Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I really dug Invincible when it first came out and went on to read through the first compendium. Now I am halfway through the second and this series seems to have lost its luster. Does it continue to go downhill? I know it is a common comic book trope but it seems like Kirkman has some favorite villains and no matter how bad they get trashed they will be back within two story arcs. What started out pretty fun and violent now just tries to be more X treme each fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I just bought Zero to pad an order for free shipping and holy poo poo it is pretty good. I hadn't heard anything about it before. Definitely pick it up if you like super spy stuff. I had just finished up the first three volumes of Queen and Country as well as GI Joe the Last Laugh and this fit in perfectly. Then you get that crazy last page...

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

So I have the three Brubaker Captain America Omnis and it seems unlikely that a fourth is coming out. What trades do I need to complete the run?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Two Americas
No Escape
The Trial of Captain America
Prisoner of War

Then there's two trades of 'Captain America and Bucky', four trades of Vol. 6 and the 'Steve Rogers: Super Soldier' miniseries

Wow. That's a lot of books. All of them worth reading?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Planetary is also a good option.

Planetary rules. You can pick up the omnibus for under fifty bucks. I never really read Transmetro as a sci-fi story, it just happened to be set in a crazy sci-fi future. Not Ellis but Prophet and Manhattan Projects are two of the best ongoing science fiction books going on right now. Also I just read the Walter Simonson Alien adaptation and it was awesome even though I have seen the movie a million times.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Endless Mike posted:

Hellboy and BPRD are both collected in hardcovers, though the early Hellboy ones may be going out of print.

Why would you say they are going out of print? They seem pretty readily available at the usual places. They are beautiful books and can be had pretty cheep. I wish the next BPRD HC would come out already. I burn through those things so fast.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Endless Mike posted:

Hm, seems you're right. For some reason, I thought that was a thing that was happening.

So yeah, grab those Hellboy Library Editions! $30 or for good comics!

The Usagi books are going out of print to make room for the new omnibus format. Maybe you were thinkin' of those.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Metal Loaf posted:

Are Dark Horse producing omnibus editions of the Usagi books they've published? I think Fantagraphics have done so for the stuff they've got the right to (but I'm not sure), but I've been put off going further than the end of the Fantagraphics run because so many of the DH trades seem to be pretty hard to find for a reasonable price.

Books 1-7 are Fantagraphics who did put out a limited edition hardcover slipcase. It is awesome but they have said they have no plans to reprint it. The soft covers are still readily available. The Dark Horse run is being collected in the smaller omnibus size which I think sucks (like the Aliens books). Each book will probable collect 3 or so of the trades.

I have never understood Dark Horse's book sizing.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 14, 2014

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I want to check out Grant Morrison's DC stuff because it seems like it is coming to a head with Multiversity. Is there a good way to do it on the cheap? What can I skip? Looking at the list it seems like hundreds of dollars, with all the JLAs, Batmans, Supermans...

Also. Never been a DC guy but I like Morrison. Doom Patrol, Animal Man and All Star Superman are some of my favorites.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd do Seven Soldiers into Final Crisis (especially FC:Superman Beyond) into Action Comics (specifically #9).

Seven Soldiers is structured very similarly to Multiversity with opening and closing chapters and individual comics in between that meet at the end (though in this case they're seven four issue miniseries)

A small part of that sets up the Darkseid situation in Final Crisis. There's a tie-in to Final Crisis called Superman Beyond (included in the collection), which is all about Multiverse Bleed Space, Monitors and Limbo which are present in the Multiversity map, as well as Superman working with a pile of alternate world Supermen. At the end of Final Crisis we meet the black president Superman of Earth 23 who's on Multiversity #1's cover.

Action Comics #9 stars Black President Superman in a fairly stand alone issue.

It's hard to say what's most crucial. Seven Soldiers has the whole mini/maxi compartmentalized thing going on, and all of the miniseries tell their own fun stories, but it's thirty issues or two trades worth. Superman Beyond has all of the multiverse toys he's likely to play with, but compressed into two issues it's some crazy, heady stuff.

There'll probably be a huge GMo comixology sale the week of Multiversity #1.

e: If you haven't, reading Watchmen and looking up the circumstances of it's creation on Wikipedia should give some appreciation of one of the Multiversity issue that's going to be a tribute.

I just finished 7 Soldiers and dug it. Right now I am looking at maybe getting the DC One Million and 52 omniboo. Then perhaps diving into the Batman stuff but that is a bit intimidating. I read Final Crisis when it came out and thought it was good.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

PaulDirac posted:

So I recently re-read "Blacksad" and it left me craving for more. What im looking for is something that has a similar atmosphere and/or a similar art style.

I think a new volume of Blacksad is coming out in October. If you like noir, then Criminal is pretty awesome but Sean Philips' art style is more minimalist. I would also recommend the Parker adaptations by Darwin Cooke. Again, a very different art style but the noir element is there.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

MrCompson posted:

I'll check this out if I can get my hands on it. It doesn't seem to be available digitally and the physical copies seem pretty scarce/expensive/overpriced on amazon and ebay. I'm pretty poor though (grad school :argh:), so unless I can find someone to loan it to me or find it digitally it's probably out of the question for now.

I think I might have the first TPB of Lucifer lying around somewhere, but I don't think I ever read it. I'll check it out for sure, though.

These both seem like they're right up my alley.

I read V for Vendetta and Transmetropolitan in high school. I loved V for Vendetta, but I didn't really like Transmetropolitan for reasons I can't remember. I might revisit it. I'll definitely look into Hitman, Grendel and Starman, though.

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone. Feel free to pile on more, though. :toot:

Lucifer is pretty amazing. I just finished the last trade of the re- release and it is one of those books you wish could go on but are just glad it exists as it is. I Kill Giants is great. Read it around the time that I read Daytripper. Have Kleenexes handy for both. DMZ starts out pretty good. I haven't finished it yet though. Sweet Tooth?

Edit:

You can get the Parker Martini Edition for pretty cheap used. I recommend this to everyone. Huge slipcased hardcover that you can grab for around $30? Its a steal.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 3, 2015

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

So I bought the Transformers Humble Bundle and started reading MTMTE vol.1. Are all of the comics this OCD? It seems like very two pages they switch scenes and characters and more than once I have gone back to see if I missed something. It also references past books a lot and all the spiky transformers look the same but pallet swapped. I am confused and apparently racist against Cybertronians.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Is the Multiversity HC that just came out self contained or do I need a bunch of tie ins. Piecing together the reading order for Morrison's Batman run was a bit much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I've been re reading Hellboy these last couple weeks. Wondering if the prose novels are any good?