Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hitman #52: otherdimensional entities known as the Many-Angled Ones are poised to destroy Gotham, and then the world. Standing in their way is Six-Pack, a delusional drunk who thinks he's a superhero.

Despite having no powers, and knowing he has no powers and knowing that everyone thinks he's a drunken joke, he still faces off against the demons.

drat right that's what superheroes do.

Without context, I find myself wondering whether the demons are taking this seriously, or they're being mocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Norrin used to be a scientist. Galactus made the board. Maybe he found it funny.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

smashpro1 posted:

Ask Darkseid.

They DO fire straight. Then they home in to the point of 180-degree turns.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

You know, it says a lot that he'd admit that at ALL.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

CoolCab posted:

Origin story of being dunked in a vat of mystery chemicals. He invented, probably involves some exposure to, joker venom, regularly hangs out with people who indiscriminately sprays a cocktail of aerosolized narcotics and god knows what else and is constantly being tranquilized, drugged, chemically straightjacketed by Arkham and shot with whatever ''antidote'' Batman feels it's necessary to inject him with that week. Oh, and he goes house hunting in carnival themed superfund sites.

His ability to process toxins probably came from lots and lots and lots of practice.

He's also meant to be glow-in-the-dark, but no one remembers it.

http://comicsalliance.com/bizarro-back-issues-joker-public-luna-tic-number-one-1969/

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

If this ends with him dressing as Shao Khan I'm all for...waitaminute.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

Power Girl>Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman V3 #41?

...WW's smiling at the end. That can't be good.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Those pages are the raddest thing I've seen in a DC book in a long, long time.

Did it ever prevent him from, you know, having the most state of the art weapon in the world in perfect working order? Because when it happened recently, it sure didn't, which was weird.

I'm unsure. I recall it being in bad repair once or twice during those times he's been without funds(Which is rare in itself), but I forget exactly when.

...I wonder if Doom's armour is still considered equivalent/better than Iron Man's these days?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Hulk Smash! posted:

Amazing Spider-Man 270

This can be said as cool-you don't get more 'underdog' than Spider-Man vs even a former Herald of Galactus.

It's also cited as an example of 'author's favourite wins' or something like that-since SPider-Man won that battle, which can be rightly said to be insane. Now, they did try to 'explain' it even then. He wasn't here for anything but a hot dog, so he wasn't fighting.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

I think this belongs here because the sheer balls it takes for you to gently caress with J. Jonah "I will personally pilot a robot built to destroy you" Jameson is pretty badass.

Always remember he's responsible for The Scorpion. He had a super-villain made specifically to kill Spider-Man.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Cryophage posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons

This wasn't the most badass panel to post, just the easiest to animate

You should send that to the writer, if you ain't already.

On a side note, I know I have heard these sayings-"Kill six billion demons, become one", "Kill six billion demons, become a god", "Reach Heaven by Violence" before. In religion or philosophy. Yet the major thing that comes up on a search is the comic.

Am I going mad?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Since when does Joker have sick acrobatic skills? Is everyone just Spider-man now?

God knows. Even Dark Knight Returns had Joker being smart more than a fighter, though he did break his own neck, which is....work.

It's like [whoever] saw Injustice and decided 'I want Joker to work like this'. It's....not the worst, I guess, but it misses the point. He's not the Clown Prince of Crime by being a thug, even if he's very capable of random, shocking violence meted out arbitrarily.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Everything Counts posted:

So when did Joker learn that Bruce is Batman? How many villains is that now who have figured out his identity?

Ra's, Bane, Joker I don't know for sure, Riddler's been mentioned, Catwoman(Who also revealed her ID to him)...I don't think anyone else that I can recall. Which is still probably too many.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

Galactus gets knocked down a lot but tends to no sell for the next page or so afterwards

You don't get half-measures with Galactus. It's either *plink* "Galactus just chumped him like he was nothing!" or "Galactus just got chumped! Impossible!".

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

10 rings? Mandarin's involved?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Two things:

1. I am hearing some combination of Marvel Heroes Loki and Valkyrie Profile Loki with Old Loki. Like, listen to "The True Nature of All", and tell me it doesn't go with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-gGaszqikI
2.What is going on with Old Loki's mouth? He could conceivably take off Young Loki's head in one bite, I swear it. And his lips are completely gone!(There's probably a Chew the Scenery joke here, but...)

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 17, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Alacron posted:

Likewise, this is why I hate stuff like Superman worshipping Kryptonian gods and studying Kryptonian martial arts. It's trying to make Superman more alien just so it can... I don't know, make him a unique special snowflake?

Also, didn't the Silver Age have a weird thing where Supes would refer to the Kents as his "foster parents" or something? I remember this weird undercurrent of, "Yeah they're nice and all but they're not his real parents" that pissed me off.

He's a man/being who's former culture was utterly destroyed. He has so little of his old culture left, he wants to learn more of it. Maybe take it up a little. Just to have it. Just so it survives just a little, even if it ends up merged with other things(Like equating Rao with God). Because he can't just let it die out. It doesn't make him less human. If anything, that's the human reaction. I mean, a Fortress of Solitude might be big and fancy and 'Oh, he's got lots of it left!' but in the end, it still isn't.

I dunno. I see where you're coming from, and it's fine and true. But I also see "The man has NOTHING. It's GONE, so completely that there's not even history books to be re-written. He dies, that's it. Gone for good. That's gotta be something he thinks about."

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 26, 2015

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

TwoPair posted:

With everybody posting Kirby stuff I'm surprised no one's posted the back-up in this week's S.H.I.E.L.D featuring Kirby's original 2 page pitch for Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD. Featuring inking from other beloved BSS artist, Jim Steranko!

(from SHIELD #9)

Huh. New Fury L Jackson was never new. It's his old deisgn. That explains a bit.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

There was this comic I read a couple years back where a bunch of Jedi set a trap for Vader, and he manages to kill a couple and even uses the dark side to make one of them lose his poo poo and kill another dude, but in the end he gets overwhelmed and has to be bailed out by like 50 stormtroopers, because he's still just one man. Then he gets kinda mopey about the emperor spreading rumors about how he single-handedly killed 3x the amount of jedi there actually was.

What I'm saying is I guess Palpatine is writing this schlock.

I remember reading that one. It was minorly interesting because it was, in my experience, one of the few times you see 'Palpatine as mentor', that you never really get.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

"I am Godzilla, we are many"?

Cool. Ridiculous and scary, but cool.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

That's surprising, because Thanos even without the Gauntlet still has great power, if I recall right.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Reality warping on an extreme level, as I recall.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

WickedHate posted:

This feels like it subverts the powerlessness and cowed subservience Vader exhibits in Return of the Jedi.

I've only been able to glean little pieces of the newer comics, but it's all....weird. Half the time Vader's massively needy and Palpatine can't put up with him being so(Fair enough, being a broken man will do that, as is the 'I'm sick of your poo poo, Vader'), and half the time Palpatine is openly pushing him to break further, and/but the two are so antagonistic it's a wonder Vader held himself from killing him for so long, power difference or not.

I feel...there's something missing.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Glagha posted:

You know there were just a bunch of pages posted of spiderman being good at everything and everyone being amazed at how cool and awesome he is and he's also funny and poo poo talks everyone all the time. If he was anyone other than spiderman he'd be insufferable.

I know one comic that went into why he's constantly quipping, briefly. It's either that or be peeing himself in sheer terror. His own words/thoughts, not mine.

I read this once, but I don't have a scan to prove it(I think I either read the thing in a store or from the library). I hate when that happens. This was about the time he was a teacher, I think, so it was a little while back.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

It'd be more likely it would give him the ability to make various poisons and weird potions and such within him, depending on the plants. But that would be loving dangerous if it didn't come with immunity to said poisons.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

It's good to see Orion the Thinker. I mean, I know that his battle prowess and his inherent rage are big things with him. But it's nice to see more than that. He's his father's son, now. Both of them, really.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 15, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

VanSandman posted:

My favorite part of the page is that the basic punctuation mark used is !

This is God War. Gods fighting, gods dying. This is booming, strong voices all over the place, especially in the narration. Not necessarily gruff, but loud. We are in full mythology territory, where Good is Good, Evil is Evil and everything sounds like a prophecy. Not to say it lacks character depth, of course. Take the ever-reposted "I AM the storm." of Darkseid to a regular dude. Or that Orion bit just above. Sure, he's not all ! there, but there's still that quality in the text.

It's all 'real', all earnest. This stuff is not a joke, or being silly. How can I put it....the character Dr.Orpheous is a parody of Dr.Strange. When Orpheous says things, it's funny and ridiculous. When Strange is saying stuff, it's serious and how he is, given what he's always dealing with, even when he's being more casual.

This is too many words on it, perhaps. Part of me thinks "You could probably write a book on this sort of thing." Part of me wonders if there already IS one.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 17, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Phy posted:

Waaaaait a minute.

Did the Foot Clan in TMNT start out as a knockoff of The Hand?

Yes. Much as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was at first....now how was it...it was supposedly everything the kids were into: Ninjas, animals, mutants/mutation, and teenagers.

Then it exploded.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Where have I heard that plot before....?

That was it! Rise of the Dragon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIue08JFz9k

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

He's had that sort of thing coming for 40? 50? years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Oddly enough, Hotline Miami is extremely similar to a Punisher game from the 1980's.

Covert Action with a Marvel/Punisher twist? Hmm.