Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maekrix Waere
Jul 10, 2010

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I'm of the opinion that Ray is the only real choice when it comes to bachelors, but given the options, I guess Bob is probably the lesser of two evils. :smith:

Though, let's be honest here, when has Dr. Science ever chosen the lesser of two evils?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
With 55% of the vote, Bob is our future husband to be! Don't video games make the art of romance so much simpler?

Anyway, once I can take a break from FFXIV and work, I'll work on that next update.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Does the bachelor affect the baby in some way? I hope we'll get a muscleman baby.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Don't think so. I don't even if know if your character's gender affects the baby, as I think it's the same kid either way.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 17 - Sun (Fall 1 - 4)

So Bob won the vote, which means we'll eventually be settling down with him. In the meantime, let's enjoy the single life a little longer, shall we?

Music: Fall Theme

New season means new music! Enjoy the nice, relaxing fall theme.

Now switch over to the Sprites Theme because we're running into them now.

Music: Harvest Sprites Theme

Dr Science!! How's it going?

We're gonna teach you, yeah!
Put milk and mushrooms into a pot and slowly simmer for a bit!

It makes a tasty mushroom soup, yeah!

Sounds like a nice and cheap way to really boost stamina, since mushrooms are pretty easy to find and milk's simple to get once you have a mature cow.

Now as many festivals this month, though surely the ones we do have will be more interesting. Maybe.

Autumn 1 is when Carl gets to open his cafe, so there's that.

Can't visit or buy seeds until 9AM, of course, so might as well tend our livestock as usual.

And hey, Larry and Bad Horse have grown up! Now Larry can give us milk on a daily basis, though she doesn't want to do so today.

As for Bad Horse, we can ride it! To ride a horse, it must be mature, have two hearts, and be outside. You should pretty much always ride a horse since it's a faster way to travel than walking, plus the more you ride, the more you build up its stamina (represented by stars in the menu) so that it will perform better in horse races.

There's a lot of variety in seeds this season. Not listed is Spinach.

A good reason to clear weeds is to make room for foraging stuff. It seems like most tiles on land you can own (whether you actually own it or not is irrelevant) have a chance of spawning items. Of course, if half those tiles are covered with weeds, that kinda reduces the items you'll see pop up. It's also why you want to clear out weeds when chopping trees or stumps, so that more logs will spawn after they're chopped.

I bought one bag of each type of seed, since we want to ship one of each type of crop. Peppers, Eggplants, and Yams are regrowable, and Yams give the same money regardless of soil quality, like Tomatoes and Potatoes. Eggplants are the best in terms of making money, though they're certainly no Corn. Some of these are kinda head-scratchers, like Spinach having the exact same growth time as Carrots yet selling for slightly more. Of course, a lot of these make for great gifts, especially Carrots for Henry (who requires a lot of hearts to get his special note) and Spinach for Bob. I'll probably grow carrots just for Henry since he's difficult to make happy.

Chickens still doing fine. Still using their eggs just as gifts, since many people like eggs and they're so simple to get and give out.

Also, the inn and bar have been remodeled after one season, which is kinda neat.

Doesn't really change much, but hey, more room to wander around in.

So let's check out the new café, shall we?

Music: Encounter Theme

Welcome! Our specialties are our aromatic herb teas and our freshly baked cakes! Once you taste them you'll be totally hooked!
No, I haven't come to eat!

The cake tastes very good! It's a perfect snack!

I'm not a customer. I'd like to work here! Weren't you the one that put out the flyer asking for staff members?
Huh? Staff members... How old are you, by the way?

Well, I guess it's ok. People always say I look young, too. I could surely use the help...

I'm Carl. And this is Dr Science!. Dr Science!'s gonna be a regular!

Great! I'm Katie. Nice to meet you!

Katie is the last character we'll meet (though we still have an open spot in our friends list for some reason). She's from Save the Homeland, where she also served as a waitress at a café. She's also the final eligible bachelorette if you're playing as a boy.

But I didn't have enough money so I'm saving up for it.

Uh, that's great.

So you can buy sweets and teas here. Some of this probably helps with fatigue too, which determines how tired you are and affects how quickly you lose stamina.

Jamie, same as always.

Here's the new bar. Same people except Carl, who's no longer working there.

I spend the rest of the day fishing at the river. No new fish in this area, but they're always good for stamina boosts.

I also decide to start actually feeding my pets. Why not?

I then whistle like ten times since there's a note for it. And that's it for the first day of autumn!

Start the day off as usual, picking up Oppenheimer and Ganon.

39. Bow-Wow Note

Filled with affection for your trusted companion. Your dog is your best friend. A note for being friends forever!

Getting your dog to three hearts nets you this note. Sadly, this is the only use your dog has.

There's also a note associated with the pig, but it's a lot more annoying than getting three hearts. More on that in a bit.

Sweets are good when you're tired!

Katie's already up pretty early, and despite the café not even being open yet, she's already trying to sell us on their products. She's probably a better businessperson than Carl.

Our first batch of milk! Gonna ship it until I get the note, then I'll knock up the cow for another note and to fulfill a requirement for the secret ending.

Grape tree dropped some grapes, which is nice.

I want to relocate my house to be closer to the barn, making it easier to manage my animals and giving me easy and convenient access to my horse, but one of my trees blocks the way.

It'll take a few days before the first batch of crops are ready for harvest.

There are times when I wonder if I should take over for him.

Four-heart Bob convo.

I think this one's new, not sure.

A shame I have to chop this tree down, but I really want my house here. At least I get five lumber from it.

I then spend some time fishing at the island. Since it's fall, there's new fish around.

The island gets me Mackerels and Sardines, which aren't that great. Salmon are found in the river delta, and are pretty decent as far as fish go.

Time for another day!

Progressing nicely, though I wonder why certain squares skip a day of growth sometimes.

So today I get my livestock out of the way early and set out to harvest, as there's another kinda-annoying note I figured I'd get out of the way today.

Chestnuts show up in autumn, so there's that.

40. Sun Note

When you run around in the sun you feel your strength flowing through you. A bright and cheerful rhythm.

Staying out in the sun for ten-ish hours gets you this note. That's all the the "Stay outside for X hours" ones until Winter.

Forty notes also means another instrument.

Also, animals are starting to show up to this thing, including the mole we keep whacking.

More friendships developing! Isn't it nice to have friends?

Fall 4. Rain tomorrow.

I've got a whole seven images for this day, so it's not really that eventful.

I like the idea of living life in a way that goes with the natural flow.

Two of those images are Dan explaining his unique interpretation of science.

And another is a status update on our chickens. Hopefully Robotnik will get very high in affection before the end of winter.

So to get the pig note, we have to find a truffle. The pig's supposed to help with that, but it doesn't seem to do a good job at it. Then again, maybe it'd work better if it had higher affection for us.

The idea is to dig the 5x5 square surrounding Mora Trees, which I think are these. Hopefully one of these squares is a truffle, which will get you a note. These things are only found in Fall, which is why I'm starting early on hunting them.

No luck today, though. Overall, a short and dullish day.

So next time, we'll get back into the routine of things, making money hand-over-fist as we continue our quest to fulfill a bunch of achievements through farming and stuff.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
:science: Katie is involved with Saving the Homeland by baking a super delicious cake and winning a contest. She sort of relies on you for the recipe and ingredients though. Hers was actually the first ending I got, so good times. She lied about her age in that game too.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Man, that Fall theme is sure chill. Makes me imagine a relaxing day on the porch, just lazing about and looking up at the sky.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Digging for truffles sounds like an interesting little activity.

I guess the sprites give you the mushroom soup recipe because mushrooms start showing up in fall?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Mega64 posted:

So to get the pig note, we have to find a truffle. The pig's supposed to help with that, but it doesn't seem to do a good job at it. Then again, maybe it'd work better if it had higher affection for us.
Oh, so this is what Ganon is up to. Do truffles have any use besides getting you a note? Can you sell them? Eat them?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Glazius posted:

Digging for truffles sounds like an interesting little activity.

I guess the sprites give you the mushroom soup recipe because mushrooms start showing up in fall?

Mushrooms are around year-round besides maybe winter. I guess it's just a small reward for making it to fall.

ArchWizard posted:

Oh, so this is what Ganon is up to. Do truffles have any use besides getting you a note? Can you sell them? Eat them?

They sell for 1000G. The problem is apparently one truffle will spawn per day, and with so many Mora Trees around, it can be painful to find.

It seems one popular strategy is to chop down all but one Mora Tree and exploit that. It also makes sense because you can replace them all with much more useful fruit trees. I may end up doing that for next year after I buy all the land available (because what else am I gonna spend money on?) so people don't hate me so much for chopping trees down. Not sure yet.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Mega64 posted:

It seems one popular strategy is to chop down all but one Mora Tree and exploit that. It also makes sense because you can replace them all with much more useful fruit trees. I may end up doing that for next year after I buy all the land available (because what else am I gonna spend money on?) so people don't hate me so much for chopping trees down. Not sure yet.

Does chopping down trees make people dislike you more? Does that have any special effects, like unique conversations or stuff? Or does it just subtract from the friendship/love meters?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chopping down trees on public property will lower the entire town's affection for you by a tiny bit. As far as I know, I don't think you can have people hate you, though I've never really tried. I imagine you can't go any lower than your starting level with a person, and I don't think there's any special dialogue.

On the other hand, growing a tree in public property will raise the town's affection for you slightly. And they don't care if you do it on your own property.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 18 - Lost Child (Fall 5 - 8)

Let's pretend that I still update at a semi-regular pace while we go through this rainy day. At least we don't have to water crops today!

is it that I get depressed?

Bob's a sensitive soul.

Today's crops are spinach and carrots. I save most of the carrots for Henry because he needs a lot of hearts for his note and he loves those. Bob loves Spinach, but he's also much easier to please.

Here's more rain quotes. The Gourmet lives in the inn during the fall season. This is the first game he actually shows up outside of festivals.

With more free time, I do some gathering and fishing. More gifts for people!

Pretty slow day unless you really like listening to people talk about rain. Let's get to a day with more sunshine, shall we?

The start of a lot of days going forth will involve giving Henry a carrot.

Some one-heart dialogue.

Eggplants and bell peppers are ready today.

Bob has dreams of becoming a rancher, yet wonders if he should take over the family business.

This makes him one of the most complex characters in the game by default.

Slowly making more and more friends. It's a good feeling, or at least would be if they weren't a bunch of code.

The books change out when it hits Autumn. Reading them all gets another note, but I can hold off on that for now. I'll probably hit the 50 needed for the ending before the end of Autumn anyway.

Anyway, let's read about fish.

A hint to finding the fourth king we need. We can't access this until winter, though.

You might learn a thing or two.

Pretty good advice in general, really. You can learn recipes and gameplay mechanics from people.

Caught a couple more fish to round out my fishing log. Goal is to catch every one for the note.

There's another fish here, but I don't get it. Salmon are still a nice grab since they give decent money and, I believe, stamina.

To the next day!

Two days until the Moon Festival, another opportunity for romance.

Larry's wool has grown back! Time to snip it away again.

Her wool's better quality now, netting me a nice chunk of change.

41. Calling Animals Note

The sound of the bell to call the animals. A gentle note that echoes throughout the village.

Ringing your bell enough times, twenty or fifty or something, gets you this note. You'll probably get it if you bother putting your animals inside/outside.

Today is yams.

it's not being used anyway!

That is a very, very, very good point considering how expensive land is. Not that I really have much use for more land right now.

Grass doesn't grow in winter, so it's still a good idea to chop it to stockpile for later. While you can buy fodder, it's 30g a piece, so much cheaper to get your own. Plus my field's too big for my animals to eat it all anyway.

The Blue Mist Flower only grows in Autumn, and it's much rarer than the other flowers. You can't grow them yourself.

They're also worth 500G, which is nice.

42. Full Bloom Flowers Note

You've grown all the flowers and the herbs. A note for a green thumb.

Shipping every type of herb and flower gets this note. Blue Mist is kind of a pain to find, but it worked out.

I technically get this note on Fall 8 since I stay up so late, so I better get some sleep now!

We actually won't be doing this one this update.

Lots of stuff today! Eggplants, yams, green peppers,

And pumpkins! We want to keep one since there's a festival involving pumpkins.

Our first Special produce! Special are the highest grade of produce, obviously giving more money and garnering more affection from people in general.

sure enough, one's hometown is indeed nice.

I get both Meryl and Tim to two hearts today, which is pretty good.

I decide to give Ellen an egg because why not, and

Each character has a birthday. Giving them presents on their birthday will give a nice affection boost, plus makes you feel good inside.

Of course, I give Bob the special egg.

I had a couple oranges and a mixer just lying around, so why not?

I also catch the other Fall fish in the delta, the lobster. Well, not really a fish, but neither is a boot, and that doesn't stop the game from considering a boot a king fish.

I've caught all the Fall-exclusive fish, but there's a couple of year-round ones that are pretty rare. No luck with those, and staying up late has made me tired.

I also want to get Jamie higher on affection since having him at a lot of hearts is a condition for the secret ending.

Anyway, it's been a long day, and I'm tired, so it's time to get some sleep.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

Science, away!

He--ey! Are you there?

Tim! Why don't you answer?

I caught a glimpse of the children over by the Starry Hill, yeah!

The children are being accosted by jerk Jamie's jerk dog with the nonsense name.

Waaah!

Tim!

Music: Encounter Theme

But I thought that Meryl would cry so I shouldn't. I held it in.

Hey, thanks for your hard work! I'm sorry to have kept you so late.

43. Lost Child Note

A note praising the courage shown in helping frightened children. You're a hero!

Getting both Meryl and Tim to two hearts unlocks this scene, and ultimately gets us another note. By befriending the children, we risked them getting mauled by a dog. It feels good to make friends!

Next time, romance and, uh, more farming. Maybe it won't take me two weeks to update?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Jamie is a jerk. He should keep an eye on his dog!

Looking forward to the moon festival.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
...That's kinda messed up.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
Yay, an update!

You're wrong about the gourmet, though. If you won the vegetable festival in HM64, he'd start randomly appearing in the village's crossroads. There wasn't much to do with him there, but he showed up on non-festival days.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

So Dr Science! saved those kids by headbutting the dog's butt?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mehuyael posted:

So Dr Science! saved those kids by headbutting the dog's butt?

She just scares the dog away, but I liked the image looking like she headbutted it, so that's canon now.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Mega64 posted:

Bob has dreams of becoming a rancher, yet wonders if he should take over the family business.

This makes him one of the most complex characters in the game by default.
I knew he was the best choice! Such depth to his character!

Also, saving the kids was adorable and Jamie's a big jerkface for sending his dog after the kids :colbert:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It was pretty adorable saving the kids. Ah, young love.

Looking forward to further fishventures.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
I'm really enjoying the lp so far. Don't disappear, Mega64!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Kinda burned out right now in terms of LPing, but I don't intend to abandon the LP. Just gonna take longer breaks between updates is all.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That's how it starts :tinfoil:

Seriously though, good to see this is still updating. How many fish do you have left to get?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Mega64 posted:

Kinda burned out right now in terms of LPing, but I don't intend to abandon the LP. Just gonna take longer breaks between updates is all.

Good to hear. Don't feel rushed by me; take all the time you want.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

paragon1 posted:

That's how it starts :tinfoil:

Seriously though, good to see this is still updating. How many fish do you have left to get?

Six, including the last king and the left boot (which apparently I need ten of to get another note, so it's kind of worrying that I haven't caught one yet). Excluding the boot, there's two more fish I can catch this season, though they're both kinda rare and available year-round anyway.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Totally got my GameCube dug out, so I'm definitely gonna bust this out this weekend. True story.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I was digging through a box of my old stuff and I actually found this gsme. I don't even remember owning it. Now I just need a game cube to play it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Starts vibrant with a young new person, only for the people to slowly drift away until the young person leaves it all behind?

More like a farming simulator than I thought.

• Locked thread