Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I'm not creative enough to come up with my own name so I'll use my vote on Mrs. Dr. Science.

While this game has a few problems, and I hate the art style, I still really like it overall and it was a real breath of fresh air after the tragedy that was A Wonderful Life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I'll vote for male Dr. Science.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I'd have to go with Male Dr. Science!

Its just too good.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to switch my vote to Female Dr. Science! because I want to see the Boyz.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Given that I spent about five minutes on my suggestion, I'm going to vote for not having to commit to a mad scientist gimmick for the length of your LP.

I mean you're welcome to take it, but seriously. Five minute suggestion, several-month LP. You decide.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

FactsAreUseless posted:

Given that I spent about five minutes on my suggestion, I'm going to vote for not having to commit to a mad scientist gimmick for the length of your LP.

I mean you're welcome to take it, but seriously. Five minute suggestion, several-month LP. You decide.

Going with this.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Yeah I change my vote to "not dumb gimmick".

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Who said anything about a mad science gimmick? Dr. Science!'s parents could have just been really, really dumb and stuck the poor kid with a name, thinking it would make their newborn smart or something. In order to avoid confusion, he/she goes by "Bob" but unfortunately the real name's on all the paperwork, leading to having to explain over and over again.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Name: Marie Curie (or just Marie, whatever.)
Sex: Female
Ranch Name: The Château
Dog Name: Oppenheimer
Birth Season: Summer

gently caress naming things Dr. Science when you can name them after real scientists.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I have but one silly vote to give: our ranch is Rancho Relaxo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Any gimmick suggested will probably be treated like Stalin in my FF3 LP, i.e. a few jokes here and there referring to the gimmick but mostly playing straight otherwise. This isn't a narrative like my last HM attempt, so feel free to be silly with your suggestions.

I'll leave suggestions open for a little bit longer while I figure out how I'm going to compile these into polls, or decide to just go with what's currently most popular (though if I do that, I'd still put Dr. Science's gender to a vote).

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

life_source posted:

Name: Troy
Ranch Name: Misery
Dog Name: Beer
Birth Season: Winter
Bio (Optional): Never forget.

Absolutely this.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I can't think of anything apart from naming the dog Cat.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Name: Dr. Science! (With the punctuation, it's 12 characters)

Ranch Name: Lab No. 003

Dog Name: Oppenheimer

Birth Season: Summer
I'm for this. Female Dr. Science, but don't push yourself to do the whole "SCIENCE!!!!11!11one" schtick. Have fun with it, and give her whatever personality you want.

Malmomo
Jan 18, 2014
I'm down for whatever so long as you play a lady farmer.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm voting for a male farmer because I actually did play Save the Homeland and you never got to romance those ladies. I think that was the only Harvest Moon without marriage? Assuming I can remember enough about it to recognize the characters I might chip in with a "here's how you saved the homeland!" Or maybe not.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Ah Harvest Moon been a while since I play one of these amazing games. Going along with the Dr. Science name, the farmer should be Male and be called Bill Nye because SCIENCE!!!!!

...... Also the dog should be called Nic Cage.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Any gimmick suggested will probably be treated like Stalin in my FF3 LP, i.e. a few jokes here and there referring to the gimmick but mostly playing straight otherwise. This isn't a narrative like my last HM attempt, so feel free to be silly with your suggestions.
This is a good plan. I just hoped posting mine would inspire more people to post interesting ideas. You know, rather than just quote that one.

sgt turtle
May 2, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm voting for a male farmer because I actually did play Save the Homeland and you never got to romance those ladies. I think that was the only Harvest Moon without marriage? Assuming I can remember enough about it to recognize the characters I might chip in with a "here's how you saved the homeland!" Or maybe not.

I dont think you get to marry in the first gameboy one either.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The first gameboy game also didn't have a proper town or mountain. You selected from five or six areas to buy supplies and stuff like wood and seeds. There weren't any festivals either iirc.

The first GB game was garbage. The farming was spot on with the SNES version so it had that going for it but half the fun is interacting with the little town.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Gonna jump on the Female Dr. Science (without mad science gimmick requirement as desired) bandwagon, I think.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You should call the Ranch Animal House

Coughman
Mar 12, 2010

Communists and Freemasons.
Name: Joan
Dog Name: Trivia Time
Birth Season: Fall

The ranch name is up to the people, but those are my votes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Winter got the most votes, so we'll have a winter birthday. As for the rest, I'm taking everything with more than one vote and adding them to the poll, plus adding a favorite or two to balance things out to six choices.

Vote for our name!

I split Dr. Science between the two genders, and added a couple female names with one vote so there'd be equal representation.

Vote for our dog's name!

Vote for our ranch's name!

I'll leave voting open for a day or so to get some votes, then I'll get to actually playing and showing off the game.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Oh man, I loved Magical Melody so much, but I only got halfway through all of the notes before I got burned out. It was partially because my sister kept making fun of me for not minmaxing my farm and making everything absolutely perfect. I still can't understand why she wanted so much money in the game when you don't need a whole lot to get through it.

Anyway I ended up getting A New Beginning about a half a month ago and since my sister's not breathing down my neck about how to make my farm the most perfect ever, it's been lots of fun. I still look on Magical Melody fondly for the exact same reasons you specified: this game really does have the right amount of everything anyone could want in a Harvest Moon. Achievements and minmaxing for people like my sister, and *tons* of townspeople that you can befriend and get little background story things for people like me.

Looking forward to see what you come up with; this game is tons of fun, and all I hope is that *you* don't get burned out from achievement hunting like I did.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Fortunately, you only need 50 notes for the game to consider you as having beat it, which is also as far as I've really gotten. I'm gonna try to get all one hundred notes, though chances are I'll burn out before then. I'll definitely get 50 and get that ending, at least.

To get all 100, you kinda need a rough idea on which ones to get first, since there are some that are very difficult/annoying to get later on (like starting a day with less than 100 gold).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Female Dr. Science! with her canine companion Oppenheimer are moving to the HiddenValley ranch.

Gonna aim for having an update tomorrow or Saturday.

e: WTF there's no period in the naming screen, that's dumb. Dr Science! it is.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 21, 2014

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Awww no Nic Cage dog :(, well there are always one of the other animals we can obtain. There will be an animal who will say "we're going to farm the Declaration of Independence"..... or not, I really hope there is though......

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So, she's like Dr Pepper.

She's not a real doctor, but she uses the title!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

So, she's like Dr Pepper.

She's not a real doctor, but she uses the title!
People get less squeamish about all the surgical equipment if they think you're a doctor.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chapter 2 - Cooking (Spring 2)

Here's our protagonist.

I'm showing all three pages of the naming screen to demonstrate that there's not a period in any of them. That's nuts considering we have an exclamation mark.

Dr Science! will have to do.

And our ranch is HiddenValley, since we're running away from the stress of research.

Of course, there's the whole "gather musical notes to revive a petrified goddess" thing going at odds with the whole science theme, but hey.

Also, remember Jamie? Jamie was a girl last time, and a boy this time. Not kidding, Jamie's the opposite gender of the one you choose. Though I don't recall whether Jamie's gender is ever referred to in-game.

And with that, we're ready to dig into the game proper.

Music: Spring Theme

Interface. Top-left is date, time, and weather. Top-right give context tips for certain buttons, which I'll get to later. Bottom-right is your stamina. Bottom-left is a character radar, useful if you're looking for certain characters outside.

Your diary is where you save, load, and change settings. You can also rearrange and add/remove furniture here.

You've got four channels, the most important being the weather channel. There's only a minor difference between cloudy and sunny weather.

The weather girl is actually Nami from Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life. We'll meet her later.

Season Channel exists to remind you of upcoming festivals, though your calender can do the same thing. You can see Mayor Theodore on the TV.

Education Channel teaches you basic gameplay tips. The host looks to be Michael, who we'll meet shortly.

Variety tends to be more advanced gameplay tips or goofy stuff. Looks like the guy here might be Tai, who'll show up later.

We start off with a knife set, nice for simple meals. The cooking system in the game is both robust and simple, with plenty of ways to cook and combine ingredients, with most ingredients usually being easy to find (though sometimes at a price).

The tool box starts us off with seven tools. Sickle cuts grass, hoe tills soil to allow you to plant seeds, axe breaks wood, hammer breaks stones, watering can waters seeds/plants, and the fishing rod catches fish. The matches let you start a bonfire, which is another method of cooking.

You'll also notice a level bar in the bottom that will increase as you use it. Of course, stuff like the watering can will level faster than other tools purely due to sheer use.

You can only store tools in the toolbox. Any foods require the refridgerator (which we start with in storage and have to bring out first).

You can also read any books and letters you get.

Pretty much every living creature in the game has an affection meter. For animals, picking them up will gain affection.

There's lots of stuff in the menu. You can look up the affection rates of your pets, farm animals, and the people of the village.

Also, statistics on what items you've shipped, what recipes you have, and other general stuff.

There's also a list of all 100 notes you can get, though of course the game only tells you how to get a note after you get it, though the name can serve as a clue.

There's a ton of different ways to get notes, and though as far as I know you can never get locked out of certain ones, some can be a chore if you're not prepared.

There's also a full map, but Dolphin doesn't show the map background, only the sprites, so I'll probably fiddle with that to see if I can show off the town proper.

The outside area itself is pretty huge. Our river property is small and right in the middle of everything, which means it's a decent walk to get to the mountains (north), lake (southwest), or town (southeast). Then again, the fertile soil and close proximity to fish makes it easily worth it.

There's a variety of wild animals you can pick up, each of them apparently not minding at all if you do so.

Each time you use a tool, you lose stamina. Same with picking stuff up, actually. It's pretty easy to run out of stamina in this game if you're not careful, though it's also quite easy to regain it in this game.

Each log chopped gives one lumber. Stumps require a lot of chops and can give a random amount of logs. Here, I get screwed with just two logs.

Stones take a few hits of the hammer, or you can just toss them into water like I did with this one.

To switch tools, push the C-stick left or right until you find the item you want, then press X to bring it out.

Fishing is very simple in this game. Use the rod to cast out, the fish will almost always go right for the bobble, then once an exclamation point goes above your head hit A to reel it in.

There's a large variety of fish available, some in different spots of course.

Fish are especially useful because you can chop a lot of them into sashimi and restore lots of stamina that way. Quick, cheap, and simple. Fishing is awesome.

Of course, fish sell well too, but they're very convenient for increasing stamina (though you can't eat them raw, at least without chopping them up into raw chunks of sashimi first).

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

2. Cooking Note

Cooking for the first time. A note for appreciating the happiness of cooking by yourself.

Of course, cooking stuff is also a great way to make money and give gifts to people. I love the cooking system of this game.

Characters will show up in various places throughout the day, though they only pop up when you go inside and back outside. If you're outside all day from 6am to 6pm, you'll only see the same people you'd see at 6am. Go in and outside at 8:30am, and you'll see more people out.

Speaking of which, much like other HM games, time freezes when you're indoors. Otherwise, time increases in increments of ten minutes every couple seconds or so.

Finally, you'll only run into characters who you've properly met, i.e. had an introductory cutscene with. Right now, all we'll meet are Theodore, Ellen, and Jamie.

you should ask the shop people.

Dialogue's pretty simple in this game. You'll get a couple generic lines depending on stuff like weather, and also how much the person likes you. Talking to a person regularly will slowly increase how much they like you, starting from 0 hearts up to 10. Of course, giving gifts they like will increase it more quickly, and you'll want to befriend all sorts of townspeople, not just the person you're trying to woo into marriage. For instance, the more Theodore likes you, the more land plots you can buy.

I wouldn't recommend using the pedometer to start with, as you start with only five slots in your rucksack and its only purpose is to give you a note later.

It's a ranch, so it's better to have lots of animals, right!?

Animals are still awhile off, since we'd have to build a place to hold them (and we pretty much need more land since our starting plot's so small).

Let's check out what Jamie's doing.

Music: Jamie's Theme

I don't know what those rascals did to stir you up, but I'm not gonna lose to you! Remember that!

How long you gonna stay there daydreamin'?

Jamie serves as your rival. In the menu, there's a thing that compares how much money you've made in proportion to Jamie. It's supposed to be an incentive to kick his/her butt, but there's no reason not to go whatever pace you want to go.

You'll see all sorts of items lying around, like wild berries and mushrooms. Free money/stamina if you've got the room.

Let's start meeting some new people!

Music: Encounter Theme

Oh, we haven't met, have we?

I see... you came here on the farm business plan. I'd like you to give it your best. I'd be delighted if we could help you out as a tool shop.

Oh, that's right. This...

I love how excited our rancher is everytime she gets a new notebook.

There's been another explosion!

Oh! Are you the ranch owner people have been talking about? Hello!

Ann is another bachelorette who's from the original Harvest Moon. I'm pretty sure her father is also from the original. In both games, she's an inventor who likes to tinker with machines. She's generally the one I marry in the original game.

Whenever there's a spare moment, she's always tinkering with machines, I'm always worried...

wha

I'm working hard to come up with a popular product for our store.

I feel badly for my departed wife...

These cutscenes are usually kinda long at first, and then you just have a bunch of one-liners as you build relationships with people, with occasionally another scene popping up.

The tool shop is where you can buy better tools once you've leveled them up enough, and also furniture and cooking supplies. That Rucksack for 1000G is very useful since it increases our storage space from 5 items to 10, which is huge considering how much stuff you'll usually carry.

Watch your stamina as you get familiar.

When studying things, I think about how rationally and effectively I can work!

I think Ann and we will get along just fine.

Right of the junk store is the town square, where festivals are held. The blue bin is for festivals that require items in advance, like the upcoming Egg Festival.

North of the junk store is the clinic.

I'm Alex. Everyone in the village calls me 'Doctor'. I'm new to this town like you, but I already love it here. You should really stay on top of your health.

That's right, if you find some herbs in the mountains, can you ship them? Unless herbs are at the market, medicine can't be made. I'll be counting on you.

Alex seems to be influenced on the doctor from Back to Nature, though he has a bit more of an actual personality this time. He's also our first potential bachelor.

The shipping herbs thing is a clue, in that shipping lots of herbs will cause more people to move in. The town starts off small, but through some events and also through shipping a lot of certain items, more and more people will move in until the town's a decent size. It's a pretty neat thing to watch unfold.

There's no point in rushing things.

Ain't that the truth.

CAT

You can't actually buy crops on your first day at the farm since the place you buy them from is closed. I think that's pretty clever since it encourages you to explore and meet people instead.

That said, the Workshop's open, so let's check in there.

I see... We're carpenters. We build and remodel. Let us know when you want to build a house or a barn. We'll do it for you. We're usually in our workshop.

Get to know them, okay?

Joe and Kurt are both potential bachelors. Joe's more outgoing and friendly, while Kurt's more of a goonish type.

Apparently, all three of these guys were in Save the Homeland, which I've never played.

Have a goal for everything and think about what you're going to do next.

Tons of things to do here, though we can't really afford to do most of them yet.

Remodel lets us upgrade our house, with the first upgrade being not too bad for 3000G and 40 pieces of lumber.

You can also buy new structures, including additional houses (though all they're useful for is extra shipping bins). You can move, destroy, and rename buildings, buy furniture and lumber, and finally buy new plots of land around the entire area.

I'm going to save her, so.

Each character has a generic second line after you exhaust their one notable line of dialogue. It's usually something generic like "See ya!" or "Don't work too hard!" Jamie's, of course, is perfect Jamie.

If you ever need an extension, leave it to me!

You can mine ores and such here, though it takes a lot of stamina, and it's better to wait until you've got a bigger rucksack to actually hold those ores.

Also I spend all my money on a frying pan because reasons.

Let's go southwest to the lake.

Music: Meeting Terry

My job is to protect the wild animals. A lot of animals need to be protected to keep the mountains well and alive. A young person like you may not understand this, though.

Terry is from the original HM, serving a similar role. He's also Eve's grandfather in both that and this game (though we won't meet Eve for awhile).

Not much to show off right now, though there's a bit to forage and some places to fish.

There's even a wild monkey you can befriend.

Once it gets dark, the music stops. No reason not to still work, though!

There's three grades of quality soil, with the dark brown being the best. This plot has the most fertile soil, and the better quality the soil, the more those crops are worth and the faster they grow. There's some crops that give the same money no matter what the quality of soil is, like potatoes. You can also improve soil quality later after unlocking fertilizer.

There's little room to grow stuff, but you'll make a crazy amount of money anyway while leaving you more time to have fun with other stuff.

By holding L or R, you can lock your rancher to a certain direction and highlight the square they'd use a tool on. Very useful for making sure you're hitting the right object.

Anyway, that's a lot for one day. Next time we'll meet more people and see if we can climb out of having zero cash.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 1, 2014

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Oh yeah, I'm always open for suggestions for anything, though I've already got the next update played through.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is there something like a King Fish, a unique huge fish you can eventually catch?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mehuyael posted:

Is there something like a King Fish, a unique huge fish you can eventually catch?

Four of them, actually!

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
This is actually way more in-depth of a HM game than I imagined it would be. Neat.

Is there a time limit in the game?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Roar posted:

This is actually way more in-depth of a HM game than I imagined it would be. Neat.

Is there a time limit in the game?

Not that I'm aware of, other than possibly having all your potential suitors end up marrying other people if you stay single too long. No clue how long that would take, though.

The game itself seems to go on forever, though. Instead of having an end after X years, you reach it after getting 50 notes.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

Four of them, actually!

Then you know what you must do.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

Mega64 posted:

Not that I'm aware of, other than possibly having all your potential suitors end up marrying other people if you stay single too long. No clue how long that would take, though.

The game itself seems to go on forever, though. Instead of having an end after X years, you reach it after getting 50 notes.

Actually, from my recollection, the rival couples never marry. They have scenes together, but will never actually get together: I remember being kind of unhappy about that when I played, because I liked some of them.

Also, Jamie's gender is relevant in one way, though I'm not sure if you want it talked about. It's not terribly relevant to this run, if it's a 100 notes run.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Woody really looks like Willy Nelson to me... which is pretty funny, all things considered. I love the idea of Harvest Moon having an old stoner of a carpenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Mega64 posted:

hamemr breaks stones

Might want to fix that.

I'm thinking if I can resist playing a Harvest Moon game by the end of this, I earn a medal for self control.

• Locked thread