Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SirDan3k posted:

That little section between new avengers and one more day where Peter was treated as a guy who had seen, done and fought everything was a really nice stint of Peter getting the respect he deserves from the hero community, A.K.A. distancing himself from readers gotta fix it!

Some of my favorite Spider-Man stories came out of that era.

Now I have no loving idea what is going on with the character anymore.

Anyway, Spider-Man is badass:

(Don't remember the source)

(Punisher: War Zone #1)

(Avengers: The Initiative #3)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

AnonSpore posted:

That last one was just him being a huge dick, especially considering what kinda person he was before getting powers.

...when did "Being a huge dick" stop being Spider-Man's thing in pretty much every fight?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's Spider-Man anyway, shooting at him is somewhat of a Hail Mary no matter which way the sights are lined up.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Also really really long. Those pages really don't make that much sense without having read it all.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Thor: God of Thunder #19

...19?

I thought it was a miniseries.

I'll be right back :stare:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
People forget that Galactus used to be just a regular guy before Eternity turned him into a fundamental force of the universe, sometimes it's gotta show through.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Galactus!

(Beta Ray Bill: Saga of the Stormbreaker #1)

(Infinity Gauntlet)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

To continue the Galactus posting, one of my favorite Silver Surfer moments F4#583

I've always liked that despite the fact that Silver Surfer has had a lot of problems with Galactus, the dude is still pretty much his god and that is like insane blasphemy for him.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Aren't there like shitload of X-Men who do shoot people on a regular basis, though? The 90's alone must be responsible for at least a dozen.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Chaos Hippy posted:

The great contradiction of Superman is that he is an alien defined by his humanity. The thing that makes him Superman isn't the godlike power of his Kryptonian heritage, it's his Mister Rogers-level decency, which he learned from his human parents. Despite being beyond human in every physical way, he is entirely dependent on his connection to humanity. He's a super man. The contrast is often most clearly depicted when he's contrasted against other Kryptonians, who didn't have a human upbringing.

Unless you ask Zack Snyder. Then he's a confused alien who doesn't understand the concept of innocent bystanders.

Basically, Superman is Clark Kent, not Kal-El. I hate it when people in comics call him by his Kryptonian name and he accepts it. He got that name when he was a day old. It's like saying an adopted kid is defined by where he is born, not where he was raised in.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The coolest C-level villains, the Wrecking Crew. I love the concept of just a bunch of dumb tough guys with actually impressive power.

One of them is actually smart, right? He just likes hanging out with his dumb friends?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I always thought it'd suit Piledriver more to have that gimmick. The other 3 have their own gimmicks. Wrecker is the leader and has the crowbar, Bulldozer is Lil' Juggernaut, Thunderball has his ball and chain and...Piledriver has big hands :effort:

I'm just happy that there is a comic book group where the black guy is the smart one

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"You know what everyone thinks is mad sexy?! Blow up dolls!"

- Adam Warren, every living moment of his life

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Toshimo posted:

This applies to all aspects of life.

I was born in 1990 and can't really remember the 90's so it checks out.

Well I remember bits and pieces but like said, I'm not sure if they happened...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lurdiak posted:

That was so lame. The answer to "How do we defeat a Superman gone bad who has the entire earth in the palm of his hand" should not be "Non-bad Superman fixes everything"

Isn't that the answer to the question in comics like nine times out of ten though?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Say Nothing posted:

A superhero whose powers only work when they're naked? I don't think that concept has been explored (I could well be wrong).

Mystique

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Punkin Spunkin posted:

nothing more badass or inspiring than a nude man overcoming a sea of spiders

Kraven was one hosed up dude.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nessus posted:

Leave aside Superman, who you can at least semi plausibly say has made the choice to limit his short-term benefit to Earth in order to maximize his long-term benefit by not making governments his enemy.

What about the loving Spectre?

You'd think people would clean up their loving act if they knew the Spectre was around.

"Hey, should we embezzle this money from the starving orphans?"

"What are you talking about, it's money! What, you're afraid that you're going to jail? The justice system in this country is a joke!"

"Nah, I'm worried that the immortal Spirit of Vengeance will horribly take me away from mortal coil and curse me to sorrow and torture forever."

"Spectre? Isn't he a myth?"

"Man, he was on CNN fighting some space monsters two days ago!"

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mooseontheloose posted:

Imagine trying to draw a family tree in a comic book universe. Dashes, knots, broken lines...

How do you even show alternate dimensions or erased timelines in a family tree? "No, you don't remember giving birth to me. Yes, I am genetically your child." Like the Summers/Grey family tree is basically a ball of yarn at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kalli posted:

Hello I would like to nominate the extremely unfortunate Axe from that time the New Mutants went to visit Sunspot's dad. He's a mutant who works for the hellfire club as a mercenary and his power is: has an axe.

New Mutants had lot of these guys, one's power was having a wooden stick if I recall right. Other had, wait a minute...four arms. Evolution truly running amok.