Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Ki Adi Mundi doesn't get nearly enough respect as the badass Jedi he is. He certainly proves himself as awesome more than Boba Fett does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Zero_Tactility posted:

It was necessary to trim it a bit to post here (since that scene takes up essentially the entire chapter), but I love how that chapter of Vinland Saga is constructed: it takes time to linger on the mood of the surrounding warriors - initially rowdy and betting on how long it'll take to send this shrimp packing (getting beat up was not Thorfinn's initial plan; he uses it as leverage after his initial request to see the king gets laughed off and they start beating on him) and getting more and more solemn as the punch count rises.

There's a risk of being really self-indulgent when a character is suffering for their beliefs, but the "I have no enemies at all" line is a stunning climax to a long and well-constructed character arc and is one of my favorite badass moments.

I should read this. You're right that it would be very easy to make this self-indulgent and possibly hackneyed, but it doesn't. I think that says a lot for the creators of the book that they can manage that. Look at the way the penny drops for the other men in the third to last page. Many artists and writers would make that some big overdramatic thing, or even throw in some vocalizations. Instead, these men are just stoically understanding his lesson and taking it in, but you can still tell that's the moment when they start to understand that their fight is pointless. It reminds me of the way Osama Tezuka took dozens of overwrought and overtold fables and lessons for his biographical series Buddha, and made them amazing and powerful pieces, usually with little effort.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That is such an amazing comic. While I won't say that Alan Moore is the best Superman writer (I say that, but then I am madly in love with "Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow") but man does he make you understand his power level in this book. Also, I love all the small details, like how the "fantasy" sequences have different panel borders for each person the plant is on.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

The cartoon adapted the comic. Its also the only adaption of his work that Original Writer likes.

Well, One of two adaptation he likes

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Vincent posted:

Does the female Mojo (the teacher from the hellfire academy) in Wolverine and the X-men count?

She didn't last time I brought up both her and Mojo II in a discussion about there being only one Mojo.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

You know, if you would have just told me that they made Thor look badass by having him fight Galactus, I probably would have just rolled my eyes and assumed it was another case of people abusing the character to make others look tough. But this is a whole different story. :drat:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ostensibly, Mina is the central protagonist in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and now the series has spun off into the misadventures of incredibly badassed lady pirate Janni Nemo, so there's that.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

KayTee posted:

It's the only other page of that book I copied for the Funny Panels Thread. :allears:
(sorry for the poor quality - my scanner is ancient)

I would buy a whole series that was just these two bickering back and forth while saving the sea.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It bugs me how much Prometheus looks like the Cyril version of The Knight. (Both by Morrison)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I think that issue with pete teaching yondi how to poop was featured in every single grocery store random 3-pack of comics in the 80s. I had like five copies of it.

It also has Luke Cage teach him what money is by using the gold standard, which was already a decade out of date at the time (and Danny totally calls him on it) and in return, beyonder turns the HFH building into gold. An element not known for possessing the tensile strength to make for good structural materials. The building immediately collapses on itself.

Wacky.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So, exactly how many not-fantastic-fours have there been so far. It seems like a trope I've run into more than once in my reading. One of the most famous examples being of course the Superman story that eventually spawned Hank Henshaw.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Nilbop posted:

Didn't Justice League Unlimited straight-up kill Terry in that time-travel episode? I don't remember it exactly because it wasn't one of my favourites, but I remember he gets it from the twin Joker girls, of all people. Like they rip him apart with electrified whips, his suit flatlines and we cut to Bruce's stunned reaction.

That was a timey wimey bull that was immediately undone. However, there was a different JLU episode that was basically the finale to BB that they never got to make that not only tied into JLU's plot heavily, but BB's as well, and revealed...things about the show.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

Terry is Batman's son, via some genetic manipulation by Amanda Waller. He was bred to be the next Batman.

Close. Terry's a clone of Bruce, made by Waller. Everything leading up to him becoming Batman was orchestrated by her organization, including the murder of his "father", which is some Boys From Brazil level stuff

Opopanax posted:

Kind of, he needed to use cerebro so he re shaped his brain to be more like Xavier's

I thought he used an MRI Printout to shape it just like Xavier's.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Chaos Hippy posted:

The great contradiction of Superman is that he is an alien defined by his humanity. The thing that makes him Superman isn't the godlike power of his Kryptonian heritage, it's his Mister Rogers-level decency, which he learned from his human parents. Despite being beyond human in every physical way, he is entirely dependent on his connection to humanity. He's a super man. The contrast is often most clearly depicted when he's contrasted against other Kryptonians, who didn't have a human upbringing.

Unless you ask Zack Snyder. Then he's a confused alien who doesn't understand the concept of innocent bystanders.

This is it exactly. Regardless of WHAT the situation does, Clark devotes his life to at least always trying to do what's the very best choice, the most right. That's often times not at all the easiest to perform, nor the easiest to accept. It's not his super strength or his flight or his nigh invulnerability that make him super, it's his unwavering character, one that all humankind can look up to and hope to ascribe to that are why he's the best superhero. He doesn't turn it into moral superiority either, he's just doing the absolute best he can at all times. It took me a long time to see all this instead of having the stereotypical kid attitude of thinking of him as the "big blue boyscout" and preferring the grimdark and brooding heroes, but once I did, I think I kinda even gained more of a respect and hope for humanity as a whole, and what we can achieve. And drat, if you don't see that as a superpower, than I don't know what to say to you.

(Also, it's nice to hear someone besides myself use the "Not a Superman, but a super Man" argument)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Travis343 posted:

It's kind of the opposite of that, Diana doesn't balk, she calls him Clark out of habit and he stares her down until she calls him "Kal". He's withdrawn because Lois and his parents have died, and he's shut out his human side because of the pain. Being human means dealing with death and loss, and he can't handle it - he says "They're earthlings, they die." He doesn't want to be Clark if it means feeling their loss.

Even toward the middle of the story he's still running from Clark's pain and treats him like a different person. When he's telling Diana the story about Brainiac he says he hid part of him in a Pulitzer in 'Clark's' apartment.

And yet the first thing Norman says while trying to reach him in the UN at the end, the very first thing? "Clark?"

God Kingdom Come is such an expertly written book. You could teach classes on comic writing with it and nothing else.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not saying they weren't fun, but they all had really bs ways to kill you arbitrarily. It was like the precursor to Sierra adventure games.

I read a Justice League one when I was a kid. On the Flash path there's a point where the bad guys shoot at you with a weird gun. One option is to vibrate your molecules to go through the projectile, a very Flash thing to do. SURPRISE! the gun's effect is to make you permanently in that stasis, so that you'll never be able to touch another thing again, and are helpless to stop the baddies!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

There actually weren't too many really bad endings in that JL one, which was a "Super Powers" tie-in. Most of them would be "whoops, you misunderstood the clue and the enemies got away!" Also there were three unique story paths as at the beginning they do the standard "heroes need to split up" and you pick one third of the multi-part scheme to handle by choosing which hero to be. I can't remember one of them, but Flash and Batman were the other two.

I just remember being disturbed by the Flash thing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

edit: the hawkeye/galactus thing is a great exemplar of the difference in companies at this point- I could totally see that being contrived up as a joke, whereas DC...and especially IC...it would end badly.

In Mini-Marvels they actually went the opposite direction with the joke, and made Hawkeye the next Herald, and he even got a Galactus Hat of his own :3:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Uthor posted:

This is turning into one of those "would Mike Ditka win" sketches on SNL. I approve.

What would be the score in a football game between little person Ditka, and a whole team of Galactuses?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Badass Panels: Pretty much just Thor: God of Thunder

(this is not a complaint)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Cabbit posted:

Suddenly, I'd buy the poo poo out of a Thunderball solo book like this.

Seriously. It's just so refreshing to see any media that obviously respects intelligence rather than paints it as one of the 3 or 4 stereotypes hollywood broadly relies on.

Edit: Ha! I just noticed the thread title change! :cheers:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I bought this dumb comic, let us check:

That fun fact....doesn't answer anything. So it somehow blows up but doesn't?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I like how in the panel eith Franklin Sue is back in her leotard.

I'm pretty sure that's a color error. Like everything outside the black bikini zone is supposed to be skin and they colored it white instead.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

From what I've seen, he's just got a basic goatee/van dyke type thing, no fancy angles.

Speaking of fancy angles, the perspective on that statue/god/thing is hurting my head.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Toshimo posted:

The NEW FF was and is better than OG FF.

I don't see how this could ever be in question.

Ben Grimm still my homeboy on Yancy Street, tho.

I dunno, it wasn't really overdone yet but I still can't help but be annoyed by the marvel formula of "how do we get kids interested in this team? Just put Wolverine in it!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Toshimo posted:

More like Thorr.

Only about 50% of him.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ygolonac posted:

:bahgawd: AY DIOS MIO, EL REY, QUÉ UN SLOBBERKNOCKER! EL LOBO SE VA A IR SUPLEXED A TRAVÉS DEL YANQUI ANUNCIAR TABLA JUSTO DELANTE DE NOSOTROS! :bahgawd:

(Image from Mike Wolfer's Gallery of Terror, and it's actually one of the few non-fappery/embarrassing images in there.)

Debatable. :flashfap:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

So being wreathed in plasma has no effect, but getting hit by a baseball bat equals major ouchies. So, clearly, Morlun is elementally weak to baseball, which means there's only one way to stop him.

B..Batman?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Gavok posted:

Pussycat! Pussycat Puss!
Neon Noodle!
Jukebox Jaw!
Wolfman!

YOU'RE ALL UNDER ARREST!

You're the hero we deserve Gavok

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I honestly thought he was like, biting the skin off his hand. The art's uh, not very clear on that page.

That the translators felt we'd get things without translating the sound effects doesn't help.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

In the Criminal Justice System, superpowered offenses are considered especially heinous. In Battleworld, the dedicated detectives who investigate these crimes are members of an elite squad known as the Special Thunder Gods Unit. These are their stories.
:doink:
Law & Order: STGU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The only EU books I enjoyed at all were most of the Rogue Squadron series, and a big part of why was A. no expert force users (one of the main characters eventually finds out he's descended from a Jedi Knight because of course he is and that's where the series started tipping downwards in quality) and B. very little use of main SW characters, so it wasn't ruined by mis-voicing them, like so many other of the books do.

So yeah, Star Wars without Star Wars can be pretty rewarding.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lurdiak and I often disagree on things in this world, but yeah, it really isn't grabbing me at all. It feels like it thinks it's a lot more edgy and original than it is. And from the few pages I've seen of her posted around here, "Luci" there looks to me like the creators thought it'd be really cool to combine Lucifer and Desire from Sandman, and just labeled it "good enough".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

This sounds pretty badass, and google isn't helping me find it. Please post this!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The thing I like best about that crossover is while most inter-company crossovers are just fluff fun pieces, apparently EVERYTHING Dredd does counts officially, so in the comics today there really was a point where he hopped dimensions and hung out with Batman.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I love that the long standing gimmick of the exploding Lawgiver in the wrong hand is what decided the battle. :allears:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

PBS Newshour posted:

So a bear trap as a bear trap?

:golfclap:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I think my favorite principled JJJ moment is in the first Spider-Man movie where he chews Pete out about his sloppy work and makes him feel lower than low, then as Parker leaves, Green Goblin smashes into the office demanding his head on a plate, and without the slightest hesitation Jameson lies bold-faced to him and refuses to give Peter up. He's all but fired the kid, and immediately protects him with everything he's got because Parker's still a Bugle man, and Jameson's still a journalist. Neither Pete or JJ mention the sequence ever again, and it just drips with integrity for it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

That always felt like a lame cop-out for most of them. Oh yes I totally knew so let's move on about this earth shattering secret that you agonized for years about letting me in on. We must deflate the dramatic tension immediately or something interesting might happen.

The exception being that one story about Aunt May knowing Pete was Spidey the whole time, which was one of the best spider-man moments in his whole many decades of existence. (And was of course ret-conned out.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Travis343 posted:

Hey, he kept the Rock/Dwayne Johnson mystery going for years without even wearing a dumb pair of glasses.

Wait wait wait. You're trying to tell me Dwayne Johnson is The Rock?!