Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kayakyakr posted:

Unless you went to a college with a D1-A football team. Then you're a bad person if you don't root for them.

No it's still a dumb game and you should not be deciding your educational future based on which football team you want to cheer for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

No it's still a dumb game and you should not be deciding your educational future based on which football team you want to cheer for.

You misunderstand me. You should not decide your educational future on the team you want to cheer for, but you should decide the team you cheer for based on your educational past.

Also it was a bit tongue-in-cheek.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I know but people actually care for some reason.

Everyone should just root for Oregon. They are rad.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

MourningView posted:

It's kinda scary how much resistance a rational statement like this gets

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
On the other hand I keep watching Iowa every single week even though there has never been a more consistently boring football program, so I am a gigantic hypocrite.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

You misunderstand me. You should not decide your educational future on the team you want to cheer for, but you should decide the team you cheer for based on your educational past.

Correct. Of course you can watch/support other teams as well, but if you watch/root for some other team and NOT your own you are a traitorous garbage person. Unless your school didn't have a D1 team, in which case do whatever.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Not football but there exists a picture of me when I was 5 or 6 wearing an Oakland A's shirt.

I am ashamed

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The A's are objectively the coolest/most likable team in all of baseball so I dunno why.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My personal fandom rules for college sports

1. Undergrad (if D1)
2. Parents' undergrad (if D1)
3. Local team
4. Team you just think is cool for whatever reason, as long as they aren't loving Notre Dame or something

I also like anybody that makes old white people mad for nonsensical reasons, which is why the Fab 5 are cool with me even though I hate Michigan. That usually applies more to individual players though.

For pros I would normally say local teams but I'm from the Detroit area so that's easy. MV's hybrid Cowboys/Jazz/A's fandom is bizarre but makes sense because he's Iowan. If you grew up in the suburbs of Cleveland and root for the Steelers, then gently caress you. Exceptions can be made if you were raised by transplants who indoctrinated you.

tl;dr sports are dumb and arbitrary and you can probably just ignore this post

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

My personal fandom rules for college sports

are unnecessary and stupid, probably

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah, hence the tl;dr part. But sports in general are unnecessary and stupid so I'm fine with having them.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I enjoy the game of football as-is, but would drop it in a second in favor of an all-passing football league where nearly everything is the same but it's played with a baseball and gloves.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Toaster Beef posted:

I enjoy the game of football as-is, but would drop it in a second in favor of an all-passing football league where nearly everything is the same but it's played with a baseball and gloves.

You should get really into hurling.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I only became interested in football at all when I moved to Jacksonville four years ago and found there was nothing better to do then go to Jaguars games for loving free.

I grew up with an extended family of Giants and Jets fans.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I missed the vast majority of the 2010 Super Bowl. :smith:

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Y'all make a compelling argument for me to switch from "rooting" for the North Texas MEAN GREEN over to TCU instead, but then my team wouldn't be called the MEAN GREEN and that's a pretty big downside

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rasczak posted:

Y'all make a compelling argument for me to switch from "rooting" for the North Texas MEAN GREEN over to TCU instead, but then my team wouldn't be called the MEAN GREEN and that's a pretty big downside

You've got a pretty solid choice there, with most people it would be between Mean Green and Tigers or Wildcats or something. Mean Green and Horned Frogs is superior, even if MG wins easily.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
For all the Notre Dame talk, I grew up about 15 miles to the east of it. I rooted for them during the Lou Holtz days and drank deeply from the myth that Touchdown Jesus was actually A Thing. Notre Dame stud and notable bust Rick Mirer went to my high school's rival. I did not know that the Golden Dome was almost universally hated in other parts of the country. I think they are vastly overrated but still have an affinity for them.

My first pro football game was Colts vs. Titans in 2003. Steve McNair got hurt and the Colts were heavy underdogs but blew the Titans out. The old RCA Dome was absolutely deafening. They handed out their version of Terrible Towels to commemorate the divisional rivalry. It was a turnaround game for the franchise and the Colts would go on to win the division for the first time since the expansion. It took 10 years to get back to a Colts game (last December).

Finally, as a teen who did not follow football much, I loved Brett Favre and the Packers. I was unashamed to say "Frozen Tundra" or identify myself with Cheeseheads. I have never even visited Wisconsin.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Only one of those teams is named after famed alum Mean Joe Greene so that's the real option

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pick the one not named after a steeler

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
You'd be giving it up for something awesome called a Horned Frog, so I don't see the downside for the switch for you there.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Rasczak posted:

Ah no, don't root for TCU. Patterson is a bit of a jagoff.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Ultimately I'll have to roll with the alma mater MEAN GREEN, but since half of my family has season tickets to TCU football and it's been the local team for most of my life it remains the backup team

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MourningView posted:

Pick the one not named after a steeler

Mean Joe was an altruist and a philanthropist >:C

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The animal that shoots blood from its eyes is as cool as Mean Joe. I also have a soft spot for TCU because LaDainian Tomlinson was one of the first players I ever noticed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alouicious posted:

Mean Joe was an altruist and a philanthropist >:C

yeah because he knew he had to try to make up for being a steeler

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Mean Joe Greene was nicknamed after the UNT team, not the other way around.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Zoran posted:

Mean Joe Greene was nicknamed after the UNT team, not the other way around.

What? No he wasn't. His last name was Greene and Mean is a word that rhymes with that and highlights that he was a big scary dude. "MEAN GREEN" is a nonsensical nickname for a football team without that association. They were the Eagles before that, I'm pretty sure.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 16, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
According to Wikipedia, he's named after the team. Sort of:

quote:

The name "Mean Green" was adopted by fans and media in 1966 for a North Texas football defensive squad that finished the season second in the nation against the rush.[1] That school year, Joe Greene,[2] then a sophomore at North Texas, played left defensive tackle on the football team and competed in track and field (shot put). The nickname "Mean Joe Greene" caught on during his first year with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1969 when the fan base mistakenly assumed that "Mean Green" was derived from a nickname they thought he had inherited while at North Texas.[citation needed] The athletic department, media, and fans loved the novelty of a young standout's surname being a homophone of the university's school color.[citation needed] By 1968, "Mean Green" was on the back of shirts, buttons, bumper stickers, and the cover of the North Texas football brochure. Even the band became identified as the "Mean Green Marching Machine."[3]
Citation needed.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

MourningView posted:

What? No he wasn't. His last name was Greene and Mean is a word that rhymes with that and highlights that he was a big scary dude. "MEAN GREEN" is a nonsensical nickname for a football team without that association. They were the Eagles before that, I'm pretty sure.

Actually the name comes from a nickname students made up for some nasty defenses UNT (they were North Texas State back then) had during the 60s when Greene was on the team. At some point at intersection of an obscure teachers college, its most famous alum, and Steelers fans, the nickname stuck and the school eventually changed the team name. They were the Eagles before that and still have an eagle mascot today.

Beaten like an AAC school in media negotiations

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

MourningView posted:

For what it's worth, "Mean Green" doesn't seem any worse than "Big Green" or "Big Red" or those other lazy Ivy League names. It'd only really be nonsensical if their primary color was, like, orange or something.

Also there's something amazing about the team being named after Joe Greene... whose nickname came from a nickname for the team.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

MEAN GREEN is basically the ouroboros of football team names

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I've been to exactly one NFL game ever. It was awful.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I was raised a redskins fan and stopped rooting for them to spite my dad.

I started rooting for the Bengals because they had ended a chiefs undefeated streak and I wanted to rub it in my step dad's face.

My step dad swore off the chiefs and became a pats fan before the 18-1 season. After the super bowl I printed off about 50 pictures of eli manning and hid them all over his house to discover. I put about 20 of them on the blades of his ceiling fan. They scattered all over the room. I put a few in the breast pockets of his work shirts. I taped one to the ceiling in his shower. I taped two to the underside of his car's hood.

Every good football memory I have is connected to laughing at somebody losing or being injured.

I burned my chad Johnson jersey after he headbutted his wife.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
My uncle's entire basement is filled with redskins memorabilia. I bet him ten bucks that rg3 would blow out his acl after he said he hoped Russell Wilson would get injured in that wild card game.

He wouldn't pay up.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
boy you sound fun

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Anaranjado is your skeleton that you're kind of an over-reactive weirdo

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Pretty much yeah.

In all fairness most of that stuff happened when I was a dumb teenager.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Your family sounds healthy and it seems like you all interact with each other in a mature and compassionate manner.o

Anaranjado posted:

Pretty much yeah.

In all fairness most of that stuff happened when I was a dumb teenager.

Half that stuff happened two years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I'm not taking guff from a bandwagon steelers fan. But you're right.

• Locked thread