Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The Eli Manning picture thing is pretty funny.

And the Wilson/RG3 bet reminds me of the time I got my biological dad to stand to the side of busy LA offramp with a sandwich board talking about how good the Mavs are because he'd lost a bet over who'd advance further in the playoffs. He made sure to put in tinier letters "KOBE MVP <THE NEXT YEAR>" at the bottom of the sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Anaranjado posted:

I burned my chad Johnson jersey after he headbutted his wife.

I'm pretty OK with this.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I still haven't been to any NFL game, either because of expenses or just things coming up at the same time as a game I finally got tickets to. Stuff just always seems to come up at the same time as football. I almost didn't go to the Ravens Super Bowl parade for that same reason.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
He was my favorite player too ;(

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I watched the Bo Vs. Barry highlights and I'm happy again. My two favourite players being awesome in the same game.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Anaranjado posted:

I'm not taking guff from a bandwagon steelers fan. But you're right.

:laffo:
Okay you did a 180 pretty fast in my eyes nice work

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Anaranjado is your skeleton that you're kind of an over-reactive weirdo

The Eli Manning picture thing owns, you heathen.

One of my buddies spent a couple of months growing out and shaving his pubes, collecting them and put them, along with a shitload of homemade confetti in a friends air conditioning in his car. When the guy turned his car on, his CD player blared happy birthday and his aircon shot pubed laced confetti at him at full blast. Years later, he still gets a lone little piece of confetti shoot out of his air con from time to time.

And all that guy did was get a year older. Bandwagoning the Pats deserves way worse.

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
I missed Terrence Cody's game winning field goal block against Tennessee in '08 because I was in my back yard kicking my lawn furniture and cussing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Chris James 2 posted:

I still haven't been to any NFL game, either because of expenses or just things coming up at the same time as a game I finally got tickets to. Stuff just always seems to come up at the same time as football. I almost didn't go to the Ravens Super Bowl parade for that same reason.

Everyone who has this as an excuse, come to a Jaguars Game. Tickets to fly into JAX are cheap, game tickets are cheaper and always available, hotels are like 30 bucks a night and you don't even have to be near a crackhouse!

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
No matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to get into College Football :(

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I got into football because my wife family watched it a lot, and I therefore watched it a lot during the holidays. My earliest memories of football spectatorship was watching the Lions on Thanksgiving Day.

My mother hated football and kept all of her 5 kids from watching/following/liking it. When I went home for Thanksgiving and turned on the Cowboys/Redskins game, my father looked about as happy as I'd seen him in 30 years.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

:laffo:
Okay you did a 180 pretty fast in my eyes nice work

Every time I think I have managed to escape the bottom of the poster totem pole :smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chris James 2 posted:

I've been to a grand total of 1, a Saints game with friends when I was little where Saints got slammed on (as always, at the time), this subconsciously killed my desire to go to more, I didn't actively avoid them but I was pretty much 'yea whatever' when the topic came up. Nowadays I'd go but pretty much timing keeps getting in my way when the chance comes.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Chris James 2 posted:

I've been to 3. Well, 2 and a half. None of them were in NY and the one time I saw the Giants it was in preseason. I've seen the Patriots live more times than I've seen the Giants.

I was pumped to go up to Seattle this year and see them get stomped by the Hawks but the stupid Seahawks had to win the Super Bowl last year and now tickets are going to be ungodly expensive.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Febreeze posted:

I've been to 3. Well, 2 and a half. None of them were in NY and the one time I saw the Giants it was in preseason. I've seen the Patriots live more times than I've seen the Giants.

I was pumped to go up to Seattle this year and see them get stomped by the Hawks but the stupid Seahawks had to win the Super Bowl last year and now tickets are going to be ungodly expensive.

Looks like ~$150 gets you in the door in the 300 level. That's something like double face value, ouch. Holla if you want some sweet rear end pre-season tickets, I cant be bothered to drive up there from Corvallis for those.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
I still think Terrelle Pryor is better than Kaep. He's faster and slightly better at going thru reads (which isn't saying a lot...) while having the same accuracy issues and cannon arm. When Oakland traded him for a 7th because he really wanted a chance to start, it was the angriest I've ever been with my team. I was looking forward to seeing what he could do without a historically bad O-line.

Not sure why you wouldn't want players who want to start. Hope he gets a second chance somewhere.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

MrLogan posted:

I still think Terrelle Pryor is better than Kaep. He's faster and slightly better at going thru reads (which isn't saying a lot...) while having the same accuracy issues and cannon arm. When Oakland traded him for a 7th because he really wanted a chance to start, it was the angriest I've ever been with my team. I was looking forward to seeing what he could do without a historically bad O-line.

Not sure why you wouldn't want players who want to start. Hope he gets a second chance somewhere.

pretty sure most players want to start

Schwack posted:

Looks like ~$150 gets you in the door in the 300 level. That's something like double face value, ouch. Holla if you want some sweet rear end pre-season tickets, I cant be bothered to drive up there from Corvallis for those.

What are the preaseason games this year?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I have a hard time trusting the faster than Kaepernick thing just because Pryor never went to the combine (and I guess even if he did weird stuff goes on there). But it doesn't really matter much in any case.

If the Raiders decided Pryor wasn't in their plans it's nice of them to trade him in a way, he isn't beating out Wilson but he might have a chance to grow a little in a backup role if they believe in him.

e: Oops I didn't notice which thread this was, didn't mean to argue with your skeleton which is a fine one.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 19, 2014

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Febreeze posted:

pretty sure most players want to start

What are the preaseason games this year?

08/15 Game 2 Chargers
08/22 Game 3 Bears

Better than last year!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm still pretty sure Vince Young could successfully QB an NFL team.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I rooted for the Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII because one of my professors was a fan and said beforehand that we'd just chill during Monday's class if they won :negative:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Confession: As the years have gone by, the NFL has dropped to a distant 4th on my sports hierarchy, behind college basketball, college football, and NHL.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
sounds like you just love white guys and fundamentals

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Vaders Jester posted:

No matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to get into College Football :(

Unless you were raised in a college football tradition, I think it might have to do with not having players stick around to follow. It's totally different from the nfl in that way. When I was a kid (and now) I was a Duke fan with regards to college sports. Obviously, I followed basketball but Duke's football program has been total garbage before like last year, so I didn't give a single poo poo. On the other hand, I'm a Redskins fan, and despite their awfulness, I have an affinity for their players who've stuck around despite the lovely franchise. That just cannot exist with college football.

Also I'm a Duke fan because I was forced into following some college basketball team after moving to NC as a child. I just like navy blue. Gimme a break, god drat.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I'd say interest in college ball is more in where you go to school than family tradition (though certainly that plays a factor as well). Everyone I know who went to a school with a 1AA football team loves watching their team in college football. Everyone I know who didn't (myself included) could care less about watching college football outside of draft highlights.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Being from Scotland, I don't have any ties to college football and don't really have much knowledge of the teams and how they play. I follow the Ravens due to starting watching the NFL more seriously about a decade ago and liking the way they played (I also liked watching the Steelers play as well for the same reasons until I learned about the rivalry and made a choice as to who to stick with :P ) so perhaps I just need to watch more and find a college that I enjoy watching play.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You like dumb gross football, stay out.

But I guess if you have to then like Alabama, Stanford, or Michigan State.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Just not Notre Dame, please.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vaders Jester posted:

Being from Scotland, I don't have any ties to college football and don't really have much knowledge of the teams and how they play. I follow the Ravens due to starting watching the NFL more seriously about a decade ago and liking the way they played (I also liked watching the Steelers play as well for the same reasons until I learned about the rivalry and made a choice as to who to stick with :P ) so perhaps I just need to watch more and find a college that I enjoy watching play.

The Big Ten is the conference for you.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Let me tell you a few things about the Missouri Valley Conference:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Anaranjado posted:

Let me tell you a few things about the Missouri Valley Conference:

I like this person and their opinions.

Also the Mid American Conference is a good answer as well.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah that guy who likes low scoring defensive teams should definitely watch the MAC.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

Yeah that guy who likes low scoring defensive teams should definitely watch the MAC.

B-b-but MACTION.

Catch the fever!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FuzzySkinner posted:

B-b-but MACTION.

Catch the fever!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

B-b-but MACTION.

Catch the fever!

that's the joke you jingus

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I knew kids in high school who applied to Ohio State because it was the school they and their families cheered for in football

Which, to me, as a grown man with a dick like Tom Servo, is just sad

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MourningView posted:

Well, at least we are trying to correct bad behavior rather than reinforce it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

football fuckerman posted:

I knew kids in high school who applied to Ohio State because it was the school they and their families cheered for in football

Which, to me, as a grown man with a dick like Tom Servo, is just sad

Seems like a perfectly good reason to apply to a university!

I mentioned football in my essay when I applied.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I am a Vikings fan primarily for four reasons. They are, in ascending order of relevance:

1) I hated the Lions because Barry Sanders was my favorite player and he deserved better
2) Randy Moss Owns Bones
3) My father is a Packers fan and I hated him until I was about 22
4) Donatello is my favorite ninja turtle

e: I am a Wal-Mart Wolverine but in my defense I wanted to go there since I was 6 years old (and decided not to apply because they weren't on the common app and I was only writing one essay because gently caress that poo poo) and also root for Miami to miraculously whoop their rear end right out of the Big House every time we get scheduled as their early-season sacrificial lamb

e2: no matter how many women he rapes, I still secretly love Ben Roethlisberger because successful Miami sports alumni are so few and far between. My favorite sports trivia factoid is that Miami is one of four schools attended by a Super Bowl winning QB (Roethlisberger) and a US President (Benjamin Harrison). The other three being Michigan (Brady, Ford), Stanford (Elway/Plunkett, Hoover), and Navy (Staubach, Carter)

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Obama Yo Mama posted:

e: I am a Wal-Mart Wolverine but in my defense I wanted to go there since I was 6 years old (and decided not to apply because they weren't on the common app and I was only writing one essay because gently caress that poo poo)
How do you spend 12 years hoping to go somewhere and then not even apply because you have to write multiple essays?

• Locked thread