Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I'm reading through Grant Morrison's original run of Animal Man and loving it. Is the rest of the comic worth reading after he stopped writing it?

As for further recommendations, are there other comics like this - taking less well-known characters and adding a horror bent to them?

Swamp Thing, Sandman (in the vaguest possible way), and Miracleman are all beloved comics that take a "darker" look at previously underexposed characters. You might also like Morrison's Doom Patrol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I don't even know how you talk about classic Ellis sci-fi without mentioning Transmetropolitan. It's not as polished as some of his later stuff (Planetary), but it's also more than 5 or 6 loving issues.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I'm looking for entire issues or long scenes in issues that are mostly well-written dialogue. I'm thinking specifically of the Ultimate Spiderman issue where Peter tells Aunt May about everything, and the conversation between Tony Stark and Bruce Banner in Avengers #28. Not necessarily Superhero comics, though.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Hulk: The End is probably too much of a downer for your purposes, but it's a standalone about a future where the Hulk is the only person left alive left, his anger basically pointless, Banner trapped inside.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Wanted to thank whoever recommended Loki: Agent of Asgard a while back. I dragged my feet on it because I count "all that Thor poo poo" along with "all that space poo poo" that is normally outside my enjoyment zone. But so far it's a ton of fun.

Have you read Journey into Mystery?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I haven't. From which point are you talking about -- doesn't that series go back to like the 50s? I saw it had some relaunch in 2011 but it looks like the first ton of it is in Fear Itself, which a friend matched to my expectations when he called it "turbo-dumb."

Yeah, sorry - I was indeed specifically referring to Kieron Gillen's JiM, starting here. It was the best thing to come out of Fear Itself, requires no background knowledge (since Loki interacts only tangentially with the whiz-bang superhero bits going on elsewhere). It continues on for a year after that crossover, and is a very good story about a clever child-Loki.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Mahasamatman posted:

I really loved Saga of the Swamp Thing. What are some other good comics about with existential outsider protagonists? Would Silver Surfer scratch that itch?

e: partner works at a library so I went ahead and put Silver Surfer: Parable, Requiem, and the Epic Collection on hold. Libraries are magic! Anything else I should wizard to my door?
If by some chance you haven't read Sandman, it does that very well in the same Vertigo mold.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Seconds is the O'Malley comic with a heavier fantasy focus, btw.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
If you like Darth Vader, definitely check out Kieron Gillen's other work, especially Wicked and the Divine and his X-Men run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Cyphoderus posted:

A lot of comic books feature hand-to-hand combat at some point, but in these scene artists tend to pose characters in the most generic fashion they can. Even characters who are supposedly martial arts masters (Captain America, Batman, Cassandra Cain) or who are associated with specific fighting styles (Wildcat) get the exact same "fight choreography" as everyone else: either those overcommitted punched straight from the 20's, or a "punches and kicks" thing inspired by bland 80's karate flicks.

What's a comic that is specifically concerned with producing good, dynamic, distinctive fight choreography?

Some things I've read that more or less fit what I'm looking for:
Frank Miller's Daredevil
Warren Ellis' Moon Knight
The Immortal Iron Fist
and a lot of manga, notably Vagabond

Some, but not all, issues of "Zero".