Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That shifter looks neat but the pics make it look awfully low, and the connection to the linkage looks like it'll fatigue fracture after not too much engine vibration. Is it better in real life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Snowdens Secret posted:

That shifter looks neat but the pics make it look awfully low, and the connection to the linkage looks like it'll fatigue fracture after not too much engine vibration. Is it better in real life?

It's pretty low. The knob comes to right under my thigh when I'm on the bike where my hand naturally falls so it isn't hard to get to. If you are talking about that little screw holding the linkage on that was just to hold it in place for the photo. There is a big rear end bung welded into the little loop there now that the linkage is bolted into.

It's pretty solid. All FH bikes are jockey shift and he hasn't had an issue with his linkage designs yet. The actual linkage bar there is the one that comes with the factory foot shift but flipped over and turned backwards. I will be over there this week some time and will take some more photos.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's pretty low. The knob comes to right under my thigh when I'm on the bike where my hand naturally falls so it isn't hard to get to. If you are talking about that little screw holding the linkage on that was just to hold it in place for the photo. There is a big rear end bung welded into the little loop there now that the linkage is bolted into.

It's pretty solid. All FH bikes are jockey shift and he hasn't had an issue with his linkage designs yet. The actual linkage bar there is the one that comes with the factory foot shift but flipped over and turned backwards. I will be over there this week some time and will take some more photos.

Stumbled upon this thread, and thought it was cool. Any updates?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Yes! As of right now!

So the tank has been moved back to make room for the sweet risers as well as the speedo being mounted on the side.

The bearing for the shift knob has been completed and the shift linkage connected. I love that drat doorknob.

The fender has been positioned and mounted into place and some gussets added to the frame to strengthen that area.

The bars are just place holders, it will have more traditional apes when we get to that part. Here she is as she stands right now. She has a pretty aggressive look already.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 20, 2014

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yes! As of right now!

After surveying the wall of fame and the six string gods watching over the build, you need to work in

even if it's someplace totally inconspicuous. Nice work.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I will stamp it into the fender at the base.

Should I keep it true to the movie or make it with Stevie Rays correct birthday?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I will stamp it into the fender at the base.

Should I keep it true to the movie or make it with Stevie Rays correct birthday?

Ha! I had no idea they screwed that up. I say right the wrong.

E: looks like Mickey Rourke is going back into the ring with a guy half his age on the 28th. You may wind up sticking with the original as a nod to both if this goes badly.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 20, 2014

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Man these kind of bikes aren't usually my thing but I want this in a bad way. I think a Harley with a low rear end and rediculous apes would compliment my Drz400 and Ktm 990 well.
Very nice EGM, I think a good build does this to people.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This is A Good Bike.

I feel like the railroad spike pegs don't really fit with the rest of the aesthetic, though. They don't really stand out or anything, but they kind of contrast with the handlebars and shifter and sissy bar.

Speaking of the sissy bar, I really dig how simple it is. Doesn't look like a novelty cemetery fence.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This is A Good Bike.

I feel like the railroad spike pegs don't really fit with the rest of the aesthetic, though. They don't really stand out or anything, but they kind of contrast with the handlebars and shifter and sissy bar.

Speaking of the sissy bar, I really dig how simple it is. Doesn't look like a novelty cemetery fence.

With the REASONABLE 14 inch apes I am putting on her and everything chromed they will look fine. The sissy bar is a debate in progress. I like that shape with the twisted square stock but I may add a little round stock design inside of it, that way I have something to keep my bags from sliding down. Sissy bar bags are the poo poo. Saddle bags are a no go. Well maybe one nice left side shaped leather bag but that's it! Once all the decorative metalwork is on it will bring everyhing together.

Also railroad spikes are the best pegs. That lip lets you kick your feet out and hook your boots into them, and if anything gets slippery they won't let your foot slide off the peg. They are fantastic,

I can't wait to get the exhaust fabbed up and mounted and all the brass highlights added to the bike. The exhaust tips tail light and risers look great together.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Also railroad spikes are the best pegs. That lip lets you kick your feet out and hook your boots into them, and if anything gets slippery they won't let your foot slide off the peg.

brass highlights

Hadn't thought about their utility. That's a good point. Also they'll throw bitchin rooster tails of sparks when you lean it way over.

And gently caress yeah on brass highlights.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
After all that work getting the original sporty tank into position we ended up not liking it at all.

I do like this alien egg on the other hand

Sooooo new tank it is.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Nice. And is that a Hank jr bobble head?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

That tank is a good choice.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

kenny powerzzz posted:

Nice. And is that a Hank jr bobble head?

Yes it is. You push the button and it plays a few different songs and bobbles it's giant head around.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Errant Gin Monks posted:

After all that work getting the original sporty tank into position we ended up not liking it at all.

Sooooo new tank it is.

You made the right choice. That tank looks a lot better (even though it looks a lot smaller...)!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

El Jebus posted:

You made the right choice. That tank looks a lot better (even though it looks a lot smaller...)!

Yeah it's about a gallon smaller... Which hurts.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Sooooo new tank it is.

That bike is sexy. Awesome work.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Tiny tanks are a big commitment against practicality, but then, so are frame chops, hardtails, and jockey shifting.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Tiny tanks are a big commitment against practicality, but then, so are frame chops, hardtails, and jockey shifting.

Yeah I make great decisions :)

It's 2.2 gallons so I can ride for..... 2 hours maybe? Maybe 1.5 before filling it up. Although when I take trips up to Oklahoma or over to east Texas I usually stop every hour to see soemthing and look around anyway.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
You answered my question! 2.2 gallons is rough!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

You should fab up a matching gas can to lash to the sissy bar.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So as you can tell by the bike I happen to have a pile of original parts. It's in CAMarket thread but if any of you guys need anything, like the aftermarket badass exhaust, I'm selling it all.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Not that you'd be doing much long distance riding on that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

No. 6 posted:

Not that you'd be doing much long distance riding on that.

Why not? We plan on going to Just Kickers this year, which is 8-10 hours north and possibly one of the Smokeouts. Nothing about this bike says you can't ride it for a long time.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

You could definitely hide a small gas can in a sissy bag if it came to it.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Wouldn't a hardtail get super uncomfortable at that much time?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't think some discomfort necessarily precludes riding it. Isn't there some suspension for the rider in the saddle?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the saddle is airbagged.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

clutchpuck posted:

I don't think some discomfort necessarily precludes riding it. Isn't there some suspension for the rider in the saddle?

Proper attire for long distance hardtail riding:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Slim Pickens posted:

Proper attire for long distance hardtail riding:

Kidney belt... Check
Motorcycle... Check

Alright let's go!

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

No. 6 posted:

Wouldn't a hardtail get super uncomfortable at that much time?

It really is not bad at all, more then anything you just bounce around. Also people that run those small tanks will carry a little bottle of gas on long trips. My roommate for instance carries one as his tank only holds 1.5 gallons.

I'm really not a fan of spring seats as my previous bike had one. The only thing it ever really did was bounce me out of the seat.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Exhaust is tacked in place

edited for size. Also we are adding 45 degree turnouts onto the end of the exhaust to keep it from blowing directly on the frame and my rear end. We should be back to working on it on tuesday to show the next step.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 29, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mean no offense when j say this, but is that end cap on the pipe a plumbing fitting? I lived in an older rental house once and I swear the bathroom sink drain was the same thing but in chrome

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I mean no offense when j say this, but is that end cap on the pipe a plumbing fitting? I lived in an older rental house once and I swear the bathroom sink drain was the same thing but in chrome

That's actually pretty funny. But no they are vintage 50s-60s brass exhaust tips. If you look up fs-brass exhaust tips you will see some for sale randomly.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Added the decorative piece to the sissy bar, nice and simple and gives something for the bags to hold on to.

Exhaust kick outs are in, we might extend the exhaust just a few more inches.

So far so good.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Looking awesome. I LOVE that exhaust. Feel free to post more pictures whenever you have time. Really cool project.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
New photos in

Switches for the bike, the first switch closest to the front is the switch for power, the middle is a toggle to turn it on or honk the horn, the third controls the air compressor and solenoid to raise and lower the pressure in the springs.

Top down view of the bike as I'm sitting on it.

Close up of the bars and headlight controls and indicator lights from the seat position.

Shift knob and where it falls in relation to my leg while on the bike.

Just another side shot of the bike now that the exhaust has been lengthened to its final configuration.

Rear view of the sissy and license plate bracket

Exhaust and tips

Top side of airbags and the hinges

Bottom of airbag mounting plate as well as the connectors for the air

Headlight, toggle controls hibeams/low beams, it shows the indicator lights for hibeams, neutral and oil

Tail light assembly

Oil bag close up from the front

Shift knob and linkage, oil bag behind it

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Errant Gin Monks posted:

the middle is a toggle to turn it on or honk the horn

lol what

So does the horn honk every time you turn it on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

lol what

So does the horn honk every time you turn it on?

No but by law I have to have a horn so... It will double as the horn.

It's a 2 way toggle so pull up to turn it on, push down to honk.

HOOOOONK!!! For inspection.

• Locked thread