Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

mcustic posted:

I read The Invisibles and really enjoyed the whole paranormal/conspiracy/counter-culture/Lovecraftian barely comprehensible mish-mash, if you get what I mean. I'm looking for similar subversive comics. The more out there, the better.

You'll probably love Dial H, especially if you've read China Mieville before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

mcustic posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Wait, China Mieville writes comic books? :aaaaa:

Well, he wrote Dial H, and it is incredible. Also mostly separate from the rest of the DC universe, thankfully.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Infinity Gauntlet is like my favourite superhero comic ever, and I couldn't get through War/Crusade. They're just boring.

The Thanos mini is decent, but not hugely memorable. It does set up some Annihilation stuff, though, so go for it if you feel like it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sphinx posted:

This seems like a really good deal since i'm not interested in too many comics. I'm really only interested in the main events that took place like House of M, Civil War, etc that is mentioned in the OP. That should be included, right?

Yes, they are, though I hope you reconsider and branch out a bit, because while House of M isn't bad, every other event Marvel has done since then has been varying degrees of boring or awful.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

He also had a rad C64 game!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Veg posted:

Remenders X-Force omnibus releases tomorrow in my country, general consensus? what are some themes it explores? if I like ______ series I would also like Uncanny X-Force?

For reference, I'm newer to comics and my favourite runs are Millers DD, Snyders Batman and Lemires Green Arrow.

If I like good loving comics I would also like Uncanny X-Force.

Seriously, that run is probably my favourite superhero comics run of the past decade. It kind of builds off of Age of Apocalypse, but works well enough as a stand-alone read, as has been mentioned.

Re: themes.

I guess the primary theme is, in continuation of the Craig/Yost's X-Force, is it it worth it to take a possibly innocent life to save many more? The X-Force is a mutant covert hit squad, in this case featuring a great cast which Remender does a lot of interesting things with, especially someone like Deadpool. There's also a good amount of body horror and some really creepy villains, it's great.

There's a lull in the middle where they go to Otherworld, but generally it's just such a good example of an author being super creative with what he's given, and an artist that fully understands the meaning behind the words.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

She's not even officially calling herself Captain Marvel for the first few issues of Captain Marvel.

I think she decides to use it after the time travel arc.

Actually no, I'm pretty sure "I'm taking the drat name" is from the end of the first issue.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but time travel so I'm right too!

I don't actually remember, it just seemed like literally taking the Captain Marvel role in her own origin story would be a natural point to do it.

The whole first issue is a cleverly constructed tone piece, that sets the stage for Carol as a new icon for female superheroes, beginning with the name. The art doesn't really fit, but I think it's a stellar starting point... which DeConnick promptly throws in the garbage with that loving time travel arc. In hindsight, it seemed the book never really recovered from that, and was just very directionless until the whole The Enemy Within arc, not to mention the art kept changing in completely opposite directions between issues. Captain Marvel has a lot of heart, but I think it is the very definition of wasted potential in everything except maybe cover art, which are almost all poster-worthy.

At least the first issue of the relaunch was really good, but it's probably too late to salvage.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is Aphrodite IX V2 any good? I don't know anything about the original, but I checked out a preview of the new book on a whim and man this loving art:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

I want to pick up some new Marvel trades and I'm not sure what to get. I'm getting Captain Marvel and Hawkeye because I heard good things about them. I read Captain America and liked that. I also love how the recent Marvel Movies embrace how goofy and weird their world is and doesn't even attempt to be The Dark Knight. Are their any other marvel characters you guys reccomend?

Thor: God of Thunder. The first two trades. The whole God Butcher arc is as far as I am concerned the best book to come out of NOW. It's entirely self-contained and rad as hell.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Possibly a weird question, but what are some options I could look at in the horror genre? 30 Days of Night was good (and Ben Templesmith is a wonderful artist), the Silent Hill comics are really hit-or-miss, and beyond that I'm kind of at a loss for stuff to look for. There seems to be a lot of "fantasy with horror elements" type thing, but I'm more interested in modern settings.

Bonus points for art in the vein of Templesmith or Mignola - I prefer stylized art to hyperrealistic stuff for the most part.

It's not a weird question! Check out our horror comics thread, lots of great stuff in there.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

I've been reading over some of the Stan Lee era X-Men stuff from those Essentials and maybe I'm just not as emotionally invested in the characters as, say, Spider-Man. Is there any point that this stuff is worth reading and it gets actually good with a plot?

Not really. It's been a while since I've read it, but it's generally just "In this week's issue the X-Men fight another weird circus villain" or The Living Pharaoh or some poo poo like that. It's just really uninteresting compared to Giant Size X-Men #1.

Edit: Thinking on it, I want to say the first appearance of Sauron is worth reading, as I remember it having pretty awesome art for the time by Neal Adams. That's the only story that stands out in my mind right now, though. I don't remember how many issues he did, but it's somewhere in the 50s/60s.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 8, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Now I'm hungry for more. I have a few different new recommendations I'm looking for. I mainly read through Marvel Unlimited, so if I can read it through that, I'm happy,

You could check out Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF. It's not really comparable in tone, but it is the same kind of awesome long-form, single author run with a really interesting, complex (for a superhero comic) story and well-written character progression.

I'd put it alongside UXF as one of the best runs I've read since I started getting into comics a few years ago.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also I'm going to say check out Peter David's X-Factor v3, at least the first 30 issues or thereabouts. The beginning of that run has some of the funniest, most charming superhero comics I've read.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Help me goons! I'm looking for a cool, modern fantasy comic. I've already read The Unwritten (most of it), Locke & Key, the Invisibles and Fables. A bit of Hellblazer. I like all of those, but I'm open to more suggestions.

Mainly I just want something similar to the Dresden File book series, or the World of Darkness rpg's. If it's finished, or pretty long, even better!

edit: hell, also requesting anything kind of high-fantasy, the more colorful and silly, the better.

VVV Those look pretty good. I wasn't thinking about anything like Saga but now that I know about it, I'm pretty interested, thanks!

Hellboy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SMP posted:

Can anyone recommend a modern Thor reading list? The OP recommends Thor, vol. 3 by JMS and The Mighty Thor by Fraction, but I've also heard things (good? bad? can't remember) about Kieron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery and Kid Loki stuff.

If you want to read that era, I recommend starting with JMS' Thor. It's mostly self-contained, and although it ends suddenly, it's a really good introduction to the Asgardian characters and their role in the modern Marvel universe. Fraction's Thor is bad and can be skipped. Gillen's Journey Into Mystery is very good at times, but for me it gets too bogged down with crossover stuff, and has a pretty messy reading order that can be confusing for a new reader. If you have Marvel Unlimited, it's worth checking out.

You didn't mention God of Thunder, though, so if you haven't read that, forget everything else and get on it. It barely has anything to do with the runs that came before it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

X-men Legacy right after Messiah Complex is all about Xavier putting his life back together and dealing with his sins.

Yeah, I forget the issue number, but there is a really good one where Emma and Scott turn the tables on Charles and try to mess with his head to let him know how it feels. It's maybe a bit of a cynical view of Charles, but goddamn has he done some messed up things over the years.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Geektox posted:

I just finished Remender's Uncanny X-Force and really liked it, and now I'm looking for a team series where they have a good mix of serious and humour?

Peter David's X-Factor Investigations. The first 30 issues or so are really amazing. After that it fluctuates and continues to decline, but it's still one of my favourite modern runs. All of it's on Unlimited too, as I recall.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

azren posted:

Okay, I'm trying to write an academic-ish paper/reveiw about superhero comics as relating to American literature, and I wanted to know if someone can suggest a strong, independently operating superheroine besides Wonder Woman (she's already included), ideally Marvel, to get a cross-section. I've been trying, and I'm just drawing blanks, only coming up with heroines who are either secondary characters, or part of a team. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

edit: the aim is ultimately to provide examples of superheroes/heroines who can stand as examples of the contribution of superhero comics to American literature.

Captain/Ms. Marvel (mainly the new series) is all about being a strong, independent superheroine. She-Hulk is also an interesting case since she has a civilian job.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 27, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Carol Danvers is not only notable for being one of Marvel's few female characters with multiple volumes of her own solo book, she also has a military career and was appointed the leader of the Avengers fairly recently, though it didn't stick.

The whole point of the 2012 Captain Marvel series from a thematic perspective was to establish a strong feminist superheroine, written by a woman. Not only did the character ditch the gendered title, she coopted the name of a (or two, if you will) long-revered male superhero. Most of the front covers of that book are based heavily on 20th century feminist imagery, e.g. Rosie the Riveter.

Unfortunately the book itself hasn't been great (here, Kamala Khan has the upper hand so far), but she has been given the biggest marketing push of probably any female superhero of the past 5 years or so, inspiring quite a dedicated fanbase.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Have they said whether or not they'll reprint/omnibusify Annihilation: Conquest anytime soon? I know it's available digitally, but I kind of want that whole goddamn saga in print and the first volume is stupidly expensive.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I own all the Aliens omniboo, and they're mostly pretty drat good for licensed comics. Last year I wrote a series of posts summarizing the first couple of volumes that act as a continuation of Aliens, but were written before Alien 3 killed off Hicks and Newt. Check it out if you're interested, those stories are pretty fun (you might need archives).

The AvP comics are very hit and miss as far as I can understand.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 4, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I was asking in another thread, might as well ask here as well - how are the DH omnibus books, quality-wise? I've been thinking about rebuilding some of my old Star Wars collection at some point in the future and the omniboo look like the way to go, both price- and content-wise. Only thing is, I've heard stuff about the books themselves not always being great quality.

I replied to you in that same thread! :)

Hakkesshu posted:

The quality of the DH omnibuses is fine. I've got like 15-20 of them, and the only one I had problems with was one where the glue came off the front cover, but I just glued it back again myself. I'd like it if they were bigger, but the amount of pages you get for that price can't be beat.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

Puckish rogues: The Runaways, Journey into Mystery, the latest run of Young Avengers.

Peter David's X-Factor.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

What are some good stories featuring the Celestials? I've read Hickman's F4 already, and that and the Guardians of the Galaxy movie are really all I know about them.

Earth X

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There's also the Neil Gaiman Eternals, which I couldn't really get into, but I hear good things.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know that it requires no background knowledge, since not only does it spin off from Siege: Loki and Gillen's Thor run, kid Loki himself is a result of something that happened in Fraction's run, which is itself a continuation of JMS' run. It's all very good, but I can't agree that it's mostly self-contained.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Check out Ellis' run, it's all collected, mostly self-contained, and fantastic.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The only things I've read with Ultron in them are: That opening arc of Mighty Avengers where he becomes Lady Ultron, Ultron Unlimited, and Age of Ultron, and I didn't much care for any of them.

I've seen Ultron Unlimited being recommended here before as one of the best Ultron stories, but I just have issues with Busiek's Avengers run in general (in that I hate it), but I gave it a shot and it didn't do much for me regardless.

So I'm wondering if there's even anything else that's worthwhile reading featuring Ultron? Is the Ultimate version any good?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Why do you hate it?

I just generally don't like that era of late 90s comics, too much purple prose and and I think the art, or maybe it's the colouring in this case, is really lovely. This is despite me thinking George Perez was amazing on Infinity Gauntlet. They start out with that horrible medieval Avengers arc, the Wanda/Simon stuff is awful, Carol being an alcoholic is really poorly handled, etc.

I've tried giving that run a chance multiple times and I don't like anything about it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You ever read Hellboy? The library editions are huge and wonderful and not very expensive. I can't recommend them enough.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Big Centipede posted:

No I haven't. Any particular books you recommend?

Start from the beginning, v1: Seed of Destruction. After v3 I think BPRD, the spin-off, begins and that is also collected in some very nice, thick hardcovers. Mike Mignola is fantastic in general, but the Hellboy library editions are really special because they allow the art to truly shine, and like I said they aren't very expensive for what you get, so they're some of the best value for money in this whole medium as far as I'm concerned.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Those big omnibuses are very heavy and unwieldy, but not unmanageable to read. They are definitely not convenient to take anywhere.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

The main conflict is Mysterio convincing a character they have aids and trying to get Matt to kill a baby. It's also just badly written with it being a Loeb-esque "greatest hits" run where the villains motivation is Ben Reilly is around so they can't torment the "real Spider-Man".

Yeah, it's real clumsy and poorly considered; Smith is clearly trying to recapture some of that Miller style and prose but fumbles it all, and it just comes off as total grimdark 90s nonsense with a ton of extraneous narration. Everything involving Karen Page in that book is just the worst.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zenescope's Alice in Wonderland fits the bill but man I hope there are better alternatives out there, because I would not give this to anyone that I don't actively loathe.

Edit: Dynamite released another adaptation that doesn't exactly look stellar either, but literally anything is better than Zenescope.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 23, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cyphoderus posted:

Thanks for all the superhero team recommendations, everyone.

Why? Is there a very strong continuity with the X books? Also you're talking about the actual sereis called FF, right? Not his Fantastic Four stuff?

The Fantastic Four/FF stuff is tied together, shouldn't read one without the other.

Also you can (and should) read Uncanny X-Force without any context, though it helps to know a little bit about what went down during Age of Apocalypse. Not essential though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's not entirely self-contained, it crosses over with New Mutants and Mighty Thor and starts out as a Fear Itself tie-in.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

HogX posted:

What's a good thor series to read on MU? I think I read part of the one with Gorr, don't remember what that was called.

JMS' isn't that popular 'round these parts, but I like his run an awful lot, even if it ends abruptly like everything else he does.

Starts here: http://marvel.com/comics/issue/15943/thor_2007_1

Gillen takes over after issue #603, and you could move onto Journey Into Mystery after that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Really? I mean the Hyperion one is good, but I loving hated the annual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Don't forget Earth X