Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mcustic posted:

I read The Invisibles and really enjoyed the whole paranormal/conspiracy/counter-culture/Lovecraftian barely comprehensible mish-mash, if you get what I mean. I'm looking for similar subversive comics. The more out there, the better.

I've never read American comics before, just some euro stuff in the eighties and nineties (Groo, anyone?), so feel free to recommend anything, even if you assume that everyone and their mother already read it. I also don't feel like getting into superheroes.

e:poo poo, Groo is an American comic.

The answer to the first one is Hellboy and BRPRD. The whole series is full of lovecraftian and paranormal poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Good current DC books to consider if you're making a list, OP.

All Charles Soule comics: Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Superman/Wonder Woman.
Action Comics (Pak)
Green Arrow (Lemire)
Animal Man
Batman, Batman and ...
Wonder Woman.

Wonder Women should be edited to say for one more storyline then its Finch time

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Beasts of Burden by Evan Dorkin and Jill Thompson sounds like it might be just what you want. There's even been some one shots where they team up with the BRPD. It's about a team of investigators who go around solving paranormal activity in their small neighbourhood.

Also they are all cats and dogs.

And the art is pretty drat gorgeous.

Dark Horse has a preview of issue #1 up on their site. It's a really great series.

Just do not read if you lost a pet in the past year. The comic can be really really depressing.
I also saw that DH has solicitation for Lone Cub and Son omnibi. How is it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Where should I start with modern (post 2000) Thor?

Also is JMS universally bad or just bad on certain runs?

Start with JMS, then go to Gillian as its clean up. Fractions run is just there, and Aarons is awesome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

This is one of those cases where a drop in quality later results in people writing off the entire idea. His Thor run starts really good- the Oklahoma idea is brilliant- as did his Spider-Man. They both dipped later on, (I'd say less so in Thor's case, though that might be because he left more abruptly there, letting Gillen pick up) but that doesn't invalidate the earlier quality. There's even a kernel of something in his Wonder Woman run, but I'm not sure how much of that was Phil Hester taking the premise and tweaking it.

His Superman idea worked better when another writer took over!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah I'm trying to figure out where to pick up FF post Waid's first run. I'm skipping Claremont's for sure because I can't stand him, but I think JMS comes in next after him.

I'm going to read post BND Spiderman at some point, I see the Spider Island stuff later on, is that the much maligned run where Spiderman meets the God of Spiders or whatever?

Hickman, just read Hickman.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

There are five Excalibur Classic trades which collect the entire Claremont run but some of them (especially the second one, I think) can be hard to get hold of. The Davis and Ellis runs both have three Excalibur Visionaries trades each, but the first Davis one and all three Ellis collections seem to be either out of print or on the way out.

I have the first four classic trades, and was wondering if the fifth one is worth it? Looking it up, most of it is not written by Claremont, so was wondering if it was necessary?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redbackground posted:

I still like Legends a whole lot--and yes, there are a million tie-ins, but you only really need to read the main issues. Turns out that John Ostrander knows how to write a good story!

I like Cosmic Odyssey, but that could be just the Mike Mignola art.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sphinx posted:

Just got my subscription. Don't worry, since I have it for a month I do play on branching out. I'll probably check out Daredevil (starting where, not sure) and Ultimate Spider-Man as I've heard good things about them. Regarding those Marvel events, are they at least okay until the New Avengers finale?

Start at Daredevil 26 by Bendis. The New Avengers Finale is just the end of Bendis writing one Avengers book, and New Avengers volume 2 and his Avengers are not that great. Holy poo poo Dark Avengers v2 makes no sense.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I thought Hudlin's run was plenty bad, especially since the only way he knew to make Panther and Wakanda look good was making everyone else look like petty children. Anyone remember "blacks are naturally athletic but not as smart as whites" Dr. Doom? Or how about some loving Wakandan scientist being all "We shouldn't share the cure for cancer with the outside world, they're simply not ready."

God, what a clusterfuck.

It makes Black Panther look even worse, as he was there when Captain Marvel died.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zombie Tsunami posted:

Been thinking about buying Green Lantern / Green Arrow for a few weeks now. Is it quality? I know it's from the '70s, so it could very much be outdated. Or amazing.

It is good, but dated. The stories are still enjoyable, but they are still written in the 70s. It is important to read them with that knowledge. It is also one of the few times Hal Jordan is interesting.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Daric posted:

I've read 28 issues of Ultimate Comics: Spider-man with Miles Morales as Spider-Man and it says The End. Next Cataclysm! at the end of the last one.

What else follows Miles as Spider-Man? I haven't read comics in a long time so I don't know all the crossover stuff and big events. I just like this kid as Spider-Man and want to read more with him if there is any.

Did you get Spider-men? Its Miles meeting our Pete.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

James Robinson's Starman question: I'm really interested in reading this series the whole way through since it's so highly recommended (I liked Robinson's short JSA run and I've read a few assorted issues of Starman, but it's my understanding it's much better when you read the whole thing from start to finish), but the first few omnibus editions are tough to get in hardcover (especially the third one). Can anybody tell me if the TPBs are worth looking into as an alternative? I've heard they leave out a few issues across the run.

The omnibus are the way to go, but the third one is impossible to find at a decent price since they made the hc go OOP, then cancelled the soft cover.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Is the Paul Cornell "Black Ring" run on Action Comics worth checking out?

Yes. It is all Lex Luthor and his Lois Lane bot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Thanks! I'm only familiar with Cornell from his Doctor Who work, which I enjoy; I haven't read any of his comics.

His Wisdom and Captain Britain and MI-13 is incredible and the best thing he has ever written. His Wolverine is just there. It is good, but not interesting so I can't recommend it or tell you to avoid it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Anime_Otaku posted:

I'm kind of into comics that have superheroes but slaps them in the face with a dose of something that is close to reality. I'm talking about either things like Penence where the vigilante superheroes are faced by actual competent police forces who actually bring them to justice when a villian gets knockec off of a roof. Alternately books like Supurbia, Ultra or Hero 9 to 5 where superheroes are pretty much treated as celebs or atheletes and are otherwise just normal people except for the superpowers.

Powers by Bendis night be up your ally

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Can anyone recommend some good Namor-centric storylines, or just plots where he features heavily?

I read the Fear Itself tie-in, which was pretty fun in terms of ridiculous teamups, and I got through all of Namor: The First Mutant, as well, which I quite liked. I also read Sub-Mariner: The Deep, which had the most breathtaking art ever but obviously wasn't typical Namor.

Not liking the New Invaders run too much, though I keep trying. The writing just feels kind of clunky.

I'm up for classics or more recent stuff. If there's anything that doesn't involve half the population of Atlantis getting slaughtered for the billionth time, that'd be awesome. :downs:

Are you reading all new invaders or new invaders? One just started an not that bad, and the other is Austen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I meant All-New Invaders, sorry. The one currently running. I only read the first two, has it picked up a bit?

I am enjoying it but it might be I am just happy to see Bucky in a monthly title again.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

horsepeen posted:

I want to read some Constantine before the show airs; is the New 52 version any good? My guess would be no, but if there are any stand out issues, I'd be willing to check em out.

Also, as for classic Hellblazer, should I just start at the beginning? Any other notable/must read arcs?

I love Original Sins, but you have to know its a satire of Thatchers England and its really political. Most people say start with Dangerous Habits by Garth Ennis. You also might want to read Swamp Thing by Original Writer, as he first appeared there. gently caress the 52 one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Veg posted:

I liked Original Sins a lot, I've been meaning to read more of Constantines stuff. With Hellblazer being rereleased in new edition trades, I thought I'd pick up Ennis run since I also loved Preacher.

Besides Ennis run, including vol 8 which is coming out next month, I also ordered vol 2 The Devil You Know.

What I'm wanting to know is can I safely skip volumes 3 and 4 without missing anything crucial for Ennis' run. I believe one has a hippy story and the other a serial killer story.

Family Man is loving awesome and ties into Sandman. Volume 3 and 4 is good poo poo, but Ennis run is pretty self contained.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

If Bendis's name is on it, it's important. They have all been good except cataclysm

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

I mean, is there anything in Ult. marvel to avoid, really? I know Ultimates 3/Ultimatum is supposed to be pretty awful, but I think I have to read it because it fucks with so much poo poo.

Back in the day I read the four ongoings through Before Ultimates 3, so I've heard Ultimatium "ruins Ultimate Marvel" until the relaunch. True? (And The only specific complaints I've heard are Blob eats Wasp and Wolverine is mean to Clint about his dead wife)

Yes the story is stupid stupid beyond belief and kills off a poo poo load if characters either stupidly or off panel. It's just a poo poo comic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

radlum posted:

Any good Flash comics? (Wally West or Barry Allen; doesn't matter which)

Mark Waid's run is pretty great. His Return of Barry Allen is a classic. Also Geoff John's first Flash run with Wally is pretty good. Just stop at around 200 as it soon turns into crossover town.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Also BPRD

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kieron Gillen's run is pretty great and his Kid Loki run is even better. However, his Thor run is mostly clean up from JMS. He left right before Siege and the storyline was not complete, so he came on for what was originally a couple of issues and it just kept on getting extended. JMS's run is decent, but a great older storyline is the Thor's Avengers Dissembled storyline.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

prefect posted:

Ellis also wrote a short series (four issues, maybe) called "Ignition City". You may have seen this panel:

And Transmetropolitan is loving awesome, especially if you like Hunter S. Thompson.

It also somehow predicted Mitt Romney before he became famous.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

He predicted a generic rich businessman would run for president?????????

No the Smiler looks a lot like Romney and they have the same policies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

quote:

With regards to the Avengers they were just sort of in this pattern of being passed from one mediocre creative team

You really think that Kurt Busiek and George Perez is a mediocre creative team?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

After the Busiek/Perez relaunch, I mean.

It was really just a quick Geoff Johns run that is most famous for Antman spelunking and then followed by Chuck Austen's poo poo run. However, the truth was Avengers were in a stagnant place and Bendis really injected new life in the franchise. I also agree that the end of New Avengers volume 1 was the end of his good avengers run. The relaunched New Avengers and Avengers were just rehashes of things he already did, and he just seemed bored on the titles.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MantisToboggan posted:

I want to get more into Marvel, but I don't know where to start. I've read plenty of Ultimate comics, but not much of the 616 universe, so I would appreciate it if you guys could recommend some good arcs/collections that are fairly recent, but don't rely too much on knowing the whole history of the Marvel universe. I'm specifically interested in Spider-Man, X-Men, and the Avengers, but I'm willing to expand my horizons.

Hawkeye, Captain America by Bru, Thor by Aaron, Wolverine and X-men by Aaron, New X-men by Morrison,Venom by Rick Remender, Avengers and New Avengers by Hickman, by New Avengers by Bendis you may like. Journey into Mystery by Kieron Gillen. Fantastic Four by Waid, fantastic Four by Hickman, FF by Fraction. Iron Man by Fraction is also pretty good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

This is an extremely broad question but:

Last week I got the Planetary omni and this week I got the Sleeper omnibus. I was wondering what other good omnibus collections are out there? I like indie superheroish stuff like the two I mentioned, I'm not really interested in slice of life or whatever books. So good omnibuses that collect 20+ or so issues of really quality, complete runs is what I'm after.

There are two Madman omnibus's and they are loving awesome. Allred is one of the best writers and artists in comics today. If you like his work then I also suggest X-Statix

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Stagger_Lee posted:

Uncanny X-Men #104 is the first appearances, with the "Cyclop's father" reveal in #154. X-Men in space has always been weird to me, especially as wikipedia seems to suggest that it only happened cause Marvel kept putting off publishing Cockrum's team of space pirates and he talked Claremont into writing them in with the connection to Cyclops.

I am almost positive that it was very quickly revealed that Corsair was Cyclops dad, but it was 154 when cyclops found out. The first Starjammer storyline is pretty good and helps set up the next couple of years of plots.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

friendo55 posted:

I'm about a year or so into reading comics and looking for a new non-superhero series to get into that's just recently started up [I'm thinking Warren Ellis' Trees?] or especially one that's upcoming.

Right now I'm loving BKV's Saga and anything from Brubaker (catching up on Criminal and reading Velvet). Basically I'm requesting anything that's new and exciting and wasn't sure where to go or how to narrow it all down. With Saga and Velvet it's been much more enjoyable reading month-to-month versus TPB.

Southern Bastards

I am also going to suggest Hellboy and Madman since they are the best.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 17, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Goatmask posted:

Speeking of Madman, what would be the best place to start? From what I can tell the title is a whole mess of miniseries, is there a better one to start with? Or should I start at the beginning (?) with Madman Comics: Yearbook '95

Also can people recommend other good comics with art by Mike Allred, I really like his style. And also by Rafael Grampá, who all I have read by is Mesmo Delivery.

No the best is to start here http://www.amazon.com/Madman-Volume-1-v/dp/1582408106/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1/178-9520504-9824508?ie=UTF8&refRID=09Z7P4T3A4TT49KT8KVA
Here is the reading order
Madman Vol. 1
Madman Vol. 2
Madman Vol. 3
Madman King-size Super Groovy Special
Madman and the Atomics Vol. 1
Madman Atomic Comics Volume 1
Madman Atomic Comics Volume 2
Madman Atomic Comics Volume 3
Red Rocket
The Atomics: Spaced Out and Grounded in Snap City
The Superman/Madman Hullabaloo!
Madman Boogaloo!
Madman 20th Anniversary Monster
All New Giant-Size Super Ginchy Special!

X-Statix is amazing and well worth a read.
Solo has a great story by him in it
Wolverine and the X-men #17 has an amazing Doop story in it.
Izombie is not that great storywise but artwise its amazing.
Daredevil Volume 3 17 has a great story written by Mark Waid and drawn by him
Sandman 54 has the PREZ
FF volume 2 is just fun.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 18, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I like nice long runs I can read a few issues of before bed every couple of days.

The sale they had on Ultimate Spider-Man on Comixology not too long ago was perfect, since that was like 200 issues of stuff. I know nothing else from DC or Marvel is going to have that long a run, but something that can occupy a few weeks would be good.

Spider-Man or X-Men would be cool, I have plenty of Avengers stuff. Really anything from DC works too since the only thing from there I've read in a long time was Johns' Green Lantern up to around Brightest Day.

Chris Claremont's run on x-men. He did uncanny x-men 94-280, x-men 1-3, wolverine mini series and start of his solo run, Excalibur, new mutants, and a poo poo load of x related minis. Just do not read anything by him post 92

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Has Marvel done anything comparable to DC's Gotham Central?

I know dick all about comics, but I know the following:

1) I enjoyed Gotham Central. I liked that it didn't shy from being bleak but in ways that were relatable to the everyday human condition. When you feel like maybe it'd be better if Batman didn't intervene somewhere and instead the ugly alternative played out and you have to question your commitment to certain fundamental values, that's pretty cool.

2) Meanwhile the standard that I see in comics and especially if I'm looking to get into the giant stable of Marvel dudes is "and then so and so went to space and resurrected a baby villain from an alternate dimension and sent him back in time."

So if there's something fairly street level, grounded in reality and not terribly eyerolling, I'd be curious. I read a little of the 2006 Moon Knight and it was probably the upper limit I could handle on eyerolling stuff. I saw just a tiny bit in the forums of what I guess is the new run and it looked kinda cool? It doesn't have to be Batman or "Marvel Presents Psychotic Batman in White." I'm also into con artists, politics, spies, conspiracies, assassins, terrorists, heists -- just stuff that adds a bit of the fantastical to reality rather than time-traveling robot demons.

Alias and Bendis and Bru Daredevil

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Seymour Butts posted:

Hey guys!

I'm looking for some Marvel tpb's that are COSMIC (!!!) in nature. I mostly want brilliant artwork on a grand scale, but it wouldn't hurt if there was a decent story that involved Galactus or some Cellestials. What should I get?

Fantastic Four 48-51, annihilation, annihilation conquest, nova, guardians of the galaxy, infinity gauntlet, way of kings, realm of kings, Thanos Imperative.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Uthor posted:

He worked on Batman, Detective Comics, and Elektra before Wonder Woman and the very well regarded Batwoman work in Detective Comics after.

He also wrote Superman and Action Comics. He also had a pretty great Wolverine run. I think he is one of the few who has written a bat book, Superman book, and Wonder Woman.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

/\/\/\ its very progressive - we shouldnt be so quick to judge women who work in the sex industry. Being a super heroine doesnt pay well so she gotta earn an honest living.

She has her son/husband that she needs to take care of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dubs posted:

I've read a bunch of it, but felt like I was jumping into the deep end a bit. Is there a better start point/origin for Fantomex? Doesn't worry me if it' lovely writing, or just suck it up and forget origin stuff and jump in?

New X-men by Morrison.