Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yeah, it was a bad angle for that one. The camera's pretty decent for the most part, though you can't really change anything besides a slight zoom in/out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, it was a bad angle for that one. The camera's pretty decent for the most part, though you can't really change anything besides a slight zoom in/out.

Bad angle? for that brat it was a perfect angle.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Mega64 posted:

That was a BRILLIANT ANGLE. I loved it because I saw it and immediately started cracking up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 16 - Fisherman (Summer 26 - 30)

Music: Summer Theme

There's a note for doing this, plus this is one of the requirements toward unlocking the secret ending.

Anyway, we're starting the day off with a random Ray visit.

I brought some Amago. These are difficult to catch. No, I'm not bragging.

Well then, see you.

Hey, free fish is nice.

38. Fisherman Note

Caught up in a life where fishing is everything. A little bit shy around girls, but if it's about fishing, he's your man.

Looks like we got Ray up to the necessary threshold to get his note, so that's nice. This is the only note we're getting this update.

But hey, free stamina boost and all that.

Uh, thanks.

Livestock still doing well!

Corn, cocoa, and onions ready! More money, as always.

And there's still enough time to plant one last batch of onions.

I also find some blueberries next to my corn, which is nice.

OK.

I didn't notice I had more mail. Don't know why it all came today, but whatever.

Louis hangs around here on the weekends, which is good since it'll be awhile until I can get enough rare ore to have him move in proper.

The rest of summer is dedicated partially to giving gifts to people so I can start making friends and unlocking stuff. I've been too busy mining and fishing to really bother until now. I'm even using all my chicken eggs as gifts rather than shipping a couple.

He should always be at the counter.

Please don't bother me right now.

Some of this dialogue I probably haven't shown off yet.

Dia loves blueberries, so that's a nice friendship boost right there.

The rest of this day is spent plucking weeds. Summer's winding down, and I want to start preparing for the next batch of crops for autumn.

The next day, I wake up and find Shemp has matured! Larry and Bad Horse are still young, but now I can actually use Shemp to ship wool. I hold off for a couple days though, and you'll see why shortly.

No new crops today.

Since Shemp's grown and Larry's close, I buy the milker and clippers. This is how you get milk/wool from your animals.

Also picked up my Silver Hoe, which lets me plow four spaces in front of me. Handy!

Jamie's still Jamie.

While trying to give Duke an egg, I accidentally gave it to Gwen, who I had just given an egg. Only one gift a day will raise a person's affection, which prevents stuff like being able to get Eve to fall in love with you immediately in the first night of the SNES version. She still could've given me the egg back, at least.

The next few days are spent plowing every spot of the river property. This will let me better plan out how I'm going to space my crops out.

I go out and buy a carrot for Henry, as his note requires a lot of hearts from him, and he loves carrots.

And that's a day!

Hey, a livestock festival I can actually enter! Granted, Shemp's not going to win since I haven't had time to grind affection for her, but still.

Bad Horse accidentally walked down to the beach and can't get up, so I have to manually feed him.

Just corn today, but corn's still worth a ton.

to raise lots of horses!

It's good to dream.

I do a bit of mining, looking for silver ore to upgrade my hammer with. No luck, though.

Also, Jamie's not good at naming his dog.

More digging, more pocket change.

Alright, two days of summer to go!

Not ours. You need a lot of hearts to really have a chance to win.

Onions and tomatoes are ready.

With no one around during festivals, I just dig some more before I'm ready to watch my sheep lose.

Music: Festival

Hey, Dr Science!, Glad you're here. Are you going to enter your sheep?

Why not?

Note your sheep must have wool to enter, which is why I haven't sheared Shemp yet.

They always run around in those flocks.

This festival's pretty barren. Only Hank, Jamie, Martha, and Bob are here.

Why don't you just go home now?

And of course Jamie's never that great a conversationalist.

The sheep that make the wool aren't too bad, either.

Taking care of sheep with lots of love leads to shearing high quality wool.

More hearts = Better quality. Three grades of eggs, milk, and wool.

Big surprise.

Then we'll conclude this year's Sheep Festival! Raise a winner for next year's festival. We hope to see you there! Good bye.

And that's that. On to the last day of summer!

Music: Summer Theme

You may not be a winner, but you're still profitable!

Last day of the season means it's time to cut down my crops to make room for the new batch.

I also get to harvest those middle crops for once, and make one last profit on corn and cocoa. I'll miss you, corn!

There's still a lot of regular soil in my land, mainly the stuff near the eastern side next to the pathway. Luckily, fertilizer will make it fertile and make my crops twice as lucrative. This stuff pays for itself!

Just like seeds, it goes in the center of a 3x3 square.

eggs and milk.

I also shear Shemp. This dirty wool's worth 900 gold, but it takes a week or so to grow wool compared to a cow giving milk everyday.

There's also a note for shipping ten loads of wool or something, which will take awhile to get.

With no more land to hoe, I spend up the last of my stamina chopping up some grass. You can never have too much fodder (until you hit 999, then you have too much).

And that's summer! Ending at 38 notes, with probably around 70k gold (since this save doesn't factor in today's profits). I'll start spending all this once I get the 100k note, most of which will go to gifts (to get notes) and other note-fulfilling factors.

Next time, Autumn! We maybe meet the last villager and bachelorette, too!

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Mega64 posted:

He should always be at the counter.

I missed the "an" while reading this and thought Kurt was making a pun.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So a magic potion will make your animals pregnant? Well, I guess artificial insemination is cost effective?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Harvest Moon as a series tries really hard to dance around the issue of where babies come from, which is pretty funny for a game in which you can have a child with your spouse and raise baby animals. :v: Still, E ratings and all. The only game that I think actually addresses the fact that males are kinda needed in the process is A Wonderful Life, where you can get Roosters / Bulls instead to get baby animals.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
There's also the third gameboy Harvest Moon, where all the animals have different sexes. It was kind of annoying, really.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Sydin posted:

Harvest Moon as a series tries really hard to dance around the issue of where babies come from, which is pretty funny for a game in which you can have a child with your spouse and raise baby animals. :v: Still, E ratings and all. The only game that I think actually addresses the fact that males are kinda needed in the process is A Wonderful Life, where you can get Roosters / Bulls instead to get baby animals.

God I remember when I accidentally milked a Bull in A Wonderful Life, I about died laughing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Intermission - Love Connection

It's been two seasons now, and boy have we worked our butts off! Now that the farm's successful, it's time we find a person to settle down with. Luckily, there's plenty of handsome young bachelors to choose from!

Now I'm going to give you guys probably the biggest decision in this Let's Play: Which bachelor should we marry and raise a child with? Marriage unlocks a couple notes, which is really the only reason I'm not including "Don't get married" since I'm still aiming for 100 notes. I'm aiming for a Spring wedding since that'll give me time to fulfill the requirements for the secret ending and also make sure I can get every note before two years are up (the game goes on forever, but if I can get everything done in two, why not?). I'm also gonna do two votes, one with all ten bachelors and then one with the top three-ish (or two or four depending on how the votes are spread).

Before we get to the vote, let's check out our potential bachelors! Wiki bios come from the Harvest Moon Wiki. In alphabetical order:

Alex

Birthday: Spring 30
Rival: Gina
Favorite Things: Spinach, Turnips, Veggie Dishes, Grilled Fish
Other Games: None, though he's inspired by the Doctor from Back to Nature

Wiki Bio: Alex is a caring, sweet, and generally down-to-earth kind of guy. He is appreciative of people who try and work hard, but also has a soft spot for more gentle personalities, which brings out his inner need to care for the people around them. Ironically, he is sometimes so caught up with his work and taking care of others, that he sometimes forgets to take care of himself.

My Bio: Alex is a doctor who's obsessed with his job. I never see him talk about anything besides health and telling others to be healthy. Kind of one-note, but it's still a good one-note to have. Plus, hey, he's a doctor.

Basil

Birthday: Spring 16
Rival: Nina
Favorite Things: Certain crops, Pontata Roots, Red Herbs, Blue Mist Flowers
Other Games: Harvest Moon 64, Back to Nature

Wiki Bio: Basil is a traveling botanist, who can be found exploring the village in every season of the year except for Winter. He's very passionate about nature, particularly plants, and has a very positive and assertive attitude. He will leave every Winter, and will return in the Spring. He is very passionate about his work. If you're married to Basil, he will stay all year long.

My Bio: Basil likes plants. By marrying him, he'll settle down and stop wandering around if you're in to that. Loves pontata roots, which are easy to get, so at least he's easy to please. He likes plants.

Blue

Birthday: Winter 20
Rival: Ann
Favorite Things: Eggplants, Animal Products, Amethyst, some soups
Other Games: None, though he's inspired by Gray from Harvest Moon 64 and Back to Nature.

Wiki Bio: He resembles Gray from previous Harvest Moon games, but the two are not considered related in any way. Blue is a curt, standoffish farmer who works with animals, and requires time to warm up to the player. He is very quiet, but knows all that there is to know when it comes to raising animals. During the day, Blue is working hard at Blue Sky Ranch. During the evenings, he visits the Moonlight Cafe.

My Bio: Blue's thing is animals. He also has a second trait in being the most anti-social bachelor of the bunch, which may be a plus for you guys. Also easy to please once you have your livestock giving good products.

Bob

Birthday: Summer 1
Rival: Gwen
Favorite Things: Spinach, High-Quality Eggs and Wool, Topaz, certain cakes
Other Games: Save the Homeland, Hero of Leaf Valley

Wiki Bio: Bob handles any shipments you make with the shipping box, and will introduce himself on the second day of Spring. He also helps at Blue Sky Ranch, and loves animals. He's goodnatured, a little comical, and is always positive.

My Bio: A lunkhead, but in a good way. One of the few characters in general who doesn't seem to be defined solely by one characteristic, though he does like animals. Early goon favorite.

Carl

Birthday: Fall 16
Rival: Ellen
Favorite Things: Yams, Apples, HQ Eggs/Milk, Aquamarines, some pies
Other Games: None, though he's a bit like Jeff from Harvest Moon 64. Don't remember Jeff? Neither do I.

Wiki Bio: Carl is sweet and cute at a first glance, but he's also very determined. After your first initial meeting, he'll be working his hardest at the Moonlight Café Bar, in hopes of opening up his own café to sell his amazing sweets. After a month of working at the Moonlight Cafe, Carl will open up his own café that he always dreamed of. It will be a sort of sweets shop, where Carl will sell a variety of sweets, tea, and milk. He will employ Katie as his waitress.

My Bio: Spoilers, he opens his cafe in Autumn. Sweet guy who has a dream and actually achieves it. Business owner. He likes baking and owning businesses and probably little else because Harvest Moon.

Dan

Birthday: Summer 26
Rival: Eve
Loves: Strawberries, Grapes, Rubies, Clams, "Sodas."
Other Games: None, though he's inspired by Kai from Harvest Moon 64 and Back to Nature.

Wiki Bio: He is a happy-go-lucky drifter who likes drinking, gambling, and flirting. Gambling is what lands him in the village, after he loses all his money from betting on a horse race against Ronald. After his gambling loss, Dan will be stuck in the village with no real place to stay. Planting any kind of fruit bearing tree will later trigger a scene with Ronald, which will lead to to the opening on the Paradise Orchard where Dan will work. If the player gets to know him, he reveals that he has a burning desire to better himself as a person, and shows strong determination in doing so.

My Bio: Probably one of the more interesting characters simply by virtue of being kind of a jerk. Doesn't seem as much of a ladies' man as the game likes to suggest. A lazy man you can change apparently, if you're into that.

Joe

Birthday: Summer 10
Rival: Katie
Loves: Turnips, Corn, Diamonds, Seafood Dishes

Wiki Bio: Joe is a nice, cheerful, and slightly immature kind of guy and is the complete polar-opposite of his brother Kurt. He is appreciative of fun people, but has his ways of talking to those who are more shy like his brother. He's very open about his desires, one of which includes being a great fisherman, which he has the complete wrong personality for. If you get to know him more, you'll find he has a strong disliking of rainy weather, which he becomes fussy and sullen in.

My Bio: Probably the closest to a normal human being anyone in this game gets. Doesn't really even have a note to even be one-note with. Likes fishing. Pretty friendly and easy-going guy.

Kurt

Birthday: Winter 10
Rival: Dia
Loves: Blue Mist Flower, Emeralds, Tomato dishes

Wiki Bio: Kurt is a sweet, awkward, and surprising kind of guy and is the complete polar-opposite of his brother Joe. He is appreciative of and has a soft spot for quiet and sweet people like him. Initially, Kurt will push you away with his blunt and sometimes rude responses, but with time and effort you can open up his sensitive side.

My Bio: Another antisocial guy you can have open up for you. Again, don't know what his one-note quality is besides being a jerk. Nothing else to really talk about here.

Louis

Birthday: Fall 2
Rival: Lila
Loves: Bell Peppers, HQ Eggs, Rare Ores, Sapphires, Moonstones, Egg dishes

Wiki Bio: Louis initially came to the village because of his liking for fireworks, and the player will meet him at the Fireworks Festival. He will later move in to the Junk Shop, after it gets it's extension. He comes off as blundering and awkward, and a little shy, but he's also very nice. Like Ann, he loves mining and inventions.

My Bio: He always moves in so late that I never really get to know him. Probably likes science. Probably the most goony of the bunch as well. Seems well-adjusted enough, and again, science.

Ray

Birthday: Fall 27
Rival: Maria
Loves: Onions, HQ Eggs, Huchen king fish, Fish dishes
Other Games: Sunshine Islands

Wiki Bio: Ray is a shy and solitary wandering fisherman. He is happy to talk to you about fishing, but will say little about himself until you befriend him. He has a weekly program on the Variety Channel, and gives information about where the King Fish can be located. Ray will also give you a free copper fishing rod if you catch enough fish with your Iron Fishing Rod. Not much is known about his past.

My Bio: Fish fish fish fish fish. Fish fish fish, fish fish fish. Fish fish.

:siren: VOTE HERE FOR WHICH BACHELOR YOU WANT DR SCIENCE! TO BE WITH :siren:

I'll let voting go on a couple days, then I'll do a second poll with the finalists. With your help, Dr Science! will find her dream man.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can't believe people are voting for this Louis fellow over Dr Science's real love, Bob :cry:

Edit: Wait, only 5 votes for Louis and 3 votes for Bob, maybe my whining is a bit premature.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
No matter who she marries, I really want to see what exactly happens when Dr Science! has a baby. Does she ever become visibly pregnant? How does she still continue to work? So many questions.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Screw Louis the rival scientist! Bob is still the one and only hunk/hired muscle for Dr Science ;-*

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Mehuyael posted:

No matter who she marries, I really want to see what exactly happens when Dr Science! has a baby. Does she ever become visibly pregnant? How does she still continue to work? So many questions.

They never show the female protagonist pregnant, and yes she still does all the work while her husband dicks around.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

They never show the female protagonist pregnant, and yes she still does all the work while her husband dicks around.

So just one day there's suddenly a baby? Man... I can understand why it's done in gameplay terms (don't want to have the player miss work for a while because of pregnancy), but it's kind of a bummer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Robindaybird posted:

Which is pretty terrible if you think about it. Though it does bring to mind a great Awkward Zombie comic:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Anyone who doesn't vote for Bob is just jealous of his table hair.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I don't know about this game, but I think in some games when you become pregnant you have less stamina than normal.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I can't believe people are voting for Louis, we don't even know that guy, Bob's been always there for us :colbert:.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can you actually make dyes and dye wool, or is that just flavor text?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Glazius posted:

Can you actually make dyes and dye wool, or is that just flavor text?

Not sure about wool, but I know you can dye yarn. In fact, there's a note for doing it! To do so, we need a dye pot, a herb of the color we want to dye, and yarn.

I don't think the yarn's color actually matters though outside of some maybe giving more money.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Why would you vote for Louis. Redundancy is inefficient. Dr. Science! already brings the necessary science to the table. We need someone large who can lift heavy things and looks like Frankenstein's Monster. Vote Bob. Large. Lifting. Monster. Right for Dr. Science!. Right for America.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Bob seems to be of good breeding stock but just dumb enough to not understand or question our SCIENCE plans.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Bob may not be a scientist, but he can give Dr. Science new heights for her seek of knowledge!

(This took longer than I'm willing to admit).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Adnor posted:

Bob may not be a scientist, but he can give Dr. Science new heights for her seek of knowledge!

Doesn't look like she has any evil plans for the bird, lame.

(this is great)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Adnor posted:

You are a wonderful person.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Adnor posted:

This is fantastic!

e: Also, since it's basically a two-horse race, let's jump to the final poll.

:siren::siren::siren: BOB OR LOUIS? :siren::siren::siren:

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 9, 2014

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
gently caress Bob. Voted one.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Bob's a bro. I don't mind him at all. However, if Louis somehow wins, I wouldn't mind either. He's pretty laid back.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Reason to vote for Bob.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

Our farmer's name isn't Alice. :colbert:

Probably a futile vote, but I vote Louis. Goony Dr. needs goony husband.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RainbowCake posted:

Probably a futile vote, but I vote Louis. Goony Dr. needs goony husband.

Well if we were male we would marry Alice, duh.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

RainbowCake posted:

How do you know her full name isn't Alice Science? :colbert:
Alice + Bob for life!

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

Poulpe posted:

How do you know her full name isn't Alice Science? :colbert:
Alice + Bob for life!

That's a good point!
I still want Louis

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Welp, my first choice of fish fish fish, fish. Fish fish? Fish, fish fish. Ray fell through, so I'm going with the lovable tablehead. Bob's a fine complement of muscle to our science-brains. (Also, we'll never want for a flat surface as long as we can reach his head.)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

SatansOnion posted:

(Also, we'll never want for a flat surface as long as we can reach his head.)
So, basically never.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
More crossbeam befriending! :3:

Also, I was sold on Bob once before, and I'm not changing my loyalty just 'cause the new guy's goony.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
I think Bob has this one in the bag, or at least in the shipping container.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
I voted Bob. Brains & Brawn and all that. Plus he can fulfill his dream of owning a ranch earlier than expected! Even though technically it will be his wife who owns the ranch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm of the opinion that Ray is the only real choice when it comes to bachelors, but given the options, I guess Bob is probably the lesser of two evils. :smith:

• Locked thread