Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Alhazred posted:

From the Straczynski run:

Not to take away from this, but it is rather hypocritical of Thor to get mad at tony for doing this when he became the all-father, killed the avengers, took over earth, then had to send himself back in time to stop himself from doing that. And that wasn't an alternate universe either it was 616. Of course due to the nature of time travel, the future where Thor kills the avengers, takes over the planet etc. etc. is now only an alternate universe.

but gently caress it, Civil War and its fallout were dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Stands were introduced over Ripple because Hirohiko Araki decided that he'd pretty much stretched Hamon as far as he could. It was also the time when he started noticing a lot of manga doing a "Strongest in the world" style of enemy. So instead he thought up a collection of powers that rather than one person being able to do absolutely everything, they would each have something they could do, and then smack them together to see how they interacted. In the beginning, the powers were vague and basic, based off typical "ESP" powers, because that was the influence, it was also referred to as a "Ghostly Ripple" to keep the ties together. But upon the point where he realized "Man who can control fire to melt through steel is so basic and powerful that I can't have him do anything" Stands became much more diverse with their powers. Stands that possess objects, Stands that make you magnetic, stands that de-age you, stands that can control you from a puncture wound. A lot of them were also based on horror movies Araki liked, such as a stand that attacked you in your dreams.

As the series got past the third arc they got weirder and weirder. A Stand that allows you to turn people into books and read them, or write in new memories/commands. A Stand that can weaponize sound effects, A Stand that can turn anything it touches into a bomb, a stand that can "Chapter Skip" 30 seconds of time, a stand that can turn anything biological into something else biological, such as turning a tooth into a jelly fish. The latest protagonist Stand "Soft and Wet" is able to steal the properties of objects.

There is no "Ultimate Stand" and while there are objectively powerful ones, it really comes down to how you use your ability.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ferrule posted:

Even after wagering the soul, reading right to left, he still has chips.

Hence, anime is dumb.

I realize you're kidding but, context anyway

D'arby is a servant of the main villain, Dio. His power, Osiris, allows him to take the souls of someone who has admitted defeat in their heart. He has already taken the souls of Polnareff and Joseph Joestar, both times by rigging the game. Jotaro has challenged him to poker, confident that Star Platinum's precision can let him catch D'arby cheating (It can), D'arby owns everyone in the area however, and the "Third Party" they bring in to deal, is dealing Jotaro a bum hand. On the first hand Jotaro loses the pieces of his soul he bet. On the second, he refuses to look at his cards, which D'arby sees as Jotaro trying to psyche him out. Until he notices that Jotaro has a Cigarette, from out of nowhere. And then when he's calming himself that no matter how fast Star Platinum is, Jotaro couldn't replace his ENTIRE hand without D'arby noticing. Then he sees that Jotaro has a drink, again from seemingly nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP1arj7AYuI

This is also a hint to the future, that D'arby is aware that Dio has the power to stop time, and suspects that's how Jotaro is doing everything.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So the actual story behind "Diesel" the Jojo fancomic that somehow was actually published no seriously. Was that the person who wrote it watched the OVA and was like "WOW! I need to show this to everybody. But how?" And thus, that...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Superman #9

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Read Superman #8 and 9 right now.

Also 1-7

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Technically not saving Uncle Ben wouldn't count, because without Ben pushing up daisies, he wouldn't be Spider-Man.

That reminds me of an old Alan Scott story, where he's taken back in time and has a chance to prevent Martha and Thomas Wayne's death, he debates whether or not it would be worth basically making Batman never exist before deciding that as a hero he has to do what's right and intervening.

Said intervention inspired Bruce to become Batman anyway, so as to help people in danger just like Alan did.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

That's mighty loving convenient.

The point, is that Bruce was an inherently heroic individual, he did not, in fact, need the tragedy of his parents being murdered when he was a child to make him a hero. If it hadn't been that or Alan, it would have been something else. It is a counter to the claims that heroes necessarily need a tragic moment in their lives to become heroes (Daredevil also tackles this, where Matt gets pissed off at the assumption that one cannot necessarily be heroic without having suffered something in the past to make them heroic.)

WickedHate posted:

"Yes father, I shall become a bat."
"That's great Bruce, me and your mother support you, but could you please help me get this thing out of the study?"

Please. The Waynes are rich, they have people to do that for them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I would argue it's there for the beginning stops being a thing for a bit then Comes back. The silly seems more like a aberration than anything else.

I would argue against that as outside of his origin story mentioning it, Batmans early comics rarely feature him being mopey about his parents or the trauma. That didn't start happening for a good while.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

That is completely retarded. A super wealthy person like wayne has waaaay more power and ability to change things, than some rear end in a top hat in a cape.

It's not about putting criminals behind bars or funding the police force. It's about instilling fear. "Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot." Batman is effective not simply because he can put them in jail, but because they fear him, he becomes the bed time story, every time someone thinks of committing a crime, there is the feeling in the back of their head, "Batman will find me." And they may brush it off "Batman wouldn't be there for little old me." and then Batman is there for little old you, and he stops you.

Bruce Wayne cannot make the criminal element fear him as Bruce Wayne.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Only one that occurs to me is a J.M. DeMatteis fill-in issue of JLA just before the last Morrison story arc, which I think took place pretty soon after Hal Jordan became the Spectre. It has a bit where Martian Manhunter takes the Spectre and the JLA into the Joker's head, where they find this friendly couple who welcome them and invite them to make themselves at home, to prove that there's something to redeem even in the most twisted human mind of all.

Basically every time the Spectre interacts with the Joker there's an excuse for not killing him.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

I think it requires a lot of cognitive dissonance to ignore all the times that he's taken them to get help, been sympathetic to their plight, etc. At the end of the day if you really need mental help but you also kill a bunch of people because you're coping with your pain by letting a coin make all sorts of decisions (that you still frame and have control over) then you're still a loving murderer.

Like, his rogues all wind up in Arkham and not Gotham State because they are attempting treatment.

Not all of them, People tend to forget not all of Batmans rogues are criminally insane, some of them are just mobsters who wind up in Blackwater at the end of it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Not aware if this has been posted. Also don't care. Beta Ray Bill best bro

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sonic Megadrive - The Next Levels

It's only two pages but it's a very good fight

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Nick Fury whispered something to him.

We don't know what it is yet.

The implication from Unworthy 2 seems to be "Gods are unnecessary" Which... is loving retarded.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Like the actual hint in Unworthy 2 is Thor has a dream sequence where upon he's being crushed by Mjollnir's and then the God Butcher shows up and says "You're afraid I was right"

EDIT: Actual dialog

" 'What if they really are better off without us' Thor wondered in fear, even as he swung his mighty hammer. 'What if a Godless Age is what they deserve?' 'What if Gorr isn't a madman at all' 'Gods help us, what if he's...'"

So yeah, intent seems to be that the whisper is related to Gods being obsolete... Which is loving dumb.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 9, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

prefect posted:

Not to mention that it's not up to Thor or anything he knows/thinks he knows to decide whether or not he's worthy. It's Odin's frickin' spell, and it knows what's going on. :rant:
:goonsay:

Yes, but Odin doesn't know why it's not working because this is horrifically thought out and pretty much done to build up a mystery and almost everyone's been massively out of character for it. because apparently the Hammer has its own spirit and personality.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Horrible Taste posted:

But that dialog is originally from the God-Butcher arc during Thor and Gorr's fight. He was still worthy after that.

Yes but why is he dreaming of that being crushed by many Mjollnir's if it doesn't have something to do with it? And. at the least, then we can go "Jane got the hammer because she's a human and not a God." Which is still retarded, but if you don't think the answer to this whisper ISN'T going to be Retarded... You have more faith than I do.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ferrule posted:

This all makes me ask two things:

One - when did Mjolnir suddenly become sentient? I've seen folks post about this in the past. Just curious when the all happened.

Two - how come Jane Foster, a human, is suddenly transformed into a god? I mean, this just kinda came into my head. Thor (Odinson) is a god and he wields a magic hammer giving him even more power. But he's a god (or magical Asgardian, whatever hand-wave). So he's tough even without Mjjjornilir. But since when does the hammer have the ability to turn a normal whatever into a god? Is it a radioactive hammer giving the proportionate strength and speed of a stone hammer to it's worthy weirder? Where did this new ability of the hammer come from? The whole Don Blake thing was a disguise - not empowering a human, no matter how worthy - with this power.

1. On October 19th.

quote:

Ages ago, an unimaginably powerful cosmic storm called the God Tempest approached Asgard. Called the "Mother of Thunder," the storm possessed the power to knock planets out of their orbit and make black holes shake. Odin, chief of the Norse gods, battled the storm for many days when it threatened Asgard. Once the storm was weakened enough, Odin defeated the God Tempest by trapping it into a chunk of Uru that was given to him by the Dwarves of Nidavellir as a gift.

2. Understand that the hammer has... changed how exactly it works over the years. In the beginning Donald Blake was a human man who turned into a super hero with the hammer. Then it was revealed he was Actually Thor and all that. Basically, where the Hammer sits now is sort of just a mid-point of how it worked. Now it bestows "The Powers of Thor" even though that doesn't really make much sense since Thor didn't derive his powers from the hammer until very recently. In short. It's magic. Ain't gotta explain poo poo. There are examples of it in the past. Erik Masterson who later became Thunderstrike was Thor for a while (After being merged with Thor). It worked that way when Beta Ray Bill was first introduced, later Bill got Stormbringer which has "Energy Projection" to simulate the lightning.

There are also examples of the Hammer absolutely not working that way, but as with all things Comic Books, you can basically pick and choose.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ferrule posted:

Already a genetically modified warrior, pre-hammer. Not a doctor. With cancer. Who's dying.

It still gave him the "Powers of Thor" then. Please accept that this is just a case where Jason Aaron has settled on how the hammer works. You don't have to like it (I sure as poo poo don't. But Sif apparently wasn't selling which makes me sad.) but it's how it is.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

WickedHate posted:

My interpretation is that the hammer is the bestower of the godly station of thunder. Otherwise Thor is just an alien norse dude.

Which he could never reveal to Jane Foster, for how could she love...a man with a slight limp!?

Don't forget that this period also revealed that Jane Foster was secretly Sif

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Except the enchantment has taken on a life of its own and now determines for itself who is worthy. Odin himself, hilariously, is not. :v:

Well he shouldn't have gone full Patriarch

Never go full Patriarch

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

robziel posted:

Is that... real? Like, not edited but an actual page of a published comic?

It's an edit. but that's BASICALLY what Odin's new characterization is.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Parahexavoctal posted:

okay, but who made it? Where'd it come from? Have they done more?

Illuminating Comics. Yes though they've stopped the series after finishing Secret Wars.

But now for an actual badass panels

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Superman 15

Someone is hunting the Supermen across the Multiverse, with Clark and some Multiversal JLAers picking the ones up they can find.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

Someone post Spidey no selling the Punisher again (one of my all time favorites)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

From zero to pure unadulterated hatred.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Mutants are a Metaphor for any Oppressed Group really.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

People always talk about mutants being a minority or homosexuals, but it rarely comes up that mutants can be a stand in for youth.

EDIT: You know what never mind.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sorry, I don't find Grimdark Volstagg badass at all, it's just kinda depressing and poo poo.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Also the public library called, they say there's already a norse god of war.

You will accept that Thor is a title and not a name and you will like it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Pffft. Midoriya-shounen does that every drat day. :japan:

He's stopped doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The Immortal Hulk #12

Context: Bruce is in hell, having physically been split from the hulk, while his Devil-Father is trying to use him to bring about the end of the world.