Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
"Only the at may survive"? What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Come on, you know Molly is out having adventures with Doop in mind-boggling alternate realities.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

K Prime posted:

The best touch is Alfred pausing to clean his hands before picking up Bruce.

Did they ever say what ended up happening to Alfred? I don't think the game ever addressed it, but I thought he was mentioned as having been killed.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gavok posted:

Exactly. In the comic, he's melted by heat vision and his remains fall into the ocean. His in-game storyline is that he's been living in secret in the form of Aquaman's advisor in Atlantis. It fits pretty well.

Yeah, considering the lengths some things had to go to kill J'onn in other stories, a simple heat vision burn isn't going to cut it.

Didn't Darkseid have him rendered down on the atomic level as fuel for a reactor or something in one time line because literally nothing else would kill him (and the process took several months or something)?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mr. Maltose posted:

In Morrison's Rock of Ages storyline Desaad smashed J'onn atom by atom in a particle accelerator because how else do you torture a shapeshifter?

Why the answer isn't More Fire is an exercise for the reader.

Was that before or after that time J'onn got over his fear of fire and basically rampaged around as a Martian Torch, setting things on fire and beating the poo poo out of the Justice League until they guilt trip him into re-instituting the fear of fire?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

prefect posted:

So the "Nn! WHUUI Oh" is coming from his headless neck? :black101:

More like Scott creaming his pants over killing Magneto.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Uthor posted:

Dream takes no poo poo.

Sandman Overture #3

Dream is pretty loving hardcore in the poo poo he does to people that cross him. Eternal Waking and keeping an old man from dying so he can constantly live in the nightmare of waking up but not actually waking up, condemning a woman to Hell for dumping him, etc.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Whatever happened to that Thor comic where Galactus comes along to give Thor the gift of one last epic battle before he dies?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

SlothBear posted:

If there's a character in the marvel universe that should get rendered catatonic by the penance stare...

I thought the penance stare made you feel the pain/anguish you've caused innocents, though. How many innocents has Frank actually killed?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Okay, that was actually pretty cool.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Anything should be better than his treatment in the Justice League cartoons, right?

I think there was one decent appearance with him in the original Batman animated series (also: Etrigan), but that's it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Which event was it where The Spectre decides all Magic on Earth is Evil and decides to go about destroying all sources of Magic, killing the old wizard Shazam and blowing up Atlantis?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Chinaman7000 posted:

On one hand, I think Ostrander is one of the best writers the medium has been lucky to have, and I also really liked scenes I've seen of his Spectre run in a lot of places.

But I don't think anything to do with the stories mentioned are badass or cool or even interesting. The antagonists are all strawmen and the Spectre gets away with broad stroke simple solutions that work not because they make sense but because the character threatens and is capable of genocide to get his way.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but what message is even being conveyed there?

edit: also the Flash should totally be Quicksilver fast, not literal lightspeed fast. Thanks for listening.

It makes more sense when you realize The Spectre is more about Vengeance than Justice. He's literally (in the comics anyway) the spirit responsible for killing the firstborn children of Egypt (yeah, from that story).

So you basically end up with stories about how that particular spirit would react to specific semi-modern situations. He isn't meant to be thought of as an actual hero so much as a foil against which to judge a society in which specific situations can happen.

Like the bit about how the people endorsing and supporting a death penalty are all guilty of murder if they ever execute an innocent man.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hand of the King posted:

Serious questions: I don't know anything about DC. Does Batman have a plan for every villain and superhero? Does he ever lose?

Times when Batman loses give us things like Knightfall and Azrael-Batman.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Babe Magnet posted:

he's kratos' daughter

?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Die Laughing posted:

Batman also lost in Justice and OMAC Project.

Pretty sure the OMAC project one was the one where Superman was mind controlled into thinking Batman was Doomsday/Darkseid/Whatever and flattened Batman. The only reason Batman survived is he was wearing some bullshit armor suit that was designed to let him fight OMACs.

Then Wonder Woman shows up, punts Superman to the side and breaks Maxwell Lord's neck.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I don't understand how Morlun is still around. I thought he got eaten years ago when The Other happened.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BlackCircle posted:

There was also the pages in issue 2 where Thor is calling to Mjolnir while kicking the poo poo out of a bunch of assassins which is probably just as badass as the pages you posted above.

Ragnarok is really loving good.

Where can I buy it in dead tree format online?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I like how the sound is one letter off from being an avatar of Peace coming out of a weapon wielded by a deity of War.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
So Crisis on Infinite Earths again?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

prefect posted:

The Choose Your Own Adventure situation that sticks in my mind was you sitting in a car, and then you feel somebody holding a gun up against the back of your neck. They want you to give them something (I don't remember what it was). If you call bullshit, they blow your brains out. If you give them what they want, they split and you find out they didn't have a gun; they were just pressing a metal tube against the back of your neck. :argh:

There was one CYOA in the Endless Quest series ("Dragon of Doom") that was basically figuring out a way to not get killed until help arrived. "You" never really did anything important to affect the story outcome so much as not make bad decisions until the antagonist pisses that book's version of God off enough for him to intervene.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Say Nothing posted:

Read Jake Wyatt's Necropolis web comic. It's pretty badass.

http://necropoliscomic.tumblr.com/post/118905492171/prologue

For some reason I was thinking this was a much longer comic than the one you linked. What am I confusing it with?

The one I'm thinking of was a girl with a sword casually destroying a bunch of monsters in a similar art style, but the linked webcomic stops not long after the panels you posted.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, that's it.

I'm going to have to figure out how to subscribe to a comic when that one finally starts coming out in proper dead tree format.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

team overhead smash posted:

If you're near a comic store you can go in and put together a pull list. They'll put aside the comics you ask for so they don't sell out, then you can just go in and pick them up whenever you're passing.

This would be tricky because the nearest actual comic book selling store is about 40 miles away in a completely different direction from my usual work commute/social activity driving habits.

Gaz-L posted:

I think Image even have mail delivery options as well, if you order direct from them.

Probably going to just look into this.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Does anyone have that "Jesus vs. Olympians" series of panels?

You know, since we're posting Samson panels?

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 17, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm catching up on the whole Lady Thor run and thought this moment was pretty badass (The Mighty Thor #4).

Now for the issue after it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
How is what looks like Tony Stark punched in half by Thanos badass again?

I mean, given the huge power difference between the two of them I figure that should be expected.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Looks more like War Machine

Eh. Maybe. So many armors and I'd recently seen the armor Tony used to kick the poo poo out of the Fae/Elves, which looked somewhat similar at a glance.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The bit just a few pages later where he faces down the entirety of Hell is slightly more badass.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
And there is the "everyone has the same face" bit.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Jerusalem posted:

both Bill & Ted movies.

There was more than the one?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Does anyone have those panels from the story where Wolverine gets killed, resurrected, and mind controlled by the Hand into murdering various superheroes, and then he (along with a handful of zombie Hand ninjas) somehow manages to sneak up on Daredevil? Someone brought it up in a convo today and I recall that fight being particularly good.

I remember reading that! But I don't remember when it happened.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The head at the bottom of the last page has me cracking up. Did she just cut it off? Did it fly in from somewhere else? Why is it so small?

Stardust the Super Wizard showed up.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Parahexavoctal posted:

Thank you for reminding me to listen to the Nextwave theme song.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuosmf1_mKs

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Pureauthor posted:

Remember all that?

Yeah well that's all worth jack because gods suck and he's unwooooorthyyy

Yeah, well, Skurge's last stand notwithstanding, the comics mean jack in the trailer because Mjolnir is shattered by Hel.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dick Trauma posted:

That hairstyle looks familiar. Is it Lilandra from the old X-Men comics?

No, she's one of the gods of the Shi'ar though!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It would've been slightly before that. The joke is that it's a Geoff Johns trademark and the first I can recall him doing it is an issue of Hawkman from 2003 or so where Hawkman hacks off the Matter Master's arm with an axe.

What about this classic from the 1980s?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

prefect posted:

At least one of their planets got eaten by a Metallica song.

:black101:

I'm nowhere near as familiar with Metallica as I thought, apparently, because I do not recognize the song that is in reference to.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

prefect posted:

It's called the "Harvester of Sorrow", and I couldn't find any scans with a picture of it and also the name. :blush:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/File:Harvester_of_Sorrow_Annihilation_Super-Skrull_Vol_1_4.jpg

Ah, Okay, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ImpAtom posted:

Bruce Wayne has a manservant specifically dedicated to making him not seem like a ridiculous crazy hobo.

Yeah, but said manservant has been dead for decades by that point.