Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

mcustic posted:

I read The Invisibles and really enjoyed the whole paranormal/conspiracy/counter-culture/Lovecraftian barely comprehensible mish-mash, if you get what I mean. I'm looking for similar subversive comics. The more out there, the better.

I've never read American comics before, just some euro stuff in the eighties and nineties (Groo, anyone?), so feel free to recommend anything, even if you assume that everyone and their mother already read it. I also don't feel like getting into superheroes.

e:poo poo, Groo is an American comic.

You might also enjoy Transmetropoliton. Hunter S Thompson in the gonzo future showing how everyone is power is corrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Man-In-Madden posted:

What's the word on American Vampire? I've never read anything from Scott Snyder but I know people say good things about his Batman and I'm always looking for new horror stuff to read.

I have the first three hardcovers. It's a really great take on the vampire mythos and I'm saddened that Snyder would rather make some actual money writing Batman than starve and write more AV, but I am also selfish and love vampires.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

Am Vamp starts back up this week or next.

Rafael Albuquerque doesn't get enough talk for his half on the books. The art is utterly exceptional.

You are absolutly correct and I feel bad for not bringing him up. I am also glad to hear it is coming back!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

JoeyTrez posted:

Hey so I'm a complete and total newbie to the comic book world. I'm admittedly not really super interested in the whole superhero thing(Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash etc). And honestly I've only read the Regular Show comics from Kaboom because I'm a fan of the show.

But anyway the thing I'm really interested in anything that has to do with ninja/assassin/samurai stuff. I am also quite into humor. Does anyone have ANYTHING that they know of that somehow has these 2 elements in one? Doesn't necessarily HAVE to have humor in it, I would be happy with a really solid ninja-y type of comic. I realize manga would make sense as a route to take, but I'd like something that has color and I didn't have to read from right to left and wasn't in the "Japanese" style, if that makes any sense. Any help would be appreciated!

Hawkeye. Solid blend of action of humor with minimal superhero stuff. If you're coming from the goofy fun of Kaboom, this most recent issue where Clint hallucinates his recent history as a children's holiday cartoon is right up your alley!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The newest version of Moon Knight looks like it's going to be right up your alley. Only one issue out, so far.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The art also consists entirly of the most metal van paintings imaginable.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If your thing is more "normal guy" and not just "grim & gritty", check out Hawkeye from Marvel. He's just a dude with a bow rescuing dogs, fighting track-suited mobsters and making a total mess of his life.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If Superior Foes of Spider-Man is up there, read it. Dan Slott's She-Hulk.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

So what run should I read as someone completely new to comic books? Just pick one and go? As of now I'm going to read the original run of Deadpool, for pretty much no reason other than I know of that character. Any better suggestions?

That' super open ended. Why are you reading comics? What do you hope to find? What sort of fiction to you enjoy in general? Do you want super heroes? Funny stuff? Grim&Gritty? Like a character from a movie or cartoon (If you like Deadpool, the new series by Poshen and Duggan is really fun.)?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hekk posted:

My only experience with comic books were as a teenager in the early and mid 90s reading a buddy's X-Men collection. On a whim over last weekend I bought a month of Marvel Unlimited. After reading through some of this thread I saw that that Hawkeye (2012) comics were held in pretty high regard. I've read through the first six and am really enjoying both the art and story. To be specific, I like the retro(almost 1970s Bond like) covers and the use of shadows and interesting color. I don't know poo poo about comic books or art I just know this is a bit different than what I think of when I think comic.

I also enjoy seeing that Hawkeye is almost a regular dude. He doesn't have any insane godlike powers and often gets pretty messed up trying to fight against unlikely odds.

Does anyone have recommendations for either similarly unique art directions or more of the "everyday man rising to the occasion" type hero?

If you like that art style, anything by Ed Brubaker/Sean Phillips duo. I don't know if Criminal is on Unlimited since it's part of Marvel's creator owned imprint, but it's a straight up crime book, no super heroes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'd second swapping Moon Knight for Ms Marvel. Great art, young character, positive female character. I'd also swap Amazing Spider-Man with Ultimate Spider-Man. Start at volume 1 and work your way forward, the worst Ultimate ever gets is "just okay". Plus, when you eventually get to Peter's death and the Miles issues, Miles is only a few years older than your son.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh!

I don't like it, but a lot of goons enjoy the current Nova series. It's another one with a young protagonist, too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Pretty deadly is gorgeous, if a bit convoluted.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I loved Alias, but dropped The Pulse after a few issues.

In the early 2000's, Marvel had a miniseries called Deadline about a female Daily Bugle reporter investigating a mystery. I think it was only 4 issues, but that character Cat Farell, shows up in the Pulse. I think Deadline was a better story than the first arc of The Pulse, but I'm also not sure how easy it is to find.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Also Brubaker's Sleeper from Wildstorm comics, which I need to reread.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Marvel is dping everything they can to position Carol as their premier female hero. So that's probably your best bet. Kamala could possibly your into that since she's inspired by Carol.

EDIT: Wow, that's what it looks like when you phone post.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 27, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

Fear Agent?

I haven't read any, but Black Science (also by Remender) would probably work, too.

Oh, Fearless Dawn In Outer Space fits your description pretty well.

East of West, maybe?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Don't let the name or premise of Sex Criminals turn you off, it's not smutty and is really funny and touching and just an all around great book.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

frenchnewwave posted:

Newbie here again. I was able to pick up Ghostworld, Persepolis, and a comic adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere at the library. The latter is one of my favorite books so it was fun to read it in a comic medium.

Also just got this. And my husband told me there's a comic book store in our neighboring town, so we're headed there this afternoon maybe.

You started out well :)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fellblade posted:

I've just bought the first two volumes of Matt Fraction's Hawkeye on this forums general recommendation, and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm looking for some more collected volumes but I'm not sure where else to go. I've heard great things about Daredevil (I think by Waid?), as well as the Captain America/Winter Soldier stuff by Ed Brubaker, so I'd like to pick those up next.

My problem is that I have no idea where to start since there's so many omnibus/collection/volumes of the stuff out there, where should I start on those two if I want to buy them in the softback 6 or so comics per volume format? (ideally it would be the start of their runs)

Current Daredevil is by Waid and very good. You may want to go back and pick up the Bendis and Brubaker runs. Both are excellent, excellent reads.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Veg posted:

Heads up that Brubakers run relies heavily on knowledge of older Cap lore and lost me towards the end.

I didn't start reading Cap until Brubaker's run and no trouble following anything.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Veg posted:

The second Cap from the 50's? What?

The only thing I knew about Captain America going in was that Bucky was his sidekick was one of the only characters that would never come back from the dead.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

tenniseveryone posted:

All the Brian K Vaughan and Adrian Alphona stuff is gold, there's a volume after that written by Joss Whedon, then ABANDON SHIP.

As a huge Joss Whedon fan, I endorse this opinion. Maybe it's better if you're not waiting three months between issues, but I doubt it.

First volume is pretty boss.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

For the last time comic book creators: Dinosaurs are not a credible threat to superheroes.

They know.

EDIT: This also reinforces how badly the nu52 Superman costume SUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, that's not really what Superman, at least when well written, is all about.

Darwyn Cook's Parker adaptations are about a remorseless criminal. They're crime books not super heroes, so no one in spandex ever shows up to save the day.

It's ongoing, but Superior Foes of Spider-Man is due to end soon and has a few trades already out. It's about the newly formed Sinister Six (there are only five of them) and how they screw each other over while trying to pull off jobs.

Fake Edit: Sup, Phylo?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Journey Into Mystery has been sweet. I really dig what it's been doing with Mephisto. The bartender story was rad and the politicking of various demons is fun. Anything else like that without getting too corny?

Edit: Also between Journey Into Mystery and Agent of Asgard that's a few times talking about legend having a kind of tangible weight to the Aesir -- that the stories of others actually alter their reality. Are there any interesting reads visiting the same or a similar theme?

Keep reading JiM when Sif takes over.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

Fuse is a great space detective story but it's not grand scale cosmic if that's what you're looking for. But it is detectives on a space station solving crime through police work. The first TPB is available now and the second arc should be starting soon.

Oh goddamn, I forgot about this book. The first issue was pretty good!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm really, really enjoying the latest run of Hawkeye. Can anyone recommend anything in a similar fashion e.g. action hero but with a more down to earth focus?

Also really enjoyed the latest Batgirl "reboot" too - are the first 34 issues worth picking up? Seems odd they didn't just label it #1.

(I'm really just getting into comics as of recently).

Get the trades of the Stephanie Brown Batgirl by Brian Q Miller instead. Simone is garbage.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Majuju posted:

HOLY poo poo I just spent, like, an hour trying to remember the title of a series I was hyped about and thought I had missed the launch of. Turns out I didn't, turns out it's Drifter, turns out it's out next week. I had to dig back through like a month of Becky Cloonan's vacation photos from Wales to find it.

Anyhow while I was blasting through every non-Marvel/DC publisher's catalog looking for whatever the hell I was thinking of, I ran across some stuff that I am interested in, and was wondering if anyone had opinions on Copperhead, Birthright, or The Trees they'd be willing to share???

Trees has wonderful characters, an interesting plot, and is a total loving chore to read. Nothing loving happens. I think that it'll read great when it's finished and collected, but reading monthlies is a waste of time and money. By finished, I mean *finished* because there has been as much plot progression in all the books released thus far as a single issue of a Bendis written monthly.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

I've recently been reading the DC New 52 comics after a friend tipped me off that they were a good starting point for someone into superheroes that didn't want to wade back through decades of canon and non-canon, and have been seeing a lot of panic over DC potentially retconning the New 52 universe flying around online. I really -only= know about the New 52, but are there any websites out there that show weekly comic releases, or potentially something that could suggest starting points in both DC and Marvel for various comics? It's all a bit overwhelming.

Oh good! What do you like about the nu52? I'm old, so I hate pretty much the entire line, but it'd be great to see what someone coming into the hobby without the biases of us old timers thinks.

EDIT: the newest issues of Batgirl and Gotham Academy might be fun for you. They have great art and are well written, but aren't really my thing.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 26, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yes, that'll get you caught up with both avengers and x-men up until 6 months from the current date!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

I meant pirating them but yeah that works just as well.

I was trying to help you out, man. :files: gets you banned.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CowboyAndy posted:

I read through Remender's run of X-Force thanks to this thread. How has Spurrier's run been of X-force? Worth checking out?

Amazingly weird and wonderful. If you've read his run on Legacy, then you know what to expect.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Taking a shot as someone who doesn't read a lot of comic books, I am looking for two different things: gritty cyberpunk comics that sort of channel the feeling of Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, and Alien. I am a big fan of the work of Tsutomu Nihei who does a really good job of giving the feeling of an isolated protagonist trapped in an overwhelming and hostile environment.

Second thing I am looking for is something to fill the void of Saga as I wait for the next TPB, I like it (and similarly Sandman) because of the crazy world building, awesome character cast (and queer inclusive cast), and amazing artwork (Fionna Staples).

Suggestions on either front would be much appreciated!

Copperhead is new series over at Image that might be up your alley too. Space Western, gritty, single mom/new sheriff in a small town with shady townfolk and hostile natives. Well, pretty much a striaght western set in space, but there are plenty of sci-fi elements plopped on top of it. If you like the Noir aspect of Blade Runner, check out everything you can by Ed Brubaker. The Fade Out, which is a striaght up 1950's noir story set in Hollywood. Fatale is noir with cthulhu mythos pasted on top and I beleive it just ended. Velvet is a James Bondian spy story about a woman trying to clear her name after being framed for the murder of an agent.

Hickman's East of West is a crazy alt history sci-fi/apocolyptic/supernatural/western mashup.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The trade of Ellis' recent run.

Also the first series by Moench and the Huston series.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MrCompson posted:

A few months ago I started getting into comics again, after not really reading any since high school, and even then I mostly just read a handful of comics in trades (Sandman, Y: The Last Man, Preacher, Bone and some Alan Moore stuff). I'm basically looking for a pretty broad range of new comics to add to the pile (concluded series or ongoing are both fine), but crime fiction/noir or character driven comics of any kind are of particular interest to me. I'm enjoying several ongoing Marvel comics, so I'm not opposed to adding more superhero comics to the reading list either (Hickman's FF/F4 run is definitely on my radar). As far as comics I've read lately go, I've really loved Saga (being badgered into reading Saga got me into comics again), Fraction's Hawkeye, Bone (my favorite comic growing up and after a re-read I can safely say I still love it), Stray Bullets, Brubaker's crime/noir comics, Scalped, Southern Bastards, Thor GOT (I think I have a thing for Jason Aaron), Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and Ms. Marvel. Most of the comics I've been reading are from the last couple of years, so you can probably assume I'm unfamiliar with anything going back further than that.
I also have a pretty big (at least compared to what I expected) pull list:

Image:
Black Science, Chew, Copperhead, Deadly Class, Death Vigil, East of West, Lazarus, Low, Manhattan Projects, Rat Queens, Saga, Sex Criminals, Shutter, Southern Bastards, Stray Bullets, The Fade Out, The Wicked + The Divine, The Woods, Tooth & Claw, Velvet

DC/Vertigo:
Batgirl, Batman, The Kitchen

Marvel:
Avengers, Black Widow, Captain Marvel (considering dropping it), Daredevil, Elektra, Hawkeye, Inhuman (probably dropping it soon), Loki - Agent of Asgard, Ms. Marvel, New Avengers, Nova, Secret Avengers, Silk, Silver Surfer, Spider-Gwen, The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Thor, Uncanny Avengers

Boom! Studios
Cluster, Lumberjanes

You've got a great list there already, but, if you liked Sandman, drop everything else and start reading Lucifer. It is *better* than Sandman. Holy poo poo, was that a great book.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

sporklift posted:

Lucifer is pretty amazing. I just finished the last trade of the re- release and it is one of those books you wish could go on but are just glad it exists as it is. I Kill Giants is great. Read it around the time that I read Daytripper. Have Kleenexes handy for both. DMZ starts out pretty good. I haven't finished it yet though. Sweet Tooth?

Edit:

You can get the Parker Martini Edition for pretty cheap used. I recommend this to everyone. Huge slipcased hardcover that you can grab for around $30? Its a steal.

DMZ started out great, but I dropped it about halfway through because it started to meander too much. Maybe I should go back and give it another go now that it's over.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

The recent Gambit solo series was really good as well, and PAD pretty much writes the same character in All New X-Factor and even picks up on some of Gambit's sub plots.

And if you like Gambit, then go for the X-23 series.

EDIT: Wait, didn't X-23 make Gambit cool again and then his solo started? Maybe I'm backwards.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Be careful, X-23's original series was terrible, don't read that one by accident.

Oh man, I forgot. You want the Majorie Liu one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
For Sci-Fi, Image has been knocking it out of the park lately.

You've already looked at Saga, keep going with that.

Bitch Planet is only a few issues deep right now, it's the future, the patriarchy is all encompassing and women are sent to a special prison called Bitch Planet. It's a mix of 70's sexploitation and sci-fi dystopia with wonderful art.

East of West is a post apocalyptic alternate history sci-fi western following Death, the horseman of the Apocalypse as he sets himself against the other three horsemen and plays the divided factions of what used to the USA against each other.

Copperhead follows a single mom who's taken a sheriff's position on a distant planet. She has to deal with conniving politicians, a deputy that resents being passed over for the position because he's an alien and her own biases.

Rat Queens is a balls out D&D crazytime adventure. The adventuring party is portrayed as the sociopathic thrill seekers that every D&D party pretty much is. It's vulgar and funny and endearing all at the same time. The Badassed Panels thread has some pages in the OP and more are scattered throughout the Funny Panels thread.

I know there's a bunch I'm forgetting that I'll kick myself for when someone else posts them, but these are four good series. Aside from BP, all of them have trades out, although you're going digital so that may not be a priority.