Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I want to pick up some new Marvel trades and I'm not sure what to get. I'm getting Captain Marvel and Hawkeye because I heard good things about them. I read Captain America Winter Solder and liked that. I also love how the recent Marvel Movies embrace how goofy and weird their world is and doesn't even attempt to be The Dark Knight. Are their any other marvel characters you guys reccomend?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Is there anything out there similar to Firefly or have the feel of an old Spaghetti Western but set in a different place? Like Inglorius Bastards was a Western set in Nazi Occupied France?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm currently loving Morrison's Nameless. https://www.comixology.com/Nameless/comics-series/34762?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI
It's a little tough going though. Being about some sort of dreamscape PI investigating a psychic satanic asteroid, it's not the most straight forward storytelling.

:swoon: Thank you for pointing this out. Grant Morrison on something original? gently caress YES! No need to buckle up, because where were going we don't need seatbelts.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I got caught up on Grant Morrison's Nameless. It is Morrison as gently caress and I love it, can't wait for more. It's a mashup of Armageddon and Event Horizon mixed in with occult and reality warping that only he really understands. It might seem dense and :psyduck: as hell but honestly if you have EVER read any of Morrison's other stuff, Superhero or no, this isn't that hard to follow. A lot of the same ideas he plays with in other places are here.

This reminds me that I never got that far into The Invisibles. I gotta fix that.

Also, heres something I was thinking about. If you wanted to introduce someone to Grant Morrison's stuff, what would you recommend?

Also, I wanna give a recommend to Southern Cross. Another horror in space book. More of a mystery and a whodunit than the cosmic horror in Nameless.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

How has Wonder Woman been since Azzarello left?
How has Scott Snyder's Batman been, I haven't read it in a while.

Basically I want to give DC comics another chance and wanted to know what's good and whats worth catching up on.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Thanks, I'll give them a shot. I'm going to a Con this afternoon for the weekend and I needed some ideas of what to grab.

I'll admit though, I'm hesitant to grab Superman/Wonder Woman. Those two as a couple is one of those ideas DC pulls out every few years and I don't think it ever worked.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I was wondering if anyone here subscribes to Heavy Metal? I was thinking of doing it after hearing Grant Morrison is going to be the new editor in chief.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah don't do this. Just read each series one at a time. If your doing Superman, then All Star is your first stop. I would say go ahead with his Batman run but I feel like I shouldn't recommend that to new readers. That book gets weird at certain points. (RIP, The Return of Bruce Wayne, Final Crisis. Is it weird that I count Final Crisis as part of his Batman run?) If you were going to do it, maybe read 52 first?

Speaking of Grant Morrison, I did recently read Nameless. This was a horror book he did for Image and it's Morrison as gently caress. Picture Event Horizon meets Armageddon meets Inception. He basically wanted to do a Cthulhu mythos story without using Cthulhu. I enjoyed it but it is really confusing. A lot of obscure magic symbolism, to the point where I would say its the kind of book you pick up if you are a HUGE fan of that writer. Great, creepy, disturbing artwork though, especially when you start getting into the psyche of the aliens. (Best way I can describe that without spoilers.

Also, I signed up for Comic Bento. Get four random comics for 20 bucks. First one I read was called Surface Tension by Jay Gunn.

Surface Tension posted:

Months ago, 99% of humanity walked into the sea and dissolved. When two people are washed up on the beach of the tiny island of Breith - Their biology completely rewritten - the survivors of Breith are thrown into chaos. Are they our last hope or our executioners?

So a Post apocalyptic, environmental message book. It was alright. A little preachy to the end but a enjoyable read. Something I would never have picked up on my own though.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

What Silver age Wonder Woman stories are worth reading? It doesn't have to be GOOD stories, but stuff that tells you how she was utilized in the 60-70s. Besides the era where she was a Charlie's Angel.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Her TV show has been on my to do list for awhile now.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I would say Bitch Planet is a must read. DeConnick's writing for it is just so angry and it's awesome. If you did a literary analysis of it it would be just "gently caress You"

Edit: There is a trade of it available, but I would say go track down the single issues or get them off Comixology. The essays in the back of each issue are worth reading but not included with the trade. For cost reasons I think.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

You know I keep hearing that Archie Comics has been killing it lately. Are they actualy putting out good stuff or is it just "Lol Archie is now playing with zombies?" kind of stuff.

If they are good. Places to start?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Garth Ennis's Punisher MAX run. Yea or Ney?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 30, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Batman and Robin was good? I have the first volume but never read it. The idea of Batman actually dealing with that he has a son now is something I want to read. Oddly enough it's never delt with in Batman Inc.

Speaking of which, yeah, If you want to read Batman Inc, you have to start at square one of Morrison's Batman run. I think there is a one volume trade that has everything up to Batman RIP. But, as I said before, that run is AP Batman.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I recently read and really enjoyed Superman Birthright.

Are there any good longer Superman runs that build off a similar classic superman feel without going into insane reign of superman type stuff?

All-Star Superman.

Always All Star Superman.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So thanks to Birds of Prey im now on a Harley Quin kick again. Currently watching the new cartoon, but I was hoping to read some Harley comics. So I decided to give the Rebirth Harley comics a shot and HOLY poo poo! I forgot how bad Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner are at writing Harley during the New 52. Everything involving her just feels so disconnected from the rest of the DC Universe and were just taking a wacky character and her crazy friends through these zany adventures. I had to stop after I got to Harley joining a punk Rock band, because why not.

So what are some GOOD Harley Quinn books out there to read? Or maybe something that captures the same "Be Gay, Do Crimes" spirit of Harley Quinn, especially with their relationship with Poison Ivy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Nevermind, I thought it was a joke.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 13, 2020