Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

What's the name for the headcondom thing that Electric Supes and Gambit have going?

I think "head sock" is the most common term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

I think "head sock" is the most common term.

Headwarmer. Socks shouldn't have more than one hole in them.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Headwarmer. Socks shouldn't have more than one hole in them.

Okay Mr. 1%, whatever you say.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Toshimo posted:

JLA #15

Featuring: The Worst Supes Costume

Spectre #51 did it first though:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

There was also a Batman story where Joker had temporary sanity from bathing in a Lazarus Pit. He had a more sobered expression of self-hatred and regret.

Then there's the Fernus the Burning story in JLA where a corrupted J'onn decided to force sanity on everyone at Arkham and all the villains wallowed in guilt while Batman cracked a smile.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

There was also a Batman story where Joker had temporary sanity from bathing in a Lazarus Pit. He had a more sobered expression of self-hatred and regret.

Then there's the Fernus the Burning story in JLA where a corrupted J'onn decided to force sanity on everyone at Arkham and all the villains wallowed in guilt while Batman cracked a smile.

There's also the end of that really lovely Kevin Smith Batman where the joker's in the hospital and he's "sane" cos they put him on meds.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In New Gotham Adventures (I think), the comic written as a continuation of the animated series universe, Joker was One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nested into a pacifist, law-abiding weak willed simpleton. Harley eventually snapped him out of it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

And in the justice lords episode, Superman had lobotomized the inmates at Arkham, Joker included, and they were all completely docile. Never really went into the idea of what, if anything, they understood about their pasts.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If you wanna bring that up then Joker was also catatonic and (I think) sane for a decade during DKR

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Image had a series called Bedlam, about a Joker knock-off who got de-evilified by some mad scientist. He's still sort of crazy, but he feels bad about what he did and tries to help the police make sense of all the crazies who showed up after he "died." If you like seeing a depressed, burnt out headcase stumble around solving crimes, give it a shot.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

In New Gotham Adventures (I think), the comic written as a continuation of the animated series universe, Joker was One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nested into a pacifist, law-abiding weak willed simpleton. Harley eventually snapped him out of it.

And Carnage snapped him out of it that other time.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Puntification posted:

There's also the end of that really lovely Kevin Smith Batman where the joker's in the hospital and he's "sane" cos they put him on meds.

The main thing I remember about that scene is Joker's glorious facepubes.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The whole "sane=good, insane=bad" thing is ableist and outdated as hell.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

WickedHate posted:

The whole "sane=good, insane=bad" thing is ableist and outdated as hell.

I don't disagree, but it's difficult to disassociate Batman's world from that, especially Joker. Not because Batman is any kind of serious examination of mental illness, but because the Arkham imagery is deeply ingrained in the mythos. That being said, I think it would be possible to present Joker exactly as he is without pinning his behaviour on "crazy". I mean, he's obviously a psychopath and definitely has some emotional and behaviour issues (putting it mildly,) but the core of what makes him "evil" is a combination of extreme nihilism and a philosophical devotion to chaos. Those things don't really require mental illness to thrive, and I'm just now realising that it would be interesting to see Joker portrayed not as a madman, but as a representation of human nature taken to extremes.

It is possible that what I just typed doesn't make any goddamn sense, but it was interesting to think about.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chaos Hippy posted:

I don't disagree, but it's difficult to disassociate Batman's world from that, especially Joker. Not because Batman is any kind of serious examination of mental illness, but because the Arkham imagery is deeply ingrained in the mythos.

I don't have a problem with the general Arkham stuff most of the time, but it becomes more of a problem when his rogue gallery "becoming sane" involves them immediately being filled with remorse and turning over a new leaf, which paints the picture that neurotypical people are naturally innocent and the mentally ill are naturally evil.

Chaos Hippy posted:

That being said, I think it would be possible to present Joker exactly as he is without pinning his behaviour on "crazy". I mean, he's obviously a psychopath and definitely has some emotional and behaviour issues (putting it mildly,) but the core of what makes him "evil" is a combination of extreme nihilism and a philosophical devotion to chaos. Those things don't really require mental illness to thrive, and I'm just now realising that it would be interesting to see Joker portrayed not as a madman, but as a representation of human nature taken to extremes.

That's basically Heath Ledger's Joker.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
if God's Vengeance or an alien made you sane, would you weep for what you have posted, WickedHate?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That would imply I've ever been wrong and everyone else was right, and haha, that's just a ridiculous notion.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Batman's rogues gallery, at its best, is full of psychodrama, which is to say that their personal flaws and psychological weaknesses are dramatized in over the top ways. It's a very cathartic storytelling technique, but the more you throw in parallels to real world mental illnesses, the more problematic it becomes, and the more it can damage society's perception of people with real mental illnesses.

I know of one person who was inspired by a two-face story to seek medical treatment for their psychiatric issues, so it's not like it isn't possible to do good with this kind of larger than life, simplistic take on what a "broken" person is, but I'd say more often than not the writers don't realize the weight of what they're playing with.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

It's a good example of how making Batman more realistic is actually really problematic because he more than most superheroes really REALLY doesn't work in a "realistic" story. The more grounded you make Batman the worse he looks as a character, and the fact his basic DNA is built around old pulp views of criminality and mental illness doesn't help, as in a realistic world Batman would be at best an anti-hero, someone we like because he goes after literal mass murderers and crimelords, but is still a despicable broken person as a twisted billionaire who takes out his emotional issues on the poor and mentally ill.

Also, anybody who's into this whole Batman/Mental Illness thing should check out Under the Mask, a podcast where a legit actual psychologist talks about the psychology of Batman the Animated Series episodes.

Shockingly enough, an actual psychologist can't figure out Joker's diagnosis, as he fits like four different personality disorders depending on which episode you're talking about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My take on Joker in TAS is that he's just a sociopath who's really self-amused and is faking most of it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wapole Languray posted:

Shockingly enough, an actual psychologist can't figure out Joker's diagnosis, as he fits like four different personality disorders depending on which episode you're talking about.

Did they end up deciding gently caress it might as well join him?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pretend I posted all of this http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/just-case-guys-who-make-batman-are-readinghere-are-4026

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The first one is "Batman gets his arm cut off". Are we sure that this is a joke article and not just another letter to DC that Geoff Johns wrote when he was a kid?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

quote:

Scarecrow releases a gas over Gotham that makes everyone think they’re Batman, and it turns out some people are very well-prepared to be Batman.

I would read this.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I read "Trained cow" and got ready to call it out.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

My take on Joker in TAS is that he's just a sociopath who's really self-amused and is faking most of it.

Paul Dini might actually agree with you.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

That's basically Heath Ledger's Joker.

That's one of my favourite beats in that movie, actually. Where Joker goes "I'm not crazy. I'm not." and Ledger delivers it with utter sincerity.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Toshimo posted:

You want to know how to take down a villain like a total badass?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJq2PAI-Fxc

I really don't like the title of this video. The person who made that title completely 100% missed what the Flash was doing there.

He wasn't tricking the Trickster, he was being a kind and decent human being who genuinely cared about the guy and wanted him to get better.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yeah I was puzzled for a bit after watching because I thought I'd missed the trick.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wapole Languray posted:

It's a good example of how making Batman more realistic is actually really problematic because he more than most superheroes really REALLY doesn't work in a "realistic" story. The more grounded you make Batman the worse he looks as a character, and the fact his basic DNA is built around old pulp views of criminality and mental illness doesn't help, as in a realistic world Batman would be at best an anti-hero, someone we like because he goes after literal mass murderers and crimelords, but is still a despicable broken person as a twisted billionaire who takes out his emotional issues on the poor and mentally ill.

Also, anybody who's into this whole Batman/Mental Illness thing should check out Under the Mask, a podcast where a legit actual psychologist talks about the psychology of Batman the Animated Series episodes.

This sums up my issues with the last 10 years or so of Batman, especially non-comic adaptations. There's this massive push, moreso than other superheroes, to make Batman 'realistic', or 'grounded' in some way. In practice this always means 'more violent and dependent on technology'. I can't think of a single part of Batman's world that is improved by shining this kind of spotlight on it.

And Joker fans are some of the absolute most obnoxious people on the planet.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Lurdiak posted:

The episode "Joker's Millions" pretty much proves this to be the case.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Never seen that before, I like it.

Then again, it's Dini and Ross, so that's pretty much two of my favorites right there.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I've never understood the obsession with continuity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I've never understood the obsession with continuity.

Comic books are ongoing soap operas that build off existing stories and concepts. This is the advantage they have over stories that end either thematically or meaningfully. Without continuity there is no reason to have ongoing stories or shared universes because they are defined by said continuity. If you read comics for the soap opera aspects (which a lot of people do, even if they won't admit it), it's actually fairly important to making it feel like the never-ending constantly-shifting increasingly-implausible stories have weight.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Comic books are ongoing soap operas that build off existing stories and concepts. This is the advantage they have over stories that end either thematically or meaningfully. Without continuity there is no reason to have ongoing stories or shared universes because they are defined by said continuity. If you read comics for the soap opera aspects (which a lot of people do, even if they won't admit it), it's actually fairly important to making it feel like the never-ending constantly-shifting increasingly-implausible stories have weight.

That's a good explanation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Continuity is a tool, and like any tool it can be used well or it can be used poorly.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

wow that's good. Dini is so fuckin' good at Batman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Not too surprising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZbbG0XGhQ

Sigma-X posted:

wow that's good. Dini is so fuckin' good at Batman.

BTAS has yet to be surpassed by anyone as the "definitive" Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

BTAS has yet to be surpassed by anyone as the "definitive" Batman.

Brave and the Bold comes really close. They even ended it on a classy note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY2ME08hncw