Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cyphoderus posted:

A lot of comic books feature hand-to-hand combat at some point, but in these scene artists tend to pose characters in the most generic fashion they can. Even characters who are supposedly martial arts masters (Captain America, Batman, Cassandra Cain) or who are associated with specific fighting styles (Wildcat) get the exact same "fight choreography" as everyone else: either those overcommitted punched straight from the 20's, or a "punches and kicks" thing inspired by bland 80's karate flicks.

What's a comic that is specifically concerned with producing good, dynamic, distinctive fight choreography?

Some things I've read that more or less fit what I'm looking for:
Frank Miller's Daredevil
Warren Ellis' Moon Knight
The Immortal Iron Fist
and a lot of manga, notably Vagabond

Check out Glory and Orc Stain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I read what I guess was the second trade as it was coming out and didn't get what people saw in it, and then it apparently turns into super pro-Republican propaganda, so.

I mean Willingham doesn't hide his beliefs but calling it propaganda is a bit hyperbolic. As a means to convert anyone to that way of thinking its a pretty piss poor attempt.

I stand by a lot of that comic being really good up to a point, but it really helps if you have any sort of appreciation for fairy tales and folklore.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cyphoderus posted:

Now I'm really torn. I'm way into fairy tales and folklore but that political stuff seems awful. Can you please elaborate on how bad it gets? Because this seems to indicate it can get extremely bad.

I've read Fables was excellent up until issue 100 or so, is that a good approximation?

The Israel chapter is by far the worst example and I think he's said he regrets putting it on because it's bad storytelling. One of the reasons why I don't think it works as propaganda is because Bigby (and the rest of the Fables) aren't really role models to begin with, and in context the Israel analogy actually makes sense even if it's very poorly written. Fables is a series about a fundamentally corrupt, broken society where no one is happy, so the implication that anyone is supposed to go "gently caress yeah Israel" after reading that is kind of ludicrous, though on the other hand I can see why you think it isn't worth defending.

I think the turning point is around issue 75 - you'll know it when you see it - but I really do think it's a good series, and it's unfortunate that it got the reputation it did because the author is a big butthole.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

The farm is also a hosed up concept when you think about it. You know oh you look different so you have to stay in one place and you can never leave, and that's seen as a good thing.

Yes that's kind of the whole point of the farm, it was never portrayed as a happy place.

You could also just play Wolf Among Us, it's most of the good parts of Fables without Willingham being majorly involved.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, the more egregious bleeding in of Willingham's politics is with Goldilocks, who's basically just an awful parody of 'liberals'.

Goldilocks is a weird Unabomber expy, I never read her as a liberal parody. Like, Fables does have positive portrayals of liberal characters too, like Flycatcher, who's pretty much the most unambiguously good character in the series.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, heres something I was thinking about. If you wanted to introduce someone to Grant Morrison's stuff, what would you recommend?

We3

I generally don't like Morrison because his stuff is either impenetrable or completely stuck up its own rear end, but We3 is just a really simple story told in a very creative way. Even Quitely is in top form compared to his superhero comics which I also find extremely unappealing.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 29, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The We3 ending is surprisingly positive considering how completely full of despair the rest of that book is

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ellis' Thunderbolts might be my favourite book he's done for Marvel, it's fantastic.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

I read Economix this week and I'd never thought of a comic book as educational media. It was a really good way to explain a complicated and dry topic. I was kind of blindly searching for similar stuff, and most non-fiction comics are biographical, which I'm not as interested in. Anyone know of similar non-fiction comics, where it's focusing on history or a topic and not just one person?

There's March, about the civil rights movement. The art and lettering in that is incredible.

There's also the Showa books, about Japanese history. I haven't checked em out myself but by all accounts they are transcendingly beautiful

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 7, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is PAD's original X-Factor run actually collected? The Essentials stop right before his run starts.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yep. There's four "X-Factor Visionaries: Peter David" trades. Not sure what their availability's like, though.

Huh, I thought he'd written more than like 20 issues for some reason. They are OOP, but they don't seem rare, so I could probably track em down, thanks.

Captain Theron posted:

As someone who loves Ironman from the movies but has never read any of the comics, what would you guys recommend?

Extremis -> Fraction's Invincible Iron Man is a good beginner combo, I think. Mostly because IIM is collected in really nice, inexpensive hardcovers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Early Black Panther was a lot more progressive than you'd expect for a character written in early Marvel.

Wasn't that kind of the whole point of the character, though? I haven't read the early issues, but the character always seemed a lot less blaxploitative than, say, Luke Cage.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The 1998-2002 series is worth reading too. Anything by Ostrander/Duursema, basically.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

thehacker0 posted:

I'm interested in a vampire comic series. I am a big fan of Anne Rice, Stoker. I have read good things about I, Vampire and American Vampire. Which should I start with? Any other suggestions?

American Vampire is great, and pretty easy to get into since it's just those 7 trades at the moment.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Not in any of their other manga releases they don't

Edit: Wait, do you mean you want it flipped or not? Because it's probably flipped right to left for accuracy

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

A Tin Of Beans posted:

If she's liking stuff with female main characters - Lazarus? Revival? I quite like Copperhead, too, which doesn't get enough love - it's a sci-fi/western cop drama about a single mom and her angry war veteran partner, among other things.

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head.

Glory holy poo poo Glory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Blind Azathoth posted:

I liked Boom Studios' Fall of Cthulhu series. If you do check it out, just a note: the second-to-last arc is actually the end of the ongoing storyline. The last few issues/last trade are a miniseries about, for some reason, the Secret Atlantis Origins of Nyarlathotep's Pet Cat.

The first volume of Fall of Cthulhu is outstanding, definitely one of the best Lovecraft comics I've read. The art takes a serious nosedive after that to the point of ruining the whole book, but that first one is loving great. The art in the Dreamlands sections is enormously creepy.