Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Dolash posted:

I know it's par for the course in comic books, but how does being caught mid-air by a guy made of rocks then continuing to drop to the ground at all cushion you from the impact?

It's not the fall, it's the sudden stop. Rockslide caught them above his head but didn't stop them until his waist, about an eight foot difference, and at the same time Rockslide's sinking a foot into the pavement. All told they got to stop over the course of 9' instead of the 3-4 inches their own bodies' compression would allow. Assuming Rockslide managed the ideal amount of support as they all fell the force at any moment would be about 3% of if they'd hit the street.
:science:

EFB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

Meh kinda ignores the whole psychology of She-Hulk where Jennifer doesn't un-hulk often because Shulkie is her ideal self-image except green because Hulk.

Yeah, gamma monsters are best when they're projections of the original person's psychology. Unfortunately it looks like they dropped that when everyone started getting hulk powers.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

I would advise avoiding Space Punisher. It's very pretty art, but otherwise it's basically Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe, but "This Time it's in Space" so its' Totally Different!

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Jeffrey Combs, you may remember, was also Herbert West: Reanimator as well as Crawford Tillinghast in From Beyond. In other words, a great American hero

Don't forget he starred in a Dr. Strange movie that lost the license somewhere in production, Doctor Mordrid, and voices The Leader. A treasure indeed.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

PicklePants posted:

..If there's ever anything Marvel vs. DC again. I want want to hear the rage for when Doreen beats The One True Batman. One punch.

That one would actually make sense. She's stronger, faster, even Batman wouldn't expect to be swarmed by squirrels, and there's no way in hell he wouldn't massively underestimate her.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Robo-Ellis is a sidekick in Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Chinaman7000 posted:

I remember being confused why Zoom 2 could run around the world nonstop if his only power was time manipulation, though.

The water Zoom steps on can only move away from his feet at a finite acceleration, and he's only on any given chunk of water for an extremely short period of time. That still means that he's applying the full force of his body weight every step so he should leave a pretty huge wake. Really anything, including the air in front of him should feel like a brick wall to him if he goes fast enough, and doesn't also effect it with his powers but relative to us it's taking some pretty incredible impulse forces.

On the other hand if the Flash runs across water he's effectively dividing the downward force of his weight in between every step he takes and could be supported by the water tension. Other than accelerating or slowing down he probably wouldn't have much wake at all.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Either that or Jax him, two metal arms.

If he's only 5x as strong that would probably be a power boost.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Network Pesci posted:

There was a period where somebody else took over Pinhead's job as lead cenobite and evil warlocks or mad scientists tampering with eldritch things would always summon him and bind him with runefields or incantations or holy relics, but all those precautions never stopped Pinhead from busting a cap in their rear end with the gun he always used to depend on before he became Pinhead.

What was that in? One of the comics? I'd like to check that out

...unless it's one of the later movies.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

At least he doesn't have any teeth to get knocked out, or they'll be replaced... eventually.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Pretty much anything from Planet Hulk or WWH could go in this thread. There's a lot of great stuff there. Planet Hulk especially.

Definitely, anyone have Hulk's "I wanna hear you scream!"? I can't find it.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Y'all are seeing clips of pivotal moments and not seeing how the world is built.

Aside from a nominal rookie cop the entire run is done in media res and the Joe Pi scene is the climax of 12 issues worth of build-up. You see the precinct slowly uncover the pedophile ring and are built to hate what's going on as much as the cops do. It's also a showcase that yeah Joe Pi is kind-of a scumbag, which is upsetting after we witness him as the victim of anti-robot racism and go out of his way to build a rapport with his partner who is still grieving over the death of her old partner.

It also helps a lot if you realize that Moore was trying to launch Top 10 as an ongoing at ABC Comics in the early 00s to be picked up and shared with other writers, which is why he bailed without characters like Joe Pi getting any sort of comeuppance. The problem is that Moore and Ha were probably too successful in creating their world because frankly most other writers/artists can't match that level of sheer imagination and visual density, especially after Moore capitalized on big ideas like multiple universes and the JLA so early. The Top 10 follow-up books were nowhere near as good and are justly forgotten, and so the end of "good" Top 10--shortly after the Joe Pi scene--is largely left hanging.

While he clearly talked the Superman analog into suicide, it's not like Joe has any sort of Jessie Custer voice powers or even enough computational power to be manipulative to a super-power degree. He's not John Constantine, he can't talk you into bleeding to death. He just got upset and phrased Supes-lite's options in the worst possible way. It's been a while since I've read it but I think Joe Pi has almost as bad of an anger problem as Smax, he just presents it much differently. I would say it's less that Joe Pi is a scumbag and more that he got caught up in the situation just like the human(ish) detectives. I don't remember him doing anything else legally questionable in the series.

For that matter I don't think talking someone into suicide is illegal, even if you do it on purpose. While morally what he did is dubious at best, legally I think the worst that could happen is being reprimanded not for "poor performance" but not waiting for their actual negotiator(who does have a super-voice that forces compliance).

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Related, a girl who talked her friend into killing himself has recently been charged with involuntary manslaughter. So I guess we're going to find out.

Her role was much more involved, allegedly he had doubts and got out of the car he was gassing himself in, and she explicitly told him to get back in. So Joe probably played it close enough that it would be unlikely for anyone to decide to try to make charges stick.

If she actually told him to commit suicide that's a different animal. That could be considered coercing or even forcing him to do it, possibly with implied threat. Reguardless of intent, Joe literally told him not to harm himself.

The Question IRL posted:

Joe Pi phrased the conversation in such a way that Atomman would voluntarily kill himself rather than face justice.

The distinction that I don't think you're getting is that Joe couldn't say anything that was guaranteed to cause Atomman's death, he could only make intelligent guesses on what would increase the likelihood. At the end of the day the decision to die was Atomman's and his alone. Making anyone that told a potential suicide bad news criminally liable for their death would be an incredibly dangerous legal precedent especially if it happens to be true. Truth is usually an absolute defense in the few cases where free speech otherwise might not apply(it's illegal to yell fire in a crowded theater, but not if it's on fire).

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Gavok posted:

If the Ruin the Moment thread was still active, I would have changed that to "WITNESS ME!" a while back.

If you want to start a new one, or resurrect the old one I don't think anyone would argue.

I only contributed 2 or 3 last time around but if you do, I'll try for one a week, quality not guaranteed.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

He's also usually depicted as somewhere between 6'4"-6'6" and built like Adonis.

Sorry Lex, he still has the power of 4"s of reach and arms the size of your legs.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

and Kate has to babysit Maximus.

With Deadpool's "help".

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

I think it was a Gavok "ruin the moment" creation, but now I can't see this without thinking, "The Punisher HATES that fish".

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Avulsion posted:

I liked it when they conscripted a bunch of kids and told them they either had to kill people for the government or be crippled via nanomachines, but that was mostly because of Taskmaster and Ant-Man being the laziest heroes ever.

Hell yeah, "Taskmaster's Summer Camp for Assholes" was the best. Don't forget Constrictor being part of that weird buddy-cop action.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'd call that more "I've got a literal half-ton of ballast I can't get rid of, gently caress you for being quick on your feet :mad:"

Now that I say that, I don't actually know how much his Adamantium weighs. I know it's a lot.

I've seen something that said he was about 500lbs with the Adamantium and 225 without. The No-prize answer I've heard circle is that the extra weight actually makes him stronger. His healing factor lets him rapidly repair damage equivalent to weight lifting over and over again until he eventually gets used to/compensates for the extra poundage.

It probably doesn't hurt that before he was on Every superhero team the only things he seemed to do at the x-mansion were train in the danger room, hit on Jean, get drunk & watch hockey, and more danger room.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

I can't remember if it's mentioned in the comic, but it'd make sense if they couldn't have children with anyone, since they're troll-human hybrids.

Their mom wasn't exactly human either. I forget how they explain it but the force blast and invulnerability were from mom. They inherited the size, strength, and a little more "really loving hard to kill" from dad. To take out their old man they had to stake him to the ground in his sleep and burn him to ash because he was still fighting when he was mostly skeletonized .

Jeff actually identifies his race for paperwork. I think it's Demi-Ogre but that's more excuse than I need for a reread.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

iirc they all draw from the same pool of hardboiled detective types.
And while phantom isnt the the direct inspiration for detective batman, im willing to bet he is for caped avenger bats.

Don't they usually credit "The Shadow" as the main inspiration?

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

What about the claw guy? Wasn't he called Klaw, or the crimson claw or some poo poo? Being a scrawny rear end kid, I used to hate muscle guys. I even lumped in Thor as "Conan with a hammer." Which would actually be really rad. Kids!

It's not his primary weapon, but the main character of Wolfskin carries a war mallet. It's pretty brutal when he uses it, actually that whole series is competing in some sort of violence Olympics.

Wolfskin Hundredth Dream #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

The way he's standing makes it look like he can't bend his legs, and now I'm imagining him striding forward by having to pivot his locked legs from the hips :allears:

Avulsion posted:

None of his joints actually work, he just floats around on repulsors.

Didn't he used to have built in rocket skates?