Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ote="Madkal" post="444643532"]
Fair enough but I think the point is that the police officers are also human beings with human feelings (yes even the robot). When Irma's partner dies and she goes on the rampage it is because she is feeling human grief. When they really want the pedophile creep dude to pay for his crimes it is because they are feeling human anger. Maybe sometime in the future in the real world we can have a police force that is void of human emotions but what the comic book is trying to show is that these characters have human emotions that dictate their decisions.
[/quote]

Oh I fully understand that police forces are staffed by people and not lawbots, but the idea of institutions such as the police or the courts is that they are expected to operate to a higher standard.

And yes that job can be very hard and deal with some deeply unpleasant material. But they shouldn't get a pass for using substandard methods or excessive force because the officer was really annoyed.

Just by way of comparison, from a similar scene from The Original Writer. In the Killing Joke after being tortured for days by the Joker, when Batman frees him look at what he says to him.
"We take him in. By the book!"

That to me is more badass because after what he endured, it would be perfectly understandable for Gordon to want personal revenge on the Joker. Instead he puts his personal feelings aside to focus on his professional duty.
It may not be as pithy or as carthic as the Joe PI example, but it is the higher standard we should expect out of our fictional law enforcement personal.

darthbob88 posted:

Yeah, in the first panel I posted there, Officer Wornow points out that he'd probably live to be 300 years old, and between appeals/paroles/pillar-of-the-community, he'd be out in 15.

Okay child sex abuse is a very unpleasant crime and people have very strong views about what the appropriate punishment is. (Whole life terms. The death penalty. Do you give up on the prospects of rehabilitation. )
But Atoman wasn't getting just a fine or community service. He was about to be caught.
At the very least he was about to endure a very public trial where many details of his personal life would be dragged into the light.
His reputation would be gone.
Even assuming that the police are right about him getting "only" a 15 year sentence. (And that can be the officer being pessimistic. Guessing the sentence for a crime is never an accurate art.)
That is a long sentence for a guy with no super powers and he's got a whole load of enemies.
Prison officers who go to jail get treated EXTREMELY badly by other inmates.
Child sex abusers get treated awfully by other inmates.
Combine the two (as Joe PI was saying) and a jail sentence for Atoman may as well have been a death sentence, or something akin to that.
Either way, it's a decision for the courts. Not for a copbot to bypass the Justice system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I would read the hell out of Marvel's Jesus and Buddha.

There was that time Jesus showed up and punked Satan who was trying to steal Johnny Blaze soul. (Retcons be damned, that is what happened. )

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

I love how everyone's solution for 'robot that is literally indestructible' is 'punch it more'. :allears: So how does Comics Ultron usually get defeated anyway?

Also, I noticed Wonder Man in a couple of those panels. I was actually a fan of his 90s miniseries, at least before it got all dark and brooding. Anyone have scans of that? I'd especially love the '"Okay, go", Neil' page, which I remember to this day.

There was also one I remember where Wonder Man just lays into Ultron, over and over again. Sure he can't break his Adamantin outer layer, but he eventuallu breaks up Ultron 's non Adamantium internal pieces.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

(Punisher: Assassins' Guild. Not actually that badass)

And cut! Okay Frank that was a beautiful action scene. Now we are just going to go and add all the bullet sound effects in post - production and it will be all set.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

prefect posted:

How come this isn't "Secret Wars 3", anyway? :mad:

Because that ran in the Fantastic Four comic series. (Around issue 320. It involved Molecule Man and the Beyonder.)

So this would be Secret Wars IV: A New Hope.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Isn't this part of the arc where Gordon is investigating a criminal who is giving gangers drugs that give them super powers but also spectacularly self destruct.
So Jim using lethal force in self defence against ticking time bombs makes it a bit more justifiable.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

DarkCrawler posted:

One of them is actually smart, right? He just likes hanging out with his dumb friends?

Yeah, Thunderball is like Matt Damon from Good Will Hunting.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The "kid" was actually the mother of those kids.
She dies, but because she was British and Brian Braddock had moved onto the king of the Outworld, he shows up and gives her the same choice he was given. The Sword or the Stone.
She choses the Sword and becomes the new Captain Britain.
She is later renamed to Lionheart, shows up in Claremounts Excalibre run (where she is being mind controlled. 'Natch.)

And after that was into obscurity.
As for why you never heard of this? This was the Avengers run just before Disassembled so she never got a proper run on Avengers.

And yes, those pages were written by Chuck Austin.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Latveria seems to have a really low credit rating:

We can't let Latveria go to the wall. Dr. Doom is too big to fail!!

(This is also the plot to Secret Wars.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

No, Claremont made it such that there's a right and a wrong choice. It was later decided that those who made the wrong choice get super powers anyway.

And in Earth/Universe/Paradise X, Alex Ross made it so that BOTH choices were the wrong choice.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

LawfulWaffle posted:

If Thunderball is so smart, you'd think he'd maybe give the chain a little more slack so it wraps around the shield to the soft target behind it, instead of hitting the indestructible shield over and over.

Given that she ends up dying because even though she is wielding an indestructible shield, she's a normal housewife and doesn't have the training/physical strength to fend off super strong attacks, I think Thunderball won that argument.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I can almost see where Austen might have been coming from, to be fair. "Well, it's not much of a test if you're told which is right, and who in their right mind wouldn't pick the sword unless they got told it was the correct choice?!"

I'm almost sure that Lionheart herself complains about this when she's told what the answer is. Like she says "My family were in danger. Of course I'm going to chose the Sword, to protect them."

Meanwhile Brian Braddock is just like that Kevin Prenders Sonic comic where Tails asks the godlike head a question, it's silent and then vanishes.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Fer God's sake. The dude's had the SAME POWER for 52 years! How hard is that to get right? :doh:

If it's any consulation, the time Cyclops fixed Colossus head after it got dented inwards so bad he couldn't turn back to human form was in the 90's. And to fix him Moria McTagart, Beast and Charles Xavier fixed him with Surgery. Cyclops was using his Optic Blast into a machine to create the laser, so you could argue that the beam was only powering the machine.

Oh and I'm sure that in some comic they said that Colossus bleeds crackling Kirkby style energy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

If John Cena could even remotely act he would probably be an amazing shazam

He's really good in the Trainwreck.
His character is one of the best parts of that film. I think he can do comedy/ goofy really well.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

It's HAVING hustle, not hustling people, JACK.

(Que the end of the movie where Captain Marvel Cena looks down to the defeated Black Adam Rock.)

Cena: Don't you understand Teth? The Hustle, Loyalty and Respect was inside us all this time. We didn't need magic lightning to change that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

BRRRRRRRAPPPER DUUUUUDEEEE!!

*Horns*
*Credits*

(A huge bunch of people go onto the internet to complain about how awful this film is, and how Captain Marvel keeps winning fights.
WWE and WB makes a billion dollars.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

darthbob88 posted:

:argh: As annoying as the usual "titanium weapon" line is, it's especially bad for a club because the main benefit of titanium is that it's super light.

That's why in the year 2078, scientists changed Titanium to make it super heavy.

For fans of characters who are 36 calibre years old, check out the current Contest of Champions mini.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah see! This guy gets it. I thought it was all mirrors and composited split shots and the like. For me I figured it out when I met Vin Diesel in person and realized he was way too short.

Maybe the person you met was just Vin Diesel's sidekick and confidant* dressed up as him as part of an attempt to preserve his secret identity. Like how Batman sometimes gets Robin to dress up as Bruce Wayne.

* = In this case it was probably Dame Judy Dench dressed as Vin.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pre-Clone Saga Spider-Man in the 1990s would probably be summed up by Solo smashing through a window firing two machine guns and yelling, "WHILE I LIVE, TERROR DIES!"

Personally this image is what I think of when I think of 90's comics.
Like I would go out of my way to include Solo in any story or part thereof set in the 90's.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

This sounded amazing so i tried googling around for it. This is all I could really find on it.

edit: this book actually sounds really great. https://graphicnovelty.wordpress.com/2009/08/08/the-best-book-youre-probably-not-reading/ Anyone here own it?

Yeah I did. It's a 12 issue series written by Greg Pakk. I liked it.

In the series Rhody is a cyborg after getting mostly blown up. But he's constantly being fed videos of war atrocities so he's driven to kill as many war criminals until he dies.
The meta plot is thst Tony grew a clone body to put Rhodey in before he died. But Dark Reign happened and Tony went on the run and Norman Osborn took the body to use as leverage against War Machine.

In the end they fight Ultimo and Norman Osborn is pretty great. And Rhody does get into the clone body.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I think the real question is Can Women justify their need for extra marital relations?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I learned everything I needed to know about Growlers from the OOTS thread where people discovered there was a prestige class where you could mind control people into being your followers by being really good at knowing stuff or making farting noises with your hands or jumping.
This thread just proves that some people in the real world have gone into this class.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I was trying to buy the Blu-Ray of Edge of Tomorrow at Best Buy since I had some credit and I guess they're kinda walking the US title to the international one (Live/Die/Repeat), so it got alphabetized there, even though the stickers and stuff all say "Edge of Tomorrow".

Yeah I was about to come in here and say that.
Since Edge of Tomorrow is like the most generic Sci-fi movie title imaginable. (It sounds like a fake working title you give to a major movie to throw people off the scent) they seem to have retconned it's name to being Live Die Repeat for the home market.

I liked the movie. Decent action film, a lot of very funny bits. I liked the cast. And it did the 52 thing of have an excellent ending which in my mind improves the quality of a work of fiction.
(In Edge of Tomorrow case it was have the final song be Love You Again just as he sees Emily Blunt for the "first time". Very well done.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Fun fact if you go back and look at the trade paper backs of Knights End (where Batman comes back and claims his title back of Jean Paul Valley) there is a bit where Az-Bat is talking about how he is a good guy because he beats up villains.
He mentions that he defeated "Jigsaw."

Which is a reference to the Chuck Dixon Punisher/Batman crossover. So that one was cannon, I guess.

Oh and speaking of Punisher, Archie/Punisher was referenced by way of a photograph in the super crazy Archie/Predator crossover. So they are also cannon, I guess.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

WickedHate posted:

In The Savage Sword of Conan, Conan fights a man who's gimmick is that he's a serial killer specializing in strangling. What follows is the most goddamn thing ever:

Conan comics have some amazing scenes.

One of my favourite ones is where Conan fights a demon whose entire gimmick is that he's unbeatable and unkillable.
And Conan proceeds to kick the ever loving dog poo poo out of it. To such an extent that he starts running/crawling away from Conan. Who keeps beating on him, all the while.

That's bad rear end.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

That Ignorant Sap posted:

Hercules smashing Galactus in his balls was in What If v2 #41

And the follow up, because why not?

Real talk. One of my all time favourite things in comics is when two people get into a fight and they both throw punches that hit off each other.
That poo poo be epic!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Nilbop posted:

That part itself was pretty cool (80s obsessed idiot teenage supergod) but the Ivory Kings themselves weren't. They're good for exactly one story and it's been told. I'm really hoping Ewing isn't seeding the idea of them returning in Ultimates 2, because I have so little interest in revisiting that story again.

Agreed. The Ivory Kings were awesome as this menacing threat mentioned, always in the wings and ready to be used.

And then they sort of appear and go in short succession. (Though seeing them drive Hank Pym mad or how two completely kill off the Avengers super heavyweights was cool.)

The only thing I found funny was the initial design of the Ivory Kings made them look like the Moonites from Aqua Teen Hunger Force on steroids.

That should be how they get re-introduced.

BTW remember in the early days of New Avengers where the most popular fan theory was that all the factions were composed of the end points of the Illuminati developments? (That the Priests were Dr. Strange's. The builders were Beast and Ironman. El Rabish was Reed Richards. The Ivory King was Black Bolt and the Ebony King* was Black Panther.)
That the plot was going on a "The Illuminati in their parinoia become the threat they wanted to fight."

It's not often that a story becomes better than the popular fan theory ends up.

*= When a typo in one issue creates speculation about the existence of a new faction, you are doing a good job as a writer.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Really? I uh, didn't realize this was a rare occurrence.

Fan theory can often go in new or exciting directions. Or they are satisfying in a way the story isn't. Like how the unseen monster is way scarier than the man in the rubber monster suit.

But Hickman just really managed to stick the landing with his Avengers run, even when all the fan theories were flying.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

One Piece.

Train in your path?
Cut it in half.

That's odd. I read that manga years ago and that's not how I remember it occurring.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

dont even fink about it posted:

I didn't think Red Skull was that much of a direct physical threat, even for Captain America, let alone for 1st-to-2nd tier mutant demigod.

When we say throw everything he has at Mag's, it was stuff like Sci-fi ray guns, robots, super powered humans and death gas.
Nothing worked.
It was pretty cool.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

drat that only occurred to me now.
It was the Skull using his patented Red Dust hidden inside his cigar thing that makes a person face go red and look skull like.* He blew it at Mag's face and I think he just stops it with a magnetic force field at the last second.

*= Totally original idea. Nobody show this to the Joker.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Wow. I've seen the first page loads of times, but never that second page with the gas. Which honestly is so hilarious I am shocked it hasn't shown up here before.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

zoux posted:

Are you sure, kind of the whole concept of the book is "more power"

Superman: I did it, I made a pill that supercharges humans so they are as tough as Kryptonians. RUGH RUGH RUGH RUGH!
(Punches through Green Arrow and the Joker.)
Oh no, I murdered some people. Looks like it's back to prison for me. RUGH RUGH RUGH RUGH!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

prefect posted:

When a guy is stronger and tougher than just about everybody, and also has laser eyes, you might not expect him to have developed his fighting skills so much.

What I love about those panels is he is fighting other Kryptonians. Like sure maybe those guys are trained soldiers and stuff.
But they have had super powers for like a day. They know how to punch harder and faster.

Superman has had a lifetime of fighting kryptonite cyborgs and power absorbing parasite men as training.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

As far as I'm aware didn't Deadpool get something as part of this deal. Like an angel feather or a pimp hat?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I think the Cassidys are all immune to each other.

I can't think of many other mutant families that have powers that would really work that way. It's not like Quicksilver would slow down from touching Scarlet Witch or something.

It is a really obscure part of mutant lore (one often forgotten.) But it has come up.

During Generation X, Emma Frosts human sister showed up. And Emma couldn't read her mind as she was immune on account of being brother and sister.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Ferrule posted:

I'm not up to date at all on X-lore but I do have a weird couple of questions?

I remember back in the 90's an arc of Amazing Spider-Man (or maybe Marvel Tales ft. Spider-Man, whatever) guest starring Beast, because Pete and MJ were concerned about having children and if they'd be a mutant (on account of Pete's power's and all).

So - is that how it works? And is Annie May in Renew Your Vows a mutant? And what about two mutants having a child (I know, I know, there's a bunch of Summer's kids out there...) are they automatically mutants? Are they super mutants? Do the powers get passed on like other genetic traits (hair color, eye color, eye-punch-lasers)?

So being a mutant is a thing. It's not an automatic thing but generally a superhuman or a mutant is far more likely to have a mutant child.
(Reed Richards and Sue Storm are both not mutants. But Franklin is. I'm not sure if they have decided if Valerie is or not.)
But it's not a garunteed thing.
Sabertooth and Mystique had a kid together who was a human politician, Grandoyn Creed.

And Quicksilver (was a mutant. Then he wasn't. Not sure what he is now.) and Crystal (an Inhuman.) Had Luna together.
And for the longest time Luna was just human. But her dad loved her anyway.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sentinels are dumb but they’re not that dumb.

Sentinels are not programmed to discover clobberin' time.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Galvanik posted:

The 1950s chinese Iron Fist did. In show I think the actual explanation is that Danny is just bad at his job.

I thought the Iron Fist in that found footage was supposed to be Orson Randall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

goatface posted:

Doom is probably also augmented to gently caress with internal technology and mystical bullshit. Dude naked in a field would probably count as superhuman.

A Celestial stripped Doom naked and dumped him on Counter Earth. The first thing naked Doom did was kill a Lion and skin it.