Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ror posted:

Man, I have so much freaking Fantastic Four to read. I was never that into them (the classic Galactus trilogy is the only time I've read a FF title), but the more I read about the MU the more interested I get, especially catching up with a bunch of the Marvel NOW titles like New Avengers.

So far, I have #60-524, the Waid/Wieringo run, then the Hickman run from #570-611 (and also the 23-issue FF series), then I guess the short NOW Matt Fraction F4/FF run (I haven't read as much lavish praise for this one), and finally the newest 2014 NOW run (which I know absolutely nothing about but I'm pretty much reading all of the semi-decent NOW titles now). Is that all pretty solid? Before I got into Marvel NOW the Waid run was the only thing on my list, but now the Hickman run is really what I'm most interested in. Can I start there and go back to Waid later? It looked like there was some decent talent rotating in and out during the gap from 524-570 too, but I'm inclined to skip them for now if they're not vital to any plot developments.

Waid's run is really awesome and work a read. The Hickman is also great. I would say that you should read Waid's run first as their is a relationship that seems to go backwards if you start with Hickman. The runs inbetween them are not worth it, and the Fraction and Robinson are nothing special. However, Fraction's FF run is awesome and well worth a read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I am a huge fan of Jeff Lemire and how is his Justice League Dark and the following writer?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

For the last time comic book creators: Dinosaurs are not a credible threat to superheroes.

They are to losers!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

How can you forget Southern Bastards? It just started and its really really good. Its Jason Aaron writing a love/hate letter to the south.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Yeah I just read Essex County it is really really fucken good. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to read a good non capes book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

What are the highlights of the Wally West flash run? Comixology is having a sale on all of it, and I want to read some great Wally. I have already gotten Return of Barry Allan.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I've seen Ultron Unlimited being recommended here before as one of the best Ultron stories, but I just have issues with Busiek's Avengers run in general (in that I hate it), but I gave it a shot and it didn't do much for me regardless.

Why do you hate it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Green Arrow 17-34 by Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino is the one run you want.

It's close in tone to the series and also introduces characters like Diggle over to the DC Universe proper and is is partly focused around Ollie's time on ~the island~. The show has also original characters from the book appear and the Meryln/Thea stuff mirrors a lot of what is done with Komodo and Emico in the book.

It's also a really good run.

I just want to point out you would also want to read the Green Arrow Future's End issue. Its a good capstone on the run.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

hadji murad posted:

What's the reasoning for the dislike of Kevin Smith's Daredevil again. Had an urge to read it and need to be talked off the ledge.

e: starting a reread of the character

Its really remember that great spider-man/Daredevil story? Here it is again!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Vorik posted:

Thank you. I went and bought the New Warriors Classic vol 1 over at comixology and enjoyed it. Really sucks that they only have a volume worth of material out in digital right now.

The New Warriors comics that is ending this month is also really really good. Its fun and has two of the best new characters of the year.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dunbar posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations but I'm not really sure how to describe what I'm looking for. I'd like to read a series that is similar to something like a Hong Kong action flick or Sleeping Dogs the video game, if that makes any sense. I just read the 4 issue Deadly Hands of Kung Fu from earlier this year and really liked it - wish it had been much longer. That or the old school Wolverine in Japan books would be good examples of what I'm looking for.

Does anything like this even exist?

Iron Fist by Fraction.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I can't remember the issues, but there's an arc in Bendis's Daredevil where he's fighting the Yakuza in New York. And that issue of Planetary with the ghost cop in Hong Kong, I'm on a tablet so looking it up is hard, but I'm sure someone else can pinpoint it.

Daredevil 56-60

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Anti-Monitor did show up on the last page of the last big crossover event, Forever Evil, and that's stoking rumor because he was originally the big villain in the 1985 event Crisis on Infinite Earths, which was DC's first major line-wide continuity shift.

Also it will be the 30th anniversary of it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

If you haven't, check out Animal Man and Dial H for some things in the N52 that's a bit outside of the Justice League.

After you read Animal Man start Justice League United.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Are any of the Tick comics good? I remember watching the cartoon as a kid and liking the world and the weird heroes.

Yes get the edlund. If you recognize the name he is responcible for the funny and great episodes of Angel and Supernatural.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 1, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Begby posted:

I mostly read hellboy, atomic robo, and the walking dead, and old rear end conan stuff....

Awhile ago I read the joss whedon run on Astonishing x-men and really liked it. Are there any other really good reads in the realm of x-men? I haven't read any other issues of x-men whatsoever. Really liked the last two movies though.

Wolverine and the X-men and X-men Legacy. Uncanny X-force v.1 is also great. The current X-force is also really good. You might also like Madman.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I don't know if it's collected in a trade, but I really liked the first arc of Superman in One Year Later. Oh yeah, It's A Bird is heart rending, it doesn't star Superman, but it's definitely about him. Grant Morrison's run on Action Comics for the New 52 is also great.

Here it is http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Up-A...d+away+superman

Geoff Johns up to New Krypton is really good and his new run is also good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

teraflame posted:

I'm interested in reading about Galactus. What are the best written comics that feature him prominently? I haven't read any superhero stuff outside of some batman/superman.

Fantastic Four 48-51! Then Hickman's run.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Peak Charles Soule recommendations?

Swamp Thing 19 to the end which is coming in March.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Early in Bendis' Daredevil run for sure, but I don't have the TPBs with the issue numbers in front of me.

Daredevil 41-45

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

There are very few bad Hellblazer runs, so you're pretty safe no matter what trade you pick up.

Unless it's Azzarello or Diggle.

That is not true. The only bad one is Denise Mina

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Did one of them do the story where the antichrist was going to be born out of some dude's rear end in a top hat to mock the birth of Christ? That one was terrible.

There was another one I thought was bad as well, when he was going to a gay sex club or something, I think that was Azzarello.

That was Ennis. The storyline was Son of Man

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

I thought he started earlier than that, but clearly I'm wrong.

You might have seen other trades included the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby stuff and assumed it was all him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

semicolonsrock posted:

Looking for recommendations!

I've recently read and enjoyed: Saga, Rat Queens, Chew, Sex Criminals, and Nowhere Men (in roughly that order of appreciation). What other comics should I read to get more of the same?

Caveat: sadly, I've read all of Brian Vaughan's work already, as well as Fables.

e: Looking at the Eisner awards list for inspiration, it looks like I've unknowingly (maybe not surprisingly) read most of the winners in writing/continuing/new series already. :(

Madman.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I kinda want to read Lemire's Green Arrow.

Is there anything I should know before I dive in? I know next to nothing about DC outside of what one might gather via some Batman and Superman movies and occasionally hearing friends mention weird/dumb poo poo they're mad about (and skimming DC-related posts in BSS).

Nope It is pretty self contained.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Second thing I am looking for is something to fill the void of Saga as I wait for the next TPB, I like it (and similarly Sandman) because of the crazy world building, awesome character cast (and queer inclusive cast), and amazing artwork (Fionna Staples).
Suggestions on either front would be much appreciated!

Madman!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

The second Dr. Doom story it becomes canon that The Thing is Blackbeard.

I think you mean first Doom story :doom:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jamie Madrox: I want to say I've heard there is some good series starring him - Madox miniseries then following X-factor series.
Venom - The series with Flash and written by Rick Remender
Ed Brubaker's Captain America up until the Civil War where I stopped (Is there a place to pick that pack up again?)- yeah the rest of the run should be on there and its awesome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Billy Gnosis posted:

Thanks. If I stick with just titles called "Captain America" will I still be able to follow the civil war plot without getting bogged down in it? (Even with marvel unlimited I find myself not wanting to deal with events baggage and stupidity. Though I liked the Captain America House of M issue surprisingly)

Captain America's Civil War tie ins are sort of tied in but they are also doing their own thing. You do not need to read the main title.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

So Fables is ending and I took Morning Glories off of my pull list because it was going nowhere. Looking for one or two to replace them.

My current pull list:
Saga
BPRD
The Walking Dead
Chew

Other favorites:
BKV stuff
Locke and Key

So yeah I guess I like Image and Vertigo for the most part. I'm not interested in superheroes but I like funny, adventure, sci-fi, and horror. I was reading Conan for a bit and it varied wildly between good and bad.

Madman and red rocket 7

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Circutron posted:

So before Secret Wars hits, I want to read through everything involving the incursions arc that Hickman's been writing. Should I start with his Avengers and New Avengers run, or do I need to go back and start with Infinity? In general, I think out of everything I'm interested in seeing Black Panther's perspective on the whole situation, seeing as how it's been described to me that he's almost the main character of the whole situation, so any tie-ins from other series involving him from more recent arcs as well would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Just his Avengers and New Avengers run as Infinity is part of it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sion posted:

Okay so what would you recommend?

Madman!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So I'm looking for something fairly specific, and that's a series that ends at a logical point. I've read a bunch of series like this: Preacher, Y:the Last man, Deus Ex Machina, Starman, Transmetropolitan, 100 Bullets, Scott Pilgrim,Sandman, Hitman, Planetary, the Invisibles. Couple caveats: I will not read Cerebus. And I'd rather avoid series that were cancelled despite being good reads (i.e. Aztek, which I've heard nice things about).

Also, is Grant morrison's Doom Patrol more accessible than the Invisibles?

Lucifer, Unwritten, Shade the Changing man

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Unwritten and Shade I deffo have to get on, I forgot to include I'm currently plowing through Lucifer. Is Shade readily available?

They have three trades, and the rest can be found on comixology.

If you want a comic that had a definite ending point and then kept going Fables would be it. Its also crap.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Scalped is really good and it fits in with what you are looking for.
Animal Man by Morrison
Question by O'neil
Hellboy (still going but has an end date)
BPRD (same)
The Fourth World

If you like Preacher Hellblazer is another one that ended, however if has multiple writers mostly really good, some bad, and Denise Mina.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

dragon_pamcake posted:

I love Geoff John's Booster Gold run and the original Justice League International trades. What other issues and series have awesome Booster Gold and Blue Beetle adventures? Good solo adventures of either of these characters are also welcome.

The original Booster Gold run, Countdown to Infinite Crisis, Blue Beetle (2006), Formerly Known as the Justice League, and JLA Classified #4–9

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Earth X is cool and has some interesting ideas but Paradise and Universe get bit wonky.

Do you like the idea of Nightcrawler is Belasco? Colossus is Mr. Sinister?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Where should I start to get up to date on the current Flash story? The show has me loving the character again. The last thing I read was Rebirth.

The first Mark Waid and Johns run. They had second runs, but are subpar compared to their first. Also the Manapul run.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Apparently the book currently blows and the creative team is going forward in July, so maybe don't get too interested in getting caught up to that. Don't fill in the gaps after Rebirth with Flashpoint or anything.

It is currently so so slow. It makes you feel Bendis is going fast at his most decompressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ragequit posted:

Fantasty/Sci-fi generally, when it comes to reading books. Kickin' rad dudes/girls doing kickin' rad things. I am not opposed to DC/Marvel characters. I just haven't been exposed to the new stuff past Spiderman/Batman/Superman.

Madman and Red Rocket 7.