Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Boxman posted:

I've read the comic and seen the episode a couple times, but I just now noticed a change between the two - in the comic, the black mercy gives Bruce a fantasy of hugging his parents, simply safe. In JLU, the entire fantasy - which includes a cut away to a different scene, so I think it lasts a while n Bruce's head - is Thomas Wayne just beating on Joe Chill. Cartoon Batman's heart's desire isn't a happy life with his parents, it's seeing the guy who killed them getting the hell punched out of him :stare:

The end result is the same "He and his parents are safe and well", but the cartoon manages to give the whole thing one extra twist of the knife IIRC. Batman has the black mercy on him and it gives him the fantasy of seeing his dad kick Joe's rear end. Meanwhile, in the real world, Wonder Woman is doing her best to pry it off of him. This causes the fantasy to falter, and now suddenly, Chill is on the rebound, and shoots Thomas, just as before. So it's almost worse, he gets that glimmer of hope that everything is going to be fine, and then it's snatched away at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Gavok posted:

There's basically six Hyperions:

- Squadron Supreme
- Squadron Sinister
- Supreme Power
- King Hyperion/Thunderbolts
- Marvel Zombies Supreme
- Hickman Avengers

So is Hyperion more Superman or less Superman than the stand in that's going up against the Illuminati right now?

It's so hard for me to keep these store brand Supermen apart.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Ygolonac posted:

Don't bring a Groot to a Cube fight.

"Groot.. am.. ow."

Dang. Taking an infinity gem shot right to the junk. That'll put you down.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I'm sure it's just perspective, but Peter's lookin really naked there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

First Bass posted:

Reposted from having accidentally posted in the Avengers thread:

OK, two things, with the understanding that this is a magical hammer and everything.

1) Was it always written in English on the hammer? And by that I mean not even in pseudo runes or fake Norse or anything.

2) Isn't it upside down? Doesn't the writing only appear correct if you are holding the business end up?

Pieces of Peace posted:

Nope, not perspective! That was the Joss Whedon Astonishing X-Men run (I think #6?), and Colossus has just returned from the dead due to alien experimentation. Minus pants.

Huh. How about that?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I'd rather see a reverse Chairface Chippendale, use your Super Moon Laser to scorch your name into the Earth. Larger writing area, plus can be a level 1 invasion deterrant.

Today, we, the Skrull empire, shall invade the puny planet Earth.

Commander! Look at this!

Let me see..."Property of Baron Zemo"...gently caress, that's clever. OK, pack it in boys! Someone already laid claim to this planet.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Does Namor still refer to himself as "Prince"?

I mean, who does he answer to?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

I prefer to imagine Darkseid is just so flabbergasted that he temporarily breaks character.

"Who summons me?!
"Whu...Buh...Uh...I...DARKSEID!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

prefect posted:

Didn't Bender shoot a box of Al Gore votes in the first Futurama movie?

BUSH "WINS" ELECTION

yes

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm willing to bit Norman doesn't even have a list that doesn't end with "Kill Spider-Man."

I'm a little surprised that "Kill Spider-man" isn't on there more than once.

It should really be
Kill Spider-man
Take over S.H.I.E.L.D.
Neutralize Clint (Barton?)
Kill Spider-man again, just to be sure
Kill Frank Castle
Neutralize Bruce Banner
KILL SPIDER-MAN!!!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Chinaman7000 posted:

Probably the first time since the original cartoon as a kid that I've liked Harley Quinn. I barely remember her from the game, though, or what her involvement is in the story.

In game, she's the Harley from the reality where Joker is killed. She kind of realizes how hosed up her devotion to him was and joins Batman's resistance, building up street level guerrilla forces. Then Joker 'comes back' and manages to weasel his way back into her good graces. By slapping her around. Which convinces her that he's the real deal. And she stands up for herself and doesn't take his poo poo. For a little while. Batman, in a stunning lack of foresight leaves Harley and Joker alone, with a key to his cell. Then Joker tries to kill her for failing to kill Lex Luthor. She finally 'gets' it after Lex saves her from Joker.

Her game story ending shows that after she beats up Superman, she keeps that Joker around and they get married. At the reception Joker mashes her face into the wedding cake, and apparently, that's the last straw. She takes the knife that's there and slashes his throat letting he bleed out. She spends the rest of her life in Arkham, which is up and running again somehow. Or maybe it's not and she's just hanging out there in the ruins of her own free will.

She's not allowed to have a happy ending in any reality.

In the Injustice comics, from what I've seen, we learn that she was pregnant with the Joker's kid at some point and sent the baby off to live with her sister. Joker never knew about the kid. Without the Joker guiding her she's been working with the heroes after some understandable trust issues. I find myself rooting for her so hard, I just know it's not going to end well for her.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Fuego Fish posted:

every last remaining alternate Spider-Man (and Spider-Girl) has to move into Parker's apartment.

Well, that's a sit-com in the making. Might as well throw in Johnny Storm, Iceman and Firestar just for that old 60's feel.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

I once tried Hostess Fruit Pie as a child simply because of the ads.

They were nasty.

And they're like 500 calories a pop too. That's a small meal, and it's all sugar.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

I really like the gun-toting Professor X, that was super bad rear end.

Hey look, Professor X always said that he would never use his powers in anger to harm another person or read a mind without permission.

He never said nothin about pulling out his piece and droppin some fool that got all up in his biz.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

redbackground posted:

Thor also had the advantage of dressing as The 90s.

So when you say "advantage", the bad design acts like some kind of deterrent for predators?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

I like how he punches her with such pinpoint precision that she goes all the 149,600,000 kms straight back to earth

Not only that, but right into America

And not only that, but sparsely populated America

That is straight up "Hulk never actually killed innocent people because his subconscious is just that in control" levels of bullshit.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Batman could NEVER defeat Firefly anyone in a fair fight.

Fixed, because here's Batman's dirty little secret: He doesn't fight fair. Sure, he knows between 6 and 100 different fighting styles, both armed and unarmed, but by and large, he's fighting nameless henchmen. Who maybe know how to throw and take the occasional punch. It's like playing an RPG and grinding until you're level 99, but instead of going to the final boss (who's a chump at this point) you decide to stick around the starting area, staring rats to death.

Then, for anyone who's out of his league, where he realistically has no chance to win, he cheats. He has a game genie plugged into the back of his head where he can just punch in some 16 character code and negate whatever advantage the person would have.

You have a suit of power armor? Have a miniaturized EMP that disables it so you can't move. You're an alien who is super strong, super fast, and resilient to almost any form or weaponry except an (formerly) incredibly rare space rock? I'm rich, bitch. I carry around a piece of his exploded home planet just so I can emotionally torment him before I punch him. Same issue as the last guy, but can also shape-shift and become intangible? Good thing he's scared of the cave man tech of fire.

This is why Batman needs to fight nebulous, abstract concepts like"crime" and "corruption" and "bi-polar disorder" and "crippling depression" because these are the only things that challenge him anymore.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

That's what this is building to, right? Marvel's first Crisis-like company wide reboot, where everything past this point will be the same but different?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I've loved these last couple pages of talk about Superman. He's easily my favorite superhero, and for pretty much all the reasons everyone's already been over. It isn't the powers, it isn't the super. It's the man. That kind of person, that kind of faith and belief in the innate goodness of humanity, is something I think everyone should aspire towards. And it's great seeing people acknowledge it, it seems like so many people focus on the wrong parts of the character.

It took me way too long to reach this same conclusion. "Superman's lame. He can't be beaten, he's too strong. He's boring. He's a goody-two-shoes. He's a symbol of cutesy, home spun middle America, aw shucks and apple pie. The fake America, of my father's childhood, that never existed."

And I don't think I was alone in that way of thinking. I don't think he'll ever be my favorite, but I like him more now than I ever did. And coming from any other character, that saccharine, smiling "everything will be better" mindset would be pandering, and overly optimistic and fake. But with Superman, it works, because he's sincere. He really, truely wants everyone to be safe and happy.

I don't have a panel, but hopefully a badass story will be penance enough
http://mentalfloss.com/article/23157/how-superman-defeated-ku-klux-klan

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Does he have gadgets and tons of contingency plans like Batman? I thought he was just Murderman.

Yes, believe it or not. All of his contingency plans basically involve making sure no innocent person ever gets killed by him when he goes on a bad guy kill-spree (it still happens, but I think his official innocent kill count is still in single digits)

And if you count every conceivable bladed weapon, firearm, or other military piece of hardware "gadgets" then double yes.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

dordreff posted:

John Cena would make a terrible wizard.

Well, yeah, pretending to be invisible the whole time...

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So...the jabroni is the thing that smooths the ice in a hockey rink?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Toshimo posted:

So, what you're saying is that the White Rings are the superior lanterns that rule over all the lesser, Colored Rings?

Well, I mean the Black(Lantern)s were shown to have no redeeming qualities and only brought death, destruction and despair where they went and the world had to be saved by a white guy, so...

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Never seen that before, I like it.

Then again, it's Dini and Ross, so that's pretty much two of my favorites right there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

We've secretly replaced Captain America with Batman. Let's tune in and see if anyone notices.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

No he was resurrected by Apocalypse twins.

That's a kind of better.

Wolverine's healing is basically magic. Which is why you need either magic (cursed demon blood sword) or apply real world 'logic' (encase him in cement and park a steamroller on top of him) to overcome it. By the way, that last one is my go to answer for any supposed immortal. "He can't be killed." Great, then this doesn't count as murder.

poo poo, in the Ultimate universe he survived as just a head. Didn't need to breathe and yet without lungs or much of a throat he could still talk. That's straight up magic.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Adnor posted:

A Storm did become a sorceress in the Magik miniseries, so there is precedent for Witch Storm.

She was also the bride of Dracula back in the early 80's, so there's a precedent for that too

(I think it turned out to be a dream, but that's almost as good)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

Others brought up the rest, but I'll give you the primary example.

So he takes a woman's baby hostage for some reason I forget. He tells the woman to stab her husband to death with a pair of scissors to spare their child. She does it. If he'd just done THAT, it would have been a horrifically chilling villain moment.

But of course Millar doesn't stop there. He has his minions beat and rape the woman. Then he throws the baby out the window. And to top it off he raids the fridge before he leaves the house.

Like I said. If it wasn't all a bunch of horrible disgusting things, it would be comedic.

ugh.

Was this the same guy who wrote the "pubescent alien girl has literally apocalyptic periods"?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Unfortunately (I guess?), that's about all I can remember about it. The discussion of bad writers and bad ideas had come up and someone describe the above story idea in thread. I very much did not care for the idea and lost my cool. I'll see if I can dig it up again, but this was a while ago, maybe two years or more.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

ghosthorse posted:

At least he doesn't hang around sitting in your chair like that dick Darkseid

Yeah, Thanos brings his own chair. But he doesn't lift it, he just drags it across the floor and scuffs everything up.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I prefer to think of it as the guy's chest being ripped open by a massive human fist

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Sorry, I have a crippling heroine addiction.

Yeah, Killing Joke is my favorite too

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

WickedHate posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, 2099 is the cannon future of the main canon and I'll hear absolutely nothing to the contrary.

FTFY

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I loved the premise for that show, but yeah, Movie geek was a twat. It was like he's trying to be Dennis Miller's slacker cousin.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Toshimo posted:

I got u, fam.

I really wish the colorist would have picked any other color for the first panel. It took an embarrassing number or re-reads to see that "Oh, it's not Scott going crazy and aiming at the mansion and then taking out the sentinel. The sentinel's beams are also red."

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Avulsion posted:

:siren: Top Ten spoilers :siren:

Is this the comic (probably just the page before this) where the whole plot is revealed by the character whose "power" is synesthesia?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

WickedHate posted:

The Phantom has been :krad: lately which is crazy since this arc started out with weeks long arguments between politicians about stamps.

Replace the gun in the thrid panel and this is the most Batman thing I've seen in a while.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

"LETS PLAY....THE FAMILY FEUD!"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

purple death ray posted:

I do like Bruce as a weird stunted dork but I have to draw the line somewhere and well done steak is that line.

I'd like to think that Alfred would have slapped him upside the head in an attempt to correct this kind of behavior, but then again, Alfred is King Enabler, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

Is there anyone better at fighting from underneath than Spider-Man? He is a great underdog.

Mole Man?