Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I've watched every episode of JLU probably 3 or 4 times but I've still never watched all the way through JL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

I like how the difference between when they have and don't have their plot armour is so blatantly obvious.

With: Can take out Leopardon with little to no effort.
Without: Gets chumped by the Other in a single panel.
With: Can incapcitate the Other, again in a single panel.
Without: Gets gloriously smacked about by the Punisher with a baseball bat (and HATE, of course).

Christ, why did anyone think Dan Slott was a good idea as a writer for the flagship chatracter again?

Probably the person who looks at sales figures. We may not like it, but spider-man hasn't stopped selling or anything.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Chinaman7000 posted:

The Flash should be drawn like Eyeshield 21. Superman's punches should look like Saitama's. It's not for everyone but would totally be my poo poo. Japanese artists can be really great at making it really look like normal human shaped beings are super powerful.
We can dream can't we?

Btw if you're saying you wouldn't read a Murata drawn american comic you're the most boring person alive.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Of course Murata is great, I'm just saying I wouldn't trade the western style and all its flaws for the manga style and all its flaws. If Spider-man looked like Blame!! I would be loving lost trying to read it.

Oh no I can agree with you! That's twice this year at least I am gonna lose it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
It's detailed because the artist who is named on the cover only draws the important parts of the book. Assistants draw backgrounds and other things like that.

Fuego Fish posted:

:allears:

That's basically the complete opposite of how it works, except for the part where a guy like Oda won't get fired if he needs to take a week or two off.
Yeah I also don't think Oda has taken more than a couples weeks off since 1997

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
There are cases like Yoshihiro Togashi who has been very ill for years now and goes on hiatus constantly. He'll put out a couple chapters every few years but his series will never lose its spot in Jump until he dies or something.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Oda takes breaks a lot for a WSJ mangaka. In contrast Murata Yuusuke never took a single week off in all 300-odd chapters of Eyeshield 21's run.

I'm not sure he's taking breaks I always see those as the chapter just not being done since they usually announce it before hand when it's a scheduled break. Also Oda is doing writing and art so it's not really fair to compare their workload. I do think Murata is the better artist though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, the Planetary omnibus is $50 on Amazon right now.

Welp.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/PLANETARY-OMNIBUS-HC/SEP130279
41.25 on IST ;)

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't get it.

It seems to be mostly a set up page.

That face is pretty hilarious tho.

It is good in the context of the next page. Thor had been using Thorr's hammer which only works if you are unworthy. He's about to ride into battle one last time and finds he can no longer lift it.

EDIT: But yeah the faces. Normally Deodato is bearable at least but I feel like he really phoned it in on the faces on those pages.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
East of West #1

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Could have really done without those last two words.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Snyder is the worst Joker writer probably ever. Even the Red Hood One dialogue was by far the worst part of Zero Year which otherwise was one of my favorite Batman stories.

Naw I like this Joker much much more than Death of the Family.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
He has been drinking some weird healing stuff(which is also why his face is reattached btw) and I think it has enhanced him in some ways.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
He has been drinking some healing thing called Dionesium which is why his face is attached and probably the reason he is able to physically match Bruce for a bit. Not to mention Bruce isn't really at the top of his game at that moment.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Don't link to a scanlation when you can buy it officially numbnuts.
https://www.comixology.com/One-Punch-Man/comics-series/22775
This isn't ADTRW

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't they show Dr. Doom's face when he got Ant-Manned recently too? Or am I misremembering it and they just obscured it.

He was healed then too

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Her band keeps not getting paid because the fights she gets into causes so much damage. She is about to use her sonic scream to defeat some dudes and that is going to wreck the establishment. It turns out there are some other pages in that book that contextualize the scene.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Anora posted:

Which seems apropos to what DC is doing currently.

Both Superman and Action Comics are good now but nice try I guess.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Counterpoint, New Suicide Squad.

That's not a counterpoint that is actually a single book that is bad.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
You know what is really badass? Resurrecting this old lovely discussion.
I don't care if I've posted this in here before, I just reread it again last week.
East of West #1

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I can pretty much just start dumping entire issues of East of West here since almost every page is badass.

#1 is the only one I have digitally or I totally would.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Crowetron posted:

Didn't she get eaten alive by Blob or someone in Ultimates? Can't be worse than that.

At least in the Ultimates she did literally anything! Hopefully the movie doesn't treat her that bad but I guess we're about to find out.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I like that up until he says the word "pottymouth"

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
This is echoed in pretty much every thread but One Punch Man is great.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

a kitten posted:

Don't forget: English dead tree version is on the way! :dance:

Eventually! I've already imported some of the early volumes though and I'm afraid the Viz version isn't going to to it justice. Murata does cool stuff with the dust jacket on them.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

There's this picture of Hulk lifting a mountain that's just complete crap, as that mountain would just crumble and bury Hulk in rubble. Or are the writers trying to tell me that Hulk has the same powers of tactile telekinesis as Superman? I find that highly unlikely.

Shut up

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yes, I can see everything past your first sentence. :\ that is all clearly in the panels.
Why are these universes colliding? I mean, hulk knocks over buildings all the time. Not really something new.

None of that poo poo matters. Three people just picked up a building and threw it. That is literally the only context you need.
EDIT: lol holy poo poo I thought I got beaten badly.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

That's what this is building to, right? Marvel's first Crisis-like company wide reboot, where everything past this point will be the same but different?

Not a reboot.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah the Planetary version of Reed was lame as gently caress. Most of the last quarter of Planetary was pretty lame. It's hard for me to say though because I read those issues as they came out and the delays deflated the ever-loving gently caress out of the back half of that series anyway. It's depressing how it took seven years to finish a series that was supposed to wrap up before the year 2000.

I read it all over the course of a day and I thought it was pretty cool.

Lurdiak posted:

It's true, for the longest time, they seemed determined to contain him to his own title, but then once Way got a hold of him he was in EVERYTHING and got 3 other books, and was on a bunch of variant covers. I don't know if it was a situation where a higher-up changed, or if Way was pushing for the character, or what, but it was a really noticeable shift.

To be honest I had thought Deadpool had been way more popular since before then. I guess I came in right about that time though so I didn't have anything to compare it to.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Pieces of Peace posted:

Nobody mentioned Doom Patrol yet? The only good dark and broody version of the FF, in my view.

I've read some Doom Patrol, but I never really got a FF vibe from it. Could you elaborate a little?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Heresiarch posted:

It's a stretch (hah) but you could argue that Elasti-Girl is Mr. Fantastic, the Negative Man is the Human Torch, and Cliff is the Thing.

I don't see it at all unless I squint real hard but there you go.

Yeah I can kind of see that.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

I love how defeated Lex breaks the panel on the bottom.

Superman is dumb though and Superman punching people to solve problems is the most dumb, especially while talking about how brains beat brawns. Unless you've got BR AI N S on your knuckles there boyscout you just laid out a dude with your brawn.

Seriously dude you could not be more wrong.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

How the gently caress are they going to make a movie with black bolt?
Probably with somebody named Chris

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah. If it worked the way that page says, Cap's shoulder would be dust. He's just a really strong dude, not Thor.

I always thought that the vibranium absorbed a large amount of the force, and caps enhanced strength allows him to endure the rest. That lady just being a regular person could not.

Heresiarch posted:

It works however the guy currently writing the book needs it to work to keep the story moving.

It is literally a plot device, like all superhero equipment.
True

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I was talking about the storyline of the new Cap run, which I'm not reading but caused Fox News to throw a tantrum because the white supremacist bad guys are anti immigration. Have a consolation classic from a world where Steve was revived later than usual and replaced by a racist fascist:

What issue was this from again? I know it's been brought up to a of times but I never took note of the specific issue and now I wanna read it.