Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Omnibuses are usually expensive being hardcovers and a thousand pages.

Everyone needs the X-Statix http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/X-STATIX-OMNIBUS-HC/JUN110719 one.
Planetary is fairly cheap http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/PLANETARY-OMNIBUS-HC/SEP130279

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Teenage Fansub posted:

Everyone needs the X-Statix http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/X-STATIX-OMNIBUS-HC/JUN110719 one.
Planetary is fairly cheap http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/PLANETARY-OMNIBUS-HC/SEP130279

Doesn't necessarily need to be an omnibus, I guess. Something Final Crisis size would be alright. I'm planning on grabbing a few Goon issues to take with me as well. I started Planetary a few weeks ago and just didnt get into it. Will try picking it up again later just to give it another shake.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You ever read Hellboy? The library editions are huge and wonderful and not very expensive. I can't recommend them enough.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Hakkesshu posted:

You ever read Hellboy? The library editions are huge and wonderful and not very expensive. I can't recommend them enough.

No I haven't. Any particular books you recommend?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Okay. Seven Soldiers, if you haven't read it :)
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/SEVEN-SOLDIERS-OF-VICTORY-HC-VOL-01/FEB100191
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/SEVEN-SOLDIERS-OF-VICTORY-HC-VOL-02/OCT100271
Thread on it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663834&pagenumber=1

Jack Kirby's Fourth World omnibuses if you can take some wild 70s stuff. Where Darkseid and the New Gods came from.

There are nice chunky volumes of Ed Brubaker's Catwoman http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/CATWOMAN-TP-VOL-01/OCT110246

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 28, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Big Centipede posted:

No I haven't. Any particular books you recommend?

Start from the beginning, v1: Seed of Destruction. After v3 I think BPRD, the spin-off, begins and that is also collected in some very nice, thick hardcovers. Mike Mignola is fantastic in general, but the Hellboy library editions are really special because they allow the art to truly shine, and like I said they aren't very expensive for what you get, so they're some of the best value for money in this whole medium as far as I'm concerned.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Teenage Fansub posted:

Okay. Seven Soldiers, if you haven't read it :)
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/SEVEN-SOLDIERS-OF-VICTORY-HC-VOL-01/FEB100191
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/SEVEN-SOLDIERS-OF-VICTORY-HC-VOL-02/OCT100271
Thread on it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663834&pagenumber=1

Jack Kirby's Fourth World omnibuses if you can take some wild 70s stuff. Where Darkseid and the New Gods came from.

There are nice chunky volumes of Ed Brubaker's Catwoman http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/CATWOMAN-TP-VOL-01/OCT110246

Seven Soldiers sounds really good. I'm going to definitely check it out.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Hakkesshu posted:

Start from the beginning, v1: Seed of Destruction. After v3 I think BPRD, the spin-off, begins and that is also collected in some very nice, thick hardcovers. Mike Mignola is fantastic in general, but the Hellboy library editions are really special because they allow the art to truly shine, and like I said they aren't very expensive for what you get, so they're some of the best value for money in this whole medium as far as I'm concerned.

I'll grab some of these too. Thanks everyone

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Big Centipede posted:

I've never heard of Stray Bullets before, and it's just a tad out of the budget I wanted to spend. I'll check it out though. Any other suggestions? Superhero stuff is cool, but I'm open for anything really. I'm going to be in a three day hell of boredom otherwise.

Stray Bullets is amazing and everyone should read it, but if you don't want to dive in with the Uber Alles edition, Image is re-releasing the individual TPBs starting this week.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/FANTASTIC-FOUR-BY-HICKMAN-OMNIBUS-HC-VOL-01/MAY130711
Hickman's Fantastic Four is one of my absolute favorite comics ever. This is the first half, and the second comes out in a couple weeks I think.
Also if your order on IST is over $50 they give you free shipping.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

What comics should I read to help me understand why people are excited about a Black Panther movie?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I haven't read any of his solo books, but he's a big part of Hickman's New Avengers.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Parker Lewis posted:

What comics should I read to help me understand why people are excited about a Black Panther movie?

Black Panther Vol. 1: The Client (Black Panther vol. 3, #1-5)
Black Panther Vol. 2: Enemy of the State (Black Panther vol. 3, #6-12)

Priest made the Panther so frickin' awesome that it had to be shut down. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If you ain't a busta who can't appreciate 60s comics, I recommend reading the early Avengers issues where he joins the team.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

prefect posted:

Er, after 5 years and ~60 issues. I didn't care for the last chunk, though.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

prefect posted:

Thanks! I believe these are Black Panther vol. 2 from 1998-99, for what it's worth, or Comic Vine calls it vol. 2 for some reason.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 29, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Parker Lewis posted:

Thanks! I believe these are Black Panther vol. 2 from 1998-99, for what it's worth, or Comic Vine calls it vol. 2 for some reason.
The Priest run is actually the third volume of Black Panther comics (it's sad that only two trade paperback collections of it were published). Vol. 1 was the Kirby series, and Vol. 2 was a 4-issue mini by Peter Gillis.

And yes, the Priest run is the lengthy '98-'03 series.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 29, 2014

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I don't really know much about Black Widow but I'm interested in her character from the movies. Does she have any solo outings in the comics that are worth checking out?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yes. Go for the current series.
https://www.comixology.com/Black-Widow-2014/comics-series/12629?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVy

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Sweet thanks!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Teenage Fansub posted:

That X-Statix one is over a thousand pages! How hard are these to read? I'm picturing the big HC Love and Rockets collections, but those definitely weren't 1000+ pages each, maybe half that. But even those were too big to conveniently take to work.

Is all that X-Statix stuff collected in trades as well?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Those big omnibuses are very heavy and unwieldy, but not unmanageable to read. They are definitely not convenient to take anywhere.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's definitely a put on a table when reading kind of book. It opens up fairly well and I don't remember any gutter loss issues or anything like that.

The Love & Rockets books are definitely easier to read, though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You read omnibuses like this:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hey all,

I've got a working knowledge of DC, having read all of the major crossovers until new 52 came along. And with the Flash currently on tv, what Flash arcs and runs should I read to really enjoy the character?

I'm familiar with the general Wally West/Barry Allen changeups (I've read all of the crises) but following the timeline is loving baffling to me. Everyone has recommended the Waid and Johns' runs, so I guess that's where to start?

Also, I remember reading Morrisons' fantastic Justice League run, but can't remember for the life of me what Wally's personality was like. The DCAU painted him as a rookie jokester, but I remember Morrison largely kept Kyle Rayner in the insecure rookie role. Anyone care to refresh my memory?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Narcissus1916 posted:

Also, I remember reading Morrisons' fantastic Justice League run, but can't remember for the life of me what Wally's personality was like. The DCAU painted him as a rookie jokester, but I remember Morrison largely kept Kyle Rayner in the insecure rookie role. Anyone care to refresh my memory?

I remember Wally having very little respect for Kyle during "New World Order". But to be fair, at one point he made an anime robot construct, so it's not like he deserved any respect.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hey all,

I've got a working knowledge of DC, having read all of the major crossovers until new 52 came along. And with the Flash currently on tv, what Flash arcs and runs should I read to really enjoy the character?

I'm familiar with the general Wally West/Barry Allen changeups (I've read all of the crises) but following the timeline is loving baffling to me. Everyone has recommended the Waid and Johns' runs, so I guess that's where to start?

Waid and Johns for Flash, and I liked what I read of Manapul's run in the New 52 line-up. It was one of the few books that didn't end up with a revolving door creative team for the first few years.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

She's just asking the wrong doctor.

Nemesis would science the *gently caress* out of that door.

So I've seen tons of Nemesis panels, but never read a book with him. What do I need to get?

VVVV thanks!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 30, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

So I've seen tons of Nemesis panels, but never read a book with him. What do I need to get?

X-Club!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Cable & X-Force is also pretty good too.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Also the current X-Force series. You can't go wrong with Spurrier writing Dr. Nemesis.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A Strange Aeon posted:

That X-Statix one is over a thousand pages! How hard are these to read? I'm picturing the big HC Love and Rockets collections, but those definitely weren't 1000+ pages each, maybe half that. But even those were too big to conveniently take to work.

Is all that X-Statix stuff collected in trades as well?

It's not a book to read in bed or on your lap, but it's fine on a desk or something. Marvel omnibuses generally have lovely binding so the book remains flat.

The omnibus is the cheapest and most readily available method of grabbing X-Statix. However, if you can't stand the omnibus format, the trades are occasionally available on Amazon for semi decent prices (they're out of print). In order, you need:

X-Force Vol 1:New Beginnings
X-Force Volume 2: Final Chapter
X-Statix, Vol. 1: Good Omens
X-Statix, Vol. 2: Good Guys and Bad Guys
X-Statix, Vol. 3: Back from the Dead
X-Statix, Vol. 4: X-Statix vs. The Avengers
X-Statix Presents: Dead Girl

Hope that helps.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
HOLY poo poo I just spent, like, an hour trying to remember the title of a series I was hyped about and thought I had missed the launch of. Turns out I didn't, turns out it's Drifter, turns out it's out next week. I had to dig back through like a month of Becky Cloonan's vacation photos from Wales to find it.

Anyhow while I was blasting through every non-Marvel/DC publisher's catalog looking for whatever the hell I was thinking of, I ran across some stuff that I am interested in, and was wondering if anyone had opinions on Copperhead, Birthright, or The Trees they'd be willing to share???

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Majuju posted:

HOLY poo poo I just spent, like, an hour trying to remember the title of a series I was hyped about and thought I had missed the launch of. Turns out I didn't, turns out it's Drifter, turns out it's out next week. I had to dig back through like a month of Becky Cloonan's vacation photos from Wales to find it.

Anyhow while I was blasting through every non-Marvel/DC publisher's catalog looking for whatever the hell I was thinking of, I ran across some stuff that I am interested in, and was wondering if anyone had opinions on Copperhead, Birthright, or The Trees they'd be willing to share???

I thought Copperhead was interesting, but I will probably trade wait it. I was enjoying Trees until the last issue that came out and now I'm loving it. There was a really cool dialogue on gender and sexuality in it that I really didn't expect.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nyeehg posted:

It's not a book to read in bed or on your lap, but it's fine on a desk or something. Marvel omnibuses generally have lovely binding so the book remains flat.

The omnibus is the cheapest and most readily available method of grabbing X-Statix. However, if you can't stand the omnibus format, the trades are occasionally available on Amazon for semi decent prices (they're out of print). In order, you need:

X-Force Vol 1:New Beginnings
X-Force Volume 2: Final Chapter
X-Statix, Vol. 1: Good Omens
X-Statix, Vol. 2: Good Guys and Bad Guys
X-Statix, Vol. 3: Back from the Dead
X-Statix, Vol. 4: X-Statix vs. The Avengers
X-Statix Presents: Dead Girl

Hope that helps.

This is super helpful, thanks! I kind of wish I hadn't heard about these Omnibuses, since I always wanted a bunch of the Marvel Masterworks but couldn't justify the price for just a few issues in each volume.

I'm psyched to get the X-Statix one, and then down the road as much of the early Lee and Ditko and Lee and Kirby stuff I can afford. They seem like books that will go out of print and sky rocket in price, which really plays on my sense of scarcity and makes me want to drop hundreds of dollars. For instance, the first Dr. Strange MM is super expensive right now, though another edition is coming out in May, so I can probably wait.

I know I could read most of that stuff with Marvel Unlimited for far cheaper, but I don't think it'd be the same as owning.

Unrelated, what are my options for reading Jack Cole's Plastic Man? Are there any affordable trades or just the expensive DC Archives?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Majuju posted:

Trees has wonderful characters, an interesting plot, and is a total loving chore to read. Nothing loving happens. I think that it'll read great when it's finished and collected, but reading monthlies is a waste of time and money. By finished, I mean *finished* because there has been as much plot progression in all the books released thus far as a single issue of a Bendis written monthly.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A Strange Aeon posted:

This is super helpful, thanks! I kind of wish I hadn't heard about these Omnibuses, since I always wanted a bunch of the Marvel Masterworks but couldn't justify the price for just a few issues in each volume.

I'm psyched to get the X-Statix one, and then down the road as much of the early Lee and Ditko and Lee and Kirby stuff I can afford. They seem like books that will go out of print and sky rocket in price, which really plays on my sense of scarcity and makes me want to drop hundreds of dollars. For instance, the first Dr. Strange MM is super expensive right now, though another edition is coming out in May, so I can probably wait.

I know I could read most of that stuff with Marvel Unlimited for far cheaper, but I don't think it'd be the same as owning.

Unrelated, what are my options for reading Jack Cole's Plastic Man? Are there any affordable trades or just the expensive DC Archives?

Yeah, the omnibuses can and do become ridiculously expensive once they go out of print. While some get reprints eventually, it's hard to predict what will and when so I try to keep that in mind.

As for Plastic Man, I'm afraid the archives are your only physical option. There are 8 volumes, all available on Amazon and all out of print. However while Volumes 1 and 2 are about $40, volumes 3-8 can be found for under $20 (including shipping). Full list below:

Plastic Man, The - Archives, VOL 01
Plastic Man, The - Archives, VOL 02
Plastic Man, The - Archives, Volume 3
Plastic Man, The - Archives, Volume 4
Plastic Man, The - Archives, Volume 5
Plastic Man, The: Archives - Volume 6
The Plastic Man Archives, Vol. 7
The Plastic Man Archives, Vol. 8

I would have made the list look nicer but :effort:

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Majuju posted:

I have enjoyed the first two issues of Copperhead and I'm looking forward to the third next week. So far, it's sort of like an off-world Deadwood or Justified - out-of-town sheriff shows up in a remote town and tries to figure out the lay of the land. Pretty spare art style with a lot of open areas and empty space.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nyeehg posted:

Yeah, the omnibuses can and do become ridiculously expensive once they go out of print. While some get reprints eventually, it's hard to predict what will and when so I try to keep that in mind.

As for Plastic Man, I'm afraid the archives are your only physical option. There are 8 volumes, all available on Amazon and all out of print. However while Volumes 1 and 2 are about $40, volumes 3-8 can be found for under $20 (including shipping). Full list below:

Plastic Man, The - Archives, VOL 01
Plastic Man, The - Archives, VOL 02
Plastic Man, The - Archives, Volume 3
Plastic Man, The - Archives, Volume 4
Plastic Man, The - Archives, Volume 5
Plastic Man, The: Archives - Volume 6
The Plastic Man Archives, Vol. 7
The Plastic Man Archives, Vol. 8

I would have made the list look nicer but :effort:

20 is pretty good for a trade, and I'm pretty sure there's no huge arcs or anything I'd be missing out on, since that stuff is golden age. Thanks! More to add to my wishlist.

Speaking of things going out of print, how far in advance does Marvel announce reprints and what factors into their decision? I won't pretend I understand funny book economics, but it would seem to me that if the secondary market can bear prices 3 to 4 times higher, that there's sufficient demand for a reprint. Also, the book must have sold out its first run, which again seems like a good reason to print more.

It's one of those things I'm worried about, since with digital distribution taking off, I wonder if nice bound omnibuses and archives aren't going to be around much longer, which would be a shame for those of us who aren't into reading on a screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Just happened to see the (lovely) League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie, are the comics any good?