Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Looks like it's in the DC/Aliens trade.
https://www.amazon.com/DC-Dark-Horse-Aliens-Various/dp/1401266363
and on comixology by it's self.
https://www.comixology.com/WildC-A-T-S-Aliens-1998-1/digital-comic/477026

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

All of 'em are good. You should definitely at least read Doom Patrol before the crossover.
Bug is the only one that didn't tie in to Milk Wars (and Eternity Girl comes in after) but are you gonna deny yourself some Mike Allred drawn Kirby love?

edit: If you're going all-in, note that for their last six issues, Shade, Cave Carson and Mother Panic changed their titles and relaunched after the crossover.
And if you're curious about the version of the Justice League in Milk Wars, that's Steve Orlando's JLA team.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 4, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Exioce posted:

I've got £5 of Amazon video credit expiring this month and I'm looking to buy a Kindle collection of something adult and deep. Something along the lines of Watchmen and V for Vendetta. Any standout recommendations?

Tom King's The Vision.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They'll probably start a new run when the show's on.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They ran at the same time. Swap each storyline so that they meet at Death In The Family and when Robin dies (which actually happens in the second series of Batman Incorporated, also running at the same time.)
After that Robin is basically not a part of Snyder's Batman, so you don't have to keep them in sync.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Do not read the Gordon issues to save time. It is not good.

You mean Tomasi's run on Detective? Agreed.
If you mean Snyder's Superheavy, nah. It's a change-up in a long run at least. It's for sure not worse than the Joker storylines.
Plus a new reader's not having to wait close to a year for it to wrap up.

e:
\/
I'm replying to the person saying you should skip the bits with the new mech suit Batman. Tomasi moved to Detective Comics during the time, and it wasn't great.
Meanwhile Gleason did a Robin solo series that I enjoyed a lot.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 10, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That was the original artist, who left at #8 of the original series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm still on it, and it's my fave Remender. Maybe try the next arc.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Start Hellblazer here: https://www.amazon.com/John-Constantine-Hellblazer-Vol-Original/dp/1401230067

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lobo has a fun part in 52, and he was in Steve Orlando's JLA, which was okay, but nothing really revolved around him.

edit: The climax of the great Superman: American Alien was a fight against Lobo.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 12, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Zombie Dachshund posted:

What's a good place to start with Godzilla comics?

You can follow the whole IDW run: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_(comics)#IDW_Publishing
I'm not sure if there's major continuity between the series up till James Stokoe's Half-Century War, I didn't read 'em, but you can do that miniseries by it's self. Godzilla In Hell too, I think.

Half-Century War:

The old Marvel run is fun as well https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Godzilla-Marvel-Essentials-Moench/dp/0785121536

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 25, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think it's worth doing the whole Young Animal thing. Milk Wars sort of relies on you being into all of the comics. Not sure what you'd get from the twists on the characters if you aren't reading them.
If you're reading trades, wait for Doom Patrol Vol 2 to come out at the end of the month. It contains the issues leading up to the crossover.

edit: If you're getting all the stuff, note Eternity Girl and relaunched series with title changes (ie: Mother Panic>MP:Gotham AD, Shade The Changing Girl>Changing Woman) take place after Milk Wars.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 3, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Johns' was good. Much more solid than his Justice League of the time. It carried on well with Jeff Parker too.

Maybe the 2003 trades are worth a look if just for the Pat Gleason art.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 5, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Johns/Parker is better than Abnett, imo.
I don't really remember how either one read at their first issues, but they should both be fine to jump in to. I guess Johns' would be easier since it was a newly rebooted universe and all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Unless you're in for cheap digital trades, definitely do the omnibuses. As I understand, they get new pages to cover things like the Ras Al Ghul miniseries that Morrison only had a tiny part in, and will probably condense Final Crisis in the next one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I liked the Justice League United run she was on, but I don't think the collection ever came out.
It goes from the 'sneak peak' issue into #10 https://www.comixology.com/Justice-League-United-2014-2015/comics-series/15974

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bendis' new youth focused DC stuff might be up your alley.
Young Justice started really fun, and Naomi begins next week.

and for more Damian, make sure you've read Super-Sons where he's teamed with the latest Superboy. There's a recent omnibus of the series.
And if you like that, the same author did the excellent Superman Rebirth run, which features that Superboy, and a Batman and Robin run before that, featuring Damian.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 17, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-Men Red.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't think anything was really great till Hickman's Infinity and Secret Wars. You'll have to read his ongoing Avengers and New Avengers while you're at it, not just the event miniseries'.

edit: I did enjoy some of Bendis' run with the start of his first New Avengers and the Dark Reign stuff, and Secret Warriors is fantastic (incidentally, Hickman's start at Marvel) so it's not gonna be the absolute worst time, but I'd definitely skip out after Siege. Don't read AvX, Age of Ultron or Civil War 2, avoid Rick Remender after Uncanny X-Force, especially his Axis event (but definitely do read UXF.)
Or just skip all of it and jump to Hickman.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 15, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think the actual serial is on Archive.org.

DC are about to put out 'Superman Smashes The Klan' as a graphic novel for kids, about a American-Chinese girl in the 40s who's inspired by that radio show.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02/19/superman-smashes-klan-graphic-novel/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 30, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Keep reading Johns' series. I skipped GLC. The GL crossover events aren't great, but eventually Charles Soule gets on Red Lanterns, and that's totally great.
After Godhead, I fell off (besides Omega Men, which features Kyle) till Grant Morrison's new series, which I'm enjoying.

edit: If you liked Tomasi and Gleason's GLC from the pre-N52 era, follow them into N52 'Batman and Robin' and then Rebirth 'Superman'. They're a great team.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 3, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You can check the collections vs singles on the wiki.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beasts_of_Burden#Collected_editions

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Probably whichever DH omnibus has the Mignola story in it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nobody's ever gonna put new release comics on a subscription plan. They know if you're interested, you're probably already paying vast amounts over any monthly charge they could offer.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In the shipping thread posts, with cover images I always try to give a little hype to the new comics that are starting that week. 3 out of the 5 slots'll usually be for indies.
Hopefully that helps people looking for new things to get in on the ground floor of.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 22, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bendis just used them in Action Comics.
Jimmy thinks his new girlfriend is taking him to a hot new underground club and ends up at a Kobra rally.

Then they all get vaporized

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I started with Jeff Lemire's 'The Valient' mini which led into his Bloodshot stuff. I can recommend that route.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't think many people were fans of his Hawkeye and X-Men/Inhumans stuff. Old Man Logan saved his Marvel tenure from being a complete wash.
Futures End sucked, but his part of the story (I'm guessing it was the Frankenstein stuff) was the best of it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 20, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I didn't mind All-New Hawkeye at all, but I know people who despise it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

I've never really been blown away by anything of his that I've read...

I dunno if he's really the blow you away type of writer.
Best superhero Lemire: Green Arrow, Best creator owned: Essex County.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's his own art, so for more look at almost all of his indie stuff.

He's doing something weird for DC in a couple of weeks with Kieth Giffen (plus Lemire drawing backups.) Excited about that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 21, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I haven’t really kept up with DC comics in a long while but I found final crisis digging around in my garage and got sucked back in, only to find out that continuity was reset twice in the past ten years, smh

What’s the best DC stuff of the last decade? I tend to like Batman-as-detective, stories that focus on B and C listers like Question/Starman, more off beat stuff like Swamp Thing, and deconstruction takes like Animal Man, though I don’t expect Watchmen II to have been handled deftly.

You should definitely check out the New 52 Animal Man and Swamp Thing.
For offbeat stuff try China Mieville's Dial H and the Young Animal titles curated by Gerard Way. Shade The Changing Girl was my favourite one of those.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 23, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

radlum posted:

Besides the short Ellis run, is the modern Moon Knight stuff any good? I remember dropping the title as soon as Ellis left, but the Disney+ TV show made me interested in checking the more recent stuff

Rename this thread to 'Jeff Lemire Recommendations': https://www.comixology.com/Moon-Knight-2016-2017/comics-series/69152
Dunno about the Wood and Bunn stuff between them.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There are actually a ton of indie series about people investigating otherworldly horrors (if that's what you're looking for) Gideon Falls, Nameless (check out the protective runes on the space suits), Injection

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 1, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Locke and Key by Joe Hill/Gabriel Rodriguez

Animal Man by Jeff Lemire/Travel Foreman

House of Penance by Peter Tomasi/Ian Bertram

Nameless by Grant Morrison/Chris Burnham

and believe it or not, the current Hulk series is a legitimately great horror comic.
The Immortal Hulk by Al Ewing/Joe Bennett

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 6, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Get on the recent Lemire/Cates series and follow that through to the wacky world of the current Marvel cosmic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

YorexTheMad posted:

Thanks for the recs! That Justice League run sounds up my alley so I'll probably check that out first.

Note they're series starting in 1987. You don't wanna find yourself reading the New 52 JLI.