Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Also if you would recommend comics to a non-comic book person, what would you recommend? I recently tried to read Watchem an V for Vendetta, but it was just grimdark edgy oh-so-smart bullshit to me. Loved the Watchmen movie though.

There's a lot of great comics from superheroes to horror to comedy to historical fiction to everything else. What kinds of books/movies/manga do you like? Otherwise, people will just start spitting out their favorites at you.

(Watchmen may be considered one of the best comics ever, but it's not something I would recommend to new readers as it relies too much on an understanding of the superhero conventions that it is subverting.)

EDIT: I haven't read Black Summer, but it is written by Warren Ellis, who is generally considered a good writer, so probably worth checking out. Looks like it was put out along with a bunch of other series from Avatar Press and I wasn't exactly impressed by his output for them. I do have a bunch of his other stuff that I could recommend depending on what your tastes are.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Might wanna check out Unwritten. I haven't kept up with it, so I'm not quite sure what's going on now (there's a new title?), but there's nine volumes so far.

Natural progression from Y is Saga, but that's currently running. There's three collections out, the fourth should be coming out in five months or so.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bendis' Daredevil
Brubaker's Daredevil
Waid's Daredevil
Bendis' Alias
Brubaker and Fraction's Iron Fist
Fraction's Hawkeye
Maybe the recent Superior Foes of Spider-Man?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

For a very straight, pure vision of Superman, totally check out All Star Superman. It helps that Frank Quitely is an amazing artist.

I'd also say to check out the current run of Daredevil written by Mark Waid.

Maybe check out Grant Morrison's Animal Man run for a deconstruction of a superhero.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

All Star Superman is just such a good and pure take on the character and, gently caress, I need to reread it now.

petrol blue posted:

On that note - does anyone know any good stories told from the bad guy's POV?

Ed Brubaker and Sean Philips do a ton of crime comics together. Their best known is probably Criminal about various, well, criminals and are pretty much straight forward.

Incognito has a "powers" bent following some super villains in witness protection.

Sleeper is the closest to a typical super hero comic, following a guy in deep cover in a powered criminal organization and is heart breaking.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've read a lot of X-O and some Eternal Warrior, Harbinger, and Rai. Those are all broadly set in more realistic settings and fairly serious in tone. Little of the bright colors and awe of a "cape" book.

X-O is kind of Iron Man, guy in a suit protecting his people with some aliens mixed in.

Harbinger is kind of like Marvel's mutants with a small band fighting a big corporation.

Eternal Warrior starts off different, but ends up as a post-apocalyptic tale.

Rai starts as a detective story set in future Japan (I only read 3-4 issues of that).

I hear Archer & Armstrong and Quantum & Woody are more lighthearted and funny.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I really love Jaamie's Love and Rockets work. Just start with the first volume of Locas and go from there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Of the two that I've read:
- Red Mass for Mars was good, but written about half a decade too late. It follows themes already explored by other writes in the early 2000's and doesn't add anything new.

- Red Wing is a pretty basic story, but there are really inventive illustrations throughout.

I'd say both are middle of the road Hickman, but way better than Transhuman.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lumberjanes and Cleopatra in Space are great. Haven't read it, but I'm keeping Princeless in my mind for when my niece's get old enough.

It's not a book, but you have 2 days left to order the eight Batgirl and Supergirl prints from Mike Maihack.
http://cowshell.com/store/prints/batgirlsupergirl/batgirlsupergirl-print-bundle/

(You can read them here:)
http://mikemaihack.deviantart.com/gallery/37937335/Batgirl-Supergirl

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 13, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Hickman's Avengers is taking lots of cues from Warren Ellis' work. Check out:
Authority (and Storm Watch as a prequel to that which you don't have to read)
Planetary
Newuniversal (it's the origins of the "White Event" in Avengers)
Secret Avengers
Moon Knight

Much more jocular, but everyone here will tell you that you should read N.E.X.T.Wave.

Dunno how well it holds up, but Millar's Authority Ultimates has the same kind of sensibility, if not as serious (more "serious"). (meant to say Ultimates, but Millar also wrote some Authority after Ellis. It's not as good, but worth a look if you're into the ultraviolence.)

Maybe some X-Men like Morrison's New X-Men or Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.

vvv Absolutely! vvv

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 14, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not the biggest Judge Dredd fan, but I'm kinda of interested in the Dark Judges. Is there a short run and/or collection that features them? Bonus if it's available digitally at the 2000 AD store. I don't need anything comprehensive, just want a bit of a taste.

Fake edit: This seems like what I'm looking for. Is it any good?
http://shop.2000adonline.com/products/digitalgn_judge_dredd_the_dark_judges

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

redbackground posted:

There is a Titan Books over-sized collection called "Judge Dredd: Featuring Judge Death" that you might be able to find cheap?

Thanks, but I'm slowly transitioning to digital. *goes to buy four or five new TPBs from Amazon* I grabbed the book that I linked above. I'll see how it is once I whittle my current pile down some.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sandman is on there...

You got a good deal of crime books. I'd give Casanova a read. The art by the brothers who did Daytripper, the story by the guy who wrote Sex Criminals. It's about a dimension hopping super spy, pop culture, and acronyms.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ultron is in Runaways volume 2. Runaways is good!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It's definitely a put on a table when reading kind of book. It opens up fairly well and I don't remember any gutter loss issues or anything like that.

The Love & Rockets books are definitely easier to read, though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

She's just asking the wrong doctor.

Nemesis would science the *gently caress* out of that door.

So I've seen tons of Nemesis panels, but never read a book with him. What do I need to get?

VVVV thanks!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 30, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The expected Image sale at comiXology is going on.
https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=4554

The only thing there that I'm interested in and not already reading is Remender's Black Science. Any thoughts on the book?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I think this thread should be titled "Just read Saga already."

Put it this way, I haven't cared about the well being of characters so much as I have in the last arc and there is almost no physical danger to them for most of that time. I take that as a sign that BKV made me deeply care about the characters as people.

Also, seeing the word "lying" brings up so many feelings.

And Staples manages to make some of the most beautiful (and disgusting!) art every month.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 9, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

EAB posted:

Haha, alright then I'm sold. I was intrigued by the cover art and then read that its a space opera then got super interested.

The first four (:nws:) pages of the first issue shown here set the tone of the series perfectly. The first issue is a buck on comiXology if you need a preview.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=10802

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

So I've been reading a lot of Grant Morrison (Doom Patrol, Animal Man, All-Star Superman), as well as Saga and Kill Six Billion Demons, and I'm really liking the weird bullshit that happens in those comics. Are there any other good surreal and bizarre comics like these?

Casanova, now available in nice hardcovers!

The first issue of Universe! popped up at Panel Syndicate for pay what you wish. It's a stand alone story and pretty dang good.

Maybe Manhattan Projects?

I'd highly recommend Hickman's Fantastic Four if you want something more superhero.

Morrison's Flex Mentallo is exactly what you'd expect from a Morrison book.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 11, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I think most of the issues tell complete stories that aren't always directly connected with the next

It's written in a structure that resembles that of ancient myths, which works with the story that it's telling.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Opopanax posted:

That really only seems like a problem if you insist on your stories being linear

Except for the one time travel issue, it is linear...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Did one of them do the story where the antichrist was going to be born out of some dude's rear end in a top hat to mock the birth of Christ? That one was terrible.

That sounds like a Goon story.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goon#The_.22Satan.27s_Sodomy_Baby.22_.22Controversy.22

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't think that X-Men series is that great, but I've only read the first six issues or so.

All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men are the two series that you kind of have to read to get the big picture of what's happening.

I hear good things about All New X-Men, the Storm, Cyclops, and Magneto solo runs, and that X-Force is good in a mind bendy way. But I haven't really kept up with anything, so can't speak from experience.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

semicolonsrock posted:

Looking for recommendations!

I've recently read and enjoyed: Saga, Rat Queens, Chew, Sex Criminals, and Nowhere Men (in roughly that order of appreciation). What other comics should I read to get more of the same?

I'd always recommend Hickman's work. Manhattan Projects, East of West, Nightly News.

Casanova. A million times Casanova.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Taking a shot as someone who doesn't read a lot of comic books, I am looking for two different things: gritty cyberpunk comics that sort of channel the feeling of Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, and Alien. I am a big fan of the work of Tsutomu Nihei who does a really good job of giving the feeling of an isolated protagonist trapped in an overwhelming and hostile environment.
Check out Old City Blues. The guy loves old animes and it shows. Future noir detective stories.

You can read it only for free here:

http://milonogiannis.com/OCB/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I love Cerebus. There, I said it.

On the other hand, I haven't read anything by Brian Wood that was better than average...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

For Kirby crazy, pick up OMAC or Forth World or Kamandi.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Punisher: I thought Frankencastle was stupidly awesome. I also really liked Rucka's run, though I never hear anyone talk about it. Ennis' Punisher MAX series is great, but I don't think it's available on Unlimited.

Venom: Remender's run is good.

You may also like Scarlet Spider from around the same time. Kind of has the same sensibility of taking a Spider-Man-but-not character and seeing what they do with the powers (and great responsibilities).

Ellis' six issue run on Secret Avengers is in the same style as Moon Knight (series of one off stories) and I'd recommend it for the Black Widow time travel issue alone. Or Shang-Chi doing kung fu in space.

Speaking of Ellis and B-list characters: mother loving NEXTWave!

And I can't help but tell you to read Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

decapode posted:

So I'm looking for more comics about women, or with predominantly female teams.
Currently reading Ms. Marvel, Elektra, Rat Queens, The Wicked + The Divine, Saga, Ody-C, and Batgirl.

Bonus points for queerness, obvious or implied (I read Harley Quinn for the Harley/Ivy arc :kiddo:)

Rucka and JH Williams III's Batwoman. Start with Elegy:
http://www.amazon.com/Batwoman-Elegy-Greg-Rucka/dp/1401231462

Then continue to the book JH Williams III wrote on his own.

Then get really pissed off when you find out how DC treated the creative team when they wanted to leave the book

(I haven't read it post-Williams' run)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Since you like a lot of Image books, Pretty Deadly is like 99% female creative team and has a second series out this year. Glory ticks a lot of that if you like or can handle sprinkles of violence, Bitch Planet and Shutter are both ongoing at the moment. If you like Wicked and The Divine, Young Avengers focuses on a mainly female and/or queer team.

I'd also say to take a look at Lazarus.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I mean, the Abnett and Lanning stuff is *really* good, but it's also a LOT to read, and the Guardians don't happen until AFTER the second event

My friend asked the same thing around Xmas and when I looked at their GotG, well, you really, really need to read Annihilation and Conquest before reading that title. And the series ends without a conclusion going directly into Thanos Imperative.

I told him to get Infinity Gauntlet instead...

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 10, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I like that whole DnA run, I just meant that the GotG part of the run does not stand on its own. It is very much tied in with all the other events happening at the time. It comes directly out of Conquest taking no time to introduce the characters, it ties into War/Realm of Kings, it ends with a cliffhanger that is resolved in Thanos Imperative, it even gets side tracked by Secret Invasion by the fourth issue. It's not a good stand alone series to give someone that's a fan of the movie.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Baby Babbeh posted:

I got a Scribd subscription recently, and it's got comics on it and I'm enjoying the fact that I can read comics on a tablet while sitting on the toilet like a goddamn king. Is there anything on Scribd I should check out? I haven't really kept up with comics since I was a teenager, so you can safely assume I haven't read most things, but I'm also less interested in mainstream superhero stuff than I used to be. I like film noir, good art, dialog that isn't too on-the-nose, and supernatural elements, if that helps.

Alan Moore's From Hell
I haven't read Rocketeer, but I hear great things about it
Take a look at the books from Top Shelf to see if anything catches your eye: their books are generally pretty good and are a wide variety of genres

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sion posted:

Okay so what would you recommend?

I've only read the webcomic before it started getting a print run, but I really liked Cleopatra In Space! Preteen Cleopatra and her talking cat get into adventures featuring rocket ships and ray guns.

It's only two issues in, but Unbeatable Squirrel Girl was a hoot. It's written by the guy who worked on the Adventure Time comic for a long time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

MrCompson posted:

I'm basically looking for a pretty broad range of new comics to add to the pile

Well, you read pretty much everything I would recommend except for Casanova. Check that out. There's three completed runs and a fourth one began last month.

You may also like Daytripper.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cyphoderus posted:

James Robinson's run on Starman - Hard to find, but in terms of superhero stories, this is the best character-driven stuff I know of.

Nope, they did a six part omnibus a few years back. The hardcovers might be hard to find, but the paperbacks are readily available!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Shameless posted:

They only did two volumes in paperback, cancelled the line before vol 3 came out.

Really? loving DC.

(where's the rest of my JLI???)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

It is currently so so slow. It makes you feel Bendis is going fast at his most decompressed.

Can you attribute its slowness to the speed force? :flashfact:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I haven't read Crossed, but you may like Preacher from your description.

Are you aware of Predator vs Judge Dredd vs Aliens? Because it is ridiculous and amazing.

Predator Versus Judge Dredd Versus Aliens https://www.amazon.com/dp/1616554797/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_uRndvb11FN2F3

Edit: let me throw out recommendations for Fear Agent, Manhattan Projects, and, most of all, East of West.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 21, 2015