly recommend so long as you don't mind being in a relatively small corp in the syndicate.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Hollow Talk posted:

I'm considering where to go right now, hence my question above about Groon activity. My only worry is that, if I go and join Groon, for example, will I trade BNI for a corp that has most of its activity when I cannot be online, which only seems to be partically the case. This is something I want to consider carefully, because past experience in other MMORPGs has shown that guild corp hopping is usually the precursor to burning out entirely.

I'd be a little cautious about groom during EU timezones. While the US roams that I've been on have been a shtiton of fun, during my regular playing hours it tends to be mostly bittervets who roam solo. While this is great for me it might not be the best place for someone who's still new to the game.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Bean Head posted:

Hate to break out the schadenfreude but what did BNI line members expect when they got in to bed with an alliance that is the dictionary definition of perfidious? Were it me I'd grab what few people that were interested in leaving with me and go back to Barle and carry on doing my own thing. Failing that I can't help but imagine that you and other unhappy newbies would be better served by joining RvB, ENL-A or Waffles or whatever they're called.

I'm not going to lie, I had to look up the dictionary definition of perfidious.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

vyst posted:

Oh god let's not open this can of worms again. Racism SJW on an internet video game is up there with the most annoying of no-win derails of a thread.

I dunno sporadic self policing, no matter how banal, is what stops good internet communities becoming poo poo ones. Its the reasons that originally forced me to leave dreddit and it's is the reason they went from being all :shobon: to the shitlords who whelped foutanin.

vodkat fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 23, 2014

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

vyst posted:

Well he got banned because it was in public and CCP couldn't hide from it in a culture where "cyberbullying" has become a social justice issue. If it was done in a room full of nerds and not being streamed CCP wouldn't have given a poo poo or at least not nearly as much of a poo poo as they do now.

For those of us that have been away from the game for a while can someone succinctly summarise what mittens did to a room full of nerds?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

hemophilia posted:

I was thinking the same thing. You could set them neutral, let them shoot, and poach anyone worthwhile that sticks around like some kind of foreign legion.

Not My Call To Make but there needs to be something that can fill BNI's niche since they will soon be unable to fill it.

I was thinking the same thing. All you'd need right now is someone to form a splinter corp, go back to their base in baurglet and have a corp hanger full of free frigates. I'm sure most of the actual noobs in BNI would follow at this point. Some small adjustments from the top to stamp out any TEST style poo poo and some isk to throw around as rewards for doing cool stuff, helping out other ect and they'd be back to being all :shobon: again.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

goodness posted:

Read the op's first 2 posts. Now realize you have made a mistake and do what you are supposed to do.

This threads obsession with J4G and spais is just over the top sometimes.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Weird question but is anyone else getting paid for ads about wormhole tutorials on youtube ?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Klyith posted:

That was also at a time when the only moons that had real value were tech and 2 R64s, so most of the stuff up for grabs was that way for a reason.

For BNI, they have such a small leadership structure that I don't know if they can even do nationalized moon right now so it may make sense to just skip it. Also it's really not worth taking a moon if you don't think you can keep it for enough time to pay off the investment. Moons are not a get rich quick thing.

1. Buy the "Small Mobile Siphon Unit" from Jita and ship them down to your space. They're 13m a pop.
2. Scout out an enemy tower with "Moon Harvesting Arrays" inside. Those are your targets.
2. Put your siphon in a fast / cloaky ship, fly to the tower and get between 30-50km range of it.
3. Right click the siphon in your cargo, select "Deploy for self", bookmark your location, bug out before the tower can attack you (towers take a while to lock small ships).
4. The siphon steals poo poo once per hour, though the hour is synched with the tower's mining cycle, not when you dropped it.

The guy who owns the tower doesn't get any alerts or messages about it, they have to look in person to see a siphon.

How profitable can this be?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

I can't believe that there are still people left who don't realise that joining goons is always a scam.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

I'd like you all to know that Tim is the best CEO ever. (He finally kicked hoopz)

Poor hoopz, you guys are so mean to him, all he ever wanted was to shitpost in peace :ohdear:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

goodness posted:

At least you found somewhere that dislikes fun as much as you do.

Say someone playing eve online :rolleyes:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I remember a story someone once told me, how a few years back a couple people got together in some pimpfit ships and started killing CONCORD. Like, for hours, non-stop, sitting in the same system and blapping CONCORD ships. They did it for so long that CONCORD called in the Jovians, who then instapopped the players, and that kicked off what we have now.

IIRC back in the day (2003/4 ish?) a pirate corp called m0o figured out that you could focus a huge fleet of remote reps on one ship and then bait concord into attacking that ship. They hell camped a gate in Yulai for about 3 days I think. Of course many pubbie tears where spilt and I think CCP responded by adding insta-kill weapons to all concord ships and added something that meant CONCCORD ships just kept on spawning, preventing anything like that happening again. Some vet thats bitterer than me might be able to flesh this story out properly, but yea concord there was defiantly a time when it was possible to beat concord.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

Any times I can really remember running into PL, its always been a case of not knowing if we're going to have some snowflake tactic that we might have a chance of beating or if we're going to get 40 supers dropped on our head. This might be why the fights wound up being completely unpredictable. That being said, warping my Aeon out from under your supers and that big MoW/EVE Uni fleet in PC9 will probably remain the high point in my EVE playing for quite some time.

Also, I've been playing with a pet theory as to why activity in syndicate has seemingly dropped off steadily for the year or two. It can generally be boiled down to the idea that Syndicate used to be the place where you really got your start in the world of nullsec, but now renter alliances have become a legitimate path into the larger Sov Null world without the pain of living in an area which is basically lowsec with bubbles. You get to learn the mechanics while still having access to things like sov upgrades to make life significantly easier on you.
Traditionally you'd get the groups moving out to NPC nullsec which would be working on growing and becoming used to nullsec combat mechanics like bubbles, forming defense fleets and get their introduction to capitals and the like before moving on to sov space. Mixed in with this you'd also have the PVP groups poking them for fun with no real intention of moving on like Rote and Groon. These groups never really worried about the fact that you couldn't make money or that the space was worthless because the fun PVP environment was worth staying for. However with the lack of people moving in to get their start in sov, the opportunities for fights starts to dry up and groups looking for PVP go elsewhere like rote did with a few stubbornly staying like Groon has.
And now with the new content coming to lowsec like the stuff behind the mordus legion ships, the pirate skins that are supposed to be available from their own special sites combined with some existing content like the lowsec incursions and the clone soldier tags along with greater access to the front lines of the faction warfare zones for constant PVP, I'd say lowsec proper is quickly becoming the better place to live for most small gang pvp groups.

And as bitter and emo as this possibly sounds, I'm still going to enjoy dunking on whatever nerds decide that moving into that awesome caldari station 2 jumps out from the great market in AAS is just the bestest idea in the world because they have this whole game figured out and no stupid goons are gonna stop them. Probably until I quit or the servers go down for good. :black101:

You're right, if only BRAVE had stuck around and ventured out into the syndicate as their first real place in null it would have rejuvenated the whole region. Instead they ran off with the harolt TEST and deprived us of their noobish charm and plentiful targets :smith:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

blowfish posted:

People also made safespots like 100000 light years out in early eve until :ccp: moved those to within 25 AU (I think) of the nearest celestial.

I miss real safespots.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Angry Fish posted:

I don't. Broken mechanics are bad for the game.

You clearly never had the joy of firing torps from rifters.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Is Groon doing anything exciting at the moment or have any other EU tz players? I'm getting tempted to resub but station spinning in AAS and training another ridiculously long skill seems like it might be a waste of :10bux:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Are there any corps goons would recommend that aren't directly affiliated with SA? I was thinking about resubbing but remembering how empty GROON was in EU timezones is putting me off.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

pugnax posted:

Depends on what you like to do, but Waffles is always a good choice if you like shooting people.

I was actually in Sniggerdly once, a very long time ago.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

autism chariot posted:

Stockholm_syndrome.txt

eve_online.txt

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Not sure which part you're referring to, but I'll respond to both. Clockwork pineapple is now a member of the caldari militia, as of the past few weeks. So, there are even few people in AAS during eu time zones than before. Not trying to be critical of Groon, just having the forums to read is both educational and entertaining, but I expected more activity (making that assumption without any sort of research, so 100% on me).

I just resubbed to find groon this way so I guess I'm looking for a new corp now. Can anyone recommend any decent corps that aren't full of pubbies?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Voyager I posted:

In a game that favors pragmatism over principles, sometimes you need to make unpleasant decisions to be successful. Digi is a chained dog, and one that would probably be taken out back and shot if the dangers he protected against weren't very real. As is, we just have to make sure he isn't given too much chain.

He doesn't seem to be well-liked, either on a personal level or as the EVE incarnation of The Man (I think his Kugu asshattery is all most of us have seen of his personal side, but that seems like a pretty substantial foundation for a negative opinion), but who knows better than we do what you can do to an organization from the inside?

Eve is a terrible game and we hate it, lol at anyone that takes it seriously. But we care enough to dox people, out them and poo poo on on them irl (literary). Yours sincerely Goonswarm.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

No More Heroes posted:

Doxxing is never ok but the context was: we are embroiled in a massive war that isnt going very well and all of eve is smugging that we just executed our own titan as a spy. It would be hard to NOT reveal what we knew to be the truth. Manfred had infiltrated titanswarm and lost a titan about it.

Context :seriousinternetspaceships: doesn't make it any better. I really don't know how you guys seem to think that this kind of thing is acceptable or at best its unacceptable but he's really good at internet spaceships so lets not do anything about it.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

nessin posted:

I'm pretty sure you can make a case that European culture is built on a foundation of measuring success as achieving the largest objective feasible with the minimal cost and sacrifice.

goon_history.txt

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Narciss posted:

Responding to straight-forward questions of "is Doxxing ok in the eyes of GSF?" with talk about 'flamebait' and 'trolls' and 'gotcha questions' instead of just "no it isnt" isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

Well you know these internet spaceships are very important. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the fact that lots of the stuff people have been condoning would earn you an immediate ban here on the actual Something Awful forums.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Otacon posted:

If I were Digi and in charge of CFC Counterintel, I'd google all of you fucks so much, and I'd use all the RL information I could to make sure you were booted from the alliance. I wouldn't post any DOXXES anywhere publically, but I'd sure as poo poo use everything I had access to and pin down exactly who you were.

And gently caress you if you think that's creepy - other than being kicked you'd never be able to confirm that I have your address, your full name, your email addresses, your work address, everything. You'd never loving know.

This is totally normal behaviour for a well-balanced, rational, adult member of society.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

One of the things that is so worrying is that this is a serious amount of effort and information for such little reward. While everyone here has been making the case that none of these docs kept private and info isn't published what is there to guarantee that this will be the case in the future? There reason I mention it is that someone jokingly said that GIA probably has better internal security and background checks than fortune 500 companies, and honestly that might even be case, but those companies will also have to comply all sorts of data protection acts and teams of lawyers to make sure that this kind of information doesn't end up in the wrong place or is used maliciously. Meanwhile all that the GSF collect, and I have no idea how much there is of this or how sensitive it is - although the posters here seem to be implying its a lot - is protected by the possibility of a stern talk by mittens and digi's sketch track record on knowing where to drawn the line.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

vyst posted:

I can't speak for the mittani obviously but given that he's met digi IRL i'm pretty sure there's a level of familiarity there. In fact i'm pretty sure counter intel has only had members mittens has met irl.

This wasn't meant to attack goon leadership I'm pretty sure they've got their poo poo together and would never like to see anything like that to happen. It was more of just thinking about the 'doxxing' thing in a different way. Sure this is a thing that happens, in fact lots of the techniques we've been labelling as 'doxxing' are legitimately used by companies out there to mine your data, advertise to you etc even if it is super creepy. The difference is that they have (supposedly) all these legal limits and restraints on what they can and can't do in obtaining this data and using it. Meanwhile, because internet spaceships are serious business, people who are involved with in GSF (and I'm sure other alliances too) have basically been doing some of the same things but these legal requirements either don't apply to them or they aren't being followed. Honestly, I don't really know :shrug:

I guess its just an interesting line of thought about the crossover between 'the real world' and our online world.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

evilweasel posted:

I think you'd be unpleasantly surprised at the amount of actual regulation those companies have.

Well I'm not a lawyer etc, but from my understanding if some of this stuff is linked to real people then it would fall under the preview of the Data Protection Act here in the UK, which would at least have some small requirements of how the data is stored and who has access to it. But then again we are talking about people organising themselves, albeit rather seriously, to play a game on the internet, which does't exactly have much legal standing or precedent.

vyst posted:

No I completely get what you're saying and I agree. I just wanted to provide context that the role of counter intel director doesn't get filled by being "next in line" like a lot of other groups so there's a little more gentleman's agreement that whoever is in the position the mittani vouches for personally.

And mittens is a lawyer so I guess some of this probably has occurred to him an he's ok with it.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

A quick look at the history of EvE tells me that nullsec players are pretty much a girlfriend that get beaten every night but can't end it because it only takes some sweet words from the guy like "occupancy sov", "player built stargates" (and before incarna) "walk in stations" and they are sucking his dick.

Wow what a great metaphor. So poetic and apt to the position of nerds playing an online game about spaceships.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Shut down EVE.

I would actually be genuinely excited for a server reset.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

How do goon guilds deal with people getting banned from SA? Like this thread makes a big deal about you having to be an actually contributing member to the site but I'm sure you must get re-regs pleading that they aren't J4G and allsorts of other poo poo?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

You shut your stupid whore mouth, the kestrel is great. It can kill most faction frigates, all interceptors, and sleepy/bad dictors, destroyers, and AFs. What's not to like?

You can't fit torps anymore :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I can't understand why anyone would want to be in a corp without at least some kind of entry requirement.

This is how most people play eve :stare:

• Locked thread