Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Those are valid examples, although you'd be hardpressed to find a casual comic book fan who knew of any of them besides Steel.

And I think the fact that Thunderball is smart (but not falling into the "evil because they're so tortured by their intellect" trope) and still chooses to be a villain is a neat bit of characterization.

You need to read his appearance in Damage Control!

(we miss you, Dwayne McDuffie)

Oh, and for badass - read the "When Doom Defaults" issue.

("Do you have ID? ..... Do you have photo ID?")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Travis343 posted:

PURE ANIMAL INSTINCT WITHOUT PAUSE TO CONSIDER THE CONSEQUENCES still allows him time to make a pithy quip while he slices a dude's face apart, apparently.

Talking is a free action.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Clamknuckle posted:

All I see is the Sovereign falling down a hole of Killingers.

At first, I saw Johnny Storm falling down a hole of Mole Men.

As for Captain America saying amazing stuff - I'm reminded of how Ben Urich (Frank Miller) described him in Daredevil:

"a soldier with a voice that could command a god -- and does."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I also like subtle badassery, exemplified by people making huge sacrifices to support a moral principle. For instance, the scene at the end of the second issue of Astro City, where Elliot Mills acknowledges that all those years ago... his editor was right to kill the story because there was absolutely no proof of any of it.

Or the scene during "Zero Tolerance" where Creed offers J. Jonah Jameson a CD with enough information to destroy every superhero's secret identity on the condition that the Daily Bugle support Creed in the imminent clusterfuck, and Jameson grinds out his cigar onto the disk until it's unreadable. An individual copy of the Bugle is for sale. The Bugle as a whole is not.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

correction - it's Bastion, not Creed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Ferrule posted:

There's been one-shots and a few mini-series and crossover tie-ins but I would legit read an on-going Ben Urich: Investigative Reporter comic.

"Peter, I'm an award-winning investigative reporter. You and I have worked side by side for over ten years. Frankly, it's a little insulting that you'd think I wouldn't know." -- Ben Urich, somewhere in Bendis's Daredevil run.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Wanderer posted:

I always thought the last piece of the puzzle for Urich had to have been when Peter admitted to JJJ that he knew Daredevil's secret identity, back during Bendis's "Out" storyline. I have no real firm basis for that besides that it would sort of make sense.

I'm pretty sure Urich explicitly stated that was the last piece, yeah. (Well, that and the fact that if Spider-Man was seen rescuing people from a fire, Peter would smell like he'd been in a fire.)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

The artist is just inspired by the greatest comic of our time, Jojo

I understand the point of that panel, but I can't help seeing Bruce as doing a facepalm.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Calaveron posted:

I like how Spidey evolve from having his quips being something interesting and cathartic to read while he beat on somebody, to having his quips be a legit part of his fighting style to taunt, confuse, irritate and throw off balance his opponents

Also, realize that his quips are being fueled by his precognitive abilities (i.e., the spider-sense). He doesn't just improv these on the spur of the moment, he improvs them before the spur of the moment.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Nilbop posted:

A fickle god mockingly killing a powerless servant is about as badass as that panel of Poison Ivy taunting someone as her plant dissolved his legs to mush.

Seriously, Kill 6 Billion Demons is a great webcomic (and so is Necropolis, which has appeared here a bunch of times), but neither the intent nor the effect of that scene is "Wow, that's badass."

A key aspect of 'badass', I think, is the will to keep going even when in a situation where one is seemingly overpowered. When one is so much more powerful than one's opponent, there's very little that can be considered badass.

The Spectre killing everyone on death row (including the guards, because they were dirty), that's not badass. Jim Corrigan convincing Madame Xanadu to relinquish the power of the Spectre, that's badass.

Skurge shooting someone, that's not badass. Skurge standing alone at Gjallerbru, as thousands upon thousands of demons rush him... that's badass.

Jesse Custer using the Word to make Hoover count three million grains of sand, that's not badass. Featherstone throwing herself out of a moving car before Jesse can figure out what the gently caress is going on, clambering to her feet, sprinting off the highway , and hiding face-down in a ditch with her fingers shoved in her ears so that she can't hear the Word...

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Here's some content I found elsewhere. In a DC / Judge Dredd crossover, Judge Death is freed by the Joker. In way of thanks, Death tries to possess the Joker:

lookit that smile

Of course, trying to inhabit the mind of the Joker is... well, not fun.

I'm reminded of the scene from Morrison's run on JLA where the Joker gets hold of the Cosmic CubeWorlogog and starts destroying the world while laughing hysterically, and then J'onn yells STOP

and the Joker stops laughing

and he can't figure out what's wrong, nothing seems funny any more, oh god he's been hurting people, what's wrong

and Superman asks, what are you doing, J'onn

and J'onn says

"I'm making him sane."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I'm going to guess he doesn't 'fix things' very well.

He undoes all the terrible things he'd done on the previous page (which included carving the Earth into a "ten-thousand-mile-long smile from Patagonia to Asia Minor"). Then he drops the Worlogog. Then J'onn loses his grasp and the Joker reverts to howling insanity.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

poo poo, in the Ultimate universe he survived as just a head. Didn't need to breathe and yet without lungs or much of a throat he could still talk. That's straight up magic.

I'm reminded of Morag the Immortal, in Oglaf. (WARNING: in case you weren't aware, 90% of Oglaf is intensely NSFW)

when dealing with a god, Morag -- though immortal -- gets reduced to a severed head.

So she has no lungs or throat with which to talk. Which means that, in order to provide important plot information, somebody needs to blow into her trachea stump.

http://oglaf.com/furniture/3/

http://oglaf.com/bellows/

http://oglaf.com/bellows/2/

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

Does this new version of ROM go around mass murdering people all over the world and handwaving it away with NO YOU JUST CAN'T SEE THROUGH THEIR FLAWLESS DISGUISES LIKE I CAN WITH MY NEUTRALIZER RAY I'M NOT EVEN KILLING THEM IT JUST REALLY LOOKS LIKE IT

If not, :nallears:

does Bill Mantlo get a piece of the action?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Trast posted:

Amen to that. Let's have an argument over why Batman would be a much more interesting villain.

Last week I read the trade of Mark Millar's Nemesis, alternately described as "what if Batman was the Joker" and "what if Batman was a oval office".

Trast posted:

Batman would be a much more interesting villain.

How I wish you were right.

(Although the scene where the President of the United States decides to go out as a suicide bomber instead of a hostage in a 'KILL EITHER YOUR WIFE OR THE PRESIDENT' dilemma is pretty badass.)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

Didn't that comic have a scene where said character got a woman pregnant with her brother's child, and 'rigged' her womb so if she aborted the incest baby, she will never have children again?

In the end, she had triplets, which her parents happily adopted.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

Didn't that comic have a scene where said character got a woman pregnant with her brother's child, and 'rigged' her womb so if she aborted the incest baby, she will never have children again?

Oh, and that reminds me. When I first learned of that scene, I thought the point was that she was his barely-pubescent daughter. But she's his adult daughter, who was selected by NemesisMillar for this victimization because she already had an abortion.

So why is it being presented as if it's her father's choice?

It's strange -- you show me Batman riding on the outside of a commercial jet, and smashing open the cockpit and taking control of the plane, I'd think that was pretty badass. But when Nemesis rode on Air Force One a thousand feet up and crawled to the cockpit and shot the pilots dead through the windshield and then took the President hostage and forced the plane to ram into the ground and collide with a tanker truck full of gasoline, I just rolled my eyes.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 22, 2016

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Cornwind Evil posted:

Nemesis shows one of Millar's really big issues: instead of trying to conceive of a villain whose vile deeds make organic sense, it comes off far more like he sat down, made a checklist of the worst things he could think of, and then had the villain do them with magic never fail plot powers. Terrible deeds do not inherently make a great villain, especially when they come off as forced as Millar's tend to.

His Ultimate Red Skull was another example. He clearly felt he had to try and top the original, but how do you top a murderous, hateful Nazi? Turns out you really can't, and in trying you almost make the villain a pitch-black comedy figure.

I'm not interested enough in knowing what he did that I'll track down the issues in question and read them. I am interested enough, though, that I'll ask. What did Millar's Ultimate Red Skull do?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

prefect posted:

Are they pronounced the same way?

depends on your accent.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

X-O posted:

Yes, Tyrone Cash the original Hulk. Professor turned supervillain turned Ultimate Avenger turned traitor to SHIELD who was working for Carol Danvers, also traitor to SHIELD, well maybe traitor. He also met the same fate as Red Skull, shot in the face by Fury while laying in a hospital bed.

Mark Millar didn't really write a lot of good stuff. I can name three times at least, off the top of my head that someone is murdered by a "good guy" while laying in a hospital bed.

I'm sure Millar would argue that, since it was done by one of the good guys, it was an execution not a murder.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

what is with the ultimate universe and cannibalism

there's this (millar)
there's the bit with ultimate blob eating ultimate wasp (loeb, i think)
there's "hulk eat freddie prinze jr" (millar, right?)

is there more?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Ashcans posted:

When the Chitaurii invade the earth in Ultimates, the chief villain (Kleiser) has a ridiculous healing factor that makes him basically invulnerable. This is resolved by having Hulk eat him, and then SHIELD capturing and containing the resulting waste in a bunch of canisters.

... and that reminds me of the literal pile-of-poo poo character from Wanted (by, of course, Millar). The poo poo golem made from the feces of the 666 worst people in history.

When Ennis writes stuff like Arseface, or Ma Gnucci getting her limbs eaten by polar bears, it doesn't feel as stupid, somehow. Why is that?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

It's still pretty stupid. Ennis just likes to mix his needless profanity and excessive violence with existential or futurist wank, so it feels "balanced".

I think you're thinking of Ellis.

edit: Actually, I think I've figured out the difference -- why Millar's profanity and excessive violence doesn't feel the same as when Ennis does it. Ennis tries to include moments of genuine emotion; the characters exist for more than just the shock moments. Millar could have written the scene where A-Train accidentally killed Wee Hughie's girlfriend, but he wouldn't have gone into detail about how Hughie was affected by it. Similarly, Hitman wouldn't have been a success if not for Hackett, Sean Noonan, SixPac, etc.

Millar could have written Section Eight, but Ennis made us feel sorry for them.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 24, 2016

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

I really disliked that variation of Hulk tremendously. The part where the nurses make fun of Banner so he intentionally turns himself into the Hulk so he can rape and eat them was the worst treatment of the characters I've ever heard of.

That's certainly bad. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's rear end.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Was this the same guy who wrote the "pubescent alien girl has literally apocalyptic periods"?

... do tell?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Mover posted:

Let's not forget one of the dumber Rogue power steals of all time

Hm. Is it fair to say that the difference between Ghost Rider and the Spectre is just power levels?

(oh, and re: Rogue - there was the time Leech jumped on her, and they both got knocked unconscious.)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

goatface posted:

And a motorbike. Sometimes a horse, or a truck, or a scooter.

I'm thinking about a geologist receiving the power of Ghost Rider.

I'm thinking about him standing in the middle of a field, and saying....

"Continental Drift."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

TGG posted:

Unless I'm wrong Connor is half black so that makes a fair amount of sense, I'm more stunned at his look of shock not going at all with what he's saying.

"Connor is of mixed Asian, African, and European heritage (his mother was half black and half Korean, and his father Oliver is white), and was originally depicted with Asiatic features, dark skin, and fair hair and eyes. However, this has not been consistently maintained across different artists and colorists"

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gu_Gu

Despite their "cute" appearance, pandas are still bears, and will gently caress you up if you give them a reason.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

There wouldn't be no Bane if his country had prison reform!

and there'd be no Joker if that poor comedian had been able to take his pregnant wife for a pre-natal checkup at the Wayne Memorial Free Hospital, so that she wasn't home when their apartment building burned down.

"Hey, do you want to be recruited into our plan to rob the chemical plant?"
"Sorry, guys, I gotta take my wife to her appointment at the hospital. Maybe another day?"

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

uPen posted:

Did his doctor say he should keep wearing his super-villain mask? I'm sure that helps.

it grows back.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

prefect posted:

Yes. I think it involves perfume and music.

To be fair, I think she's a psychic (with synesthesia).

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

Top Ten is a great comic both in its general writing, and in the entire setting itself--a procedural police department in a city where everyone is some sort of "super hero"/Monster/Magical being/Whatever. I only wish we had gotten more of it (besides you know, the weird stuff Alan Moore decided to do with Jeff Smax in the back half of the series)

There's Top Ten itself (12 issues)

and the Smax mini (5 issues)

and the hardcover prequel, "The Forty-Niners"

and Top Ten, Season Two (four issues, plus one special, and then it suddenly stops; written by Zander Cannon).

There's also "Top Ten: Beyond the Farthest Precinct", by Paul di Filippo. It's not worth reading.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

:siren: Dont read Season Two or Beyond they are utter trash :siren:

Beyond was trash, yes. What did you dislike about Season Two?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I have to say, burying a message to Robyn that way is... well, it's an indicator of unbelievably vast power. Does that count as badass?

What about where someone stretches their power and will to the limit, and then PAST their limits... and then it snaps and they're killed horribly? Does that count as badass? I'm thinking in particular of the death of Inertia, in Mark Gruenwald's 1989 Squadron Supreme GN.

the Squadron is dealing with a Giant Human Hand that's slowly but inexorably reaching through a rift in space. Apparently it's going to grab the Sun. Which could make the sun pop. And Gruenwald (of blessed memory) chose to portray this in terms of genuine astronomical sizes and distances and masses.

the Squadron are in a ship out by the asteroid belt.

they've already lost their telepath who tried to grab hold of the mind attached to the Hand, so he could force it to stop. (His head exploded.)

so Inertia reaches out to it with her power. Maybe she can make it go backwards, y'know?

and she strains

and strains

and straiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiins

... and explodes into a pink mist.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

That's some St Elsewhere poo poo.

you realize the guy who first came up with the St Elsewhere theory was Dwayne McDuffie, yeah? Dude was all about comics and intercompany crossovers.

Choco1980 posted:

drat, I forgot about the secret message part. That was a cool bit.

Incidentally, it's a double secret message. Moore chose to emphasize the acrostic, but the rest of the message was actually meaningful too.

Robyn is the Earthly lass, and unless she heeds (listens, is careful), this primitive countryside rustic-type world/sphere/orb is gonna get her killed (be her nemesis).

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Yes. No.

okay, but who made it? Where'd it come from? Have they done more?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

Lake of Fire #5.

Sir Raymond, a Crusader embittered by the pointless wars and slaughter he's been party to, finds his faith again and a lightsaber when AN ALIEN loving STARSHIP CRASHES INTO THE PLANET UNLEASHING A TIDE OF ALIEN MONSTERS!

I really like the detail that he says his cup runs over, instead of runneth over.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Have Ghost Rider and Man-Thing ever teamed up? I imagine they'd burn the poo poo out of everything particularly if it is both evil and fearful.

you mean if they were criminals who were a cowardly and superstitious lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

wiegieman posted:

The best Beyonder retcon is that they were just loving with everybody, like they were with Nextwave.

Thank you for reminding me to listen to the Nextwave theme song.