Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Jesus Christ that off center gas cap would make me have kittens every time I rode it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if the bike leans on a left side kick, that's the perfect place for the cap

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Jesus Christ that off center gas cap would make me have kittens every time I rode it

Don't forget to take your OCD meds today!

Seriously though, functionally, it's a much better spot than centered. Easier to get at, don't have to get so close to the bike and burn your leg on pipes. Don't have to worry as much about dripping gas on tank when you remove the nozzle.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I know it's functionally better, but yeah. It's just one of those things that makes me twitch. Especially when looking straight past it to the tree, because it makes that look off center and then my ears bleed.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

iwentdoodie posted:

I know it's functionally better, but yeah. It's just one of those things that makes me twitch. Especially when looking straight past it to the tree, because it makes that look off center and then my ears bleed.

Huh... It never bothers me, and it's way more useful. I even like the look of it. Bikes aren't symmetrical and having it off to the side gives my painter a nice feature to work with.

In other news we finally welded the bungs into the frame and mounted the tank, then we fabbed up the tabs for the exhaust bracket. So that's a plus. A few more odds and ends and we are ready to strip it down and send it to powdercoat and chrome.

Unfortunately I spent last weekend in the ER getting my appendix removed so my funds dropped way way down. I'm not sure how long it will take to get the paint on it since I have to ship the tins up to St Louis and pay 4 figures to get the custom job I want. Insurance deductible is going to eat my bike money up.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 16, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Alright so we are done! Fab work is finished. Everything has been made. It's time for the hard part.

We have 2 boxes of parts, one for chrome and one for powder coat. And I am in a dilemma. I'm getting the paint done on the tins in blue and silver with possible gold highlights... Do I powder coat the frame and pieces traditional black or a metal flake silver?

I'm really leaning towards the silver. I think it would make the bike stand out more.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I say silver because most have a black frame. It would make it that much different. Having said that, would the contrast of a black frame make the tin paint pop more?

Going to look killer either way.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I think the silver on the frame would be too much. I'd go for black to provide the contrast, personally.

Or go a little weird and try a white / ivory / powder blue / pastel. I'm a sucker for bikes with light coloured frames.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Alright I have a meeting with the powder coat guys on Thursday to go over colors and drop off the parts. Chrome goes in on Friday. We have the tins boxed up to be shipped to St Louis for paint. Everything should be back in 3-4 weeks for final assembly.

If you guys follow shows and whatnot the guy doing my paint is named Hoops, he trained under Dimes at Liquid Illusions. I'm really excited to see what he comes up with for the 3 tines. He gets he tank, the sphere oil bag and the rear fender. I got a deal on the cost because I'm letting I'm use the oil bag as a logo place for his company. Since this bike should be seeing shows and rally's he was stoked to get his stuff out there.

We have plans to take it to giddy up and just kickers this year. Possibly one of the Smokeouts next year.

All my money is flying out the door!!! Woohoo!

All in all I will be about 10k into this bike when all is said and done

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
10K for a kick-rear end Harley custom seems pretty reasonable to me.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So the frame and 10 extra pieces are at the powder coater. I decided on a nice silver with small metal flakes in it, the sample was really pretty and with a clear coat it pops but not too much.

It's going to look very cool. Should have it back n a week.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Bike is going to look sweet. I can't wait to see it so I can't imagine your level of anticipation.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Scrapez posted:

Bike is going to look sweet. I can't wait to see it so I can't imagine your level of anticipation.

Yeah I'm really excited to see it start coming together. We got the chrome into the shop today and they said it was a 2 week turnaround so that's great.

Powdercoat might be back by next Friday so we can start getting the pieces back in and start wiring and assembly.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
New update, looks like because of poo poo weather I will pick up the frame and pieces from powder coat on Monday or Tuesday. The chrome should be ready in 2 -3 more weeks, hopefully sooner. It will probably be a month until the tins come back from St Louis for paint. I'm not sure exactly how long a paint job takes now that I think of it.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Please advise them that there are people on the internet that are eagerly anticipating seeing the bike so they must hurry.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Frame and parts are back from powder coating. It was cloudy as hell today so we don't have any good photos but we will be working tomorrow getting the engine in it and some extra parts so I can take a photo then.

The silver is really nice but it really shows off every weld and dimpling FH hosed up on. Lol. He isn't happy with it even though only he would be bothered by it and most of it will be covered by parts.

Talked to Hoops, the painter, today and we laid down some ideas. He will start working on some sketches and what not and get them back to me soon. Should be about a month or two for paint depending on how much bondo is needed.

As of right now FH is running my Otis sourced gluten free wires through the frame and getting reading for tomorrow. I will have everyone know every hole in the frame wire runs through has a rubber grommet on it, so there is no way they can rub on bare metal.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

There she is. Silver frame!

We got the engine in and a few other parts, regulator, compressor, etc.

Right now it's just wiring and getting it ready for the parts to come back from chrome.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 15, 2015

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Really dig that silver. Definitely sets it apart from most other bikes. Looks awesome.

Edit: New cams?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Scrapez posted:

Really dig that silver. Definitely sets it apart from most other bikes. Looks awesome.

Edit: New cams?

No the cam cover is at the chromers.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Things are happening!!

http://youtu.be/V_ZdyYfiNdU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
A couple of views of the bike

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Chrome is back!!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Wow! Bike looks great. Can't wait to see it with the tins.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I had my doubts, but I was wrong. The flat black engine with the silver frame is sick.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I had my doubts, but I was wrong. The flat black engine with the silver frame is sick.

Wen re in the minority it seems. was sitting at FHs house the other day and he said

"Jesse came down from Dallas last week, he was checking out the bike."
Me: "oh what did he say?"
"He really likes it, thinks it's going to be awesome."
Me: "yeah so he liked the silver frame?"
"Oh no he loving hated the frame, but he likes the layout and lines of the bike. He thinks you're dumb for using a silver frame."
Me: :(

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I really like the look of those bars, too. They're not obscenely tall like a lot of the bobbers/choppers that you see these days. A good medium height. How comfortable do they seem like they'll be now that you got the seat mounted up and could test fit?

Edit: and the gray frame is cool as poo poo in my book.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Scrapez posted:

I really like the look of those bars, too. They're not obscenely tall like a lot of the bobbers/choppers that you see these days. A good medium height. How comfortable do they seem like they'll be now that you got the seat mounted up and could test fit?

Edit: and the gray frame is cool as poo poo in my book.

They seem pretty good. when I have the seat inflated to ride height my hands fall a few inches below my shoulders with my back straight. So it's pretty comfortable and feels natural. Almost like leaning on a tall table or a chest height ledge. Hard to describe.

The frame in the sunlight has a poo poo ton of tiny metal flake in it so it sparkles a lot when it's bright out. I think it's cool as hell and it doesn't look like just any old bike now.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That brass is really loving cool.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Wen re in the minority it seems. was sitting at FHs house the other day and he said

"Jesse came down from Dallas last week, he was checking out the bike."
Me: "oh what did he say?"
"He really likes it, thinks it's going to be awesome."
Me: "yeah so he liked the silver frame?"
"Oh no he loving hated the frame, but he likes the layout and lines of the bike. He thinks you're dumb for using a silver frame."
Me: :(

gently caress Jesse, that poo poo is cool.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Z3n posted:

gently caress Jesse, that poo poo is cool.

Quoted for truth.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That brass is really loving cool.

I really really like the way it pops out but it isn't offensive. They are very cool highlights that just kind of act like accents to the bike so far and draw your eye to the details. The knob and risers along with the tail light and the exhaust tips just kind of bring the whole thing together. Oh th mirror is also brass on the front.

I'm really happy with the frame and parts being silver. It lets the engine pop, doesn't interfere with the chrome so far and just makes the bike look slimmer and more menacing in its stance. The frame kind of disappears into the bike and let's the black engine and brass pop real hard.

I'm just kind of depressed it's going to be at LEAST another month until the tins come back. They are all mudded up and sanded and smoothed but there is still taping and multiple layers of paint to do.

It's all going to be a surprise to me but it looks like it's going to be some lace, some scales and possibly smoke in defined sections. Silver base with blue candy and some gold metal flake highlights running throughout the tins. I'm letting him do whatever he wants and not even trying to stifle his creativity.

If you guys want to see his stuff on Instagram it's hoops_customs

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Okay the damaged exhaust pipe has been fixed. The chromer had to keep it and round it back out without damaging the chrome. They did a really good job. So all parts are in now except the tins. I talked to hoops yesterday and he said the mud and sanding was done, he was finishing up a bagger he was working on and it was my turn for paint. Hopefully a few more weeks will see the bike finished. As it is we have some time scheduled next week to do some cleanup and get the bike into a roller.

As it stands there isn't much left to do, we need to wire in the dyna-s, I need to get the points cover etched and antiqued (it's brass) and then we need to get the tires and drive train back together. We still need to weld in the internal throttle and make the grips. We need to paint the front brake cylinder. We need to get some new stainless steel bolts in to replace some ugly ones.

It's the home stretch. I can't wait to hear it turn on and hopefully roar.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Hey Errant...I'm curious if you know of a ballpark of what your St. Louis guy would charge for a custom painted tank. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my bike.

Current tank is a numbered paint set from Harley that I love...reason I bought the bike. But the tank is dented in a couple places anddddddddd apparently it's rusty as poo poo inside. :negative: So I'm trying to figure out whether I should send this dented tank off and have it lined and save the paint or if it would be close in cost to buy a used, non-rusty tank and have a shop paint it to match my current tank...(Which I don't even know is actually possible.)

If I had stacks of cash laying around, I'd just buy this set off Ebay which is the exact set I have on my bike: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140457280199

Anyway, sorry to derail your thread. You can PM if you don't want to reply here.

I hope things are progressing with the paint on your bike. Can't wait to see it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Scrapez posted:

Hey Errant...I'm curious if you know of a ballpark of what your St. Louis guy would charge for a custom painted tank. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my bike.

Current tank is a numbered paint set from Harley that I love...reason I bought the bike. But the tank is dented in a couple places anddddddddd apparently it's rusty as poo poo inside. :negative: So I'm trying to figure out whether I should send this dented tank off and have it lined and save the paint or if it would be close in cost to buy a used, non-rusty tank and have a shop paint it to match my current tank...(Which I don't even know is actually possible.)

If I had stacks of cash laying around, I'd just buy this set off Ebay which is the exact set I have on my bike: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140457280199

Anyway, sorry to derail your thread. You can PM if you don't want to reply here.

I hope things are progressing with the paint on your bike. Can't wait to see it.

I don't know actually. He is doing all 3 of my tins for 1k. So I assume less than that. I can ask for you though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Paint is coming along. Base coat is down. Metal flake is down.

SMOKE IS DOWN!

I suppose next is taping, candies, airbrushing etc etc. it's awesome seeing the layers go on.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Paint is almost done. It's crazy and it's awesome! Can't wait to see it on the bike.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

what the jesus

whatever, i doubted the silver frame too but that turned out fine

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

That poo poo looks like one crazy rear end Christmas ornament!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Looks like a spaceship from a 1970s scifi novel cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 386 days!
I'm super curious to see your original design docs. Any chance you could scan them in for us?

• Locked thread