Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Top Shelf recently put Eddie Campbell's Bacchus up in digital form (there was supposed to be an omni a couple years ago but it never materialized) and I'm wondering if anyone has read it and would or would not suggest it? I think his art is fine, and of what I've read of it, sorta enjoyed Alec but found it dawdling (maybe it got more interesting later), but since that was autobiographical and I can't think of other stuff of his I've read then I'm in the dark if I want to throw down the $40 for the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

wagnike2 posted:

If I consider Chew one of my favorite things that I've read, is there anything else that is just as insane/up this alley?

Archer & Armstrong
Quantum & Woody
Manhattan Projects

What you like about Chew would probably help because I don't think it's particularly "insane" for a comic book.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I was entertained by the Millar run and think it's worth reading if only for the setup of plot bits in Hickman's run.

I thought the Fraction run was so-so. There are certainly worse things to read, but also better. I think both his F4 and FF cratered near the end when everything suddenly compressed to finish the runs after Fraction left but on the whole FF was fun.

I will second reading the Lee/Kirby stuff. It is good.

Definitely read the Waid run prior to Hickman. Also, another benefit of reading the Millar run is that it kinda tones down Doom between the Waid/Hickman runs because Waid's Doom is iirc an unforgivable monster.

One of these days I'll read the Byrne run which is supposed to be really good (I haven't checked to see if it's on Unlimited).

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Teenage Fansub posted:

and from Charles Burns there's a graphic novel trilogy he's currently on which has two parts out starting with X'ed Out.
It's finished, Sugar Skull came out a week or so ago. I'm going to reread from the beginning because I can barely remember what happened in The Hive let alone X'ed.

Other GNs I have enjoyed and think might make lists:
early addendum: some of the following are in the Top Shelf sale which ends in an hour.

Heck - Zander Cannon - A modern guy travels into Dante's hell as a service.
Box Office Poison/Tricked/Too Cool to be Forgotten - Alex Robinson - slice of life stuff. Too Cool has a bit of fantasy but not much.
Mind MGMT - Matt Kindt - Still ongoing and technically superheroes in a very loose sense but basically spies with powers. I'm not sure if there's another point but there are elements within the trades that... assault the reader. Go in blind. Also Super Spy by Kindt (short stories about WW2 spies) is really good.
March Book 1 (book 2 soonish) - John Lewis/his Aide/Nate Powell - true story of the civil rights movement.
Infinite Kung Fu - Kagan McLeod - it's like a bunch of 70s kung fu movies mashed together. Fantasy to the core and I thought the ending was rushed but a fun read.
Safe Area Gorazde - Joe Sacco - oral history of the Serbian genocide. He also wrote a similar book called Palestine which he's more famous for but I felt it was quite a bit weaker than SAG. Haven't read his recent book.
Criminal - Ed Brubaker - crime stories
The Frank Book - Jim Woodring - uhh.... great art, hard to explain.
American Splendor - Harvey Pekar - it's already on most lists so this is an easy pick.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

prefect posted:

Black Panther Vol. 1: The Client (Black Panther vol. 3, #1-5)
Black Panther Vol. 2: Enemy of the State (Black Panther vol. 3, #6-12)

Priest made the Panther so frickin' awesome that it had to be shut down. :(

Er, after 5 years and ~60 issues. I didn't care for the last chunk, though.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

A Strange Aeon posted:

Are there any must read underground comics from the 60s and 70s? I've picked up random (I'm assuming lesser) works by Crumb, whose art was great, but the writing didn't wow me.

That whole period is just sort of a blind spot in my reading knowledge (along with tons of world comics) so I wondered if there was good stuff there I've been missing out on.

I don't know how underground you mean so I'll go with Creepy, Eerie, etc if you want a sort of continuation of EC comics. At the end of the 70s Heavy Metal would be an obvious choice. I think Cerebus started around then, too?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

A Strange Aeon posted:

Maybe I have my terminology wrong. I was thinking of stuff more like The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and Robert Crumb's Zap. Are these "Hippie" comics, not underground? Everything I've read has these guys being inspired by Kurtzman and chiefly Mad magazine, and they always get a chapter in any comic history books with an anecdote about Robert Crumb selling Zap from a baby carriage in San Francisco, but I just find I haven't really read any of that stuff.

I picked up a book called Where Demented Wented which is this guy Rory Hayes's work, who is supposed to have been in the underground comics 'movement', but I don't find his work very interesting at all. Maybe my idea of this whole underground thing producing super important and interesting work just isn't borne out by reality?
Gotcha. While I haven't read this (I only have the 80s one) try:

http://www.amazon.com/Treasury-Mini-Comics-Michael-Dowers/dp/1606996576/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416173327&sr=8-1&keywords=fantagraphics+mini

I've read like 10 pages of the following (one of these days it'll make it into the bathroom) and it also seems like what you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Newave-Underground-Mini-Comix-1980s/dp/1606993135/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1GEYVMS290NK1QM59RKY

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

MisterShine posted:

So I just finished reading the Hickman run of Fantastic Four. I really found the Valeria/Doom angle interesting and would like to see more arcs involving Uncle Doom. Also how the hell did that even happen?

I've read very little FF in general, so any recommendations would be awesome

Generally speaking the highly regarded runs are:

Lee/Kirby
Byrne (I'll get around to cracking this omni someday)
Waid/Wieringo
Hickman

Millar/Hitch I thought was pretty entertaining and sets up a good bit of the Hickman run. If you read backwards to Waid it'll help ease you into Waid's Doom because Waid wrote Doom as a straight-up monster.
Fraction's FF was good and his F4 was ok, but both felt like Fraction stopped caring a few issues before the end.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Promethea by Moore
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (sorta) by Moore
Moore's Swamp Thing
Criminal by Brubaker
Sleeper by Brubaker
Fatale by Brubaker
Bendis' run on New Avengers (stop when Siege ends)
Ghost Rider by Aaron
Woverine & the X-men by Aaron, sorta
Fear Agent by Remender
Venom by Remender had imo a pretty logical stopping point
F4 by Hickman
Glory

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

karma_coma posted:

Ordered and I'll for sure check out the rest. Thanks man!

E: East of West looks great and so does Manhattan Projects so I ordered those as well. Fear Agent sounds hosed so I'll get that when I'm done with all this stuff coming. Thanks a ton g!

Those three books are great but they are not really like Crossed. If you want ridiculous gore and enjoyed Crossed post-Ennis I would suggest The Boys, Uber, Supergod, and the Ennis run on Stormwatch/The Authority.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Goatmask posted:

EDIT:
Thread, recommend me Acid Westerns. Think, El Topo. I have read Pretty Deadly.
East of West. Maybe Preacher. The Dark Tower comics seem pretty ok, at least the first two volumes, and since you've read the knockoff version you may as well read the source.

edit: maybe Infinite Kung-Fu.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 27, 2015

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Waterhaul posted:

Pretty Deadly is nothing like The Dark Tower, Multiversity is more of a knock off than Pretty Deadly. Pretty Deadly's first book just retains some of the western tone of it's original pitch.

The first few issues of PD that I read felt like KSD was trying to copy King's (and the comic's) goofy speaking style where everyone tries to sound prophetic/mystic, and I consider that style a major component of the Dark Tower comics. PD imo read like KSD read Dark Tower (and maybe Sandman) and chose to cater to the kind of reader who says/posts things like "sai" and "thankee" or whatever, and then did so really poorly. Rios single-handedly drags the book up to "ok" territory, much like how Lee pulls PAD's Dark Tower (which presumably has less wiggle room in writing) to "bit better than ok".

I think Hickman also kinda apes that style in East of West but tones it a bit down and the whole book revolves around prophecies, so it works a lot better, and in doing so makes PD read worse.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Goatmask posted:

Edit: I'm thinking there might be some Moebius colletction or something that has what I'm after? Only read The Incal.
Moebius had an actual western series called Blueberry but I've never read it and from descriptions I get the feeling it plays it straight. The best answer I can think of, but I don't know how you're going to accomplish this without more effort than it's probably worth, would be Heavy Metal Magazine from the 70s and early 80s (not sure after that). The line between western and fantasy gets really blurry in the stories but I'd say at least a couple of the serials were what you're looking for, although some of the stuff (Moebius in particular) seems either poorly translated or written for an audience that has a different set of reference points. Or maybe it's just poorly written. Or all three! That's definitely how I fell about a lot of Bilal's work.

On the sorta-plus side if you get enough into them you'll eventually get to read Steranko adapting the movie Outland (it's a space remake of High Noon) into a comic. Downside is that it's really wordy and from what I've read is almost a storyboard adaptation.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Mappo posted:

So I have been mostly clean of comics sense Secret Invasion. But the Darth Vader comic pulled me off the wagon and now I am filling out pull list and picking up previous issues.

Is there anything I need to pre-read for the big secret invasion event? I have absolutely no idea what is going on in the marvel universe besides the Falcon is Captain America.
If you mean Secret Wars/Battle World, you need to read Avengers and New Avengers. Also Infinity when that occurs. Some small elements of the main story are filled in elsewhere but aren't necessary. You may also want to read Hickman's run on F4 as it is great and also kinda feeds into the running story.

quote:

I really enjoyed the illuminati stuff and mini series. I know that Black Panther got them back together, is there a comic centered around them or are they just mentioned off hand in a few panels?
New Avengers is literally an Illuminati comic.

quote:

Is there a Punisher comic and is it any good? I loved Punisher MAX but I didn't enjoy the watered down Punisher War Journal that came after it.
The current run when I read some of it wasn't aggressively bad but it also wasn't worth reading unless you gotta have more Punisher. I don't know which Max run you're referring to but if it was the Ennis run you may want to give the Aaron run a shot, and vice-versa.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sturm posted:

My girlfriend recently read a book about the creator of Wonder Woman and wants to read some of the comics, she is not a comic book reader. She wants to read the originals by the guy, partially because of them being strongly pro-feminist. I've read old comics before, at least Marvel ones by Stan Lee and they aren't particularly good. You can skip pretty much 3/4 of the dialog.

Would you recommend the original run of Wonder Woman, is it similar to those old Marvel comics? If not, any particular runs that are strongly feminist leaning and good? I know there was a recent run that everybody praised that focused more on the Greek Pantheon.

I can't speak specifically for WW but if you think old Lee comics had a lot of pointless words then stuff older than that will break you because a lot of it is like reading a literal children's book in how it describes what's happening.

The Rucka run on WW is probably your best bet for "good". I'm not sure what defines a comic as specifically strongly feminist to you.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Syndic posted:

What's the best collected version of Jodorowsky's The Incal? There are so many drat variations (some censored, some with re-colored art, etc ) that I'm pretty darn confused as to which one is considered 'definitive'.

Are you trying to get a fancy print version or do you just want to read it? If the latter, comixology has, I think, the "correct" version. The whole thing was on sale a few weeks ago.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

trashbuilder posted:

The bendis one has a pretty hardcore girlfriend gets fridged moment, also it has that classic Bendis decompression that gives me a headache thinking about. It has some interesting ideas though.

the 06-09 one starts really grr grimdark (or at least I thought so) but gets a lot better, I'm also not a huge fan of the art in this one, but it is still pretty good.

Was that when Finch was on art? I couldn't get past that. Taskmaster looked like a literal zombie, it took me a while to recognize the costume and his dialogue didn't match the art at all.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

zoux posted:

At some point we just need to develop a "Here's what you read on MU" list.

I just wish the website was better for discovery. Whoever runs the MU system needs to hire an intern to just go through everything and put runs together so the website can say "complete run" or "if you want Character X books click this for everything in order". For example, they recently added a pile of the old Star Wars comics, and I think they added all of the original series, but god drat is it hard to make the website actually indicate that. I think the entire Waid/Weiringo run is ordered if you click on the "editor's picks" thing right now, but there should just be tons of those things, all ordered for new readers. If you want Dr. Strange you can search for Strange Tales and I think get most of the original series, but if you search for Dr. Strange the Strange Tales books don't appear.

Plus the website always seems slow as poo poo.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Panama Red posted:

Got Marvel Unlimited last week and been reading Hickman's run on Fantastic Four plus Christopher Priest's run on Black Panther. The former is really, really good, but not loving the latter despite the hype. The Ross character is more obnoxious than funny and T'Challa comes off as more Shaft than statesman. Hoping the Hudlin run lives up to expectations.

How far are you in BP? I thought it started ok but got progressively better right up until the final arc which I did not like at all.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

How is Kabuki? There are oversized hardcovers coming out and those are my weakness, but don't really know much about the series.

Also, does Usagi Yojimbo stay good throughout? I just started reading the deluxe edition that I bought a few years back and they've started collecting the books after that in collections, but I don't know if it crashes after vol 7 or not.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Senor Candle posted:

If you like David Mack I would at least check out the content of the first trade, I think that one at least is pretty solid. I can't really speak for the rest of the series though.

I'm fine with his art but outside of a few daredevil issues all he's written is Kabuki.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

I don't know where I read up to, but I got the big two-volume hardcover thing and I loved it all the way through.

(My problem is that I want matching sets to keep reading and I don't think there's been a follow-up to it.)

I think the recent "saga" collections follow the publishing order starting after the hardback collection we both have but I can't tell if the paperback versions are the same size.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The Berzerker posted:

I found something off-site that helped me figure out what to read in what order, I started with New Avengers #1 (Hickman) and went from there. I'm just getting into Infinity now, I'm somewhere around 2-3 issues into Infinity and I am reading some tie-ins as well. However, as a person who hasn't read any major Marvel titles since Civil War, I have SO MANY QUESTIONS. Such as:

Didn't Cap die during Civil War? How did he un-die? When did he and Stark get on the same side again?
Why does Jessica Jones hate Skrulls so much?

Lastly, are there any good Marvel stories I could catch up on that are a little... smaller? This whole 'outer space, 42 races I can't remember' stuff gets a little confusing. I couldn't tell you a Shi'ar Guard from a Thanos' dude from a Galactic Council member if you paid me. Hell, even within the Avengers I probably don't know who 2/3 of these people are. Carol Danvers flying into the sun, what arc was that? The last things I remember about Marvel were uh, The Sentry, and World War Hulk. I guess I stopped reading just before Secret Invasion (also I don't know what Secret Invasion was). I realize that BSS probably gets a lot of this so if you prefer to direct me to a clear wikipedia article or something that'd be cool too...

You might want to take further questions to the Q&A thread (since you're asking some "big" questions that lead to more questions) but:

Cap alive: He got shot with a time displacing bullet and was pulled out of the time stream, or something. Red Skull wanted Cap's body as a new host. It's all in Brubaker's run. Him being pals with Stark is more status-quo than anything.
Jessica vs Skrulls: IIRC during Secret Invasion they stole her baby or something.
Most of the events have really detailed wiki articles, just search for whatever.

Smaller-in--Marvel-Universe-scope recent stories: Planet Hulk (you mentioned WWH but I don't know if you had read PH)
Duggan's run on Deadpool (I think, haven't kept up since around #20)
Waid's Daredevil
Soule's She-Hulk
Wilson's Ms. Marvel
maybe Spurrier's X-Men Legacy
Hickman's Secret Warriors (this is both large and small but I think works as it's self-contained)
Fraction's Hawkeye.
Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man
Aaron's Thor God of Thunder (this is epic in scale but just about Thor, also super-excellent)
Aaron's Ghost Rider
Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist
If you want a large-scope but lots of more contained stories I'd start with Annihilation, find the Marvel Cosmic reading order, and follow that to the end.

I think Ms. Marvel is the only real ongoing of that bunch as DD is maybe "rebooting" a bit along with Deadpool. I would recommend a Marvel Unlimited subscription if you have a tablet and just read those and maybe some other longer runs like Brubaker Cap or Bendis/Brubaker DD or Gillen's Thor/Loki stuff or Hickman's Fantastic Four and just go from there. That should keep you busy for a while.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I don't pay much attention to the detail you want but Infinite Kung-Fu?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm not sure what is or isn't up on MU for Punisher but I'd recommend the following:

Ennis' "normal" run and his MAX run. Also read Fury if it's there, it counts because Castle is in it, also it's great.
Remender's run.
Punisher 2099 if it's there.
Maybe Rucka's run but I think it ended abruptly and what I read was just ok.
Punisher in Space, although I thought it was kinda dumb in a bad way the art's decent and some people really seem to like it.

Outside of that IMO it gets pretty hit or miss and the runs above will give you enough.

edit: also Aaron's run on Punisher Max, it kinda finishes the Ennis Max run.

edit2: skimming through the MU website I think the real answer is that you're going to have to buy everything because it looks like recent Punisher is really spotty on the MU.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 2, 2015

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hakkesshu posted:

American Vampire is great, and pretty easy to get into since it's just those 7 trades at the moment.

This is an excellent suggestion.

Lurdiak posted:

Marvel's Tomb of Dracula.
This is... excellent as a "later reading" suggestion, because most of ToD is pretty... Hammer? Not-Anne Rice.

I would also add 30 Days of Night given your preferences, and possibly Hellboy/BPRD as it does involve vampires at times.

If you are desperate you could consider Anita Blake, which I assume isn't complete garbage, and Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose, which is complete garbage (please report back if you read Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose).

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

X-statix by Milligan
Wolverine and the xmen by Aaron

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Norns posted:

My marvel background knowledge comes from the 90s cartoons. :gaz:

My plan is to check out a couple xmen runs. Then roll into Hickman's Avengers stuff. After that I'll start working down the list.

Thank you guys. My Instocktrades cart is massive.

Good solutions for shelving?

Whatever ikea replaced the Expedit line with.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Washout posted:

Is there even a name for the genre? Invincible, Authority, The Boys, Uber they all have this over the top interpretation of what super heroes would be like in the real world. Seems like just not very many titles.

Uber is totally fantastic though.

Irredeemable by Waid would be what you want. Maybe Supergods by Ellis.

Plus Miracleman.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

X-O posted:

Irredeemable is great stuff, not sure it's really like those books though. Anyway, everyone should read both it and Incorruptible as they are both fantastic. Especially Incorruptible.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Irredeemable close on the spectrum where Invincible and Authority exist, although I don't recall how gory it was (maybe around Authority? ). Uber is imo the one that's kinda off.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sex Criminals, Whiteout, Queen & Country, Promethea, maybe Fatale, Finder, Love & Rockets. If you want her to try cape books maybe start with Soule's She Hulk.

I will anti-recommend Strangers in Paradise (thought it was poor) and Rachel Rising (got to like issue 15 and nothing was happening, characters are morons).

"Characters are morons" applies to Revival too, although what I read at least spun its wheels a bit less.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 15, 2015

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'll throw in Lazarus (maybe), Trees, Orbiter (this is a bit old). If you're ok with "less hard" but still pretty sci-fi I will add Prophet, Black Science, and Fear Agent (this is about the low end of "hard").

Saga is a terrible suggestion for hard sci-fi but it is a decent book.

There are other books that are relatively hard sci-fi but they are also IMO not very good like Roche Limit, and to be honest I might toss Trees into this pile as well.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Washout posted:

What else out there is like hellblazer and swamp thing? Moody anti heroes and the world is all shades of grey.

Go to Amazon and type "Warren Ellis". Also maybe "Garth Ennis".

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

I really enjoyed Gotham Central and the first volume of Powers (I'll probably pick the rest up at some point), are there any other books about regular people dealing with all the bullshit caused by super-antics?

I have read The Boys which kind of fit this to a degree but after that and Punisher MAX I'm completely burnt out on Garth Ennis' penchant for 'wacky' ultra-violence and writing endlessly about the loving IRA, so no more Ennis if possible.

Damage Control seems like the somewhat obvious answer although I haven't read it so it may be bad.

The "regular people" part makes it tough because I kinda want to recommend Top 10, Marshal Law, Irredeemable, Incorruptible, and maybe Incognito. I feel there's something obvious I'm forgetting so hopefully someone else will have better suggestions.

Marvels has a somewhat similar perspective although very different point, and parts of Astro City would meet this.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 6, 2015

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

zoux posted:

What's the famous one about the birth of the Comics Code?

10 cent plague?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Uthor posted:

Seems like you get all of Irredeemable with the current Humble Boom Studios Bundle. Does it stand on its own or do you need to read any Incorruptable along with it? I'm not interested enough to go out of my way and get even more books.

Stands on its own.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I got to about issue 12 or so but quit because it felt like it was spinning its wheels and dragging out the mystery for no reason. Also, without getting into TACTICAL REALISM, I get annoyed by books where I don't feel the characters are appropriately reacting to the enormity of the situation, particularly when they act incurious (and it's a bit more ridiculous given the town is quarantined by... FEMA?). I figure when it's done I might give it another shot.

Rachel Rising has the same problem except the characters act even less interested and after at least 16 issues where nothing was really happening I quit. Also they made the bald guy a sorta-creepy weirdo and as a bald weirdo I don't care for books where the bald weirdo also winds up sorta-creepy.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

trashbuilder posted:

Maybe you guys can help me with this, a long time ago I got a graphic novel out of the liabrary, it was very thick like 1000 pages and about half a page in size. It tells the story of a family going to a beach home for the weekend and one character is an adopted teenager who has a frog face otherwise everyone looks normal. The art style is very simple with just clean lines in black and white. There is a scene where the frog kid masturbates that is very sad. What is this book I want to re-read it as it has stuck with me for 10 years. I know I saw it on some best of lists that year too.

Help! even though I know BSS traffics in more mainstream affairs.

By half a page you mean sized kinda like Manga or more like a weird shape akin to Heck or Maakies?

Edit: was it Tarot, Witch of the Black Rose?

Edit2: apparently not.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 27, 2016

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

It contains bees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Prophet (it's scifi but so removed from reality it's basically space fantasy)
Warlord (old DC comic)
Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose (this may be closer to horror, witches/ghosts/vampires)
Elfquest (I assume)
Manifest Destiny (Lewis & Clark meet horror)
Sixth Gun (western/fantasy)