Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

semicolonsrock posted:

Looking for recommendations!

I've recently read and enjoyed: Saga, Rat Queens, Chew, Sex Criminals, and Nowhere Men (in roughly that order of appreciation). What other comics should I read to get more of the same?

Caveat: sadly, I've read all of Brian Vaughan's work already, as well as Fables.

e: Looking at the Eisner awards list for inspiration, it looks like I've unknowingly (maybe not surprisingly) read most of the winners in writing/continuing/new series already. :(

Check out Manhattan Projects it's more crazy science stuff like Nowhere Men, very different style though. The writer of Nowhere Men just started a new series called They Are Not Like Us and the first issue came out last week so maybe pick that up.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The current Bendis stuff is very new reader friendly and probably what they expected people to go to when the movie came out. I would give her those before you get into the older stuff.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Infinity is just a part of Avengers/New Avengers. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kXN9H4EYsw8c_QeDdSdemJioWeAqXAnznwTtPGUoBmE/edit#gid=0 Here is a reading order courtesy of redbackground

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

I've been catching up with Avengers by Jonathan Hickman (just finished Infinity) but not liking the bad pacing and poor character work; I find it reads like a movie trailer of itself. Maybe New Avengers is better about this?

Avengers and New Avengers are meant to be read together! Did you read any New Avengers during Infinity?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

After you finish Morrison's New X-Men you should try Uncanny X-Force, it is a really good and stylish story that rides his concepts extremely well.
Secret Avengers by Warren Ellis is very short (6 issues I think), but it is a great team comic.
To be clear I'm sure he's talking about Remender's Uncanny X-Force, not Humpries

Cyphoderus posted:

I read the Infinity issues of New Avengers, but not the entire thing. Are they supposed to be read together at all times?

Pretty much! There is a reading order posted a ways up in this thread.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 23, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

MrCompson posted:

I'll check this out if I can get my hands on it. It doesn't seem to be available digitally and the physical copies seem pretty scarce/expensive/overpriced on amazon and ebay. I'm pretty poor though (grad school :argh:), so unless I can find someone to loan it to me or find it digitally it's probably out of the question for now.

Huhhuhhuhuhh
I'm really hoping Vol 1 comes back into print soon, it's been out of print for years. You can get the rest of them here for a reasonable price.
http://www.instocktrades.com/search/question
Also don't worry about the first volume, I went a long time without it and the rest of the series is worth reading anyways.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 2, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Fantasty/Sci-fi generally, when it comes to reading books. Kickin' rad dudes/girls doing kickin' rad things. I am not opposed to DC/Marvel characters. I just haven't been exposed to the new stuff past Spiderman/Batman/Superman.

I would also recommend Saga, just start at #1! Another thing you might like is East of West by Hickman & Dragotta. It's a sci-fi western featuring one of the four horseman rebelling and generally shooting a bunch of people in the face.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah what is your prob with Scott Pilgrim?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Do you want to know what my problem with it is? :D

No I remember your posts about it!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

prefect posted:

My memory is coming back and I agree with everybody who says that it was a bad series. Cyclops's eyebeams are kinetic, not fiery. :spergin:

(Also, Cyclops cannot use his eyebeams for welding, so gently caress the 9/11 comic book.)

Eyebeams can't melt steel beams.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Chinggis Khan by Yokoyama Mitsuteru is a manga about Chinggis Khan and is fully translated.

Too bad they forgot to translate the title.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Grawl posted:

I've only read (the first 200 or so) issues of Spawn. In the Marvel galaxy, I guess Spiderman and X-men.

If you like Spider-man read Ultimate Spider-man. It's real good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Zachack posted:

How is Kabuki? There are oversized hardcovers coming out and those are my weakness, but don't really know much about the series.

If you like David Mack I would at least check out the content of the first trade, I think that one at least is pretty solid. I can't really speak for the rest of the series though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Here's the full read order of Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity all the way up to Secret Wars

Is this a fan made thing? If Marvel put it out that alleviates any worries I have about them properly collecting his Avengers run.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Grawl posted:

I've been using this site to get something out of my free trial on Marvel Unlimited. So far I read Inhumans and the first 19 issues of Black Panther, and I'm not overly excited to read any of this. Inhumans was ok, but Black Panther is just becoming tedious. Am I just not a Marvel guy, or are these not the best comics out there (even though the author of the Comicbook Herald states he loves them)?
I would ignore that guys list almost entirely. Just read what interests you. He is right about Waid's F4 and Bendis's Daredevil being very very good though. Read Bendis's Daredevil starting at 16-19, then skip to 26. You can keep reading that Daredevil until the end of Brubaker's run after Bendis is done. For Waid's F4 I don't know what issues it starts on, someone else in here can probably get those. If you are at all interested in those characters, those are both very good runs, that Daredevil run is even what got me into Marvel in the first place. If there are other characters you are interested in just ask whats good in here and someone will point you in the right direction.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
He's gotten outed twice in recent history. Once in Bendis's run and he actually outs himself in Waid's run.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Well, strictly speaking Waid's run just has him stop fighting the outing from Bendis' story.

Which wouldn't matter if everyone still believed he was Daredevil.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Kafka Esq. posted:

I think the last time I posted here I asked for Winter Soldier stuff, and I only got through Captain America v5. Now I find out accidentally he's taken over for Nick Fury for something completely unrelated and I want to know more. What are the best volumes to buy, having finished v5 and no further? I know he's in Siege, Fear Itself, and Original Sin, and now has his own current series. Is there anything in between that I should get?

Original Sin is where all the Nick Fury stuff happens. It's self contained so you really only need the main series if you're just interested in Bucky stuff.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

Now I'm really torn. I'm way into fairy tales and folklore but that political stuff seems awful. Can you please elaborate on how bad it gets? Because this seems to indicate it can get extremely bad.

I've read Fables was excellent up until issue 100 or so, is that a good approximation?

I can't tell if Willingham is saying that the “Surrender? Surrender??? You think this letter on my forehead stands for France?” line is a good example of Cap or not. How can anyone actually think that is what Captain America stands for.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

spectres of autism posted:

are there any really sweet moon knight runs

Ellis had a dope six issues.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

HogX posted:

Alright, so I think I'm at ultimate Comics: Spider-Man at this point, but it still went from him being dead to him being alive? Like He was pulled out of the rubble, and was dead. Then it was his funeral and stuff. Now he's alive again and dating the blond girl? I'm so confused.

Yep. Don't worry, you didn't actually miss anything.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

redbackground posted:

That seems awfully unsatisfying.

I just meant that there wasn't issues they missed, I'm pretty sure Bendis goes back and covers some of the missing time though. It's been a while since I've read it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
There is no MAX stuff on MU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Sorry I meant Dillon. I just lump artists that draw horribly ugly people together in my head :twisted:

You monster

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

How has Wonder Woman been since Azzarello left?
How has Scott Snyder's Batman been, I haven't read it in a while.

Basically I want to give DC comics another chance and wanted to know what's good and whats worth catching up on.

If you're not interested in Scott Snyder telling another(albeit much better than Death of the Family) Joker story then you can probably just skip to the issue with the robot batsuit on the cover. I also really liked Zero Year.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dunbar posted:

Does anyone have any experience with managing a pull list remotely or ordering new stuff off a website? I have a small local LCS and they're pretty good about getting most stuff, but sometimes books I pull don't show up, especially if they're from smaller publishers. Lately I've tried to get Broken World, Muirwood, and Rivers of London, but the store never got them in. I have no reason to expect they aren't ordering them, because I get a ton of stuff there and sometimes the small press books do show up on time. I just can't count on it.

It's very possible they are just getting shorted by Diamond, but I would ask them directly. I get my comics through DCBS and I use the website to order them but I don't actually get them mailed to me because I live near them. I'm not sure that'd be a solution you'd be looking for though if you are just looking to fill in the gaps your store misses out on because you need to preorder stuff in advance.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 23, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

WickedHate posted:

What's a good gag gift for a fellow comic geek? I want to evoke the feeling "Awww, gently caress you too pal :3:". The other, non joke things I'm planning on getting him are Ellis' Moon Knight and Godzilla: Half Century War.

Onslaught Reborn

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So, I loved Astro Boy as a kid. Should I read this?

http://www.amazon.ca/Astro-Boy-Omnibus-Osamu-Tezuka/dp/1616558601/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443329818&sr=8-2&keywords=astro+boy

Keep in mind I've always kinda struggled with enjoying traditional manga style left to right. Does Dark Horse flip it around for dummies like me?

That one contains the Greatest Robot on Earth story and that's pretty cool but it's the only Astro Boy I've read. If you want something along those lines Pluto is written and drawn by Urasawa and is a re imagining of that specific Astro Boy story. It is very good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I've been reading Morrisons JLA run in trades they've been putting out and I'm wondering if it's worth picking those up past the 4th one. The fourth trade has what I understand to be the final group of Morrison's issues and Tower of Babel.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Looks like the current run of trades go up to #93 so far so I'll just keep picking those up. Thanks!
Another question too actually, i started reading an infinity gauntlet omni I picked up a few months ago and I have really enjoyed it up until the event actually ends. There is still a good portion of the book left, is there anything worth reading in there past Infinity Gauntlet #6? I did really enjoy the issues of silver surfer and thanos quest leading up to the event.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 6, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

The rear end Stooge posted:

Can I post recommendation requests for manga here or is that supposed to go in ADTRW?

You can also check here
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568801
Not a lot of action in there lately but I'm sure people would give you some good recommendations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah he graduated from High School and started college somewhere around the #30's of the original Lee/Ditko run. It is quite goofy but a lot of it is still the most tolerable Stan Lee stuff, particularly as the run goes on and Romita comes on board.

You could also check out Roger Stern's run, which is a bit more modern.

Yeah I was about to suggest Stern's run which I am reading right now. It seems to be exactly what you are asking for.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
My omni is at work but I'll try to remember to post what's in it tomorrow. There is a good chunk of PPTSS before Amazing starts up.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I can't speak as to whether you should read the event, but I don't think anything has come up in the first two trades of Suicide Squad that requires it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

It's fine if you don't like it, but it's silly to suggest someone read a story but not read chapter 10 of 10. (Or, really, chapter 30 of 30, since it really started with F4.)

I believe you mean chapter 9 of 8

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Secret Wars is absolutely the finale of his Avengers/New Avengers story. It's not an epilogue. Without it, the story ends on a portal between 616 and Ultimate opening.

I'm making a joke because Secret Wars was originally 8 issues, but then was stretched out into 9.
I guess I shouldn't say stretched, more like portioned into 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The first trade of fables is fine. If you really like it the. Keep reading until you get to something that makes you stop.