Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I joke around about the Raiders being dumb and post ”lol” when they fumble the game way in GDTs but on the inside every Raiders loss hurts like a sonofabitch and ruins the first half of my week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
During the 2000 season I was, for the most part, a Vikings fan. I had a math assignment that year given by the coolest teacher ever, to follow an NFL team and record stats, etc. I was assigned the Vikings. They went 7-0 with Cullpepper and Moss lighting it up. I bought a Vikings hat. I didn't even know the Giants made the playoffs until they kicked the ever-living poo poo out of the Vikings in the NFCCG. I couldn't enjoy that victory that much, because if my team had won the super bowl the prize was 10 free get out of homework passes and an automatic 100% on a test of my choice.

I swung back to the G-men the following weeks and had yet another purple team break my heart. I still have a soft spot for the vikings.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 26, 2014

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to
I used to cheer for both the Niners and Packers. At the same time. I'd wear shirts for either team. In the mid-90's. I also had a soft spot for the Bears which makes the Green Bay thing even weirder.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
I dont think it's fair to judge people for the football things they did as a kid. If your parents dont follow the sport, it's easy to just glom onto whatever's popular at the time. In my case, it was the Dolphins because of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. I had a blanket and poo poo. Dodged a bullet with that one.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
The main skeleton in my closet is that I don't care any more and I don't really feel much of anything about the Cleveland Browns aside from a few players and former players which whom i hope the best for

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I was a Bronco's fan until about 1995 because my dad was one and we hated the Seahawks and made fun of Dave Krieg a lot. Then I went through a "sports are dumb, stupid jocks" phase until college and came back to NFL in 2004ish.

Also I owned and wore this type of Michigan jacket despite living in Washington State and having no relatives or even knowing anybody who attended the school :negative:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I was a Cowboy fan until 1995 when I decided I didn't like Jerry Jones. I was 11 at the time. I haven't had an NFL team since.

My grandfather did the best he could to raise me a Longhorn fan. Broke his heart when I went to TTU. I still have a hard time rooting against the Longhorns.

I had never seen a TTU game until my Senior year of HS. I hadn't even really been aware of TTU until the honors college invited me up. I grew up about as far away as you can from Lubbock while still being in the state of Texas (though to be fair, far south east Texas, past Houston is further). The only opportunity I would have had to see TTU on TV prior to my moving out there would have been when they played UT or A&M and we didn't really watch college football outside of the rare big UT game.

First TTU game I saw was in Austin when we got completely run out of the house. The smug out of the Longhorns after solidified my decision to go to TTU, though.

And here's the doozie:
I skipped my grandmother's funeral. The official reason was that it was happening in the weekend between 4 midterms. The real reason was that I didn't want to miss the TTU v Missouri game (though I should have missed it in retrospect... 4 picks including 2 pick 6's in a row.. what a terrible game).

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I've only been following football closely since around 2008 when I'd go to Kansas football games instead of their basketball ones because it was really, really easy to get seats right near the field if you just showed up an hour early.

I'm still unclear on what every position does what. Defensive line and offensive line positions greatly confuse me.

I "root" for the Titans, but only because one of my first memories was the "One Yard Short" game, but honestly, I probably know the names of more Packers and Giants players than ones on Tennessee.

I don't completely hate the Patriots because they won championships when I was a kid and wouldn't mind seeing them win another one as long as it isn't in some snoozer with the Giants again.

I still haven't been to an NFL game, even though I've been to two MLB ones and I don't even like baseball.

I'm kind of a horrible football fan.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I stopped following sports entirely because of "lol dumb jocks" for like eight years back around 1998.

I wanted the Niners to trade for McNabb instead of keeping Alex Smith when Harbaugh came aboard.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 26, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I wanted the Niners to trade for McNabb instead of keeping Alex Smith when Harbaugh came aboard.

I'm not seeing a problem here.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chichevache posted:

I'm not seeing a problem here.

Of course you aren't.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Of course you aren't.

You don't think Harbaugh could have revived McNabb's career? I mean yes, Smith ended up working out wonderfully, but McNabb might have worked even better than Smith or Kap have so far. Plus he's cool as hell.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Probably Magic posted:

I still haven't been to an NFL game, even though I've been to two MLB ones and I don't even like baseball.

To be fair you can go to a professional baseball game for like 15 bucks. I couldn't give two shits about the Cubs but I've been to like 4 Cubs games because, eh, why not, you know? It's about as much as a movie and maybe I'll get a foul ball.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I was 10 in 1995 and was just getting into football. My parents had gotten me a big poster with all the team pennants, and I decided to pick one to be my favorite team. Even my dumb little 10 year old self didn't want to be a bandwagon fan, so I eliminated any team that had won a Super Bowl. I thought maybe the Buffalo Bills, because they had just been to the Super Bowl a bunch of times and would surely win one soon, but then someone told me they were adding two new teams for the 95 season, so I decided to pick one of those, get in on the ground floor. And, as a kid living in Idaho, it turned out one of those teams was pretty close to me! So I picked that one.

It was a couple months before someone explained to me the difference between Jacksonville, Florida and Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Still, I was a dedicated little Jaguars fan for the first few years of my football life. Had a Tony Boselli poster in my bedroom. The 1999 season kind of broke me, and at that time I was already drifting toward the Seahawks. But I still pull for the Jags a bit. You'll get there someday guys. :unsmith:

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I liked the Seahawks when they were in the AFC. For whatever reason I got pissed when they lost an important game to Kansas City this one year. I think their kicker missed a chip shot.
Anyway, now that they're in the same division with the 49ers, my new AFC crush is on the Browns. It'll pay off at some point.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Chichevache posted:

You don't think Harbaugh could have revived McNabb's career? I mean yes, Smith ended up working out wonderfully, but McNabb might have worked even better than Smith or Kap have so far. Plus he's cool as hell.

McNabb was hung out to dry by the Redskins and had plenty left in the tank and I can't believe we're agreeing on something.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
As a Pats fan my first distinct football memory is watching the Bears murder them in the Super Bowl. :corsair:

My recall of the details is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure it killed my interest in football for at least a decade.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I posted this in N/V but what the heck...

I recently looked at Steve Ross' Wikipedia page to see how old he is and if he has any major illnesses that might force him to sell the team or die soon. I think he is a terrible owner and sports businessman and we won't be any good until he is out of the picture.

I don't want him to die, but I want the team to be respectable at some point. I would settle for a scandal that forces him to sell.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Ehud posted:

I posted this in N/V but what the heck...

I recently looked at Steve Ross' Wikipedia page to see how old he is and if he has any major illnesses that might force him to sell the team or die soon. I think he is a terrible owner and sports businessman and we won't be any good until he is out of the picture.

I don't want him to die, but I want the team to be respectable at some point. I would settle for a scandal that forces him to sell.

Also, you never once stopped eating tuna fish despite being a purported lover of dolphins.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice
- I was convinced that Noted Heisman Winner Troy Smith would set the NFL on fire

- I thought Darren McFadden would be better than Adrian Peterson

- Since I have no geographical allegiances, I chose to follow the Ravens because my created player got drafted by them in Madden Superstar mode

:cripes:

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
- I wore the letters off a Lavarr Arrington Giants jersey I bought on clearance on their website for $10.

- My aunt used to work in the philanthropy/charity department of the Redskins (unsurprisingly they treated the department like poo poo, her building wasn't even up to code, she no longer works there), and used to get me tickets to see them play the Giants at FedEx field every year, where I always wore the above mentioned Lavarr Arrington Jersey (and was mercilessly heckled and screamed at).

- When I was 7 my mom bought me a Dolphins Starter jacket that I ripped the pockets off while hopping a fence.

- I was also a 49ers fan because my uncle from San Francisco bought me a tshirt and they were winning Superbowls every other year. I have worn that tshirt to every concert I have ever been to, and it currently has no sleeves, and two giant holes in the front and back. Basically it's a glorified red toga with half the 49ers logo on it

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

I was pissed when the Giants hired Tom Coughlin.

I desperately wanted them to hire Romeo Crennel. Whoops.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I was more of a Giants fan until the late 90's.

I had a soft spot for Drew Bledsoe.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

During the Cowboys dynasty of the early/mid-90s I didn't give a poo poo about football, in part because I was too busy hanging out with delinquents the cool kids behind school in HS testing the boundaries of various :2bong:, playing video games, going to concerts and being an aggressively mediocre musician.

By the time I started paying attention to football after college the Cowboys sucked and have sucked to some degree ever since. It's possible that I'm some form of football kryptonite. You're welcome.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I joined a bunch of "I stand with Paterno" groups when the scandal first broke.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

I didn't start following football until the Colts 2006 Super Bowl run, when a bunch of my friends made me watch.

I've been more invested in the Broncos successes and failures than the Colts these last two seasons.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
I'm a dedicated Kentucky football fan that hasn't missed a home game in years and will likely spend upwards of $10,000 this coming season for premium seating and travel to at least one away game.

I believe that Mark Stoops, improved recruiting, facilities upgrades and a new S&C program will pay dividends and have UK competing in the SECE.

Secretly, I believed Joker Phillips was an exciting offensive mind who tangibly improved recruiting and that Rock Oliver, former head S&C coach for the Bengals, was going to elevate Kentucky Football from the 7-8 win plateau it reached under Rich Brooks.

Vaya con Dios!!!
Aug 14, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

hahaha

I had a 49ers Starter jacket in the mid '90s that I convinced my mom to get me. I then decided it was ugly (it was when they had all the black on their uniform) and didn't want to wear it. I didn't have the heart to tell my mom I didn't like it. When I watch football I only care if the game is good. I don't really root against anyone. I like to root for the Browns but generally I can't even bring myself to watch those games, since they're not good. The 49ers and Seahawks rivalry is killing me.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

One time, I was driving in El Paso and I hit an old lady in a crosswalk and I just kept going.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hahaha my goodness.

Also, all of you listing your starter jacket/team sweater wearing skeletons. Those aren't skeletons, those are awesome.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I loving hate bars. Hate the noise, the lights, the screaming, the lack of personal space, the lovely, overpriced fried food, and the need to sit and do nothing else but watch TV for three hours.

I still go to the bar to watch MSU games here to try and get alumni to come to the community service events I set up for the alumni club or to raise money toward our endowed scholarship. When I'm not doing that or watching the game, I'm probably sitting in the corner on my laptop working on email. At the bar.

I'm simultaneously the irritating do-gooder and the weird, borderline autistic dude at these game watches.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Miko posted:

Hahaha my goodness.

I was in pretty heavy denial up till the Freeh Report

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
#freejoewebb

I said this a few times and boy do I feel dumb. The world wasn't ready for is unique brand of quarterbacking.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I was convinced that Jim Mora was a good coach, Aaron Curry & Lofa Tatupu were HoF-bound, 4-3 linebackers were the most important players on a defense, that its better to have three decent receivers than to have just one great one.

I had no issue rooting for the 49ers during the TO years and still feel that half of the rivalry is solely because of the Harbaugh-Carroll connection plus the NFC West finally having more than one playoff team at a time.

I thought Brady Quinn was going to be great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I love the poo poo out of wild, spread offense, pass-happy "gently caress defense" games, but somehow also love the triple option. Maybe I just love gimmicks.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Despite being from Missouri, I supported Nebraska (due to my father attending grad school there during the Mike Rozier/Turner Gill era) up to and including my freshman year of HS, and got so much grief when Mizzou beat them in '03.

I was occasionally ostracized in football discussions by my friends in HS for alternately proclaiming the greatness of SEC football and hating Notre Dame (for context, this is in a Catholic high school in St Louis, which has always wanted Missouri to be in the B1G over the SEC because "it's a better cultural fit").

I still believe Ty Willingham was fired from Notre Dame because he was black.

With brief exceptions whenever the Chiefs are good (dad's from KC and thus I followed them much more than the Rams), I don't really like watching the NFL and believe that it should get maybe half the media coverage and attention it does today.

I think that Roger Goodell is not the worst commissioner in sports, despite what many of you here would proclaim.

My home town of St Louis would be better off without an NFL team, seeing as we already don't give much of a poo poo about it anyway and the Dome is a massive crap-heap no one knows what to do with.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

DJExile posted:

I love the poo poo out of wild, spread offense, pass-happy "gently caress defense" games, but somehow also love the triple option. Maybe I just love gimmicks.

I feel this. Part of why I love college football so much more than NFL.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

DJExile posted:

This is nothing to be embarrassed about.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
When I was little I was all about Joe Montana. When he moved to Kansas City I even had one of those Tasmanian Devil sweat shirts where he wore the jersey for the Chiefs. When he went away I stopped caring about football for awhile. Then I developed a fandom for the Patriots after Parcells left because Drew Bledsoe was a tough bastard. I was not a fan of Pete Carroll. I 100% lucked into the reign of Brady and Belichick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
When I was younger I loved baseball much more than football.

• Locked thread