Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

UO An Corp is a free Ultima Online private shard that launched on Feb 23, 2014. It's a Pre UO:R shard brought to you by Az and crew except without Az since he had a mental breakdown and quit UO (hopefully) forever. If you were following IPY 3 then pretty much nothing has changed, UOAC is using the codebase that Az handed over. If you played IPY 2 then expect most of the same with a few new features and much faster skill gain. If you're new here then keep reading!

quote:

Currently, UO An Corp is based roughly around "era accurate" T2A combat. This means you should expect to see mechanics like:

*Insta-hit weapons
*Precasting
*Healing through poison
*No special weapon hits of any kind
*No specialized "pure mage" viability like poison mages or scribe mages
*No mounts!

Want to read more? Check out their general features page and key features page. However, to many, these features are just filler. The reason that most people play IPY is because there's usually a huge number of players and a very active PvP scene. You will not find this on any other Pre-UO:R server.

I want to keep this short so I'll stop here and post a few screenshots of the goon antics on IPY 2 a few years ago.

Want to play? Read their Download & Setup page.

Tomed2000 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
I like all these features, except for one. No mounts? What's the appeal of that? I'm sure it has some interesting effects in PVP, but the rest of the game because pretty tedious to traverse without mounts. No?

robot
Sep 24, 2004
yawn
This is relaunching tonight at 11pm CST! http://forum.uoancorp.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=453

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

Yup, just reopened thread, thanks for the bump.

Darkmoon2k posted:

I like all these features, except for one. No mounts? What's the appeal of that? I'm sure it has some interesting effects in PVP, but the rest of the game because pretty tedious to traverse without mounts. No?

PvP is the main reason. Some argue that UO was originally played on 28k modems and that mounts were not a viable method of transportation but honestly it's just because mounted PvP devolves into paralyze wars. I personally think that field PvP is much more fun without them. How do people get around? With Recall, of course!

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

How's the population? How's the PvP feel?

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

Rabbi posted:

How's the population? How's the PvP feel?

With a maximum of two accounts per IP address there are 742 clients logged in at the moment, not too bad considering the shaky launch. Mark stopped in last night and helped the UOAC devs out with either a RunUO patch or some configuration settings and now the server is lag-free so I imagine they will enable us to make a third account soon.

As for PvP, the Umbral guys (Trystan, etc) have said it's solid but I haven't dueled since IPY 3 beta a few months ago so I'm not sure. The devs are very open to feedback unlike Az so there has been a lot of change.

Tomed2000 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 25, 2014

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't even know what to say about Az, he's probably the worst thing to happen to freeshards in the past 5 years.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't even know what to say about Az, he's probably the worst thing to happen to freeshards in the past 5 years.

For someone who doesn't follow freeshards closely, but is curious, can you elaborate?

Stoned Sheep
Jun 21, 2010
Any goon collaboration occurring for shard domination or are most of you rolling solo?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The shard domination strategy has proven to be really stupid and failure prone in the past and leads to drama and everything falling apart in the end.

If this server has a good population and goons don't try this shard domination I'd be into this.

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

TOOT BOOT posted:

Good thing he's not running this server, then!

Stoned Sheep posted:

Any goon collaboration occurring for shard domination or are most of you rolling solo?

Not that I know of. I haven't been farming hard yet so I don't even have a house. Been teaching a couple newbs how to play so that's taken a good portion of my time. Not that I care, I usually don't go for the early house spots I'd rather have something remote. All I will need is enough to train a couple tank mages and keep a steady supply of regs.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

It mentions 300% skill gain twice for dungeons. Once under normal conditions and again under Power Hour. Does that mean during Power Hour those two stack?

jabro fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 26, 2014

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Tomed2000 posted:

PvP is the main reason.

Why not just make it so any kind of damage auto dismounts you and you enter a cooldown for mounting again?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I'd love to play again but goons loving ruin this poo poo. I urge anyone interested to not do it unless it's not the same goofballs that played before. They devolve pvp into brain dead poo poo and just ruin the whole point of uo and drive the server to the ground.

Then again, trying to play uo and capture what the game was over a decade ago today is just a waste of time. Nowadays it's all about everyone just min maxing and playing it like all the new mmos.

Sorry to be so negative but just look at the older threads if you don't believe me.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Darkmoon2k posted:

For someone who doesn't follow freeshards closely, but is curious, can you elaborate?

I don't know whether I'll ever really play UO again after playing IPY2, that's how big of a waste of time it was. I'm sure there were others that felt the same way.

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't know whether I'll ever really play UO again after playing IPY2, that's how big of a waste of time it was. I'm sure there were others that felt the same way.

Not sure what this means, can't say a single person or server has ever made me not want to play again. IPY2 was fun for a month and it died off because skill gain was too hard (among other things) and Az didn't want to change his "vision". When people stopped playing he brought it down, pretty common for UO freeshards. The most egregious thing he's done as of late is canceling the launch of IPY3 just days before it was planned to start. Devs spent months programming and the players spent just as much time testing. He just spontaneously canceled it just as it was finished. Luckily he gave the code to some of his staff so they are now running UOAC with a few others in the UO community which is basically the IPY codebase.

This server is doing pretty well for itself. They peaked at 1029 clients online yesterday (http://joinuo.com/shard/27) and it seems to be growing. There have been a few connectivity problems and even some server crashes but the devs are quickly fixing problems while the admins are communicating a lot on the forums.

With the exception of UOSA, T2A servers tend to not stand the test of time. The players attracted to these types of shards are arguably the most hardcore UO players and they usually get bored within a month or two of the launch. We'll see if the staff can keep their interest this time around.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
I've been running around - feels like it takes forever to raise skills, and that's a good thing I guess.

At least, it means there will probably be a ton of people on, noobing it up, for a while. And I've seen a ton of people on noobing it up, so I don't think worrying about the game being full of min-maxers is a valid concern yet. :v:

Edit: Also how the hell are we supposed to set this server up? I've got all kinds of annoying client bugs (period inaccuracies) but I did the install from their site, along with the patch..

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 28, 2014

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

Tom Powers posted:

I've been running around - feels like it takes forever to raise skills, and that's a good thing I guess.

At least, it means there will probably be a ton of people on, noobing it up, for a while. And I've seen a ton of people on noobing it up, so I don't think worrying about the game being full of min-maxers is a valid concern yet. :v:

Edit: Also how the hell are we supposed to set this server up? I've got all kinds of annoying client bugs (period inaccuracies) but I did the install from their site, along with the patch..

Myself and a few friends have used these instructions and no one has had a problem yet. Make sure you check "negotiate features" in UO Steam since it's usually unchecked by default. Skills take quite a long time to level past 90. Fairly sure there's not a single 7x character yet, surely no mages. 8th circle scrolls don't even exist yet so no one can even cast Flamestrike a week into the server! That might be changing today, however, as I just sold a FS master scroll to a scribe yesterday.

If anyone needs a bit of help getting started hit me up on IRC. I'm on synirc and stratics as Tomed (The UOAC irc channel is #ancorp on stratics). I have a small house on Vesper strip and put together a guild just for easy sparring and such.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Tomed2000 posted:

these instructions and no one has had a problem yet. Make sure you check "negotiate features" in UO Steam
I followed those instructions exactly, but I'm using Razor. So I guess I'll give UOSteam a try.

Defstoner
Apr 7, 2005

I sell shoes for a living. Kill me please.
This server is incredible, I can't recommend it enough to people who prefer T2A. Skill gain is MUCH faster than IPY, if you think it's slow (it's not slow), go to a dungeon. Hope to see Moonsquad again, it wouldn't be the same without you guys.

edit: I'm not some hardcore poopsocker and I have a mage that's 6x mid 90's and mid 80's with the resist. No problems casting Flamestrike/Resurrection. There was a scribe that got a FS scroll on the second day.

Defstoner fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 28, 2014

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

Honestly didn't know that Flamestrike scrolls existed yet. They must've taken a huge loss crafting them on day 2.

In other news check out the new deathcam: http://www.twitch.tv/uoac

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tomed2000 posted:

Honestly didn't know that Flamestrike scrolls existed yet. They must've taken a huge loss crafting them on day 2.

Is this showing random people on the server dying because that owns.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

In as Benthax. Hope to see some of you jerkos around.

e: Also, any tips for making decent gold early on? Its been awhile since I played. I've been shearing sheep and then turning it into cloth to vendor for a little bit of cash so far.

Yivgev fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 1, 2014

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

The easiest gold is probably chopping wood or mining ingots and selling them. Gathering is quick on this server as you get all of the resources from each node in one swing of the axe/pickaxe. You have to answer a captcha every time, but still, it's much faster than the conventional way. There seems to always be people buying resources since tradeskills level ridiculously slow.

The quickest way to make money solo is to get your fighting skills up a bit then hit up Air Elementals in Shame 2 as soon as possible. They drop around 100g and you can even sell the scrolls if you want to make a bit extra. If you want to start making real money solo then you need provocation or taming.

If you can put together a few people then you can easily take harder poo poo with cross healing. The bigger groups were taking on drakes and dragons on the first day. You can pretty much do anything even with lovely characters as long as you cross-heal. Stick to killing caster mobs: air eles, water eles, liches, etc. These will drop the most gold.

Defstoner
Apr 7, 2005

I've had a lot of success starting with a provo/mage, but a warrior or crafter would probably be the best start for someone who hasn't played in awhile. Like Tomed mentioned, harvesting is much faster than traditional UO, and you can make some serious bank selling resources to players while all the crafters are building their characters. (Crafting skills are super slow)

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010

Tomed2000 posted:

Have had this tab open for a few days now, fun to check in on people dieing around Britannia

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

braden posted:

Have had this tab open for a few days now, fun to check in on people dieing around Britannia

Yeah this is awesome. I wish this technology was feasible back in 1998.

robot
Sep 24, 2004
yawn
Having a lot of fun playing on the server so far. There's been some spikes of lag and a couple crashes but it's starting to become decently stable with the work of the admins. If anyone here getting started needs a spellbook or some scrolls let me know and I can help out. There's also still plenty of great housing spots available for anyone interested.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Guess I'll give this a whirl. Shard's new so I'll try and nab a good house spot - what's the fastest way possible to get cash for a small house? Just jump right into mining and sell off the ingots?

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

Deuce posted:

Guess I'll give this a whirl. Shard's new so I'll try and nab a good house spot - what's the fastest way possible to get cash for a small house? Just jump right into mining and sell off the ingots?

Ingots are still 2g a piece so I think that's probably still a good way to make some starting cash. Make sure you become a citizen to a town before you buy the deed. I think they're around 27-30k with taxes.

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002
Man I miss the original IPY, still have a folder with 100+ razor kill shots I should upload one day. I hope this can be similar.

Strategy fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 7, 2014

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Got an email from an IPY1 guildy about this SOB. Thinkin bout it. Fuckin UO!!!!!

Defstoner
Apr 7, 2005

Now that people are rounding out their characters things are getting interesting. I'll be placing houses on Ice and Fire as supply dumps soon, so any goons can hit me up if they are farming Deceit or Hythloth and I'll get you friended.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002
I'm quite well set up on UOSA and UOF, but thinking of giving this a go just for a fresh start.

Do disarm thieves work here? Is there a lumber bonus on swords?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Heskie posted:

I'm quite well set up on UOSA and UOF, but thinking of giving this a go just for a fresh start.

Do disarm thieves work here? Is there a lumber bonus on swords?

No, the mechanics are primarily pre-UOR

No.Mercy
Oct 4, 2011
I've been playing for a couple hours on MKultra the fencing/shields dexxer. The server is really active right now, the new features appear to be well made by freeshard standards. I'm thinking I'll be playing here for a while. I'll be farming scrolls in Despise tonight if anyone wants to join

Zoopy
Aug 31, 2002

"HAT."
Gonna give a shot, as I have NO life right now...
lookin forward to seeing some old "friends." :buddy:

nephyx
Jun 20, 2006

"Purges"
-Adolf Twerkel
Ran around the server for a few hours last night and had a blast working on some duels and basic field pvp. The server population is exploding and the servers ruleset seems balanced and enjoyable. I never thought I'd be playing UO again but it looks like an corp might change that.

:getin:

Omega Ozone
Oct 15, 2012

No.Mercy posted:

I've been playing for a couple hours on MKultra the fencing/shields dexxer. The server is really active right now, the new features appear to be well made by freeshard standards. I'm thinking I'll be playing here for a while. I'll be farming scrolls in Despise tonight if anyone wants to join

MKultra? I'm pretty sure we grouped the other day while you were farming in Despise. I'm Bong Loader in-game and I was playing with my guildmates Bill Nye, Krusty and Sir Robin. Didn't expect to see you in this thread, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!
Wrecking poo poo in Covetous right now, couldn't resist

As TobiasFunke and Luca Blight - any of you monkeys from Moo on IpY 2 here?

EllEssDee fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 12, 2014

• Locked thread