Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Ragequit posted:

Fantasty/Sci-fi generally, when it comes to reading books. Kickin' rad dudes/girls doing kickin' rad things. I am not opposed to DC/Marvel characters. I just haven't been exposed to the new stuff past Spiderman/Batman/Superman.

redbackground posted:

Scott Pilgrim by BLOM

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I really like Scott Pilgrim, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who said they were looking for some sci-fi or fantasy comics. There are some fantastical elements to it, sure, but it's predominantly a slice-of-life work.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just got marvel unlimited and was recommended the infinity event from a couple of years ago. I don't really read comics so is this a good one to read? Any other recommendations for good marvel stuff, never read civil war so I was interested in that.
If you're interested in the Marvel films, you could check out Ed Brubaker's Captain America run - it starts with Captain America Vol. 5 (might be labelled as the 2005 series) #1. It introduces Winter Soldier. You can also try Iron Man by Warren Ellis - Iron Man Vol. 4 (2005 series also) #1-6, or by Matt Fraction - Invincible Iron Man (2008 series) #1 onwards.

Infinity is good but I'm not sure how well it would read on its own, since it's very much tied to Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers, which is just reaching its conclusion now with Secret Wars, starting this week.

Other stuff you can try:
  • Ms. Marvel (2013 series)
  • Daredevil - If you've watched the Netflix series, you could read Brian Michael Bendis' run, Vol. 2 #25, or some of Frank Miller's stuff like Daredevil: The Man Without Fear, or his run on the main book which starts with Vol. 1 #168, although he was artist before this. Mark Waid is coming to the end of a great run which he started back in 2011.

Other than that, I suppose just look around. I don't have Unlimited, but I understand that there's a ton of stuff up there at this point. New books go up around 6 months after their publication.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Shawn posted:

AvX doesn't interfere with Avengers at all. Avengers and New Avengers just keep trucking along.
Uh, yeah it does. There were AvX tie-ins in both Avengers and New Avengers. It was when Bendis was still writing them.

LordHippoman posted:

So, I'm really new to comics, I just decided to try out reading them today, actually, because of that free Marvel Unlimited month promo code. I knew enough about the characters from various games and movies and whatnot, but I'm kinda stumped on what to do at this point.

I started with Avengers from 2010, because I figured that'd be easiest to get into, I know most of the characters already, and I've enjoyed it, but now I'm at the part where Avengers VS X-Men is apparently starting. And there's an Avengers series, an X-Men series, and apparently a separate Avengers VS X-Men series? Should I just keep reading Avengers, or do I need to hop over to AvX, or read X-Men too, or :psyduck:
The best thing to do is just keep reading Avengers. I think that series wraps up not long after AvX anyway.

The AvX series itself is where the main story of Avengers vs X-Men happens. It's not very good so don't feel you have to read it. The Avengers issues with the AvX banner are tie-in issues, they will usually be some sort of side-story to the main "event", or might fill in more details of what's going on. Typically, if you wanted to read Avengers vs X-Men, you would just read the main mini-series. If you're reading other series at the time, they might tie into it also. During AvX, I was reading some of the X-Men books, but had no interest in AvX itself, so I ended up getting a few months worth of tie-ins even though I wasn't interested in the main series, which kinda sucked but that's just how these things go.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Dunbar posted:

Thanks for this. I always like it when you can read stuff knowing how important it was at the time. Being a relatively new comics reader, I've always wished there was some kind of "canon" for each publisher to let you know the flagship/big deal type runs you really need to read if you want to be fully up to speed on the universe.
The beauty of the universe though is that you can read as much or as little of it as you want... Don't get too hung up on reading the stories which "matter".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Apocalypse first appears in X-Factor, he has a cameo (which was originally going to be The Owl) at the end of #5, then has his first full appearance in #6. He is involved in the X-Factor issues of Fall of the Mutants (#24-26), which was a "crossover" without anything actually crossing over, really - the stories in X-Men, X-Factor and New Mutants are all very separate, but just involve death in some way. He was very much an X-Factor villain until they rejoined the X-Men after the Muir Island Saga.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

zoux posted:

At some point we just need to develop a "Here's what you read on MU" list.
I have a list of stuff in the 2nd post (which could probably do with an update), but I don't know what of it is on Marvel Unlimited as I don't have a subscription. You can browse it without a subscription, right?

Skwirl posted:

Simonson's run is gold loving standard, I think it starts with issue 337 of what MU calls "Thor: 1966-1996" Beta Ray Bill is on the cover.
This is the cover of Simonson's first issue, it's pretty hardcore.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Please note that this website has some absolutely mental reading order of everything that Marvel has published since 1999, without any regard as to whether it's any good or not. Some of it is, some of it isn't. For example, under Spider-Man it recommends the JMS Amazing Spider-Man, but not the Paul Jenkins Peter Parker: Spider-Man which was running at the same time, and which was really good until it relaunched as Spectacular Spider-Man (but the first storyline of that is listed because it's "relevant" or whatever).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah if you like books like Spider-Gwen and Ms. Marvel, you should get on Batgirl, Gotham Academy and the new Black Canary series.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Deadpool posted:

Do not get his current series. It is bad.
Just want to re-iterate this. You might think "Well, I love me some Winter Soldier, so even if the book isn't great I'll read it."

Don't. Just, don't read it. It's really, really bad.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The big thing related to Genosha prior to Morrison's run was that Magneto had gone there while the population were suffering from the Legacy Virus (mutant AIDS). When that was magically cured, Magneto suddenly had a large, healthy mutant army at his disposal. That was the Eve of Destruction storyline from Uncanny 392-393 and X-Men (Vol. 2) 111-13.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Doctor Strange and Iron Man are both ok, but I'd hardly go wild over them.

New Avengers is definitely great so far, though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I just read Iron Man #3 and ok yeah it's p good

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah he graduated from High School and started college somewhere around the #30's of the original Lee/Ditko run. It is quite goofy but a lot of it is still the most tolerable Stan Lee stuff, particularly as the run goes on and Romita comes on board.

You could also check out Roger Stern's run, which is a bit more modern.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah he started on Spectacular before Amazing, then was writing them both.

I've never read his run actually, I really should get that omni.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

datingvolcanoes posted:

I've been using the winter to slowly creep my way back to catching up. I just finished on the Marvel side, I have a giant stack of indie books I'm going through, and now, after safely viewing the weird poo poo DC's been through from a safe distance, I'm curious to see read any good/interesting runs from the last two years or so.

I'm not usually a fan of their general talent pool, but seeing de-powered Superman, Jim Gordon's Robocop , JLA New Gods, and a Robin Army, I have to know. What's worth checking out and where should I jump in?

It's worth noting I am not a huge fan of Johns, all things considered, but if it's a decent story, I won't were him off immediately.
The DC stuff I'm enjoying right now are Batgirl (since the soft relaunch), Black Canary, Midnighter and Doctor Fate (which is a little bit slow moving, but pretty good otherwise).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Vol. 3 under Waid ran up to #36 (with a couple of .1 issues), then Waid/Samnee relaunched Vol. 4 which ran up to #18 or so (also with a couple of .1/.5 issues). The relaunch was probably to just give Waid/Samnee a #1 together, or maybe just because the status quo was changing and it was seen as a jumping on point.

The book is now on Vol. 5 since it was relaunched as part of All-New Marvel Now under Charles Soule.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

Injection is a pretty decent read as well.
Yeah I'd suggest this and Pretty Deadly, it's by Kelly Sue DeConnick who writes Bitch Planet.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

You might also enjoy Howard the Duck by Chip Zdarsky and Joe Quinones.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

I'm assembling a Bendis Avengers reading order and that means I'm gonna be reading through House of M/Civil War/Secret Invasion/Siege/Fear Itself/AvX/Age of Ultron and was wondering if anyone had reading lists for any or all these events. I know what happens in them, and most of these events I'll actually be rereading, so I'm mostly looking for "what's the tie-ins I should be reading because they're good, not because they make the story make more sense".
There's one in the 2nd post which will take you up to the end of Siege/New Avengers.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Soule's She-Hulk was too good for this cruel world.

Slott's was great too although I think it went somewhat off the rails during its 2nd volume.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Burger McAngus posted:

For my birthday a buddy of mine gifted me Hickman's run on Fantastic 4 and a year sub to Marvel Unlimited. I liked what I read so I was wondering if, as someone who's only marvel reading was that run, I could jump into Hickman's Avengers/Infinity/Secret Wars stuff or if I'd need a whole bunch of other things to know what's going on.
Nah you can just jump into his Avengers run. It's a really fun ride. I think you'll get more out of it if you read all his FF run though first (I haven't finished it but loved his whole Avengers run).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Castor Poe posted:

What are some good Hulk trades that mostly deal with his multiple personality disorder?
Probably best checking out Peter David's run for that. It's collected across a number of Hulk Visionary tpbs.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Castor Poe posted:

Thanks.

Edit: Holy gently caress, they're expensive :psyduck:
Ah yeah, sorry. I had a quick peek on Amazon but didn't notice that the cheaper price was for used copies. I don't think there have been any recent reprints of his Hulk. You might be better off getting digital editions on Comixology, or subscribing to Marvel's digital service.

This one is $20 used or $30 new
https://www.amazon.com/Incredible-Hulk-Visionaries-Peter-David/dp/0785115412?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&tag=comicmixpadcwt-20

but the digital is €14 (which I'm guessing will be $14)
https://www.comixology.eu/Hulk-Visi...C9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

I picked up the Howard the duck and Squirrel girl comics that were on sale at comixology over the summer, and really enjoyed them. What other Howard comics would you guys recommend reading? Should I just go back as far as I can and hammer through everything?
You can probably check out the original Gerber Howard stuff from the 70s, although it's a bit different to Zdarsky's current series.

quote:

I don't really have any interest in the Avengers, so I don't think I'll bother with any of those. That being said, I did start reading Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, and I'm super impressed. How did he manage to give Clint more character in 2 pages than the MCU gave him in 2(maybe more?) movies?
If you enjoyed Hickman's FF, you're doing yourself a disservice in not following it up with his Avengers/New Avengers run, all the way through Secret Wars.

quote:

Which Doctor Strange comics were known for trippy artwork?
The original Ditko stuff was pretty trippy I guess. The current Aaron/Bachalo series has some great art too.

quote:

What are some well regarded X-Men arcs/runs? I've read through Cable/Deadpool, Uncanny X-Force, Cable's solo series where he keeps jumping forward through time running from an amber alert, and the follow up Second Coming. I've mostly enjoyed it, apart from Cyclops being such a dick, and Nightcrawler weirdly having a problem with the X-men killing when they're the target of a genocide. I guess it was just a bit of the Second Coming arc that I didn't enjoy. Cable's stuff in all that was enjoyable all the way through.

Oh, yeah, that reminds me, any other good stories with Fantomex, outside of Uncanny X-Force?
For classic X-Men, the Claremont run is brilliant. It's a little dated these days dialogue-wise, but once you start hitting the Byrne era it just keeps getting better and better. It starts with Giant-Size X-Men #1, and continues through (Uncanny) X-Men #94 onwards. He wrote the book until around Uncanny #279.

More recent stuff, you could check out Morrison's New X-Men (New X-Men #114-154 + Annual 2001). Fantomex first showed up there, although he's only in a couple of arcs through the run iirc.

If you want some trippy stuff, my favourite X-Men books in recent years by a mile were Simon Spurrier's X-Men Legacy, which was about David Haller (Professor X's son), and his X-Force, which included both Cable and Fantomex. Both were pretty short, not read by many people but were pretty great.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Morrison's run isn't really that polarizing, there are people who don't like it though. I think overall it's great, even if I don't agree with his views on Magneto.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Please don't read all that FF stuff because Captain America isn't in any of it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

After Alias, Jessica showed up in a short series called The Pulse, which had her team up with Ben Urich (who you may know from the Netflix Daredevil show). It's got a lighter tone than Alias, and different artists (although Gaydos drew 1 issue). It's slightly continuity heavy in that the stories intertwine with stuff happening in the Marvel U at the time, but it does a good job of explaining things well from what I remember.
https://www.comixology.eu/Pulse/comics-series/9931?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

Bendis also wrote a short-lived Spider-Woman book which was pretty great (only 7 issues though), with Alex Maleev on art. The character has powers and the story is less grounded than Alias/JJ, but you might still enjoy it.
https://www.comixology.eu/Spider-Woman-2009-2010/comics-series/2691?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

You could also try something along the lines of Greg Rucka and JH Williams' Batwoman
https://www.comixology.eu/Batwoman-Elegy/comics-story-arc/632?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL3N0b3J5bGluZXM
(the run continues past those 4 issues.... it was collected into a physical paperback collection but that doesn't seem to be available digitally).

There was a subsequent stand-alone Batwoman series which Williams wrote with W. Hayden Blackman, and did some of the art for also (although they both left after a disagreement with DC, and the run was concluded by Marc Andreyko). A new series has just been announced also.

Or also some of the recent Batgirl series by Cameron Stewart, Brandon Fletcher and Babs Tarr:
https://www.comixology.eu/Batgirl-2...C9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

Batgirl is fun but pretty soap opera-y? I guess. So I don't know if that will hold much appeal or not. But she doesn't have powers, just gadgets and fighting skills. Same as Batwoman above. Batgirl also has a couple of new series under DC's Rebirth banner.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Wolverine and the X-men by Aaron is really good. X-men Legacy by Carey is really good, but it really focuses on its history.
Aaron's Wolverine and the X-men is very uneven imo. There are a couple of really terrible arcs in there. When it's good, it's really good though.

Lurdiak posted:

Skip directly to Whedon. It's a way better introduction. Morrison's run is full of set-up for stuff that gets undone almost immediately.
This is a dumb reason to not read something, just FYI. Morrison's run is very good and Whedon carries on some plot threads from it.

I'd probably second Carey's run, but don't start from X-Men Legacy. He starts writing X-Men around #188 (Supernovas storyline) and it's really good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If you don't enjoy the serial format you may be better off sticking to collected editions.

For Howard the Duck, yes there was a previous (very short, just 5 or 6 issues long) volume under the same team. #11 of the current volume will be the last issue of this run.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

got any sevens posted:

What do you mean by collected editions, and which ones should I look for?
As Veg said, they're just collections of the single issues - like a season box set of a tv show. Virtually everything which is released as a single issue will be collected in a paperback and/or hardback, which would usually contain at least 5 of the singles. So you can get a whole story arc in one go. It might not be the whole story for a continuing series, but it would typically be a complete story in itself from start to finish.

As an example, here's the first collection of Descender, which has issues #1-6:
https://www.amazon.com/Descender-Vol-1-Tin-Stars/dp/1632154269/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480499223&sr=8-1&keywords=descender

You can buy them physically in stores, or even buy a digital version of the collection on Comixology for example. So if you wanted to catch up on Descender, you could grab the first 2 collections, which would get you up to #11.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

I've been out of comics since DC rebooted. :(
You're going to have to clarify this. :v:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

bessantj posted:

I've been pointed towards this thread. I'm looking to get a collection going I thought I'd start with the Justice League and Avengers and sticking with main continuity stories. I'm obviously not looking for every issues ever printed of either but are there a set of collections that would give a good general history of both teams? Thanks.
You've already been somewhat answered in the Q&A thread, but from an Avengers point of view the best way is probably Marvel Unlimited or maybe picking up collections/single issues on Comixology. A good starting point is the "Epic Collection" series of collections. These are colour reprints of the first volume of the series (from 1963):
https://www.amazon.com/Avengers-Epi...epic+collection

You can have a look through Comixology also, it has a lot of the original run single issues. That and Marvel Unlimited are a good way to read through old comics.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I've just started Roger Stern's Spidey, and I'm very excited.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Keep in mind that Quire doesn't really show up until New X-Men #134, but he becomes a fairly important part of the run at that point. It's all very connected though so you're best reading from the start.

I think the Annual slots in between #116 and #117.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Bendis' Daredevil is great but Maleev's art is not what I would consider "clean". Like, at least look at what the guy is looking for before throwing out random recommendations. I don't think the tone of it is even what he's looking for, judging from his posts.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ultimate Spider-Man is a good shout, but I do think that the original Lee/Ditko/Romita Amazing Spider-Man run is worth reading. I don't think it has aged as badly as other books of its time, and there's just so much great stuff in there, particularly after Romita takes over.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Pichelli is a great artist but it's not like Bagley is terrible. You might want to get used to him though, he does more than 100 issues of the series. :v:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

rogue wave posted:

I have got to read all of this. I feel so behind! (the thread, not EVERY comic).
It's 100 pages long, you might be better just saying what you like and asking for recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The Cam Stewart/Babs Tarr/Brenden Fletcher Batgirl run is pretty great too, and would probably be right up your alley based on other things you like. Again, it's not too continuity heavy really, and has a strong focus on college kids doing college kid things.