Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Infinitum posted:

Not to get all 'The Authority' but if your boyfriend is Superman and you know about there's a massive camp full of children seperated from their parents you'd think big blue would do something about it

Cool set of panels though

The eternal conundrum of comics set in the "real world" is that if you have the hero solve a real problem it stops being the "real world". Now some comics like Miracleman run with that and turn out great, but then they stop being superhero stories and become more like science-fiction. Marvel setting all their heroes in New York made them more relatable and human, but simultaneously means they have to limit what the hero is narratively allowed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Infinitum posted:

Not to get all 'The Authority' but if your boyfriend is Superman and you know about there's a massive camp full of children seperated from their parents you'd think big blue would do something about it

https://nonadventures.com/

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Huh, that's a good point about her cloak making a hole in the wall.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Infinitum posted:

Husband.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

reminds me of the good old times of the early 2000s comics.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

galagazombie posted:

The eternal conundrum of comics set in the "real world" is that if you have the hero solve a real problem it stops being the "real world". Now some comics like Miracleman run with that and turn out great, but then they stop being superhero stories and become more like science-fiction. Marvel setting all their heroes in New York made them more relatable and human, but simultaneously means they have to limit what the hero is narratively allowed to do.
Leave aside Superman, who you can at least semi plausibly say has made the choice to limit his short-term benefit to Earth in order to maximize his long-term benefit by not making governments his enemy.

What about the loving Spectre?

You'd think people would clean up their loving act if they knew the Spectre was around.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

Leave aside Superman, who you can at least semi plausibly say has made the choice to limit his short-term benefit to Earth in order to maximize his long-term benefit by not making governments his enemy.

You'd think people would clean up their loving act if they knew the Spectre was around.

I dunno seems to me like having some kind of supreme authority confirming that heaven and hell are real would make certain people zealous monsters. I mean just take any kind of religious extremist; see how because of their belief, (either in something real or not doesn't really factor into it) their supposed "closeness" with their deity, that everything is permitted to them. So it wouldn't make people better.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

I dunno seems to me like having some kind of supreme authority confirming that heaven and hell are real would make certain people zealous monsters. I mean just take any kind of religious extremist; see how because of their belief, (either in something real or not doesn't really factor into it) their supposed "closeness" with their deity, that everything is permitted to them. So it wouldn't make people better.

That's a good point. Classic Spectre mostly killed criminals in gruesome ways - as far as being the personification of God's wrath goes, that's a pretty right-wing take on God. His existence might actually be a talking point for the authoritarian wing of the evangelical movement.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nessus posted:

"Hey, should we embezzle this money from the starving orphans?"

"What are you talking about, it's money! What, you're afraid that you're going to jail? The justice system in this country is a joke!"

"Nah, I'm worried that the immortal Spirit of Vengeance will horribly take me away from mortal coil and curse me to sorrow and torture forever."

"Spectre? Isn't he a myth?"

"Man, he was on CNN fighting some space monsters two days ago!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DarkCrawler posted:

"What are you talking about, it's money! What, you're afraid that you're going to jail? The justice system in this country is a joke!"

"Nah, I'm worried that the immortal Spirit of Vengeance will horribly take me away from mortal coil and curse me to sorrow and torture forever."

"Spectre? Isn't he a myth?"

"Man, he was on CNN fighting some space monsters two days ago!"

More like,

"Sure, gently caress them!"

"But I'm worried that the immortal Spirit of Vengeance will horribly take me away from mortal coil and curse me to sorrow and torture forever."

"lol why, it's just starving orphans. If God wanted them to live, they wouldn't be starving."

"Sound logic, that!"

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
You know it would pretty unrealistic to assume that politics in a comic book universe would be exactly like ours. I mean the president would have to negotiate with an enovy of literal talking gorillas in DC's universe. Hell Latveria's ambassadors are most definitely all doombots.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 5, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

More like,

"But I'm worried that the immortal Spirit of Vengeance will horribly take me away from mortal coil and curse me to sorrow and torture forever."

"lol why, it's just starving orphans. If God wanted them to live, they wouldn't be starving."

"Sound logic, that!"

Hey he's the spirit of wrath, not justice

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

More like,

"Sound logic, that!"

Or,

"Hey, should we engineer a debt crisis to get rich off market speculation?"

"Yeah, great idea!"

"But I'm worried that the immortal Spirit of Vengeance will horribly take me away from this mortal coil and curse me to sorrow and torture forever."

"Nah, man, he only gruesomely murders like, mafia guys and cultists and stuff. It's fine."

"Oh, okay! Cool!"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I still think it's weird that DC officially made yahweh the capital g God of that universe

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

site posted:

I still think it's weird that DC officially made yahweh the capital g God of that universe

Well, it's not like they could use Kirby.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Samovar posted:

Doesn't help that she actually colluded with the latter to keep her government in power.

I love the bit Frankie Boyle does about how much her funeral would cost:

'For that amount of money you could buy everyone in Scotland a shovel, and we would dig a hole so deep that we could hand her over to Satan personally '

*Audience applauds and cheers

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Android Blues posted:

Or,

"Hey, should we engineer a debt crisis to get rich off market speculation?"

"Yeah, great idea!"

"But I'm worried that the immortal Spirit of Vengeance will horribly take me away from this mortal coil and curse me to sorrow and torture forever."

"Nah, man, he only gruesomely murders like, mafia guys and cultists and stuff. It's fine."

"Oh, okay! Cool!"

There's a scene in Punisher Max where two crooks has that same conversation about Frank Castle. Then one of them says "but what if that's no longer true?" and then they both run away.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Alhazred posted:

There's a scene in Punisher Max where two crooks has that same conversation about Frank Castle. Then one of them says "but what if that's no longer true?" and then they both run away.

Avulsion posted:

Punisher MAX was a great book not because of the excessive violence, but because of how well it conveyed the concept that Frank Castle is not a Hero. He's a monster every bit as bad as the people he kills, sometimes worse. Killing bad guys doesn't make him one of the good guys.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

With regards to the Spectre I'm just going on the time he said "This man is innocent, don't execute him," and it was explained to him that he was tried and found guilty by the people of New York state, to which the Spectre's response was: "So you're telling me that the entire population of New York state would be responsible for his murder, are you?"

They put that guy in prison for life.

It wouldn't necessarily make people better, but it would be different.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"Do as I say or I will murder literally everyone in the state" ain't a great look for your movement though

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
very on brand for old testament God though

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yeah, The Spectre is very much his own thing and doesn't play by mortal rules.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

That is metal but also :wtf: as hell

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

thatbastardken posted:

very on brand for old testament God though

I'm remembering the scene where he catches some gay-bashers

and they're all "wow, it's the Spectre! Hi, Spectre! Aren't you proud of us? You're our inspiration!"

Toshimo posted:

.... is that Ben Templesmith art?

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Discendo Vox posted:

That shading is glorious. Who worked on this?

John Totleben. Also collaborated with Moore on Swamp Thing (mostly inking Steve Bisette's pencils). Got some kind of eye disease, so he doesn't work much (or at all?) nowadays.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Toshimo posted:

Personally I would make fun of his Hank Hill rear end situation and laugh my way to eternal torment

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"Do as I say or I will murder literally everyone in the state" ain't a great look for your movement though

In the 1992 John Ostrander Spectre run, the Spectre murders the entire population of Vlatava, the fictional country Count Vertigo is from, because its civil wars and ethnic cleansings have gone on so long that he deems the entire nation to be "full of sin".

It's also made canonical in that run that the Spectre destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. So, like, yeah, things would definitely be different, but the existence of a literal avenging angel who obliterates "sinful" countries in annihilating fire would probably be a bad influence on American politics, on the whole.

(It's worth noting that, at this point, the Spectre is no longer the hero of that run. The Phantom Stranger and Dr. Fate and such are teaming up to try to stop him, and the takeaway is basically, "the Spectre embodies the values of the God of the Old Testament, and that God is mercilessly cruel". There's even a flashback to the Plagues of Egypt where an ancient Dr. Fate battles the Spectre in a failed attempt to stop him from delivering the final plague and murdering all the first-born sons of the Egyptians).

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Android Blues posted:

In the 1992 John Ostrander Spectre run, the Spectre murders the entire population of Vlatava, the fictional country Count Vertigo is from, because its civil wars and ethnic cleansings have gone on so long that he deems the entire nation to be "full of sin".

It's also made canonical in that run that the Spectre destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. So, like, yeah, things would definitely be different, but the existence of a literal avenging angel who obliterates "sinful" countries in annihilating fire would probably be a bad influence on American politics, on the whole.

(It's worth noting that, at this point, the Spectre is no longer the hero of that run. The Phantom Stranger and Dr. Fate and such are teaming up to try to stop him, and the takeaway is basically, "the Spectre embodies the values of the God of the Old Testament, and that God is mercilessly cruel". There's even a flashback to the Plagues of Egypt where an ancient Dr. Fate battles the Spectre in a failed attempt to stop him from delivering the final plague and murdering all the first-born sons of the Egyptians).

That run was so weird and ambitious, I should really reread it one of these days. I remember the Percival Popp revamp as being very 90s but also kind of endearing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Parahexavoctal posted:

.... is that Ben Templesmith art?

Yup.
https://www.comixology.com/Gotham-By-Midnight-2014-2015-5/digital-comic/204972

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Toshimo posted:

I like how the Bat Symbol is turned on because everything is going pear shaped and someone went "HEY BATMAN! HELP!"

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
I'm sure Batman has a Kaiju Contingency.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vonnie posted:

I'm sure Batman has a Kaiju Contingency.

Yeah, it involves getting stepped on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Of course Bruce is a sub

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Of course Bruce is a sub

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

he's loving it

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That's not the expression of someone who is struggling and everyone involved knew about it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

From that angle, he sees London, he sees France...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

From that angle, he sees London, he sees France...

It's Wonder Woman, he sees that when he's standing up.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

nice

Synthbuttrange posted:

reminds me of the good old times of the early 2000s comics.

source pleease!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

nice

source pleease!

Black Summer by Warren Ellis, either issue #0 or issue #1
(Avatar was doing this dumbass thing of labeling the first issue #0)