Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Star Wars: Republic #9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jango Fett: Open Seasons #3

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Indeed. It's probably a bit hard to tell because of the hat (which he bought in the previous issue because some children were making fun of his head).

Ki-Adi-Mundi was originally the main character, but he fell by the wayside once Ostrander and Duursema took over and made Quinlan Vos the (who was admittedly a more interesting character) focus of the book.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's "Only the fit may survive."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

It's funny that my friends who don't read comics often love Civil War. I think when you take character no-one knows the history behind and turn them into broad characters devoid of backhistory you can appeal to a big market.

Kind of like Identity Crisis in that respect.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FredMSloniker posted:

So, uh, did they write Lois out or something? Because the whole 'Superman and Wonder Woman are an item' thing never worked for me.

I know, while I've heard a lot about the new Supes/WW relationship, I've not been following many current DC Comics, and it's still kind of weird to see.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jango Fett: Open Seasons #4

There's another scene from this issue which I'll see if I can upload.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since my previous effort wasn't so successful, I'll try again with Infinity Gauntlet #5:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I posted these near the end of the previous thread, but I could only find them in black and white then, and the quality of the scans wasn't great.

Here's the full-colour version of Jaspers vs the Fury from The Mighty World of Marvel #11 and #12 (by Alans Moore and Davis).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Senor Candle posted:

I'm sure glad this isn't in print! I'd hate to read it.

I have the omnibus. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Another childhood favourite of mine:

Sonic the Comic #44

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cabbit posted:

I'm not sure why DC would be up in arms at a pastiche of the JL being portrayed as more moral and hopeful than some of Marvel's greatest characters.

The fact they're not tearing anybody's arms off might be construed as misrepresentation of the DC line.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Trauma posted:

I can remember a Fantastic Four run where they set Galactus upon some other cosmic rear end in a top hat in a battle over who gets to eat the Earth and I was expecting some good fightin' but of course it ends with Reed bringing out the goddamn Ultimate Nullifier again, or something that looked like an Ultimate Nullifier. Galactus should just find the factory that makes them and eat it.

That was at the end of Marv Wolfman's run, and the relevant issues were pencilled by John Byrne.

The bad guy in question was the Sphinx, who escapes being the worst FF villain from the 1970s solely by virtue of the fact that Salem's Seven and Janus the Nega-Man were created in the same decade.

Galactus beats him in a fist fight then shoots him back in time to relive his entire life up to the moment he was defeated because even though Galactus is above human morality, he's still a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've not read the JMS one myself, but the Squadron Supreme miniseries from the 1980s by Mark Gruenwald is definitely worth checking out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

And if I remember right, literally one issue after Morrison's run finished, this was retconned :sigh:

It's not the fact they retconned it that's so annoying (because that was inevitable) as much as it's the fact that they couldn't retcon it fast enough.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure Magneto will be a full-blown supervillain again by the time AXIS goes through - my impression is that Marvel's trying to revert its X-continuity (at least) to something approximating 2003/04.

Die Laughing posted:

Nah, he just got stabbed, maybe crippled. Started collecting monthly X-Men with the arc before Morrison came aboard.

That's Lobdell's second run, which sets up how Magneto has kidnapped Xavier, crucified him in public, and marshalled an army of mutants to wage war against mankind, then it sort of peters out (because Marvel didn't want to delay Morrison taking over) and ends with Wolverine stabbing him in the stomach, putting him in a wheelchair and... his army all go home, I guess?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 22, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have an inkling that was from John Byrne's run in the late 1980s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chinaman7000 posted:

Superman who has mind reading(sometimes controlling?), shapeshifting, and intangibility. Then again no freeze breath so that's probably why he sucks.

There was an Image book a number of years ago called Dynamo 5 by Jay Faerber (which was pretty good, even though it didn't really have an ending), in whichthe five members of the titular team are the illegitimate children of a superhero who each got one of his superpowers: super strength; flight (at super speed); vision powers (heat, x-ray, telescopic etc); telepathy; shape-changing (apparently into anything, including animals). Seemed like a bit of an odd mixture to me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Flesh Forge posted:

Hi I'm The Blob and my superpower is being really really fat. Take me seriously motherfuckers.

Sure, in his first appearance the Blob was explicitly introduced by Professor X saying something like, "To me, my X-Men! Cerebro has detected a mutant who could be the deadliest threat to the entire world!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would've been entertaining if Angel or Iceman or somebody had said, "Come off it, Xavier. Last time you said that you sent us out to fight the Vanisher." (Also true.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone loved and/or was creepily obsessed with Jean in early X-Men, because she was the only girl on a team of guys. One element of early Claremont that's often overlooked is that he actually referred back to the Silver Age run quite a lot (up to and including the time Cyclops convinced the Sentinels that the best way to destroy mutants was to fly into space and fight the sun), and when Xavier introduces the team to Lilandra for the first time, and Jean is there, he says something well dodgy like, "She is Lilandra, princess of the Shi'ar, and I love her as I once thought I loved you."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Polaron posted:

He then ran into Bane and the Riddler (who seemed to be planning their version of the event that ended with Bane breaking Batman) and kicked his rear end so thoroughly that Bane was completely demoralized and Riddler was left utterly baffled.

Then there's the bit where Superman reveals he can control his vocal chords precisely enough to perfectly emulate Batman's voice. And Robin's, which freaks him out.

Nyeehg posted:

Forgive my ignorance but what's up with Max Landis? All I know about him is that he wrote the screenplay for the film Chronicle. Is his other work garbadge? Is he a jerk? What?

I've heard that he's kind of a representative for the "These comics are Very Serious! Look how many arms get ripped off in this issue! Take me seriously!" fan stereotype. If true, not a problem in itself, but it can rub people the wrong way.

However, my only exposure to him is a Spider-Man fanfic he wrote something like 12 years ago called The Shocker: Legit, which starts off okay and had a cool enough premise (not unlike Superior Foes, in some senses), but then descends into Mary Sue Shocker vibrating the adamantium plate out of Hammerhead's skull, exploding Bullseye's testicles, and the main villain is the Shocker's dad, who plots to kill Galactus with a gamma bomb so he can loot the corpse.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 23, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bohemian Nights posted:

e; might as well quote Alex Ross:

"That's a character that Mark Waid invented that was really just put to me like come up with the most God awful, Rob Liefeld sort of design that you can. What I was stealing from was - really only two key designs of Rob's - the design of Cable. I hated it. I felt like it looked like they just threw up everything on the character - the scars, the thing going on with his eye, the arm, and what's with all the guns? But the thing is, when I put those elements together with the helmet of Shatterstar -- I think that was his name -- well, the ram horns and the gold, suddenly it held together as one of the designs that I felt happiest with in the entire series"

There's a story about how Liefeld reacted when he heard about this. His response was... to brag about how much money he'd made off Cable and Shatterstar.

Which is kinda hard to argue with, to be honest.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, Ock once took out the Hulk when he had adamantium tentacles. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

To be fair the Vulture has never been a credible threat. If he wasn't a Silver Age Ditko design he'd be in the dust bin of history.

He was a fairly big deal in the 1980s because he was Roger Stern's favourite classic Spidey villain. In fact, Stern made a point of not leaning too heavily on the traditional rogues' gallery in favour of introducing new bad guys (Hobgoblin) or pitting Spider-Man against villains he wasn't accustomed to fighting (Nitro, Juggernaut, Mr Hyde), but Vulture was the one Silver Age enemy he regularly brought back and he put a great deal of effort into making him reasonably credible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, I mean I love Marvel to death but the JLA are almost entirely in a weight class above the Avengers.

There's even a bit where Aquaman comments to Superman (who, at this point, believes the Avengers don't do enough for their Earth) that the Marvel heroes seem less powerful, and guess they have to fight twice as hard as the JLA just to keep things on an even keel.

Heresiarch posted:

Am I the only person who remembers the X-Men/Teen Titans crossover, which was much, much better than it had any right to be? It predated the huge multi-series event structure that everybody does these days so they just focused on that one issue, and it got me as a kid to pick up DC books for the first time.

Rumour has it that Jim Shooter was really quite upset that they ended up crossing over with the Titans; he'd wanted the Legion of Super-Heroes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Also, Hawkeye calls them Squadron Supreme knockoffs.

There's a panel I like where Hawkeye shoots a boomerang arrow at the Flash, who catches it and says, "Sorry, but I've got a bit of experience with boomerangs," and Hawkeye's all like, "It would've worked on the Whizzer!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, when the JLA shift over to Marvel Earth, they land in what would be downtown Metropolis on their Earth, and it's an empty field. Superman (or the Flash; one or the other, or maybe both) looks about and says this Earth doesn't have some of their cities, but it does have some that they don't have.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dandaman posted:

I could have sworn I read somewhere that Supergirl is supposed to be stronger than him??

I think it's usually explained as being that Supergirl doesn't hold her full power back like Superman has taught himself to, so she only seems like she's stronger than him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was that one of the JMS issues of "Grounded", or was that after he left?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair posted:

It was indeed Grounded, so if you think that was stupid, just remember... Grounded.

I mean, was it the JMS issues, or was it from one of the issues after JMS quit?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I love the bit where Luthor-as-Flash ends up in the Watchtower's bathroom, and he says, "Well, if nothing else, I can discover the Flash's secret identity." <unmasks> "... I have no idea who this is." Flash-as-Luthor referring to himself in the third-person is great as well.

Seriously, that whole last season of JLU is a big Super Friends riff and it's brilliant.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vincent posted:

In the last page of the issue, which so far has been rather serious, we see the weapon a scientist has prepared to face the invaders:

This is amazing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McSpanky posted:

At least in that case you can assume they're being accredited offscreen and we aren't seeing it because it's boring minutiae compared to their adventures, it's not like you need multiple PhDs to teach kids. And do private schools even need formal qualification for their instructors?

Did Havok ever manage to get his geology PhD?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Andrast posted:

Doesn't Oda sleep like 4 hours a night with his schedule?

Just like Margaret Thatcher.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's how Samurai Jack was able to get away with its cartoon violence; Jack only ever chopped up robots and got doused head to toe in their blood and gore oil.

It's a shame Byrne's WCA run turned out like it did (i.e. "Only I know how these characters are supposed to work, for I am John Byrne, and you're all gonna sit down, shut up and like it") because it had some of his best art at the same time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

I was just reading this, about John Byrne's original plans for the Scarlet Witch: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2006/05/18/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-51/

Reminds me; it's pretty weird in retrospect that Black Knight was seemingly a hugely popular character in Avengers under Stern and Harras.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Redeye Flight posted:

Been a while since I read Life and Times, but would that stranger's initials happen to be F.G.?

Yeah, his name is never mentioned in the story, but the last panel has Scrooge resolving to leave the Transvaal for Australia (or the Klondike; I can't remember whether he went to South Africa or Australia first) and reflecting on the various enemies he's made so far; the Whiskervilles, the Beagle Boys, the Dalton Gang "and one particularly nasty Boer called Flintheart Glomgold."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it was actually 2002-2003 immediately before Waid and Wieringo - it would've been the Carlos Pacheco / Jeph Loeb arc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The one good thing about Identity Crisis was the art. I liked the way Rags Morales drew it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jng2058 posted:

Huh, didn't they do that again for Civil War, but with the positions completely reversed? Amazing how much of a difference 19 years can make.

I'm fairly sure Stan Lee claims to have conceived Tony Stark, a billionaire industrialist capitalist who built weapons for the government and smashed communists as much as he fought supervillains, as being exactly the kind of character Marvel's "thinking" fans in the 1960s - specifically the university students and counter-culture types - would loathe to see if they'd still buy the comic.