Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Holy crap, I just finished Superior Foes of Spider-Man Volume 1, and loved EVERY PANEL of it. I was skeptical, because I heard good things, but I've also heard bad things in general about Nick Spencer's writing.

This book is for anyone who loves Hawkeye, JLI, Ostrander's Suicide Squad, Tarantino, Elmore Leonard, Carl Hiaasen, and any stories about bad guys who aren't as bad as certain other bad guys.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
On that note, is the Defenders miniseries by the JLI team of Giffen, DeMatteis, and Maguire any good? I've never heard anyone actually discuss it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Can anyone recommend some really good recent miniseries or one-shots, or any generally stand-alone stories? A chain of local comic shops has one day a year where you can bring them any unwanted comics for $2 in back issue credit (up to four per store, so $8 in free back issues per store). I only buy trades and I'm done with binding, so I'm just interested in cool stuff to read. Last year I picked up the singles of Before Watchmen: Minutemen (liked it) and First Wave (hated it).

Is Five Ghosts any good? I'm just looking for things where I might get a complete, satisfying story if I end up with four or six individual issues.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I'm sure this came up in the old thread, but I'll re-ask it just in case.

I've never had an interest in DC characters as a whole. After playing through Injustice, that's changed. Are there any good DC Universe stories that I would like that includes a large cast of heroes and villians like Injustice?

Also, what's are some good Flash arcs and Aquaman arcs?

The best Flash arcs are probably Geoff Johns' late '90s/early 2000s run featuring Wally West as Flash, Mark Waid's early-mid '90s run that immediately preceded Johns' (also with Wally West), and the recent "New 52" Francis Manapul run featuring Barry Allen as Flash, starting from Flash #1. I don't think the writing is nearly as good in Manapul's run, but his art is absolutely stunning -- some of the best art that has come out of DC in the last decade.

As for large casts, I would have to recommend Grant Morrison's JLA run from the late '90s for cinematic, epic action featuring DC's superstar heroes, Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier, a beautifully-drawn period piece set in the early 1960s, and a series called 52, featuring several somewhat lesser-known heroes during a year when Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman dropped out of sight, written by four of DC's top writers (Morrison, Johns, Waid, and Greg Rucka).

Comedy option (although it is really good): Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis' Justice League International, kind of a sitcom take on superheroes from the late '80s, with lots of character development and comic relief.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Moai Ou posted:

A friend of mine wants to get into comics, but generally only reads true crime books. The only true crime comic I can think of is Bendis' Torso. Are there any others out there?

Failing true crime books, any other good crime stuff? I've already loaned her Criminal, and planning on Jinx. Gotham Central & Bendis & Brubaker's Daredevil are on my short list too.

Darwyn Cooke's Parker graphic novels and Catwoman: Selina's Big Score would be perfect for her.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man is about gritty, street-level, D-list supervillains planning heists, with quite a bit of tension-breaking comic relief.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

Before his X-Men, he did some Captain America (I think with Waid?) He also did the opening arc of Remender's Uncanny Avengers, but it was badly delayed and tbh I felt like a lot of it was phoned in by Cassaday.

It was John Ney Reiber's Captain America run, the run that preceded Ed Brubaker's (so 2001-ish). I've never heard anyone discuss it, though.

He also directed a Season 2 episode of Joss Whedon's underrated TV series Dollhouse, which is an interesting career footnote. Good episode, too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zoux posted:

Punisher recommendations? Preferably stuff not "drawn" by Ariel Olavetti.

I really enjoyed Garth Ennis' violent and darkly humorous Marvel Knights Punisher run (there is an Omnibus) and what I've read of his more serious and mature Punisher MAX run.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Moriatti posted:

I like Cable as a character (specifically in stuff like "Burned Offering") bit a lot of his stuff is realllly bad. Any suggestions on good Cable?

It was never collected, but there was a fantastic late '90s run on Cable that started drawing him away from the increasingly-incomprehensible X-continuity and into the larger Marvel Universe as a whole.

This all started with James Robinson, currently on a hot streak from writing DC's Starman, writing Cable's issue "-1" (from a month where Marvel released #-1 issues of every series) and #45-50, followed by his hand-picked successor Joe Casey writing #51-70. A lot of the art from this run was by Jose Ladronn, doing an incredible Jack Kirby pastiche, much like Tom Scioli does nowadays.

Unfortunately Casey's story never got a true ending, as Rob Liefeld took over, interrupting what Robinson and Casey were building toward.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

To expand, there was one issue of WatXM that was just Doop's job at the academy.
It could have easily been the year's best single issue of any comic.

That was Wolverine and the X-Men #17, drawn by Doop's co-creator Mike Allred, the artist of X-Force and X-Statix (where Doop first appeared; also required reading).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hekk posted:

My only experience with comic books were as a teenager in the early and mid 90s reading a buddy's X-Men collection. On a whim over last weekend I bought a month of Marvel Unlimited. After reading through some of this thread I saw that that Hawkeye (2012) comics were held in pretty high regard. I've read through the first six and am really enjoying both the art and story. To be specific, I like the retro(almost 1970s Bond like) covers and the use of shadows and interesting color. I don't know poo poo about comic books or art I just know this is a bit different than what I think of when I think comic.

I also enjoy seeing that Hawkeye is almost a regular dude. He doesn't have any insane godlike powers and often gets pretty messed up trying to fight against unlikely odds.

Does anyone have recommendations for either similarly unique art directions or more of the "everyday man rising to the occasion" type hero?

Immortal Iron Fist by the same creative team (Hawkeye writer Matt Fraction co-writing with Ed Brubaker and Hawkeye artist David Aja), Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and Daredevil, starting with Mark Waid's 2010 run.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Soonmot posted:

I loved Alias, but dropped The Pulse after a few issues.

In the early 2000's, Marvel had a miniseries called Deadline about a female Daily Bugle reporter investigating a mystery. I think it was only 4 issues, but that character Cat Farell, shows up in the Pulse. I think Deadline was a better story than the first arc of The Pulse, but I'm also not sure how easy it is to find.

I also loved Deadline, and Kat Farrell was a great character who never got used much again. The series also has some beautiful Guy Davis interior art, a shocking difference from the Greg Horn covers.

Jack B Nimble, I think you'd also love Ed Brubaker's Catwoman series from the early 2000s. It's a mainstream DC book (not Vertigo), but there is definitely some mature content -- it's a stylish crime-noir book that recasts Catwoman as an antihero, rather than her usual sexpot vamp villainess portrayal.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

UncleSmoothie posted:

I'm trying desperately to remember the name of a comic, help me out?

It was a book from the 90s originally, with a weird writer. It was a small-label book, maybe it was on Image or Valiant or something. It was a fantasy/sci-fi book with a title character who was vaguely super-powered but mostly just smart and clever.

It was just rebooted in the last couple of years under the same title. Lots of really great art and self-contained stories from issue to issue. At least when I was reading it, there wasn't any over-arching plot. Weird SF stories in a far future, distant galaxy with lots of strange aliens. There was a sentient tree sidekick at some point.

Any help? I want to get back into this book (if it's still running) but I cannot remember the name for the life of me and I'm away from my collection right now.

I haven't read it myself, but could it be Prophet?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How was the post-JLI Mr.Miracle series where he lives in suburbia?

Also, is it in trade?

I used to have all of them back in the day. It's okay -- not as good as JLI, but pleasant, entertaining, inoffensively funny, and it works well as a JLI spinoff. The first five issues are a Kirby pastiche, picking up on plot threads and ideas from his original Mister Miracle series.

But then G'nort guest-stars in #6, there's a fun Blue Beetle and Booster Gold story in #7-8, and from there, it ties into JLI a lot closer, culminating in Scott, Oberon, and Funky Flashman going on tour in space, with the prone-to-malfunctioning Mister Miracle android taking his place in the JLI (around Justice League America #36-42). There was a lot of decent art (and really silly late '80s fashions) from a guy named Joe Phillips who never did much else, if I recall correctly.

The series ran for 28 issues, but it was never collected. If you could track down all the back issues, they would fit perfectly in one custom-bound hardcover. If I hadn't sold mine off years ago, I would have done that with them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Good to know. I'm a big fan of the character, so I'm thinking of trying to get all his major appearances. His original series, JLI (already have that), the Seven Soldiers mini, etc.

Keep in mind that there was also a third Mister Miracle series in the very late '90s (I've never read it), and that the Mister Miracle in Seven Soldiers was Scott Free's protege Shilo Norman, who was introduced in Kirby's first series and became a supporting character in the latter half of the JLI-era second series.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I still feel alienated by most Marvel stuff that's off the street level but holy heck Immortal Iron Fist got dope. I really expected all its mystic hoodoo to turn me off, but that hasn't been the case yet. I don't even know what to ask for because "more stuff like this!" may not be what I'm even after. The whole thing has just been so drat huge and fun and colorful without getting too dumb. Any suggestions of where I can go from here? Been reading Hawkeye already and it's a joy for different reasons.

Have you read Daredevil yet? There are four important writers:

Frank Miller (early '80s, returned in the mid-'80s for "Born Again," arguably the best DD story ever, and then wrote the Man Without Fear origin miniseries in the early '90s)
Brian Michael Bendis (2000s)
Ed Brubaker (2000s, picked up directly where Bendis left off)
Mark Waid (2010s)

I think you might like Bendis' DD run, starting with DD Volume 2 #26, and if you enjoy that, seek out the rest. Bendis and Brubaker are street-level all the way, Miller is mostly, and Waid has a good blend of street-level superheroics mixing with the larger Marvel Universe.

Bendis' New Avengers Volume 1 is also good if you prefer your superheroes lower-powered and relatively grounded. It ran from 2004-2010 and was pretty much Marvel's flagship book during those years, tying into several major company-wide events. Most of the events are skippable, but it's my favorite Avengers era ever. There are still aliens, gods, and monsters, but the team remains underdogs throughout most of it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

signalnoise posted:

I am not a comic reader, but I like the idea of reading comics.

I am looking for:
Offbeat superheroes or Saints Row 4 style puckish rogues. Groups of friends going through unbeatable odds without getting metaphysical about it. OR I am looking for slick criminals A-Team style.

You definitely want:

The Losers, by Andy Diggle and Jock. A Vertigo series that inspired the underrated action movie of the same name, which came out the same summer as The A-Team and The Expendables, but got lost in the shuffle as a result. It was a good movie, though, and based on an excellent comic. There are five older, shorter trade paperbacks, or two newer, thicker ones that collect the whole series.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man, by Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber. A great crime/caper/comedy book about five of Spider-Man's lower-tier enemies working together as the Sinister Six. (There are FIVE of them.) The series has been collected in two trade paperbacks so far.

You may also like:

Villains United and Secret Six, by Gail Simone and various artists. When all of DC's villains teamed up for the big event called Infinite Crisis, six badasses decided to not join up, and made a team of their own. They're mostly antiheroes, and they were a lot of fun together. The Villains United miniseries that kicked it off to any of the subsequent Secret Six material. VU is one TPB, and Secret Six is collected in seven additional volumes.

Suicide Squad (the '80s series) by John Ostrander and various artists. A bunch of incarcerated supervillains and a few heroes who aren't quite right undertake dangerous missions for the government, knowing they'll receive suspended sentences if they survive enough of them, and they won't be mourned if they don't. Sadly, hardly any of this series was collected, but there is one TPB with the first eight issues (out of 67).

Identity Disc (I don't remember the creative team). A homage to The Usual Suspects, a mysterious criminal mastermind forces six Marvel villains (Sabretooth, Juggernaut, Sandman, Vulture, Bullseye, and fan favorite Deadpool) to team up to pull off an impossible heist. Five issues, collected into one TPB.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Baby Broomer posted:

Just watched Assault on Arkham, and Deadshot was my favorite character in Secret 6, so how much of pre-New 52 Suicide Squad is good?
All the John Ostrander stuff, most of which is sadly out of print. The Suicide Squad was introduced in the post-Crisis miniseries Legends in 1987, co-written by Ostrander and Len Wein and drawn by John Byrne. Legends also introduced the Justice League International lineup.

After that, Suicide Squad ran for 66 issues, starting in 1987, plus one Annual, a Doom Patrol/Suicide Squad Special, a JLI crossover (#13 of both series), a four-issue Deadshot miniseries, and a multi-part crossover called "The Janus Directive" that crossed over into issues of Checkmate, Firestorm, Manhunter, and Captain Atom. And it's all good stuff -- very much ahead of its time. Sadly, there is only one existing TPB, Suicide Squad: Trial By Fire, reprinting #1-8.

Ostrander returned to write the Squad in the mid-2000s, with an eight-issue miniseries that was collected as a TPB.

The team has also appeared in Arrow, with Amanda Waller, Deadshot, Bronze Tiger, and Shrapnel joining John Diggle and his ex-wife Lyla "Harbinger" Michaels. And there was a fantastic Justice League Unlimited episode where the Squad broke into the League's Watchtower headquarters.

EDIT: Of course redbackground beat me to it! :)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
In that case:

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and David Aja
Daredevil by Frank Miller (at least his brilliant "Born Again" storyline), followed by Brian Michael Bendis' run. If you end up liking Bendis, Ed Brubaker's run follows directly from his, and then Mark Waid is the current writer, whose run has been excellent (but a lot lighter in tone than Miller, Bendis, and Brubaker).
Starman by James Robinson
Batman: Year One by Frank Miller
Batman: The Black Mirror by Scott Snyder (focusing on Dick Grayson as Batman rather than Bruce Wayne)
Catwoman by Ed Brubaker

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I honestly think Watchmen would read better if you've already read mainstream superhero comics for a while and started to notice the archetypes and other patterns in more conventional storytelling. I definitely wouldn't recommend it to a brand-new reader trying to get hooked on anything.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Goatmask posted:

Sorry, I'm going to double post. I'm looking for non-superhero "graphic novels" (I'm not a big fan of the calling them this but I guess it gets the point across). Something that is very broadly recognised to be good, the sort of thing that would end up on a "100 best comics everyone should read" list.

Things I have read and enjoyed (to varying degrees): Black Hole, Ghost World, The Incal, True Swamp, Building Stories, Maus, Persepolis, From Hell, The Squirrel Machine, The Underwater Welder, I Kill Giants.

Most recently I read Black Hole (which I loved) and Ghost World (which I liked for its themes and how it went about them, but the story didn't grab me as much. Still enjoyed it though). I generally prefer something a bit more stylised or surreal.

An old favorite I don't see mentioned much is Box Office Poison, a black and white graphic novel written and drawn by Alex Robinson. It's not very surreal, but it's a good "slice of life" story about seven friends and neighbors living in New York.

I also loved Terminal City, Dean Motter and Michael Lark's quirky, retro-futuristic, screwball comedy noir. It was originally two miniseries (9 and 5 issues, respectively) published by DC/Vertigo, but Dark Horse has since reprinted all 14 issues in a "Compleat Terminal City" TPB that you can probably pick up cheap. Whether you end up liking the plot twists and punny names or not, Lark's art is gorgeous, as usual.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

For the "Graphic Novel" guy, I have no idea as to its availability but I always thought Kyle Baker's Cowboy Wally Show GN was kind of a missed gem. Very simple panel layouts that are used to tell these wacky stories. I don't think I've seen an attempt to duplicate the Marx Brother's slapstick timing in a comic that succeeded so well. At one point they are trying to film an adaptation of Hamlet while in prison.

I went through a huge Kyle Baker phase in the early 2000s and obsessed over everything he had done up to that point. Why I Hate Saturn (arguably his most famous graphic novel), You Are Here and I Die At Midnight (both gorgeously drawn and colored, with the manic energy of the greatest classic Warner Bros. cartoons), even his work on The Shadow and Dick Tracy, that he dismisses as forgettable work for hire.

But The Cowboy Wally Show (his first graphic novel?) remains hilarious to this day. I'm chuckling just thinking about some of it. Wally invites someone out to lunch with him, and the guy says "No thanks, Wally. I've seen you eat." There's a lot of classic Laurel and Hardy humor in there too (my dad loved them, and I grew up watching their shorts on VHS) as well as Marx Brothers and more old-school Looney Tunes schtick.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Bazanga posted:

I've been reading about the marvel celestials on wikipedia and am sorta wanting to pick up a few good arcs with them in it. Any suggestions? The only major arc I could really find was The Infinity Gauntlet. Maybe some Doctor Strange arcs?

The Eternals by Neil Gaiman and John Romita Jr., definitely. (I have the TPB if you're interested.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
As much as I dislike Mark Millar for his cynical cash-grabs and reliance on rape and other shock value, he wrote a surprisingly-good, safe-for-all-ages run on Superman Adventures (based on the mid-'90s animated series) that was collected in two small trade paperbacks.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm really, really enjoying the latest run of Hawkeye. Can anyone recommend anything in a similar fashion e.g. action hero but with a more down to earth focus?

Also really enjoyed the latest Batgirl "reboot" too - are the first 34 issues worth picking up? Seems odd they didn't just label it #1.

(I'm really just getting into comics as of recently).

Definitely pick up Mark Waid's Daredevil (it recently relaunched from a new #1, but start with the previous series #1 -- it might be labeled as Daredevil Volume 3), and also the recently-canceled Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

If you want some super-kung fu by the same writer and artist of Hawkeye, also get Immortal Iron Fist.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm expecting one or two of our local comic shops to have some Black Friday and Small Business Saturday sales, so I'm hoping to pick up some of the last back issues I've been needing for a binding project, and hopefully the last Fatale TPB. But if I can only pick one of these, should I go with Charles Soule's She-Hulk Vol. 1 TPB or Warren Ellis' Moon Knight TPB?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Are any of the Tick comics good? I remember watching the cartoon as a kid and liking the world and the weird heroes.

Agreed -- get the Complete Edlund TPB with the first twelve issues that he wrote. I've read some random other Tick stories over the years, including the "Karma Tornado" miniseries by Christopher McCulloch, aka Jackson Publick (creator of the Venture Bros.), and they have never been as good.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I don't like his work much at all, but I have to admit Mark Millar wrote some really great all-ages Superman stories in Superman Adventures, based on the Bruce Timm DCAU cartoon. They used to be collected in two undersized TPBs, but since Millar has burned all his bridges at DC, they are probably long out of print.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

SlimeSanction posted:

I recently finished reading Superior Foes of Spider-Man and I really enjoyed the Owl. What are some good stories he is featured in?

Early in Bendis' Daredevil run for sure, but I don't have the TPBs with the issue numbers in front of me.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Is JSA the best thing Johns ever did?

I haven't read everything he's written, but JSA, Flash, and his 12-issue Booster Gold run were all superb. 52 is great too, but he has to share credit with Waid, Rucka, and Morrison on that one.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Does Wesley Dodds play a part in JSA?

Unfortunately not much. He dies heroically in the very first story, JSA Secret Files #1, and his death and funeral (in JSA #1) bring the current team together and kick off the first story arc (JSA #1-4), which James Robinson and David Goyer co-wrote, before Geoff Johns came on board.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Superior Foes of Spider-Man, too (if it's on Unlimited). It's a hilarious book that would appeal to Hawkeye fans.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I kinda want to read Lemire's Green Arrow.

Is there anything I should know before I dive in? I know next to nothing about DC outside of what one might gather via some Batman and Superman movies and occasionally hearing friends mention weird/dumb poo poo they're mad about (and skimming DC-related posts in BSS).

I have the first volume of Lemire's run, if you're interested. It's Volume 4, but you really don't need to read Volumes 1-3 to follow it, or anything that predated the New 52 reboot from 2011. It might help if you're a fan of Arrow (the show), as Lemire's run is heavily influenced by it, but you should be fine otherwise.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Billy Gnosis posted:

I just finished X-Factor (2005) on unlimited and I really liked it. As someone who hasn't read that much marvel, whats a good next step? Something else Peter David wrote? Start of some of the other mutant titles from pre/post House of M?

I didn't stick around for the end of that X-Factor run, but I absolutely loved the first few years of it (through Volume 5 of the TPBs). If you enjoyed the character development and humor, try Milligan and Allred's X-Force/X-Statix, Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye, Spencer and Lieber's Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and the She-Hulk runs written by Dan Slott and Charles Soule.

If you want mutant books specifically, Whedon and Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men was fantastic, as well as the aforementioned X-Force/X-Statix.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wendell posted:

So I was looking into reading Birds of Prey, and fortunately Comixology provides a nice preview of most things they sell because it let me see that the dialogue in the first issue sucked, and it was drawn by loving Greg Land. Is there a time the series gets good, or is it a lost cause?

If I recall correctly, Land's work on Birds of Prey (the earlier Chuck Dixon stuff) was very decent, not the porn tracing that he's infamous for today. Butch Guice also contributed a lot of the art during Dixon's early 2000s run, and it was a solid book. Phil Noto started making a name for himself with some striking covers for Birds of Prey as well.

Then Gail Simone took the book over, and I still liked what I read of it (although I've never read the entire Dixon/Simone series, keep that in mind). Ed Benes' art was really cheesecakey in a J. Scott Campbell sort of way, but I didn't really mind it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

I read mostly Marvel, but I'm trying to see if there's anything I might like by DC. I read the first couple of New 52 Flash arcs (Mob Rule and Capt. Cold), but stopped after the team changed. I really liked the Azzarello Wonder Woman run, but again stopped when the team changed.

On the Marvel side, I'm reading Ms. Marvel, Daredevil and the most recent run of Deadpool. I tend to like light, street level adventure over anything "cosmic." Any suggestions for anything ongoing? Anything I should seek out in trades? I understand DC's gearing up for an event - should I just hold off for a few months?

Pick up Hawkeye, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, She-Hulk, and Moon Knight in trades. Superior Foes ended recently and is completely collected in three volumes, She-Hulk ended after 12 issues and was collected in two trades, and you want the one trade of Warren Ellis' Moon Knight run. Then we're all waiting for the long-delayed final issue of Hawkeye to come out, so a fourth and final trade is still a few months away. If you're enjoying Daredevil, you'll love them, and there was a recent Deadpool v. Hawkeye miniseries I've heard is also good.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Reason posted:

Does this thread also work work like a "what was that comic?" thread? I looked and didn't see one so I'll ask here. The main character was a dude with a weird skull face that had two spikey things coming out of both sides of his head and claws like Wolverine's on at least one hand, but just two of them. The comic that I read that had him in it was him fighting against Wolverine. What was that comic book character?

vv - Nope dudes face was like a skull with sort of spikey almost like cat whiskers coming out of both sides of his head, two on each side. This is driving me crazy. He wore a trenchcoat and was douchebag and thats all I can remember. I literally used that website to look at every single character it lists as having appeared with Wolverine and didn't see him listed.

Could it be Terror Inc.? Or possibly Death's Head?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
You said everything I would have said:

Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Sleeper
Incognito
Suicide Squad (Ostrander)
Villains United / Secret Six
Parts of Geoff Johns' Flash run
Parts of Thunderbolts

I love stories about bad guys being shown as "not such bad guys" as well. Deadshot and Captain Cold are among my favorite characters, thanks to these runs.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

You definitely want the Deadshot 4-part miniseries by Ostrander. It was recently re-collected in this trade.

I lumped that in with Ostrander's Suicide Squad in my head, since it's pretty much a tie-in, but the more recent Deadshot miniseries by Christos Gage (which came out almost a decade ago) was also recently collected in a TPB, and it meets this criteria as well. It's about Deadshot protecting his young daughter and her mother from local gangs, in almost a modern-day Western story.

Also: CRIMINAL, by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips! That's what the entire thing is about, although I still prefer their Sleeper series.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

LordHippoman posted:

So, I'm really new to comics, I just decided to try out reading them today, actually, because of that free Marvel Unlimited month promo code. I knew enough about the characters from various games and movies and whatnot, but I'm kinda stumped on what to do at this point.

I started with Avengers from 2010, because I figured that'd be easiest to get into, I know most of the characters already, and I've enjoyed it, but now I'm at the part where Avengers VS X-Men is apparently starting. And there's an Avengers series, an X-Men series, and apparently a separate Avengers VS X-Men series? Should I just keep reading Avengers, or do I need to hop over to AvX, or read X-Men too, or :psyduck:

Not to change the subject completely, but if you're enjoying Bendis' Avengers from 2010, backtrack to start with his New Avengers series from 2004, which most people agree is even better. Along the way, it will tie into Millar's Civil War (popular, but I disliked it) and Bendis' own Secret Invasion and Siege (which are okay). You can also read Ellis' Thunderbolts, Hickman's Secret Warriors, Fraction's "World's Most Wanted" storyline from Invincible Iron Man, and Brubaker's Captain America, which are all very good and somewhat related during this era. (It will be obvious when they fit in.)

New Avengers (2004-2010) was kind of the flagship book of the Marvel Universe during its run, and when it ended after Siege, that's when Bendis started the Avengers series you've been reading, and New Avengers (2010) ran concurrently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dunbar posted:

Thanks for this. I always like it when you can read stuff knowing how important it was at the time. Being a relatively new comics reader, I've always wished there was some kind of "canon" for each publisher to let you know the flagship/big deal type runs you really need to read if you want to be fully up to speed on the universe.

If you really want to be 2000s Avengers completists, Bendis launched a second title, Mighty Avengers, after Civil War, with a different cast (and purpose) than New Avengers. I didn't like the characters or the writing as much, but there was some nice Frank Cho art (he's very popular, just not here in BSS). New and Mighty Avengers crossed over at least once. After Civil War, that's when Ellis' Thunderbolts run fits in too.

Then Secret Invasion happens, and after that, a third Bendis title begins: Dark Avengers, with the same artist (Mike Deodato Jr.) and some of the same characters from Ellis' Thunderbolts. This is when Fraction's "World's Most Wanted" Invincible Iron Man story fits in.

You can also start Hickman's Secret Warriors post-Secret Invasion, after they are introduced in one issue of Mighty Avengers. In fact, Secret Warriors also started out written by Bendis, but Hickman took it over relatively early in its run. Secret Warriors has been a big influence on the Agents of SHIELD TV show, and I've also recommended it as the best "G.I. Joe vs. Cobra" story ever, if that helps sell it at all.