Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh yeah, sorry about that.

But yes, I think it's definitely Marvel's best as far as what you're looking for goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Covok posted:

Hey, I haven't been into comics in a while (one could argue, ever). I've kind of regained an interest in Marvel comics and want to get back into comics overall. I'm a much bigger fan of sillier comics. I don't like it when comics take themselves too, too serious. Like, a little serious is fine, but I really hate when it gets too real, you know? Things getting too serious is why I kind of stopped reading a long time ago.

To give a better idea of what I mean, I'm a fan of Atomic Robo by Brian Clevinger which is a good tone on "upper serious for me" while I'm also a fan for things like the Batman: The Brave and the Bold TV Series for "lower serious." I'm looking for stuff in the costume crusader kind of business with tones in the range of the prior examples with it preferable being from Marvel (but, I'm always open to good).

So, anyone know any series that fit that kind of "light hearted, action filled, silly, not grim or gritty" superhero series? If this is like a super broad question, I'm sorry: I got the general vibe that comics have gotten darker over the years so that's an assumption I'm working under.

You want the Marvel Adventures books, all-ages books that featured simpler, one-and-done, and zanier stories starring various Marvel characters. It technically has its own continuity but the basics are pretty much identical to regular Marvel continuity. They're all very fun books, especially Marvel Adventures Avengers.

It shouldn't be TOO hard to track down some trades. They had pocket paperbacks for easy reading, like a manga. You can't go wrong with any of the series.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Scent of Worf posted:

Can someone explain to me why comic companies keep making these huge crossover events that seemingly everyone hates? I'm still pretty new to comics so I'm not sure if it's just a vocal minority that hates them or if they're really as hated as they seem

They're usually at least liked, firstly (unless they're atrociously terrible, but even those have their defenders usually). They're also fun line-wide teamups where all your faves get to hang out and often change the status quo in really fun and permanent ways.

For instance, Original Sin is a line-wide crossover event that most to all Marvel fans consider immaterial at best (quick summation: dudes murder The Watcher, bunch of people learn a whole bunch of hidden truths about themselves as a result) but even though it's a bad to completely ignorable event it probably had some of if not the best overall ramifications to the greater Marvel Universe, since it created Silk (one of the best new Marvel heroes created in the past decade at least), increased visibility of and gave Angela a more appropriate backstory considering she's an out-of-company addition, made Thor unworthy (thereby creating FosThor, the best interpretation of the character in a very long time), was the way Hickman reintroduced Captain America remembering what the Illuminati did to him in Hickman's A/NA run (which is probably the single best storyline of the run) and so on. It had a whole bunch of different ramifications, many of which are still felt to this day, and most-to-all of them were very good, even though they came out a bad event.

A lot of people complain about line-wife crossovers shaking up status quos but a lot of times without that shakeup writers just repeat storylines and themes over and over and over again because it's safe and what they know how to write.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Covok posted:

I loved the Deadpool movie and was super into the Spiderman TV series when I was 7. Any good jumping on points you know?

Duggan's run on Deadpool starting in 2011, I think (it runs for 45 issues and then is rebooted post-SW) is widely considered one of the definitive runs of the character, and it's still going. It's a really good run (although I have complaints about how it handles some supporting castmembers it has the single best and most emotionally effective Deadpool arc I've ever read), so you can read that. If you do make sure to read The Gauntlet, it's an Infinite Comic that's basically a part of the run even though it's technically a "miniseries".

That's a whole bunch of comics though and if you don't have time you can read just The Gauntlet and then read Spider-Man/Deadpool, because that's like 20 issues in total.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Find those Duggan issues of Deadpool with the White Man in them. All the 70s stuff was amazing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Other fun Marvel books:

Hawkeye (by Matt Fraction)
Superior Foes of Spider-Man (by Nick Spencer)
She-Hulk (two separate series; one by Dan Slott and the more recent one by Charles Soule)
X-Factor (at least the first five volumes of the 2005-ish series by Peter David)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Soule's She-Hulk was too good for this cruel world.

Slott's was great too although I think it went somewhat off the rails during its 2nd volume.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's the exact moment he stopped writing good comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He turned it into his Continuity Cop book and that kinda ruined it. But yeah, I liked it otherwise.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

For my birthday a buddy of mine gifted me Hickman's run on Fantastic 4 and a year sub to Marvel Unlimited. I liked what I read so I was wondering if, as someone who's only marvel reading was that run, I could jump into Hickman's Avengers/Infinity/Secret Wars stuff or if I'd need a whole bunch of other things to know what's going on.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Burger McAngus posted:

For my birthday a buddy of mine gifted me Hickman's run on Fantastic 4 and a year sub to Marvel Unlimited. I liked what I read so I was wondering if, as someone who's only marvel reading was that run, I could jump into Hickman's Avengers/Infinity/Secret Wars stuff or if I'd need a whole bunch of other things to know what's going on.
Nah you can just jump into his Avengers run. It's a really fun ride. I think you'll get more out of it if you read all his FF run though first (I haven't finished it but loved his whole Avengers run).

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Burger McAngus posted:

Toxxupation posted:

Okay, gently caress. I think I got the loving list down.

To enjoy Secret Wars fully, this is the reading order:

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four #1-5
Dark Reign: The Cabal
Fantastic Four: #570-588
FF: #1-11
Fantastic Four: #600-611 and FF #12-23 alternating every issue, so in other words starting with F4 600 before reading FF 12, then F4 601, then FF 13, and so on, only doubling together F4 605.1 and F4 605 as one. If it's read in the correct order you should start with F4 600 and end with FF 23.
This reading order for Hickman's run of Avengers, New Avengers, Infinity, and Secret Wars, except for from between Secret War #6 and Secret War #7, I read
Planet Hulk #1-5
Infinity Gauntlet #1-5
Old Man Logan #1-4
Thors: #1-4
E is for Extinction #1-4
Civil War: #1-5
Marvel 1872: #1-4
Siege: #1-4

After Secret War #9, I read
Old Man Logan #5

Then after, any Warzones that sound interesting or potentially cool.

Is there any other loving comic miniseries or oneshots I should be reading in addition to this.

Comics are loving dumb, guys.

Toxxupation posted:

I did this about a month ago. I can say post-trip report that of the minis I read (which were all ones that other people told me they liked) I really didn't like OML or E is for Extinction, and don't think either should be read (especially the latter, which is poorly written trash with terrible art). Civil War is a great mini (better than the event itself) but it's totally ignorable and basically doesn't function unless you've read the event, because it just sort of assumes you know what happened. 1872 is fine, but totally skippable. The only two minis I would argue that everybody HAS TO READ because they're plot-relevant are Thors and Siege (and the former is one of the best ideas ever executed perfectly), but Planet Hulk and IG are both super fun and some of the best minis in the event so is definitely worth reading.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 13, 2016

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

My wife really kind of loves comics, but has a hard time getting through series that are still running or span across a lot of trades. She recently read Bone and loved it, and is reading through Scud now. Any other complete, fairly self-contained comics/graphic novels that are a good carry-around read for someone who isn't big into traditional Marvel/DC stuff? I think she skews a little more towards Bone in her tastes, though she seems pretty open to anything.

Fake Edit: and for me, I read Locke and Key a while back (whenever the last hardcover came out), and absolutely loved it. I really appreciated the horror elements, I thought they were well rounded and thought out, without taking over the core storyline or drenching the visuals in gore. Anything else that I should check out that's along those lines? Bonus points for Lovecraftian or Cosmic Horror kind of stuff.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Locke and Key guys are currently making making a Tales From The Darkside series based on Joe Hill's scripts for a TV show relaunch that never happened. You should probably pick that up.
For cosmic horror, I loved Nameless, but the story is almost incoherent and it's full of graphic gore. I'll still recommend it :)
Rick Remender's Low is set in under water societies, which is almost space. Really dark driving plot with bold art and lots of big crazy fantastical sea creatures and machinery.

e: House of Penance is a new horror comic I'm way into. It's set in a fictionalized version of the Winchester House https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Mystery_House
where the insane heiress of a rifle company fortune has criminals and killers hired as workers continually hammering nonsensical additions to her house to ward off spirits.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 14, 2016

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Covok posted:

Hey, I haven't been into comics in a while (one could argue, ever). I've kind of regained an interest in Marvel comics and want to get back into comics overall. I'm a much bigger fan of sillier comics. I don't like it when comics take themselves too, too serious. Like, a little serious is fine, but I really hate when it gets too real, you know? Things getting too serious is why I kind of stopped reading a long time ago.

To give a better idea of what I mean, I'm a fan of Atomic Robo by Brian Clevinger which is a good tone on "upper serious for me" while I'm also a fan for things like the Batman: The Brave and the Bold TV Series for "lower serious." I'm looking for stuff in the costume crusader kind of business with tones in the range of the prior examples with it preferable being from Marvel (but, I'm always open to good).

So, anyone know any series that fit that kind of "light hearted, action filled, silly, not grim or gritty" superhero series? If this is like a super broad question, I'm sorry: I got the general vibe that comics have gotten darker over the years so that's an assumption I'm working under.

Not Marvel but DC just finished collecting the first volume of Batman Adventures in 4 trades, the secret best ongoing Batman series from the 90s because it was done up in the style of The Animated Series. It nails the tone and the dialogue of the show and really benefits from having a consistent creative team for 25+ issues, something that's rare for a big two all ages book. I'd recommend those 4 trades and the Paul Dini/Bruce Timm Mad Love trade to anyone who liked BTAS and BATB.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
What are some good Hulk trades that mostly deal with his multiple personality disorder?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've read a few original series, mostly sci-fi and i'm after something similar.

I've read Y the last man, Ex Machina, Transmetropolitan, Planetary, Global Frequency and 100 bullets. Decent sci-fi or something not too far off that is an original work rather than being superheroes

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jose posted:

I've read Y the last man, Ex Machina, Transmetropolitan, Planetary, Global Frequency and 100 bullets. Decent sci-fi or something not too far off that is an original work rather than being superheroes

The Incal.

It's basically "What if Ridley Scott and Stanley Kubrick did a poo poo ton of acid and made The Fifth Element?"

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Jose posted:

Lazarus is good semi-realistic near-future sci-fi about the ruling families of the post-apocalypse.

Tokyo Ghost is crazy-as-poo poo cyberpunk Tank Girl Judge Dredd craziness.

The Wicked &The Divine and Saga are also going to be common answers to this question.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jose posted:

Low, Black Science, Manhattan Projects, Injection, Omega Men and Marvel's current Vision, which is all psychological horror and barely connected to superheroes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Gonna be the guy who says East of West.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Looking for something like the Prophet reboot-- i.e. set so far in the future that humanity is nearly indistinguishable and/or really arcane representation of alien societies.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Castor Poe posted:

What are some good Hulk trades that mostly deal with his multiple personality disorder?
Probably best checking out Peter David's run for that. It's collected across a number of Hulk Visionary tpbs.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
you would probably like The Fuse and Invisible Republic

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Probably best checking out Peter David's run for that. It's collected across a number of Hulk Visionary tpbs.

Thanks.

Edit: Holy gently caress, they're expensive :psyduck:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Castor Poe posted:

Thanks.

Ah yeah, sorry. I had a quick peek on Amazon but didn't notice that the cheaper price was for used copies. I don't think there have been any recent reprints of his Hulk. You might be better off getting digital editions on Comixology, or subscribing to Marvel's digital service.

This one is $20 used or $30 new
https://www.amazon.com/Incredible-Hulk-Visionaries-Peter-David/dp/0785115412?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&tag=comicmixpadcwt-20

but the digital is €14 (which I'm guessing will be $14)
https://www.comixology.eu/Hulk-Visi...C9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Castor Poe posted:

Thanks.

The Epic collection is reprinting every Hulk comic (eventually). Volume 19 - Ghost of the Past is out now, and the next one comes out January 2017. Both good parts of David's run.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Covok posted:

I just started getting into comics, also, and my tastes seem quite similar to your's. One title that I have been loving that doesn't seem to get much hype is Spider-Woman. It hits most of your requirement. One thing is that its humor is more grounded than silly, but it's also got fun light action and tons of heart.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

drainpipe posted:

I just started getting into comics, also, and my tastes seem quite similar to your's. One title that I have been loving that doesn't seem to get much hype is Spider-Woman. It hits most of your requirement. One thing is that its humor is more grounded than silly, but it's also got fun light action and tons of heart.

Which Spider-woman? I remember there being multiple.

Lurdiak posted:

You want the Marvel Adventures books, all-ages books that featured simpler, one-and-done, and zanier stories starring various Marvel characters. It technically has its own continuity but the basics are pretty much identical to regular Marvel continuity. They're all very fun books, especially Marvel Adventures Avengers.

It shouldn't be TOO hard to track down some trades. They had pocket paperbacks for easy reading, like a manga. You can't go wrong with any of the series.

Thanks for the heads up.

Toxxupation posted:

Duggan's run on Deadpool starting in 2011, I think (it runs for 45 issues and then is rebooted post-SW) is widely considered one of the definitive runs of the character, and it's still going. It's a really good run (although I have complaints about how it handles some supporting castmembers it has the single best and most emotionally effective Deadpool arc I've ever read), so you can read that. If you do make sure to read The Gauntlet, it's an Infinite Comic that's basically a part of the run even though it's technically a "miniseries".

That's a whole bunch of comics though and if you don't have time you can read just The Gauntlet and then read Spider-Man/Deadpool, because that's like 20 issues in total.

Alright, that could work. Deadpool done right (funny in clever ways, not just wacky internet, and with pathos) is what made the movie work.

I'll check it out.

Equilibrium posted:

Not Marvel but DC just finished collecting the first volume of Batman Adventures in 4 trades, the secret best ongoing Batman series from the 90s because it was done up in the style of The Animated Series. It nails the tone and the dialogue of the show and really benefits from having a consistent creative team for 25+ issues, something that's rare for a big two all ages book. I'd recommend those 4 trades and the Paul Dini/Bruce Timm Mad Love trade to anyone who liked BTAS and BATB.

Sweet! The BTAS was an awesome. Didn't know they continued it in comics.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Covok posted:

Which Spider-woman? I remember there being multiple.
Jessica Drew. If you want to start from the beginning, start with #5 of the previous volume (this one: http://marvel.com/comics/issue/49517/spider-woman_2014_5) which is essentially a reboot (the current volume is a continuation with the same team). The first four are tie-ins to some Spider-verse event and do not share the same tone as what follows.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 23, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Sweet! The BTAS was an awesome. Didn't know they continued it in comics.

It continued for years and years and was always high quality poo poo up through the very end.

Here's your megalist of titles:

The Batman Adventures 1-36, Annuals 1-2, Holiday Special (so good), Mad Love
Dark Claw Adventures (Amalgam)
The Batman and Robin Adventures 1-25, Annuals 1-2
The Batman Adventures: The Lost Years 1-5 (fills in how Dick became Nightwing)
Batgirl Adventures 1 (takes place at the same time as Lost Years)
Batman: Gotham Adventures 1-60
Gotham Girls 1-5
Batman Adventures 1-17
Harley and Ivy 1-3

redbackground fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 24, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Starting with east of west.

I don't suppose comixology has a subscription service where i pay a set amount monthly/annually and can read what i want?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I am does, but it's extremely limited. Ironically, it's called comiXology Unlimited. You get access to a lot of series, but are generally limited to one or two story arcs. It's best to get a sample of things you may want to read, but doesn't have much long term use (as of right now). There's a one month free trial, which should be plenty of time to check out what you are interested in.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Uthor posted:

I am does, but it's extremely limited. Ironically, it's called comiXology Unlimited. You get access to a lot of series, but are generally limited to one or two story arcs. It's best to get a sample of things you may want to read, but doesn't have much long term use (as of right now). There's a one month free trial, which should be plenty of time to check out what you are interested in.

I'll second this. I'm almost done with my one month trial and while I'm definitely not keeping it, I did start a lot of comics that I very much enjoyed so I'll be buying them in physical going forward.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

Is reading Original Sin needed for Aaron's Thor books or am I fine jumping straight from God of Thunder to the Jane Foster stuff?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You're fine.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You should absolutely read Original Sin: Thor and Loki, though. Because it's very, very good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, this might be an odd thing to ask considering what I'm into, but I ran across this company called Valiant Comics due to, of all things, a tabletop roleplaying game that was on sale. Looking into it on SA at the official thread, it spoke highly of the company, after they reformed in 2005.

Going off that, I'm curious about this character X-O Manowar, mainly because his costume looks cool, and am wondering where is a good place to start reading, if I were to do so. I realize that Valiant, according to the thread, is smaller on their release schedule, but it looks like he has had a few series over the years and comics canon can be tricky. While I do like lighter things overall, I do also enjoy serious, hero issues like the things you would see in things like BTAS or Justice League: Animated, as long as they don't get dark and depressing in that "too real" way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Start here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Covok posted:

So, this might be an odd thing to ask considering what I'm into, but I ran across this company called Valiant Comics due to, of all things, a tabletop roleplaying game that was on sale. Looking into it on SA at the official thread, it spoke highly of the company, after they reformed in 2005.

Going off that, I'm curious about this character X-O Manowar, mainly because his costume looks cool, and am wondering where is a good place to start reading, if I were to do so. I realize that Valiant, according to the thread, is smaller on their release schedule, but it looks like he has had a few series over the years and comics canon can be tricky. While I do like lighter things overall, I do also enjoy serious, hero issues like the things you would see in things like BTAS or Justice League: Animated, as long as they don't get dark and depressing in that "too real" way.

All you need to know is in the OP for the Valiant thread that I wrote up. Including all the relevant issues of X-O Manowar. In case you can't tell I kind of have a thing for the character. Ignore all the other older stuff.