Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I haven't seen this thread in a while, and when I heard "silver frame" I immediately had this ugly picture in mind. Honestly though, it doesn't look half bad.

Pretty crazy project regardless, I think the crazy blue-white tank will look good with the frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

wesley snypes posted:

I'm super curious to see your original design docs. Any chance you could scan them in for us?

Documentation? I don't have this stuff.

As for the paint I'm pretty stoked. It's loving bizarre and I am digging it. A bunch more clear coats are going on and in one or two of those costs he is adding a real light copper colored dust flake to add some gold over the rest of it. May do some gold pin striping on some lines to tie into the brass on the bike.

I have no idea I didn't want any control,over the paint. I wanted him to do his thing and express himself.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 8, 2015

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

You did the right thing IMO. Going to be about the weirdest looking bike out there and I'm for it. Can't wait to see it all put together.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 386 days!
What about sketches and mockups? I mean, you must've gone into it with either a plan or an expert with a plan, to keep it from turning into a total clusterfuck

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

wesley snypes posted:

What about sketches and mockups? I mean, you must've gone into it with either a plan or an expert with a plan, to keep it from turning into a total clusterfuck

Nope. FH and I have done probably 15 chops so far. I had a vision and we just kind of went with it. The only thing we had to know was how long to make the stretch on the frame to fit the chain kit and for that we just called ledsled and they told us. Otherwise we just kind of build things.

The only diagram we have is the electrical one FH made. He always makes electrical,diagrams but hey depend on the build as it stands before wiring.

There really isn't much to do on a chopper. You basically just rip everything off of it and determine which essential parts go back on and what you have to build to do it. It has a progression where you fit everything into the bike and make stuff to make it fit. If the original idea doesn't work you find another place to stick things.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

"Errant Gin Monks" posted:

If the original idea doesn't work you find another place to stick things.

And that's why divorce rates are so high in America. :haw:

Paint is wacky and awesome, can't wait to see it done and on the bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nope. FH and I have done probably 15 chops so far. I had a vision and we just kind of went with it. The only thing we had to know was how long to make the stretch on the frame to fit the chain kit and for that we just called ledsled and they told us. Otherwise we just kind of build things.

The only diagram we have is the electrical one FH made. He always makes electrical,diagrams but hey depend on the build as it stands before wiring.

There really isn't much to do on a chopper. You basically just rip everything off of it and determine which essential parts go back on and what you have to build to do it. It has a progression where you fit everything into the bike and make stuff to make it fit. If the original idea doesn't work you find another place to stick things.

The Tuttles said you're doing it wrong and like 90% of a build is ~*~*CONCEPT~*~*~ sketches about capturing the spirit of the thing and and and

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
While I hate the Tuetels or whatever their name is they used to build frames from scratch, which does take much more planning than a old school chop.

Also they must be doing something right they are way wealthier than I am. I'm broke.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The Tuttles said you're doing it wrong and like 90% of a build is ~*~*CONCEPT~*~*~ sketches about capturing the spirit of the thing and and and the sponsors.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Scrapez posted:

And that's why divorce rates are so high in America. :haw:

This made me laugh way more than it should have.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Also they must be doing something right they are way wealthier than I am. I'm broke.

You're not shouting at your build partner enough or punching doors on camera.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
The paint is doooooone. Just waiting on the shipping now!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Final pics of the paint.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Far out.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Final pics of the paint.

That craftsmanship belongs in an art museum! Well done.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
The tins are back and are sitting on my table. Tomorrow we begin final assembly and the last few details. This bitch should be running by the end of the week.

I'm freaking out... It's finally going to be done.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The tins are back and are sitting on my table. Tomorrow we begin final assembly and the last few details. This bitch should be running by the end of the week.

I'm freaking out... It's finally going to be done.

Can't wait to see it all done. Going to look sick!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Tins are on, paint in the sunlight

Then we decided to see what the exhaust looked like on the bike as well.

All in all I'm in love.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
I think the decision to go with the silver frame has definitely been proven correct, now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I should also show the other side, which is also awesome.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Looks fuckin' great, well done!

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

that paint looks amazing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's fantastic! Needs wheels though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Slavvy posted:

That's fantastic! Needs wheels though.

Yeah and some handlebars too.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ahhhhhh. K I finally get it now. This thing is sick.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
That bike is rad and the paint is rad - never seen a scheme quite like it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
ITS A ROLLER NOW!!!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

ITS A ROLLER NOW!!!

Love it! Paint looks great.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

revmoo posted:

Ahhhhhh. K I finally get it now. This thing is sick.

What were you not getting before if you don't mind sharing. I'm always curious how people see the bike as its being built,

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Sweet bike. The paint looks like something out of one of those 70s acid-drenched cowboy/biker comics. Hope you can ride it to the moon to meet the space Buddha.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Okay so we got the new brass petcocks in for the gas tank, that's done. We got the light mounted and need to wire it up. Got the license bracket on.

To do list.

Insert sprocket spacer and run the chain.
Finish installing internal throttle
Finish installing front brake cylinder and run brake lines
Install rear brake cylinder and run brake line
Wire tail light
Install petcocks and run gas lines with glass filter
Install carb and air cleaner
Make leather grips

Start bike and roar off

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 25, 2015

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Okay so we got the new brass peacocks in for the gas tank, that's done. We got the light mounted and need to wire it up. Got the license bracket on.

To do list.

Insert sprocket spacer and run the chain.
Finish installing internal throttle
Finish installing front brake cylinder and run brake lines
Install rear brake cylinder and run brake line
Wire tail light
Install petcocks and run gas lines with glass filter
Install carb and air cleaner
Make leather grips

Start bike and roar off

Leather grips? How are you making those?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Scrapez posted:

Leather grips? How are you making those?

Take leather, cut out the rectangles, wrap them around the bars and throttle, mark the holes, punch the holes, lace the grips. Cover the inside with grip glue, place them in the appropriate place, pull the laces tight and tie them off. Stain the leather on the bike using old motor oil.

Grips.

It's surprisingly easy.

These were the grips I made for my Honda. I riveted two pieces together and then laced them up using the laces as a place for my fingers to grip and the rivets in my palms to add grip there. After they aged in the sun and weather a bit they looked fantastic, this is them fresh on with the mohagony stain.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 25, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Well that was fun as hell. We ran the fuel lines and got the chain on then started cranking in the rear axle tensioner bolts, FH got his stuck on a grain of sand still in there from the powder coaters, guess we didn't clean it out well enough.

After snapping 2 Allen wrench heads we couldn't heat the bolt because it would have hosed the powdercoat. So we got out an air powered impact wrench and promptly stripped the Allen head right the gently caress out after hitting it with a ton of penetrating oil.

Next step stare at it.

Next step say gently caress it, pull the tire and wrap the tins securely... Power on the loving welder and weld a bolt head to the bitch.

It came out without snapping. So we retapped the threads and need to go buy another bolt.

There was a huge sigh of relief that we didn't have to drill it out an put in a Heli-coil.

Soooooooo that's all we got done today. Maybe this weekend we can work some more.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well that was fun as hell. We ran the fuel lines and got the chain on then started cranking in the rear axle tensioner bolts, FH got his stuck on a grain of sand still in there from the powder coaters, guess we didn't clean it out well enough.

After snapping 2 Allen wrench heads we couldn't heat the bolt because it would have hosed the powdercoat. So we got out an air powered impact wrench and promptly stripped the Allen head right the gently caress out after hitting it with a ton of penetrating oil.

Next step stare at it.

Next step say gently caress it, pull the tire and wrap the tins securely... Power on the loving welder and weld a bolt head to the bitch.

It came out without snapping. So we retapped the threads and need to go buy another bolt.

There was a huge sigh of relief that we didn't have to drill it out an put in a Heli-coil.

Soooooooo that's all we got done today. Maybe this weekend we can work some more.

Grips are cool as poo poo. Probably have a good feel in hand, too.

That really sucks on the tensioner bolt. What a pita. It's always something dumb that holds up a project for hours. Guess that's part of the fun. :)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The bike looks incredible. You were right to do the frame silver, it really ties the bike together.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Take leather, cut out the rectangles, wrap them around the bars and throttle, mark the holes, punch the holes, lace the grips. Cover the inside with grip glue, place them in the appropriate place, pull the laces tight and tie them off. Stain the leather on the bike using old motor oil.

Grips.

It's surprisingly easy.

These were the grips I made for my Honda. I riveted two pieces together and then laced them up using the laces as a place for my fingers to grip and the rivets in my palms to add grip there. After they aged in the sun and weather a bit they looked fantastic, this is them fresh on with the mohagony stain.

I've been wanting to make some leather grips, but don't have a bike they'd be suitable on. Those look nice.

I've had good luck taking a Dremel with a buffing wheel on it and buffing small leather pieces with a bunch of beeswax. Stuff like knife sheaths and belt buckles and the like. I don't know that it would hold up well on grips or anything else that takes a lot of sun and your filthy hands, but the finished effect is very pleasing.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I love the elegant simplicity of staining it with used motor oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Grips.

It's surprisingly easy.

This has been a really cool build to follow. Your bike looks absolutely fantastic. I'm really looking forward to seeing your next set of grips. I really like that you're using leather.

• Locked thread