Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
I've posted this in a reply in the past, but it gets buried in other discussion, and I figure it would best work as it's own post.

So I've been playing Comic Book Hero. It's a program that essentially simulates a superhero universe. Characters can do basically anything - expose each other's secret identities, form super groups, go back in time to fight Hitler, travel into space, go to alternate dimensions, it's really nice. For obvious licensing reasons, they had to invent their own characters, and most of them are terrible. There is, however, a mod that adds locations and characters from the Marvel universe, thankfully. 464 Marvel characters to be exact, with their attributes, powers, and personalities properly modeled. Even relationships with each other, so they naturally form similar supergroups as they do in the comics. You can witness Thor going back and forth between Asgard and Midgard, it's all really nice.

The problem is that none of them talk. Comic Book Hero has extensive support for dialogue, but none of the characters have it in this mod. The game allows characters to say things in battle, and during "investigations" outside of battle, and some of these things can even be character specific, like the Green Goblin specifically referencing Spiderman when fighting him. How cool would it be to witness this universe living and breathing and talking in a dynamic sandbox? I want to add this support to this mod, but I want it to be accurate. It's a large undertaking so right now I'm just focusing on the quips that they say during battle. There are 25 things each character can say in battle, for different situations, and 464 different characters. It actually allows multiple sayings for each individual situation, but I think one saying is a good starting point, since that's a total of 11,600 lines of dialogue.

Right now I'm about 15% done with the project. I've been reaching out for assistance from various sources, partially because I am overwhelmed, and partially because my knowledge of the Marvel Universe is far from comprehensive. I do my research to maintain accuracy, but there are some intricacies that I might not even grasp before settling with a line of dialogue. There are characters in this pack that have appeared twice and have a very select amount of dialogue to pull from, like Gargantus, or China Doll. Gargantus was even misspelled in his issue, so I'm not sure if his name is actually Gargantus or Gigantus.

Anyway, my point is that I need some authentic help, so I made a collaborative spreadsheet. I do not ask that you become a regular contributor, I do not ask anything at all except that if you have some favorite characters that you know well, please stop by and fill out some lines of dialogue for them. If your characters are already filled out, check the authenticity of what is there, make sure it's accurate. These things would help me out a great bit. As the Google document is anonymous, I cannot give you credit for your contributions unless you reply to this thread, so please do so unless you actually intend to stay anonymous. All known contributors will be credited when the free fan mod is released.

There are two documents, the spreadsheet itself, and more detailed instructions should you desire to read them. A note on vandalism: Google keeps revisions of every change, and I make manual backups every time I make a post like this. Reverting changes is a simple affair. The sheet has tabs at the bottom separating the characters alphabetically, to make them easier to find, and in the top left you can see how "complete" each tab is, the time it was last edited, as well as my current focus character on that tab. (The one that needs the most work, usually because I do not trust my knowledge of him/her/it.)

The sheet: http://goo.gl/mr9E51
The instructions: http://goo.gl/WvNC0b

There is a ton of work involved in this project, and I refuse to back down until I see it to completion. Know that while I do post for assistance, I do a great amount of research and contributions myself. I've been working on it for about two months now, and intend on continuing. Know that your help is greatly appreciated.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I passed this by the first time around, but this looks fun. I'll give it a go sometime tonight.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

I made a ton of progress today, did a lot of research on Riptide, Zarathos, Cloak, Dagger, and more. Haven't finished all their lines, but I will in time.

I've identified a few issues with the project that make contributions difficult. First of all, the spreadsheet is somewhat overwhelming, and secondly, you must be logged in to Google to use it. To ease this, I figure I can post one character here, and people can suggest dialogue. That would not be as overwhelming, and you don't need to be logged in to anything else. To avoid becoming to spammy, I will only do this once per week, as long as the interest is alive.

So this week, I choose Heimdall. He's completely devoid of dialogue on the sheet.

Here are the dialogue situations: opening battle cry, battle victory, generic attack, generic defense, taunting, delivering small damage, delivering big damage, taking small damage, taking big damage, scoring knock out, being knocked out, dodging attack, avoiding attack, overcoming attack, shaking off attack, magically defending attack, teleporting, getting angry, berserking, stunned during battle, healing self, being healed, energizing self, and being energized.

Do keep in mind, not all characters have all situations available to them - not everyone can heal, berserk, or energize. Heimdall for instance, does none of these things. He can fight, travel through dimensions, and has a passive healing factor, but he isn't a healer per say, so he won't have those lines.

With that in mind, feel free to post your contributions to the project right here by replying with a line of dialogue and the situation it is for. I'll manually enter them into the sheet. If you have quotes for this character that are cool but don't fit in a particular situation, those are also helpful. They help me gauge the character's personality if I need to invent my own lines.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I've been trying to fill this out with stuff from Marvel Heroes and M:UA since you first posted it, but most of those characters have been taken care of. But I'll check it again tonight and see if there's anyone in MH who hasn't been finished. Once Moon Knight gets released in a a week, I'll probably finish off his thing too.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I finished off what wasn't done for Carnage, as well as tossing in a handful here and there. Obviously, Colossus' rampage quote had to be, "I am not made of steel. Rage. I am made of RAGE!"

Which Venom is it supposed to be? Brock or Gargan?

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

Gavok posted:

Which Venom is it supposed to be? Brock or Gargan?
It is Eddie Brock. Thanks for the contributions. Yeah I didn't know much about Colossus before I started researching, he's kind of a bad rear end. Last night I noticed he just straight up broke Riptide's neck.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 20, 2014

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

Does anybody know anything about Gideon? Wikia quotes don't count. I can't seem to find out anything about him other than he is a businessman and speaks eloquently. Apparently he's a great fighter but every time I see him faced with battle he weasels out of it somehow, or it lasts like two frames. LET ME SEE YOU FIGHT.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Before anything else I wanted to complement whoever did the Roxxon Oil Employees.

Thanks for opening the project up to us, I've had a lot of fun with it myself. And, hey, is it possible to add additional characters? Not to put any pressure on, you've already taken on a ton of work here, but I can think of some big names not on here that it would be fun to write dialogue for.

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 24, 2014

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Before anything else I wanted to complement whoever did the Roxxon Oil Employees.

Thanks for opening the project up to us, I've had a lot of fun with it myself. And, hey, is it possible to add additional characters? Not to put any pressure on, you've already taken on a ton of work here, but I can think of some big names not on here that it would be fun to write dialogue for.

Had some vandalism a month ago or so, Roxxon is the last bit of it I have yet to clean up because I don't know much about the company yet. It's funny but not terribly immersive. Heh.

I have noticed a few missing characters, Rocket Raccoon and Starlord for instance. The pack I'm working with is themed around Marvel from the 1990's so that might explain the lack of a few of them. There is, however, another reason. The pack was also balanced with gameplay in mind. In this game villains typically leave the game by going to jail or dying fairly frequently. The player isn't the only hero mopping up the streets. While the game does reintroduce them over time similar to actual comic books by retconning/reincarnating/whatever occasionally, generally there has to be more villains than heroes to offset this.

I want to focus on this list, because these characters are already implemented in game. They already have powers, they already have personalities and habits (where they typically travel, what they typically do there, and why), they already have stats, pictures, and biographies. They just need dialogue.

With that in mind, however, I do see the merits of having an "Extras" list, in case I want to expand the project after the initial 464 characters are talking. Also it might help more than just my project, if someone's working on Marvel stuff for another game in the future. So I have created one here: http://goo.gl/1KvGjd

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 24, 2014

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Is Namor not in there but Namora/Namorita are? I know there is some sort of rights issue with him in Marvel: Avengers Alliance so he can't appear, but that wouldn't apply to this, right?

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

Fritzler posted:

Is Namor not in there but Namora/Namorita are? I know there is some sort of rights issue with him in Marvel: Avengers Alliance so he can't appear, but that wouldn't apply to this, right?

Namor is in there, but in this time period he's listed as Sub-Mariner.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Arsonide posted:

I want to focus on this list, because these characters are already implemented in game. They already have powers, they already have personalities and habits (where they typically travel, what they typically do there, and why), they already have stats, pictures, and biographies. They just need dialogue.

With that in mind, however, I do see the merits of having an "Extras" list, in case I want to expand the project after the initial 464 characters are talking. Also it might help more than just my project, if someone's working on Marvel stuff for another game in the future. So I have created one here: http://goo.gl/1KvGjd

I'll continue to focus my efforts on the original list. I did some work I'm concerned could be taken as vandalism, on Ghost Rider and Johnny Blaze, using Nic Cage quotes from the movies or interviews... it was all done in good fun, and hopefully most (some?) of the lines actually work in context.

I also added a few names to the Extras list. I didn't add any dialogue, except for Artie Maddicks - I thought it'd be cute if he spoke using pictures, like in the comics, so I put a few up just so other people could see. But unless I have any other burning ideas like that, I'll go back to the original list.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

Made a lot of progress the last couple of weeks. Beyond adding more dialogue, I ported the project to the new version of Google Sheets and optimized some scripts, making it much less sluggish for it's size, and I had a discussion with the head developer of Comic Book Hero, figuring out exactly what triggers what dialogue, which allowed me to eliminate a lot of unnecessary work. The project is now much closer to completion thanks to that. It also allowed me to reword some of the situations to be a little more descriptive. I updated the main post with the new sheet.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Could you provide an updated link to the mod in this thread?

I played TEW back in the day and I would love to get in on this game made by the same creator.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

http://www.mediafire.com/download/27r65lx88f6mfgp/Wudu%27s+90s+Marvel+Mod.rar

Here is the mod sans dialogue. The actual database containing the characters is relatively small, it's a hundred megabytes because there is 464 portraits included. If the mirror ever goes down I can re-host it. It has a ton of potential, but it's dismaying that everyone is silent.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Have you tried fighting against Living Laser? Because he is completely impossible to even hurt if you have the team of Captain America, Jocasta and Black Widow.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

Yeah he looks pretty tough to hit, he's a speedster with a large value in most agility/reactions based rolls, might be something to look at when I do a balancing pass.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

I've still been chugging away at this. I'm starting to run out of steam with regards to straight quotations from the comics. I think any future additions are going to have to start being original writing and/or roleplay. As such I've started reaching out to people with those sorts of talents to assist with the collaboration.

Some of the threads I've made in other places have timed out at this point, so the writing pushes are getting smaller, but I will push on. The thought of an authentic Marvel Universe sandbox is motivation enough to keep this going.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

I have collected a list of characters that I have no dialogue for, and I've made a form submission with those characters only, and on those characters I am only asking for the five most important lines of dialogue, as opposed to the full 20+.

I'm hoping this will help ease some of the intensity of the project, and focus the effort on where it is needed most.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/105M6-p9ZNm0rrCpAHu_NyVaI4_4qxhTRTzaWrBN07FU/viewform?usp=send_form

There is the form. I am also considering incentivizing submissions. I have a box of Marvel comics from the 90's incidentally, and might send those out to people that are submitting the most dialogue. I have no idea what they are worth though, so for now, just make sure you fill out that attribution box. At the very least it gets you into the credits, at most, you get a box of comics out of it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
:lol: I love the fact that one of Arcade's lines is "I FEEL LIKE FORCING KIDS TO PLAY SURVIVAL GAMES!"

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
I'm not entirely sure how this game works, but it sounds pretty cool. A question - why can't Doctor Strange heal other characters? It's marked "N/A" (I added a quote anyway). The good doctor has sworn many oaths in his time. Oaths to powers you cannot fathom. but he swore another oath, first. The Hippocratic.

Edit: Also his superpower is being the best ever at an undefined class of abilities included under the umbrella of "magic." He opens portals to dimensions of unknowable horror on a dull afternoon. I feel like he could probably magic away a broken bone.

A Tasteful Nude fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 20, 2014

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

A_Ruse! posted:

I'm not entirely sure how this game works, but it sounds pretty cool. A question - why can't Doctor Strange heal other characters? It's marked "N/A" (I added a quote anyway). The good doctor has sworn many oaths in his time. Oaths to powers you cannot fathom. but he swore another oath, first. The Hippocratic.

Edit: Also his superpower is being the best ever at an undefined class of abilities included under the umbrella of "magic." He opens portals to dimensions of unknowable horror on a dull afternoon. I feel like he could probably magic away a broken bone.

The original database of heroes is what I go off of, and this database was created around 90's Marvel. I want to get the dialogue finished before I start tweaking it. I want to add more characters and adjust some to modern times, like Venom becoming Toxin and adding Agent Venom. As far as Strange, he does have drain spells that can restore his health and energy in combat, somewhat like you describe as "magic". His day job is classified as medical and that does have ramifications on gameplay. He heals faster than normal out of combat. In combat he uses drain spells. He is also an excellent puzzle solver so he is pretty smart.

However, I did speak directly with the guy that made this game as to what exactly triggers each line of dialogue, and I tested certain things too. The only thing that triggers those "healing" dialogues are powers classified as healing boost powers. Drain heals do not trigger them. Thus, going by the 90's database, Strange would never say his healing lines, and I redded them out to save myself some time. I think it's weird that drain spells don't trigger those dialogue lines, but hey, less work is less work when you're dealing with 11,000 lines of dialogue.

Once I get to the tweaking stage, if he gets direct healing powers, I would definitely use that bit of dialogue, but I'm hesitant to adjust things on that front until I study the mod more because I'm not sure what the original creator was thinking balance wise, and the game seems fairly balanced as of now.

The way the game works, it's designed very heavily to emulate comic book battles. For instance, if you look objectively at Superman and Batman (DC example, sorry), Superman would win every time. Batman is a smart guy with some gadgets, and Superman is practically a god. Why then, do we see such satisfying fights between Batman and Superman? Simple. Batman is popular. This game breaks the fourth wall and directly brands each character with a popularity, and more popular characters might have the same stats, as less popular characters, but they get more rolls, meaning they perform at their peak most of the time. As characters do stuff, they can become more popular to readers, and therefore, more powerful, and more influential. The game is broken up into issues, like comics. This popularity progression does not preclude learning new skills and advancing stats though. There is still a "normal" RPG under there, where Ironman can tweak his suits and Hawkeye can train vigorously. It's handled very well.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 20, 2014

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
The Deadpool line, "Whoops this isn't Total Extreme Warfare," cracked me up.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Just wanted to throw in my support. This looks really fun, thanks for organizing and putting in work to make this possible, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

I've still been working on this. For the moment I've been focusing exclusively on the S-T category as it is the largest, and keeping focused on one section means I can see visible progress.

• Locked thread